5 - I Fart

The Switch

 

Chapter 5 – I Fart

 

I sit up straight, all ready to explain that this isn’t what it looks like but she stops me with her arm. It somehow doesn’t quite help that her arm lands right across my s because Yoona and Seohyun’s eyes only get bigger and bigger.

 

“Yuri unnie! Is she your girlfriend?”

 

“Mmphh!” Her hand covers my mouth, preventing me from saying that she’s not my girlfriend and that this is a huge misunderstanding. She gives me a glaring look before smiling sweetly at my friends.

 

“She’s not my girlfriend. We were practicing CPR and I was teaching her how to do it.”

 

She explains it calmly and removes her hand from my mouth slowly once I stop fidgeting. I slowly come to the realization that I had almost reacted to my friends as though I were still Yuri. Well, of course I still am, but I sure don’t look like myself right now and I look at her gratefully, silently thanking her for saving me from blowing our cover.

 

Yoona, however, doesn’t seem to buy Jessica’s half-truth. It’s true that we were practicing CPR but Jessica definitely wasn’t the one doing the teaching. Yoona laughs instead, opening wide open like an alligator getting ready to swallow its prey.

 

“Yuri unnie, that’s the lamest explanation I’ve ever heard, seriously! You must have been so eager to make out with her that you even forgot to lock your door.”

 

Yoona laughs so hard that she ends up sitting on the floor whilst Seohyun looks on at her in amusement. Jessica is looking at her as though she’s an alien of some sort while I have to suppress the urge to laugh and roll around the floor with her like I always do. So, I decide to help Jessica out.

 

“We really aren’t together in that way. Yuri saved me from drowning a few days ago and I thought that it’d be good to learn how to do CPR since she saved me with that.”

 

Yoona looks at Jessica, feeling puzzled. “I don’t remember us saving anyone that looks like your friend here. Did we save her?”

 

“You weren’t there that day. I was alone when I saved her,” Jessica manages to explain it somehow.

 

Yoona blinks and snaps her fingers suddenly. “Ah! I remember now. That must have been the day I had to pick Seohyun up from the airport! You didn’t tell me that you saved someone when I went back to join you though.”

 

“We save people every other day.” Jessica shrugged, looking as though she was used to saving people every other day. “It isn’t a big deal.”

 

“That’s true…” Yoona seems to be happy with the explanation because she turns to me with her megawatt smile. “What’s your name then? I’m Yoona. Im Yoona. And this is Seohyun.” She gestures towards Seohyun as she speaks. “Seo Juhyun, but we call her Seohyun.”

 

“I’m Jessica.” I smile at her as widely as I can, hoping that she will warm up to me so that I won’t have to act like a total stranger with her.

 

“Jessica! Is it alright if I call you unnie? I’m 22. You’re older than me right?”

 

“Yes I’m older. I’m 23.”

 

“Oh! Then you’re the same age as Yuri unnie!” Yoona grins widely.

 

I almost palm my own face. I’m slipping up so badly here! What if Jessica isn’t 23?! Oh no…I sneak a peek at Jessica and she’s glaring daggers at me.

 

Uh oh…

 

I feel very uneasy as I put a smile on my face. I have a feeling that Jessica is going to give it to me real good once Yoona and Seohyun leave. Maybe I should try to keep them around so that Jessica can’t do anything to me.

 

HEHEHE. What a good idea that is.

 

“So, Yoona…what are you planning to do with Yuri today?” I pretend to ask innocently.

 

“We are going to have a girls’ night. Would you like to join us?”

 

Jessica grips my hand suddenly, a panicky look plastered upon her face. “Sorry girls, I think I’m going to have to give tonight a miss. I promised to teach Jessica some first aid lessons. Let’s do this another time, shall we?”

 

You know how there are times when you seem to have the knack of bringing more trouble upon yourself? Well, this is that moment.

