sais

What Makes You Different (Libra)

 

Sehun didn’t notice the time. Maybe it was his excitement that made the minutes fly? Perhaps, it’s not always true that the more eager someone is, the slower the time.

 

The bell rang and it was already dark. While the others scurried away to leave – bumping into Sehun in the process, the latter hastened back to the observatory deck, hoping that Themis will still be there as she had promised.

 

Doubts were mounting in his every step. Sehun was thinking of the possibilities. What if Themis left? What if Themis didn’t keep her promise? What if he’s left alone again? The young man slowed down on his pace.

 

“My dear Oh Sehun, why do you find it so hard to believe?”

 

Themis’ voice rang clear on the boy’s memory. Faith. That’s what he needs. He just has to believe that the beautiful goddess will still be there, so once again, he quickened his steps. It was difficult convincing himself in the midst of all the uncertainties, but he fought the urge to doubt again.

 

“Themis will be there,” said Sehun to himself as he climbed the familiar plight of stairs to the observation deck.

 

And indeed, there she was, in all her blinding glory. Themis was still sitting at the mat, her body turned to the panting Sehun, with a soothing smile painted on her beautiful face. “You’re back,” she whispered with her sweet, kind voice.

 

Sehun dragged his tired legs and feet to the center where Themis was. He instantly dropped himself onto the mat and hugged the goddess at once. “I thought you’re gone,” Sehun whimpered.

 

The goddess of justice chuckled softly. “I promised you I’ll wait,” Themis said as she the back of the young man’s head. “Congratulations, Oh Sehun, you have practiced your faith.”

 

his soft hair, Themis smiled and then she looked above the night sky. Sehun’s gaze followed too. It was a beautiful scene – like a dark carpet was hanging above them, emblazoned with millions of diamonds glittering.

 

“I like the stars,” Sehun muttered mindlessly. “They relax me. I want to be perfect like them.”

 

Themis looked at his eyes and damped her warm palm on Sehun’s cheek. “No one is made perfect, but you could always try to be.”

 

“But how?” The young man asked, bewildered.

 

Once again, the goddess of justice smiled. “By loving your imperfections,” she said. “Recognize the balance in your life and be fair to yourself. Never forget what I’ve always been telling you. What makes you different makes you beautiful. If you fully accept that fact, you will be perfect.”

 

The young man smiled back in content. He understood it immediately. The perfection he had been trying to find for himself will never be found anywhere, because it lies deep within who he is. Perfection is accepting the fact that he lacks on certain areas of life, and still being happy with it.

 

“Will I ever see you again?” Sehun asked as he got up from Themis’ lap. His eyes never left the goddess’.  

 

The goddess of justice shifted her patient and beguiling stare from the stars to the glistening eyes of the boy in her lap. “Of course, my dear. Of course,” she guaranteed as she continued his hair.

 

A big smile suddenly appeared on Sehun’s face. Content and satisfaction were being hinted. “How?”

 

Themis lifted her head once again and pointed on a group of four stars in the east, forming what seemed to be a box with uneven sides. “Do you know the Libra?”

 

Sehun furrowed his eyebrow. “The zodiac?”

 

The goddess smiled. “The constellation, actually.”  

 

The boy nodded.. He had learned about the constellations when he was in his senior year in high school. It resembles an inverted house. He looked at the direction where Themis was looking and marveled on the beautiful formation. “It looked nothing like a weighing scale, though,” he commented.

 

Themis chuckled. “Just because you don’t see it is as it is means it’s no longer what it is,” she said. “Remember that, my child.”

 

Sehun nodded in appreciation. “Thank you,” he muttered.

 

“Anytime,” the goddess replied. And then there was the blinding light again. The next thing Sehun knew, he was alone in the observation deck. Although Themis was no longer around, the warmth never left. It felt like he was still in the goddess’ embrace – calming, soothing, assuring.

 

Sehun looked up at the stars and see Libra glowing brighter than usual. As the cold wind blew, he breathed out a smile. That very moment, he felt so light he thought he could fly.

 

He got up on his feet and stepped out of the mat and folded it neatly. Knowing that he will never come back to that place again, he placed it on his bag along with the pillow that comforted him through all these times. He walked to the door to the main building with a relaxed smile on his face, and left the place which will always be his sanctuary.

 

Finally, he has found the importance of balance in his life. He’s beginning to forgive himself. He’s starting to accept his imperfections.

 

He’s beginning to be perfect.