Chapter 4 : How could one not love his great still eyes

Tonight I Can Write the Saddest Line

How could one not love his great still eyes

 


 

 

Please take care of my Kyungsoo, Chanyeol replayed in his mind the gentle smile on Mrs. Do’s lips as she patted his hair, watching as Kyungsoo bid goodbye to his younger brother. His mother looked very pretty despite her age and he could see where Kyungsoo got his somewhat soft features from. His brother on the other hand, looked more masculine, a bit taller, and somewhat possessive of his older brother.


Chanyeol hid his smile as the little brother threw occasional glares at him whenever Kyungsoo mentioned some of the things they’ve done together the past week. He smiled as he listened to the younger scold Kyungsoo for not calling everyday as if he’s the older one, and he turned away as Kyungsoo ruffled his younger brother’s hair telling him how much he missed him too.


Kyungsoo has a wonderful family, and Chanyeol can feel how he is well loved. He traced the soft keys of Kyungsoo’s keyboard as it sat on their laps before he lifted his head up to stare at the sleeping boy beside him. Kyungsoo’s neck was hyperextended as he drowsed off the taxi, the seat having no headrest, and Chanyeol almost stopped breathing as he gently pulled Kyungsoo’s head to rest on his shoulder. When he heard the smaller boy’s light snore, he let out a huge sigh and muttered under his breath how Kyungsoo should thank him later for saving him from an upcoming stiff neck.


They were close to Kyungsoo’s apartment when Chanyeol halfheartedly woke the sleeping boy up. He was sleeping so soundly as if he hasn’t slept for days and Chanyeol really lost the heart to wake him, but he had to.


“You looked so tired. You slept all the way back.” Chanyeol told him almost conversationally as he helped Kyungsoo with the keyboard to his apartment.


“Hm? Not really. I had more than 10 hours of sleep last night.” The other answered as he fumbled with the keys in his hands.


“So maybe that’s why you were so tired.” Chanyeol took a hold of the keyboard to help Kyungsoo open the apartment door faster seeing as his friend couldn’t do it with just one hand.


“Yeah. Should have slept more.” Kyungsoo grumbled as he opened the door and Chanyeol chuckled finding Kyungsoo adorable. “Wanna stay for lunch? I’ll cook.” The smaller boy offered and grinned when Chanyeol’s face brightened, half of his face was taken up by a huge grin with just the mention of lunch.


“How can I refuse when you’re offering me free food from the best cook?” Chanyeol stood up from where he placed the keyboard to follow Kyungsoo towards the kitchen but Kyungsoo stopped halfway, turned and crossed his arms on his chest.


“You can’t follow me in the kitchen. Just, go watch the TV or something. Make yourself at home.” Chanyeol pouted (not that he does it consciously) and Kyungsoo just giggled at him, poking his cheeks and laughing more at Chanyeol’s sneer. “I’m sure I had enough of your whining last time you watched me cook, and I know you’re hungry now because I am too, so just stay here if you want me to finish this faster okay?”


“Yes mum.” Chanyeol teased, sulkily but still complied as he found comfort on Kyungsoo’s couch turning the TV on and flipping channels until he saw that somewhat familiar music video of some girls with thin hips and very long legs, singing that song Kris likes listening to.


This time there are these… boys with ridiculously looking hair crowding up the stage doing hip s and all the awkward things in the world Chanyeol doesn’t care of as he eyed the kitchen door hungrily wishing for Kyungsoo to appear suddenly and tell him that lunch is ready. He glanced once again to the crowded screen and mumbled how can idol bands have that much members.


By the third song, Chanyeol is fast asleep on Kyungsoo’s couch as Baekhyun knocked lightly on the door. No one responded so he let herself in finding the door unlocked and he stared at Chanyeol’s sleeping form with a slightly parted mouth and he snored lightly. He chuckled and made his way to the kitchen when the fragrance of Kyungsoo’s cooking hit him.


“Kyungsoo-yah.” He started softly as to not startle to other one busy with cooking something really really appealing. “A mail addressed to you came.” He continued and waved a huge white envelope when Kyungsoo looked at him with surprise at first and smiled when he realized who it was.


“Oh, thank you! Can you place it on the table beside the couch? I’ll be done cooking in a minute. You can stay and have lunch with us!” Kyungsoo chirped and almost bit his lip when Baekhyun made a shushing sound and placed his index finger atop his lips.


“Chanyeol is sleeping on the couch.” Baekhyun told him with a muffled giggle and he muffled his own with his hand as he turned off the stove.


