9 - Touching Abs

The Switch

 

Chapter 9 – Touching Abs

I’m not sure if they are gaping at me because of what I said or not. Everything was going along fine until now. Right now, they are silent—an oddity for a radio show—and everybody’s eyes are on me. I dare not breathe. I try my hardest to peek at Sica without moving my head. Uh oh. She looks like she’s about to faint or something. Did I say something wrong?

Suddenly, Taeng DJ bursts into laughter. Her laughter is very unique. It is deep. Straight from the depths of her gut. And it comes out all low and sort of manly in a way. I’ve heard it before when I tuned in to this show a few times in the past. But to hear it in person is something else. Just wow.

“And there we go again,” says DJ Sunny with eyes dancing with mirth. “Well done, Jessica. Your sense of humour is unparalleled. Would you like to tell us how you got to be so good at English?”

I grin at once. This I know. Sica had told me about where they came from during our little dinner date! