First Attempt

A Lingering Dream

“Zhou Mi, I really appreciate the concern that you give my daughter. Your idea is not bad. I really think it will be better for her,” Victoria’s mother told him while holding his hand. There was a sad look in her eyes as she glanced upstairs to the room of her only daughter. Several days have already passed and Victoria still refused to get out of her room except when she visits Kyuhyun’s grave. As a mother, she has grown worried of her daughter’s condition. She did not want to eat. She did not want to go out with her friends. She just confined herself in her own room, reminiscing of the past and mourning for what could have been.  

 

“We have been friends since we were young so it’s just natural.” Zhou Mi said. “I just hope that she would agree.”

 

“You know she can’t say no to you. She is just upstairs, go and talk to her,” Victoria’s mom stood up and led Zhou Mi outside Victoria’s bedroom door. “She is there inside, I hope you can convince her. I know you will.” Zhoumi just smiled at her remark.

 

He turned the knob discreetly as to not surprise Victoria. He pushed the door gently and saw Victoria scanning through some Polaroid pictures. It had been her hobby since they were little and he could recall very well the time when he gave Victoria her first Polaroid camera. He could help but smile as he remembered her always bringing the camera wherever she went until… it took the backseat when Kyuhyun gave her a new one, the one that she was holding right now at her room.

 

Flashback

 

“Kyuhyun gave me a new camera. I was actually wondering whether I’m going to use it –I mean, yours is still working very well despite scratches here and there.”

 

“Why would you not use it? Why would you not use your fiance’s present?” Zhou Mi replied nonchalantly.

 

“But-“

 

“Victoria, it’s okay.”

 

End of Flashback

 

No, it was not okay.

 

If he had refused, will she still be holding his camera and will she be looking at his pictures instead of Kyuhyun’s?

If he had fought for their love, perhaps their relationship would not be put into the backseat like what happened to the old camera. Perhaps, it would not stay hidden inside the shelf. Perhaps, they could show it to everyone.

 

If he had not given her away, perhaps… perhaps there would still be them.

 

What a metaphor it is to compare their love to camera presents, Zhou Mi thought.

 

It hurts him seeing the person he loves shed tears but it hurts him more that she was shedding tears for someone else and it was all because he had let go of her, the only girl that he ever loved. Noticing the pain in her eyes as she looked into the memories of her and Kyuhyun together, he could see how much he means to her and how much she was able to love him and it scarred him deeper.

 

How can he ask her to start over again when she cannot let go of the past?

 

He guessed it would just be futile to talk to her now. She would not listen to him. He heaved a sigh as he gently closed the door.

----------------

 

“Have you talked to her?” Victoria’s mom asked as Zhou Mi descended down the staircase. He shook his head and the look of hope in the face of Victoria’s mom quickly faded.

 

“Perhaps next time, Auntie. Perhaps, when she is already ready.” Zhou Mi told the older woman. And also perhaps when he is also ready… Ready to face all that she has to say to him. He told himself inwardly as he walked towards the door and left.

-----------------

 

The bus passed by a cemetery and something hit Kyuhyun suddenly. “Why did I not think of it before?” he muttered under his breath. He patted Seohyun’s shoulder. “The cemetery, she could be in the cemetery.” He said as he grabbed Seohyun’s hand and got off the bus.

 

“Come on,” he urged her to run with him by tugging her hand but he noticed her grip loosening and he was pulled down by the weight of gravity as he looked behind him and saw Seohyun collapsing to the ground. He cradled her in his lap and cupped her face.

 

“Seohyun-ah, are you okay? What happened? Wake up.” He asked while shaking her gently but she remained lying limply in his arms. A bracelet designed with an engraved flower on the metal plate fell from Seohyun’s wrist. Kyuhyun picked it up and placed it in his pocket.

 

When there was still no response from her, he brought her home. He carried him in bridal style and gently placed her down the futon. He grabbed a blanket and tucked her in and fixed the strands of hair away from her face.

 

Perhaps he’s already beginning to get used to his pseudoexistence in the living world where he no longer belonged, he did not seek for medical help for Seohyun. Instead, he called the attention of the timekeeper.