“Maybe he’s tired? I had him carry the keyboard all the way here when he said he wanted to help. But I think it’s not that heavy.” Kyungsoo said as he washed his hands and took off his apron, and when he turned, he saw Baekhyun’s pouting face. “W-what?”


“I asked you if you needed help and you turned me down.” Baekhyun told him with a playful pout then giggled at his friend’s baffled expression.


“But you know I wouldn’t have let you carry it even if you went with me!” Kyungsoo explained a bit loudly, Baekhyun needed to shut him up again.


Baekhyun sat at the loveseat across the couch and waited as Kyungsoo went to his room to get a blanket for Chanyeol.


“I’m sorry for tiring you out, and thank you for your help.” Kyungsoo whispered as he lay the blanket on the sleeping one.


“He isn’t really the sporty type, i bet." Baekjyun told him as he sat beside him, handling the huge envelope. “While some of our friends talk about their awards in sports competition, he stays in his corner writing songs, rapping anfd mumbling words all to himself like a crazy person.” Baekhyun shook his head and Kyungsoo had to again cover his mouth to keep himself silent.


“I think so too. He gets tired easily just when walking up and down the subway.” Recalling their earlier breakfast and how Chanyeol wiped his forehead for the invisible sweat while he breathed heavily as they climbed up the stairs.


“When we first met, he was ready to collapse trying to get into the train in the last few seconds.” Baekhyun said with a soft smile and Kyungsoo looked at him with curiosity in his eyes.


“How did you two meet, anyway?” He asked, and Baekhyun’s smile went wider.


“On the subway. I was waiting for the next train because the first train was so full, and then there he goes running towards the train on the last minute. He could have made it but he bumped into me and he actually fell on the floor, I had to help him up. He was covered with sweat and he couldn’t even talk because he was still out of breath.” Baekhyun smiled as he recalled the very first time he had the courage to talk to Chanyeol.


“So you met on the subway?” Kyungsoo mused, remembering the fact and the reason why Chanyeol’s always in the subway.


“It wasn’t the first time I saw him. He has always been sitting on that bench even before that incident. But that was the first time I talked to him. I actually thought he was crazy or something because he was just sitting there.” Baekhyun giggled but Kyungsoo was too deep in his own thoughts to actually laugh.


“He’s waiting for someone special in that subway isn’t he?” He asked and Baekhyun just nodded. “What if it was you? The one he has been waiting for?” Kyungsoo whispered almost too quietly and it took more than a minute for Baekhyun to find the right words to answer his friend.


“We have been friends for more than a year, and I’d be lying if I’d say I don’t find him attractive. There were a lot of times as I see him on the subway that I wished I was the one he was looking for. But we became friends. And I think that's enough, and even better.” The soft smile and somewhat sad eyes told Kyungsoo what Baekhyun really feels. “I could have been the one he was waiting for. I could have been, if he wanted me to.”


Before Baekhyun met Chanyeol, he was already on that bench in the subway. When they met, they became friends, and he was still waiting for someone on that same spot everyday. Kyungsoo closed his eyes and willed the foreign feelings in his chest to go away. He looked at Baekhyun and the way he stared at Chanyeol’s seeping form, enjoying the silence as they both stared at the guy sleeping soundly on the couch.


Not long enough, Chanyeol stirred and gasped as he realized he had fallen asleep, shocked when he heard loud chuckles in front of him. He smiled sheepishly at Kyungsoo and Baekhyun before sitting and pulling the blanket, that's suddenly appeared out of no where, so it won’t fall down the floor.


Baekhyun just laughed some more before saying he needed to go because he was going to eat lunch with his mom. Now that Kyungsoo knew how Baekhyun felt, he couldn’t help but notice the somewhat shy but lingering look on his face as he said goodbye to Chanyeol.


“Should we eat?” Kyungsoo asked the boy stretching in front of him who grinned in response, dark wide eyes brightening almost too painfully for Kyungsoo to watch, so he looked away.


The way Baekhyun looked at Chanyeol, it spoke of love and unreturned emotions, of love and something else. Love and just something else. He wanted him to find him. He wanted to be the one he was looking for.


Kyungsoo closed his eyes and took a deep breath. Maybe along those meetings in the subway, there are times when Kyungsoo wished he won’t find Chanyeol there. Maybe, just maybe, there are times when he wished Chanyeol would stop looking. So he wouldn’t need to take the subway everyday.