 

I could have let Jessica get rid of Yoona and Seohyun, thereby giving ourselves more time to breathe. But no…instead, I decide to land me and Jessica in hot soup.

 

“It’s okay, Yuri ah, you don’t want to blow your friends off like that, do you? You can go on with your girls’ night. I’ll get going now.”

 

Jessica looks like she’s about to combust as I get up to leave, but just as I’m about to laugh at her predicament, Yoona drops the bomb on me.

 

“Jessica unnie, why don’t you join us? It’s going to be a lot of fun, I promise.”

 

To which Jessica immediately nods vigorously and grabs my hand tightly.

 

“Yes, Jessica will stay and you can ask her all sorts of questions. She’ll be glad to answer them.”

 

I can’t miss that evil glint in Jessica’s eyes that say two can play at that game. And that’s how we end up scaring the living daylights out of Yoona and Seohyun, the poor, innocent girls who have done nothing to deserve it.

 

.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

 

We sit down on my humongous bed, which technically now belongs to Jessica since she looks like me. My bed is huge because I love to stay up with my best friend, Yoona, and chat with her till I have to sleep. All we need is dim lights and some music and we can go on and on. You know how it is with girls. We’d talk about everything under the sun, from our ideal dates to our dream weddings and such.

 

Seohyun came into Yoona’s life when she applied to be a lifeguard. Yoona, being the closest to her in terms of age among the rest of us, took it upon herself to be a good friend to Seohyun. Seohyun is an interesting character. She is rather rigid, to say the least. She is righteous, upright and never hesitates to point out what she feels isn’t right.

 

Thanks to her, our lifeguard unit has been thrown into turmoil multiple times over some of the things she points out from time to time.

 

I have a sudden urge to take a quick shower so I excuse myself and get a towel for myself from a drawer before heading into the bathroom. As I open the door to the bathroom, I hear Yoona whispering to Jessica.

 

“Yuri unnie, Jessica unnie seems to know her way around your room quite well, doesn’t she?”

 

Yoona winks cheekily at Jessica who looks like she’s all ready to stab me to death.

 

Yikes! I better scram.

 

I dodge her seething glare and shut the bathroom door in a hurry.

 

Phew. “Yuri ah, calm down, calm down. Take a quick shower and go back out relaxed. You can do it, Yuri ah. Yes, you can!”

 

I step under the shower and drench myself briefly before stepping out again. I wrap myself in the towel and reach for the clothes that I want to change into but my hand feels nothing but the coolness of the ceramic ledge.

 

Oh no. Where are my clothes?!

 

I squeeze my eyes shut and moan. In my hurry to dodge Jessica’s scary glares, I had forgotten to bring in a change of clothes! She’s going to kill me now, I’m completely sure of that. Well, we can only die once, right?

 

I sigh as I tighten the towel around me. Jessica is not going to be pleased but I have no desire to put on clothes that I had thrown into the laundry basket. I hear an audible gasp as I step out into the bedroom wrapped in my towel. Jessica is first to leap up from the bed and bound to me.

 

“What are you doing?! I told you not to show my body off like that!” she hisses venomously in my ear.

 

“Jessica unnie, you have such a nice figure! No wonder Yuri unnie is willing to teach you CPR.” Yoona’s laughter resonates in the enclosed room that we are in. I would normally join in her laughter but this moment is anything but suitable for that. I hear Seohyun’s embarrassed laughter as Jessica pushes me back into the bathroom angrily. Once we are in the privacy of the bathroom, she puts her fists on her hips and glares at me.

 

“What do you think you’re doing?!”

 

“I forgot to bring in a change of clothes.”

 

“I’m not referring to that. I’m talking about you—you and your stupidity. Why in the world did you let them stay?!”

 

“I don’t want to miss out on a night chat with Yoona.”

 

“Are you kidding me? You’re not even you! It’s me who has to do the chatting and how am I supposed to do that when I don’t know anything about you or her?!”

