⌈05⌋ Counterparts

Code Name: Into The INFINITE Abyss
"I don't like this place," the youngest member between the seven men who make the office like their own home complaints. "We named it 'paradise' but it's more like a jail."
 
"Then just leave," the leader responds without any special interest, focusing on what he is reading on laptop. "No one will stop you anyway."
 
The other two guys in the same room don't respond. One is too busy reading a book while another one is reading with earphones covering his hearing.
 
This is just one of their routines. Besides the youngest and the oldest just never get along even when it comes to work. Nothing will do them any good and nobody will.
 
"Pfft, Gyu Hyung, you're such a jerk!" he stands up and leaves the main room, heading somewhere else to calm his nerves before the next activity.
 
Sunggyu finishes reading the report, resting his back against the chair and mumbles to no one, "You're very welcome, Lee Sungjong."
 
His eyes still fix on the report conclusion made by his second most annoying partner after Sungjong.
 
 
"Seven Princes of Hell is originally formed for this objection. Lucifer has planned everything including his capture by Seven Archangels.
 
- L -"
 
 
"How smart are you, Hae Saehyun?" Sunggyu clenches his fist, feeling furious just by imagining what kind of plan will eventually happen. "I will definitely catch you."
 
"Come to think about catching someone...," his other partner closes the book he has been reading and fixes his gaze on the leader. "They are on their way here, aren't they?"
 
Sunggyu closes the laptop and stands up, having his left hand inside of the pocket as he adjusts his necktie with right hand, "Yeah, they should arrive soon."
 
"I'm going to pass the meeting," his partner also stands up and walks to the door with leads him to his private work space. "You know what to do if there's any emergency. Good luck, Gyu Hyung."
 
"Don't you dare to tell me you're going to pass the meeting too, Woohyun," Sunggyu warns the one who is listening to his iPod. "That Lee Howon... Aish, doing whatever he wants to..."
 
Woohyun laughs, turning off the music player and smirks, "Of course I'm not going to skip it. I get to see the famous Hae Sara today. Why would I let this chance slip?"
 
Sunggyu rolls his eyes, speechless for Woohyun's womanizer behavior. He was going to lecture him again when Kim Myungsoo enters the room with his usual cold glare.
 
Instead of a warm greeting, he shoots the leader with sharp words, "Why did you stop me? I could take care of them! They are just a bunch of cocky police officers!"
 
Knowing that he is talking about how Sunggyu called him when Sara gave her words calmly, Sunggyu just sighs and diverts the topic, "Where are they? Is Sungjong with them?"
 
Myungsoo frowns and walks pass him without another word. Even when Woohyun greets him, he just ignores Woohyun and heads to the staircase.
 
"L!" Sunggyu calls his nickname, the name Myungsoo prefers instead of his real name and code name. "We're going to-"
 
"You know," Myungsoo stops and gives a sarcasm smile. "For a place called paradise, this place is actually more like hell."
 
Woohyun stands up and steps closer to his friend, patting his shoulder twice, "You know, you have this special talent of making people pissed off."
 
"Shut up," Sunggyu tosses his hand away and heads to the meeting room where Sungjong is waiting for them with their four guests, four members of the Seven Archangels.
 
After working behind the shadows for a while, Sunggyu finally meet them face-to-face. Since they showed up at the crime scene of Turquoise Jewel case, he knew that they would meet.
 
Sunggyu pushes the door with Woohyun following him behind. Every pair of eyes in the room land on them and there is a nervewrecking atmosphere surrounds them.
 
"Get Dongwoo and Sungyeol," he tells Sungjong, a sign for him to leave the room first. "Five of us are enough for now."
 
Woohyun only has his eyes on Sara, the only female in the room. The same goes for Sara as she realizes Woohyun is looking at her. She even gives him a seducing wink.
 
"Yoon Doojoon, the leader of Seven Archangels with Uriel as your codename," Sunggyu breaks the ice, standing still on his feet. "Yong Junhyung, the Gabriel. Yang Yoseob, the Michael. And, of course, Hae Sara... Sariel."
 
Seconds of silence get between them before Doojoon responds as calm as possible, "Who are you actually? Why do you interfere our tasks?"
 
"I prefer to be called as helping hands instead of interfering," Woohyun mutters. "We did help you with catching the thief, remember? And we helped you again by catching Leviathan this time, didn't we?"
 
