Affliction Chapter 2 : Lu Han

Affliction

It was just another nice sunny day, a typical day in district 9. However, to Luhan it’s not a nice day. It’s just another bright day with another gloomy mood. Despite of everyone having friends to practice with, he has no one.

Sitting in the corner of the practice room, seeing everyone interact, shifting his gaze to the window outside. He is really lonely. He likes to watch kids playing with their friends. Kids are innocent. He smiled watching them play. It’s the only thing keeping him company, basically. Everyday in the past ten years. Agonizing ten years. Ten years without friend, no one to talk to, no one to practice with.

“At least I’m a demigod, I know who my dad is. Unlike Joonmyun” He mumbled.

Through all these times, he’s still grateful.

He shifted his eyes back to the people who are practicing. He usually gets the ‘leftovers’ –-as they called them, usually the other outcasted one— to practice with. People would stare at him like he has a disgusting and infecting chronic skin disease. Doesn’t matter. He’s used to it anyway. He waited patiently, as the painful thought came and made him weak again.

“It’s not like being Hades’ son is my choice” he thought out loud one time, only to get back home with black eyes and bruises everywhere. His mom can only sob silently while wiping his blood and tears that day. It took a long time for Lu Han to convince his mom that it’s okay, it’s not her fault to fell in love with Hades.

He winced at that painful memory. His head hurts so much from that thought, so does his heart. He wanted to run away to a better place, to a place where people can accept him for who he is, despite being Hades’ son. He was about to make an excuse so he can skip the practice, but then he heard a faint, distant voice calling for his name.

“Son of Hades…..”

And there’s silence. When people usually get cheers when they hear their name, he gets silence instead. People refuse to even call him by his name. He groaned while trying to get up.

“…….versus Son of Aphrodite, Key!”

There’s loud cheering at the mention of Key’s name. He’s really talented and a really  strong fighter. He’s popular for his good looks, good complexion, good attitude, and good everything. He never made fun of Lu Han, and this time he slightly bowed at Lu Han.

Lu Han bowed back.

The loud cheering hurts his ears and head. His head is pounding, and his heart is thumping so hard against his ribcage. He’s a strong fighter too, but being an outcast is really a disadvantage for him. No one really paid attention. He rarely gets called. No one knew he’s a good fighter.

But today, however, he’s going to show it all. He’s been practicing for so long on his own. Nobody’s been noticing him, he’s sick of it. He’s going to show that he’s worth it. He’s not going to let people make fun of him anymore.

He stepped to the arena bravely, head held high, fingers forming a fist. He had a determined look on his face. For your mom, for yourself. for the sake of joining District 1. he chanted those words in his head repeatedly.

Key, on the other side of the stage, however is not moving. Not showing any sign of interest. Unlike Lu Han, he has no slight interest in going to District 1, joining the gods, their fathers or mothers. And even though he looked like he’s not the type to judge someone outside, deep inside he’s still not thinking that Lu Han is capable, so he’s handling it easy. Waiting for Lu Han to attack first.

Lu Han, on the other side is waiting too. It’s been awhile since the sound of the trumpet can be heard, signaling that the battle starts but no one is attacking. The audiences started murmuring things that Lu Han could care less about. Key, on the other side was just staring at him blankly, eyes shifting, scanning Lu Han from head to toe. Lu Han fidgeted as Key’s eyes moved judgingly. When are we going to start?!

“What are you doing?!”
“When are you going to start?!”
“Yah! Key! What are you waiting for? Just attack that cursed kid!”


People started shouting. Lu Han’s mind was wandering, then the loud shouting reminds him that he had to practice. He held the sword high, staring at the opponent fiercely. His soul burning with mix of excitement and anxiety. Key on the other side, who was disinterested, felt something burning in his chest after seeing the fierce stare. He’s taking that as a signal that he should not underestimate Hades’ son. Despite being an outcast, Hades’ son is still Hades’ son. Just the stare is enough to pierce through his skull.

He shivered.

Soon, the battle started. Clashes and bangs can be heard everywhere, echoing in the arena. People held their breath watching them fight. Even Key, who is famous for his ‘not-interested-in-practice’ title is now battling furiously, waving his sword in swift movement, aiming for one of Lu Han’s vital limbs, but Lu Han somehow always managed to avoid Key’s blade on the right time, or jerk free from Key’s grip.

Key, however, being always not interested in almost every practice, had hit his limit. He couldn't fight anymore. His lungs aching for oxygen, his limbs and joints screamed in protest because of the sudden pressure. Lu Han, still looking furious and excited, keeps on attacking him. He brought him to a corner, and slammed him down. People gasped in surprise, not even expecting Lu Han, the lonely boy, turning Key down just like this.

“Such an unexpected battle, the Victor is Son of Hades.........” The announcer paused in such an awkward tone, hesitating whether to mention Lu Han’s name or not.
“Lu Han” He added for the announcer, and then walked off the arena, leaving people in the stadium all in awe.