 

“I’m sorry.” And I truly feel sorry right now—for myself. If I didn’t ask Yoona and Seohyun to stay, I wouldn’t be stuck in the bathroom with a very scary Jessica right now.

 

“You—” Jessica opens , presumably to scold me but she stops and sighs instead. “Argh.”

 

But before I can take a breather, she snaps at me again. “And why do you need to take so many showers?! Didn’t you just take a shower a while ago?”

 

I shrug. “Water calms me down when I’m stressed or feeling down.”

 

She looks into my eyes for a while and calms down somewhat. “Alright, let’s just do this. God help us if your friends think that we’re insane or something.”

 

I pout and nod. She grabs my hand and leads me out of the bathroom.

 

“Girls, I have something to confess to you.”

 

My eyes widen in surprise. What is she talking about?!

 

“Jessica is my girlfriend. She just agreed to be my girlfriend last night after dinner.”

 

Yoona gets real excited and begins jumping on the bed. “See? I told you! They’re together!”

 

Seohyun looks utterly stunned but her good manners make her stand up to congratulate us. “Yuri unnie, you have such a pretty girlfriend! Why didn’t you admit it earlier?”

 

Jessica smiles at Seohyun and says, “She’s very shy, that’s why.”

 

Yoona jumps off the bed and engulfs me in a big friendly hug. “Jessica unnie, how did the two of you end up together so quickly? I want to know all about it!”

 

Jessica pulls Yoona away from me and I catch an evil glint in her eye. Oh no. What is she going to do now?!

 

“I liked her the moment I saw her. After saving her, I couldn’t resist giving her my number and practically begged her to go out to dinner with me. She rejected me at first but after a few tries...she finally agreed to go out to dinner with me.”

 

Yoona looks surprised to hear that. “Jessica unnie, you actually rejected Yuri unnie the first time? She had to beg you for a date?” Yoona gaped a little at me. “Wow…that’s a first! It’s usually the other way around. HAHAHA! Yuri unnie, you’ve finally met your match!”

 

I don’t know what to say. I think I know what Jessica is trying to do here but I’m too stunned to react.

 

“What was the dinner like, Yuri unnie?” Yoona asks excitedly. “Tell us, tell us!”

 

“Well, I brought her for some seafood. I was totally smitten by her and her beauty and by the end of the dinner, I asked her to date me and I think she agreed to be my girlfriend because I shelled all the prawns and cracked all the crab shells for her,” Jessica snickers as she looks at me.

 

My mouth opens and closes mutely as Jessica piles on the lies about us. OH MY GAWD. She’s making me look and sound like a desperate puppy! JESSICA!!!

 

Well, technically, I did shell the prawns and crabs for her but it wasn’t because I was desperate for her to be my girlfriend!!! I can only look at her in disbelief as she bats her eyelids at me, putting on a lovesick expression.

 

“I tried to kiss her but she wouldn’t let me so I offered to teach her CPR so that I can get a chance to kiss her again.”

 

“AGAIN?!” I exclaim. I cannot believe how ridiculous she is making me out to be right now.

 

“I did CPR on you when I saved you, didn’t I? I found your lips to be real soft and y…totally irresistible to me.” Jessica grins widely at me which Yoona and Seohyun sees as a loving grin but I know better than that. Jessica is the most evil girl in the world!!! How could she do this to me?!

 

I groan inwardly, into the depths of my disintegrating reputation as a somewhat well-liked, popular girl who doesn’t have to do much to be asked out on dates.

 

“Aww…Yuri unnie, you sound so whipped by Jessica unnie.” Yoona chuckles cheekily while Seohyun still looks rather stunned by the whole story.

 

“Actually, I didn’t want Yuri to kiss me because I tend to fart when I get too excited.”

 

I smirk at Jessica who has had her smug expression replaced by a horrified one.

 

Heh. Two can play at that game.

 

.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>