"Do you mind helping without using the name of Seven Archangels?" Junhyung speaks out his thought. "Who used my code name, eh? What kind of good you have with our names really?"
 
It can't be avoided. Sunggyu knows it the best. It's not like he doesn't plan this meeting beforehand.
 
"I am Uriel and this is Gabriel. The one who accompanied you here before is Ramiel, our youngest member," Sunggyu introduces him team. "You should have met Michael, Raguel, and Raphael, I believe."
 
"This is our headquarter, Paradise," Sunggyu gives a quick glance upon the four guests. "I know you have a lot of questions for us and I guess it's the best for us to meet up with the same conclusion in the end of the day."
 
Out of his expectation, the first response he gets is from Yoseob. Moreover it's not a really nice one.
 
"You know," Yoseob scoffs. "For a place called paradise, this place is actually more like hell."
 
Heaving a sigh, Sunggyu shakes his head, "Both you and L actually resemble each other. Ah, Michael, the two most sharped-tongue guys."
 
Yoseob frowns and shoots back a short yet demanding question, "What?"
 
There's no answer for the question because the other three members join them in the room, making the count turns to five against four.
 
"Why don't we just get to the talk now?" Sara intertwines her fingers, resting her chin on them. "We don't really have that much time to waste, do we? I'm dying to talk with Leviathan about where his partners are."
 
"Well, aren't we talking right now?" Woohyun shrugs, not even care about the unfriendly glare from Yoseob and Junhyung. "Why don't we make it this way? One of you can ask a question and we will answer."
 
"This is not a question and answer session," Yoseob starts to lose his patience. "I don't care who you are but we're taking Leviathan. Now."
 
Before he can even get his weapon to threaten anyone, the one stands behind Sunggyu has pulled his gun first, releasing a fire in a blink. The bullet went between Yoseob and Sara, hitting the wall purposely.
 
Due to the sudden attack, both Doojoon and Junhyung also raise their weapons, targetting on the person who fired the gun.
 
"Dongwoo is our Raguel," Sunggyu exchanges glare with Yoseob. "He's the best in ballistics field. I suggest you not to play with guns when you don't have your Raguel here."
 
"That's scary," Woohyun lets out a small laughter, asking Dongwoo to lower the gun. "He is just protecting our beloved leader here. Don't worry. We do no harm unless you start it first."
 
The atmosphere changes even worse because of the gunshot.
 
"Let me start first then," Sara decides to go with the rule. "I'll ask the first question and I wish for the clear and true answer."
 
She doesn't wipe the confident smile off her face when a question leaves her lips, "Who do you work for?"
 
Instead of repeating the question of why they use name of Seven Archangels or how they know the Seven Archangels' real identities, Sara asks that question, simply because she stated the truth about not creating fourteen Archangels as two special teams.
 
"We don't work under KNPA, if that's what you're asking," Sunggyu answers. "KNPA knows nothing about our formation as Seven Archangels but you, Hae Sara, actually inspired us in the past."
 
"We are your counterparts," he continues, stating the truth. "We hold the position similar to you and perform the function that corresponds yours outside of KNPA."
 
Doojoon's eyes widen in realization; he understands what Sunggyu is talking about. He lowers the gun and murmurs, "You... You work for the NIS?"
 
NIS stands for National Intelligence Service. It is the chief intelligence agency of South Korea. The organization is divided into three directorates of International affairs, Domestic affairs, and North Korean affairs.
 
NIS holds the responsibilities of nation's stategy and security, all documents and facilities related to nation's classified information, investigation of crimes affecting national security, and investigation crimes related to missions of NIS staff.
 
Their motto is "anonymous dedication to freedom and truth".
 
If Seven Archangels is the secret team of KNPA, NIS is the secret police organization who has responsibilities directly under the President of South Korea.
 
"Yes," Sunggyu puts a proud smile. "We work for the President as NIS agents."
 
 
* * * * * * * *
 
 
AUTHOR'S NOTE:
 
Last updated 3 February 2013 and it's 28 April 2013 already.
So sorry for the late update but, here, a new chapter with a twist for you.
 
This one I made specially for Sunggyu's birthday today! ^^
 
 
Feel free to drop any comment below or mention me at Twitter @AFFkyuri91.
 
Thank you for reading. :)