Chapter 6 : In the distance someone is singing

Tonight I Can Write the Saddest Line

 

This is all. In the distance someone is singing.

In the distance

 


 

 

The sun was barely up and Chanyeol’s smile was much brighter than the still rising sun. The annoyed cab driver’s grunt whenever Chanyeol points out the way seemingly a senseless white in the lad’s brightly splashed morning. The taxi pulled up in front of the huge gate of Baekhyun’s family complex and Chanyeol spared a glance to the cloudless early morning sky before starting long strides towards the open side-gate, passing by the first few apartment doors and stopping by the smallest apartment just short of the main house.

 

Kyungsoo’s dreamless sleep was interrupted by the non-stop buzz of the doorbell and constant loud banging on the door. “What the hell.” He muttered sleepily as he stumbled out of bed, running a hand through his sleep-matted hair. Kyungsoo almost forgot to pull his shirt down that has somehow ridden up to half of his torso in his sleep when the buzzing doorbell resounded once more accompanied by the loud knocks and now that he’s near the door, he could hear a deep voice, not quite shouting but close enough, for him to open the door.

 

When Kyungsoo started unlocking the numerous security locks on his side of the door, the knocks finally stopped but the jives to open the door faster became loud enough to wake Kyungsoo’s patience and put on his usual pout and not the half-asleep sneer he was wearing all the way to the front door. “Chanyeol, for heaven’s sake why are you up and about in this ungodly hour?” Kyungsoo crossed his arms and retreated back inside, leaving the door open for the other to enter.

 

“Hi! We’re going on a campus tour! Hurry hurry!” Bouncing in the doorway, Chanyeol almost face planted having stepped on the spare slippers he’s always used.

 

“Campus tour? I haven’t even brushed my teeth.” Kyungsoo grumbled and dropped down the couch to curl up around the throw pillows. The day before, Chanyeol finally coaxed Kyungsoo to open the huge white envelope laouging on his side table and almost brought down the whole apartment when Chanyeol jumped up and down like an hyperactive child, apparently, Kyungsoo applied to Chanyeol's university, was accepted and to promplty start classes the week after to compensate for the lost time.

 

When Chanyeol finally managed to up himself and follow the other inside the house, a pout began to show despite his pursed lips, staring at Kyungsoo curled up on the couch. “Oh, come on aren’t you excited? We’re going to university together and our university’s really big. You should be glad I’m volunteering to tour you or you’d probably end up on the other side of the town on your first day.” He poked the other’s thighs and yelped when he was almost kicked.

 

“My classes start next week, why can’t we go a day before the next week starts or two days before that, why must we go now?” Came the muffled reply. It was clear Kyungsoo won’t be able to go back to sleep at this rate but he was still holding on the hope of having his eyes closed for a few more minutes.

 

Chanyeol stared at Kyungsoo before sitting on the couch beside him with a wide grin. “You’re really not getting up?” He asked and the grin widened when he heard the stubborn ‘no’. “Right. Then I’m gonna have to make you get up.” Warm hands found their way on Kyungsoo’s sides and long fingers began tickling their way up to the other’s underarms.

 

“What the hell Chanyeol!” Kyungsoo screamed, too out of it to even laugh as he tried to bat away the intrusive fingers, until he found himself sitting upright, Chanyeol’s hand on one shoulder and the other at the small of Kyungsoo’s back. With wide eyes, Kyungsoo stared up at the face too close to his, he could feel Chanyeol’s warm body pressed against his side and he stumbled out of the other’s hold before his mind gets ahead of himself. “I-I’m gonna shower!”

 

Chanyeol just laughed, that got him up quite fast. “Remember to brush your teeth too!” He shouted after the other and flopped down the couch trying to calm his rapidly beating heart. He could still feel the warmth of Kyungsoo pressed close to him and Chanyeol let his mind wander for a minute before organizing his thoughts and turning the TV on to keep himself occupied. Not that he could do much with the pillow under his head smelling so much like the person constantly clouding up his mind.

 

 

The university’s less than 5 minutes away by taxi from Kyungsoo’s apartment, 25 minutes by foot, two bus stops away and an excruciatingly 5 minutes pressed up in between the train doors and Chanyeol inside the subway train.

 

Kyungsoo kept his silence as Chanyeol wrapped an arm around his shoulders to stir him away from the most of the crowd and up the long stairs going out of the subway. Kyungsoo hated crowds, people too close to his personal space. The train’s the fastest way to and fro his part-time jobs so he made sure to be up earlier than the morning buzz and stayed later than the afternoon rush before he battles the subway. This time is an exception, and though he was a bit sorted out, Chanyeol made a great buffer.

 

“Are you okay? I didn’t know there’ll be this much people in the train. We should have taken the bus… or something.” Chanyeol muttered, arms still around Kyungsoo’s shoulder as they approached the huge gate of the university.

 

“I’m fine. Just a bit squished.” He directed a smile at Chanyeol and laughed when the other’s eyes widened comically.

 

“I didn’t hurt you…. Did I?” Chanyeol pulled away and inspected Kyungsoo all over. “You should have told me, I could have pushed all those people away.”

 

Kyungsoo just smiled. He couldn’t imagine Chanyeol pushing people away. This Chanyeol who wanted to take home all the stray puppies on the street? Not a single strand of rudeness in his body.

 

They toured the university, and Kyungsoo got a hold of his schedule when they visited the admissions office. He’s got one class with Chanyeol. Literature, which the other greatly failed due to unexcused absences. He’s a year younger than Chanyeol, and half a year delayed due to stopping for a semester to work. There were a bit of adjustments to fit his schedule with his part-time jobs without hindering his studies but other than that he’s fine if not a bit nervous.

 

The next time they passed by a huge digital clock scattered around the university, they realized it’s way past lunch and the knowledge of it brought a loud growl from Chanyeol’s stomach. “Guess it’s time for lunch?”

 

Kyungsoo laughed at Chanyeol in amusement. He was feeling a bit hungry, but most of all his legs felt like they’re on fire from all the walking. “Where again is the cafeteria?”

 

“We should go to the food concessionaires; there are a lot near the parking lot.” Chanyeol said pointing towards the other way. Kyungsoo managed to stifle a sigh as he dragged his feet around the bricks. “You tired?” He noticed Kyungsoo’s baby steps and patted his head. “You’ll get used to it. There really isn’t any form of transportation other than walking inside the campus. If you want, we can go to the park and I’ll get us something to eat while you rest. Sounds good?” Kyungsoo nodded and Chanyeol’s arms once again found their way around Kyungsoo’s shoulders.

 

“Stay here and don’t wander too far!” Chanyeol told him before sprinting towards the other side of the park.

 

Kyungsoo stared at Chanyeol’s retreating back before settling down the grass, ignoring the stone bench. The university looks perfect and the ambience feels homey that Kyungsoo almost wanted to spend most of his days at school rather than work or even go home to his empty apartment.

 

He still got turned around easily finding his way around the campus but at least Chanyeol made him memorize the way towards the building of most of his classes. The people looked harmless enough and Kyungsoo didn’t mind the increasing amount of crowd as the lunch time ticked by.

 

It was a few minutes before Chanyeol arrived hovering by his foot and Kyungsoo sat up, grass all over his hair and back. “I was beginning to think you forgot about me starving here.” He joked and Chanyeol plopped beside him.

 

“How would I even dare?” Chanyeol chuckled and passed a bowl of hainanese rice topped with Chinese dumplings to the other. “The stores are just crowded, is all. Its lunch time remember? The food alright? It’s not much but it’s my favorite.”

 

Kyungsoo took a bite from the dumplings and brightened up. “I like it. It’s good.” He nodded before digging in, less cautious this time.

 

“Cheaper than the others too.” Handing Kyungsoo a tall cup of strawberry juice, Chanyeol finished his bowl and took another from the plastic beside him.

 

Kyungsoo wasn’t even surprised that Chanyeol got two orders for himself. All-you-can-eat restaurants are going bankrupt with a customer like him. Shaking his head, Kyungsoo finished his meal while enjoying the muffled buzz of people around him, all the while watching Chanyeol stuff his face with rice.

 

“Do you like sweets? I think I need a dessert.” Chanyeol asked him stuffing the empty bowls back into the plastic bag before standing up. “I’m sure I can find some around. Be back in a few. Chocolate sound good with you?”

 

Laughing, Kyungsoo just nodded and leaned back, resting on his arms not wanting to lie down fully and risk falling asleep. Maybe when his classes start they can meet here during lunch and eat together. He’d just have to figure out how to ask Chanyeol that. Red bloomed on his cheeks and Kyungsoo bit his lip to stop himself from smiling like an idiot. He was startled and almost fell flat on his back when someone talked behind him.

 

“Hi.” The voice said and Kyungsoo turned around too fast he felt a dizzy spell coming up. A guy, not much far from his age was standing a few feet away. He was taller, definitely, with a nicely tanned skin and thick, full lips. “Kyungsoo hyung.”

 

“Uh, hey?” Kyungsoo looked up uncertainly. He didn’t think someone from this university knew him so his breath caught up when the stranger called his name. Staring for a minute, Kyungsoo’s eyes went wide as recognition dawned to his face. “Jongin!” He stood up and tackled the other man back to the ground.

 

Kyungsoo missed the confused look on someone a few feet behind him, a cone of chocolate ice cream slowly melting in his hands.

 

 


 

well i don't know what this chapter is, i was writing while on high. apparently our thesis is going to Thailand AND Malaysia n___n we're going Asia hahaha.

anyway, i don't know how universities in Korea are so I patterned the setting in my university ;) thank you for staying with me ♥