Affliction - Prologue

Affliction

It was raining in District 9.The sun was not shining anymore, in fact it’s dark now, matching his mood. The sound of the thunder only making him feeling worse than ever. The rainy days that he used to like, slowly turning to the day he hates the most. He will never forget this day, when his brother turned his back against him. Rainy day could not felt any colder than this. His body trembled. From the coldness of the rain, from the cold stare he receives from the older boy.

“H-how? Why did you..?” he stuttered. He could feel his eyes burning, then in a blink, hot tears start streaming down his cheeks. Even his feet betrays him. They refused to stand still. At the end, he fell on his knee, not even thinking to get up. He slowly slid down, now crying in the sitting position.

When people see that kind of scene, young boy crying in the middle of the rain, they will obviously help him to stand up. But instead of doing that, the other man just stared at him coldly. His lips twitching up in amusement, no hint of guilt in his eyes. Even if it's obvious that he’s the reason why his ‘brother’ is in this state. He starts turning his back.

“Wait!!” the younger one shouted agonizingly. “I thought we’re brothers!” he cried as the back of his ‘brother’ slowly got further. He cried as if that will make the other boy come back to him, telling him that this is just a joke.

The older stopped walking. But, without turning around to face him, he just scoffed.
“Brothers? What brothers,” he said as he walked away. Leaving the other men at loss of words, processing what had just happened


This could not possibly be right. This is not the truth. He must be joking. The younger boy says to himself repeatedly, hoping that the words will comfort him, but no. Taemin had really just left. Leaving him alone with no reason. Leaving him as if he had just done something wrong. The look in Taemin’s eyes were convincing. He really did want to leave.

He could’ve just shifted right away, but his energy is somehow drained. He ended up there, sitting on the cold asphalt, hands slowly creeping up, wiping the hot tears away. The rain keep on dripping down, soaking his skinny body. He know that he must get up and find a shelter before he passed out, but his already aching and almost freezing limbs refuses to move. He keeps on trying to get up, calling for help but no one was there.

He felt dizzy and nauseous, but he tried to stand up. Before he could, his vision got blurred. There’s loud, annoying ringing sounds surrounding him. He winces at the sound and blinked few times before he lost control of his own body. The world suddenly stopped spinning, the annoying high-pitched sounds went away, his eyes felt heavy. Finally, darkness is the only thing he could see.