 

“Yesung-shi, I know you can hear me wherever you are. I know you can see every action of mine. I just heard your voice a little while ago. I need you now. I have to ask you something.” Kyuhyun called out. He acted like a crazy person talking to someone who is not there. He did not care though, all these things that were happening to him were all lot crazy. He was about to give up when he heard a pop inside the room and a familiar black-clad guy suddenly appeared sitting in an Indian-style in a corner.

 

“What made you think that call will actually work?” Yesung asked.

 

“Just thought it would.” Kyuhyun simply said. “Anyway, I go straight to the point. Tell me about Seohyun’s status.” He nodded towards Seohyun who was still unconscious. “With all these things happening around me, I now believe that there are things which science and logic cannot explain. Is being a Host has an effect on her?”

 

“You are sapping her life energy away from her so it is just natural if there will be instances she will feel weak. Judging from her previous state prior to her becoming a Host, her already frail body might probably have difficulty adjusting to it.”

 

“Why did you not tell me about it? She should not have been-“

 

“Here you go again.” Yesung cut him off. He rolled his eyes and started to become exasperated at Kyuhyun’s gentleman disease. “I am only tasked to explain to you the basic rules and not go into the lengthy discussion about its repercussions,” he snapped. “It’s up for you to discover. For your information, this is part of the sacrifices that Seohyun has to undergo when she willingly offered herself to be your Host. Don’t worry, she just needs an ample rest to recover and she will be able to adapt soon.” Yesung told him.

 

“Are there any other inquiries? If there is none, I will now leave because I still have matters to attend to.” With another pop, the timekeeper vanished into thin air.

 

A grunt echoed from the other side of the room where Seohyun was lying unconscious a while ago. “Kyuhyun… just go…” she struggled to say those words. “She might be there…” she said in half a whisper. “I’ll be fine here, I just need to rest.”

 

Kyuhyun looked at her worriedly. “Are you sure about that? If I leave now, I will be using more of your life energy.”

 

“I can manage.” She reassured him. “Go for her.”

 

“Okay, but promise me you’ll be okay.” He said as he held her hand for a moment. Seohyun nodded and that served as a cue for Kyuhyun to leave. Once he left, Seohyun brought her hand to her chest and relished the brief memory of the softness and warmth of Kyuhyun’s hand. She deeply appreciated his concern for her. When was the last time someone took care of her? When was the last time someone has been concerned with her? She could not remember anymore.

 

After her sisters’ death and her breakup with Jinwoon, she went back to her life of reclusion, confining herself within the four corners of her room and only having the flowers and plants as her company. She had been like that for a year. In the morning she busied herself with her landscaping job, keeping her social interaction at minimum. Then, in the night, she goes straight to sleep, escaping all her woes. And when loneliness overwhelms her, that’s the time she would begin thinking of taking away her life.

 

For the first time in 12 months, someone had intruded into her solitary world and once again, a bit of warmth touched her heart that had grown cold through time. She began to wonder, what could have happened if she met someone like him instead. Maybe, she would not be like this. Perhaps, she’ll be happier. All those empty wishes again…

 

Once upon a time, there was a lady who needed saving from the depths of her loneliness. Although she made her resolve to guard her heart, deep inside, she still yearns for that savior who will burn the walls that she built around her.

 

-------------------

 

Victoria, dressed in long thin coat on top of a pair of gray long blouse and black leggings, came running down the stairs. Victoria’s mother came out of the kitchen holding a tray of food supposedly for her daughter.

 

“Victoria, where are you going?”  Her mother asked.

 

“Out.” Victoria replied simply.

 

“Out where?”

 

“To Kyuhyun.”

 

“But you haven’t even eaten yet.”

 

“I’m not hungry.” She said as she rushed outside.

------------------

 

It was a cloudy and breezy afternoon. The wind was rustling through the trees, the only sound that disturbed the serenity of the surroundings. Victoria treaded on the lush green grass toward Kyuhyun’s grave. When she reached the place, she placed gently a bouquet of white roses, the one that she bought from their favorite flower shop, in front of the marble headstone where Kyuhyun’s name was written.

 

She dropped to her knees and stared longingly at his tomb. Tears started to flow and she quickly wiped them away. She tried to smile as she began conversing to him as if he was there.

 

“Kyu, how are you there? Do you miss me? I miss you too. Here, I brought you flowers. You used to give me flowers. You never failed to bring flowers during special occasions, not once. I miss such moments, Kyuhyun. I miss those memories. I missed you… I terribly do. I wish you can comfort me now.”

 

Victoria couldn’t hold it in anymore and she started sobbing hard.

----------------------

 

Meanwhile, Kyuhyun was caught in a heavy traffic on the way to the cemetery. He clicked his tongue and tapped his foot restlessly on the floor. With every ticking second from his watch, he became more and more impatient. He did not know why he got this sense of urgency in him. The honking sounds of the cars got louder and the taxi got stalled longer. Kyuhyun could no longer wait. He slipped out several bills from his wallet and paid the driver. “Keep the change,” he told him and he quickly got off. He had no time to spare on taking a look at his bill or counting his money.

 

Kyuhyun sped off and ran as fast as he can. When he reached the gate, he lost his breath and a sudden chest pain kicked in. He clutched his chest as he gasped for air. He leaned over the iron fence. His fingers were slowly slipping from the fence until her grip loosened and he dropped to the ground on fours. 

 

“Victoria… Wait… just wait for me…” He muttered as he struggled to get up. Even though he did not know where his tomb was, his instinct seemed to lead him to it. He stumbled and fell several times but he never stopped trying. As he was nearing the top, he saw a familiar figure.

 

“Victoria!” Kyuhyun yelled. He tried to quicken his pace but he was hampered by a burning pain in his chest and he found himself short of breath. He took one step but his legs gave way and he slipped downhill acquiring several scrapes on his arms and legs. Each time he tried to stand up, he just stumbled again and again… and again.

 

---------------------

 

A strong wind blew and Victoria seemed to hear her name being uttered in the wind. She turned around but saw no one. She did not know that the person she misses so much was curled up behind the bushes hidden from view. Her eyes searched around the place. When she did not see any presence of anyone, she decided to walk away and leave.

 

He crawled up and he was able to peer behind the bushes. He saw her back view slowly walking away. He tried to call but he was not able to because he was catching his breath. He cried silently in anguish. He attempted to get up and chase her but he slipped downhill again. By this time, he was already too weak to get on his feet.

 

“There’s no use trying, Kyuhyun.” A sudden pop and Kyuhyun knew the timekeeper had arrived. Yesung hoisted him from the ground and he assisted him to stand up by holding his arm.

 

“Let me go, Timekeeper! I have to talk to Victoria!” Kyuhyun broke away from his grip but that sent him on the ground again.

 

“By this time, your life energy is waning because Seohyun is already regaining her strength. That is how her body initial attempt to adapt to these changes. Your energy has been depleted already. Tell me, how can you run after her?! ” Yesung told him.

 

“I don’t need your explanation. I believe that the will surpasses the physical strength.” Kyuhyun looked at Yesung directly in the eyes. “I can do this!” Kyuhyun stood up but after few seconds, his legs wobbled and gave way once again.

 

 “See! You can’t even get back on your feet!” Yesung scolded him. “If will should be good enough, then you shouldn’t be dead right now! You shouldn’t be buried right there! You should not be here borrowing someone else’s time.”

 

Kyuhyun clenched his fists, grasping a fistful of grass on the ground.

 

“You still have 29 days. You should rest now. Don’t be disappointed if you lost this opportunity. Instead, consider yourself lucky because you are granted the chance to go back, unlike them,” Yesung pointed to the other graves. “Even though, they want to, they cannot go back anymore.

 

Kyuhyun looked around him. He realized Yesung was right. He still had plenty of opportunities. Unlike them… He glanced down and noticed something familiar. He read the names written on a headstone.

 

Seo Eunseo

 

Seo Yoona

 

And around the names there was a design of an engraved flower he swore he had just seen recently.  

 

“Seo Eunseo… Seo Yoona… Seo Joohyun.”

 

He then remembered Seohyun’s broken bracelet. He fished the bracelet out of his pocket. He now knew where he saw that design. This was exactly the same as that on the headstone.

 

Are these people related to Seohyun?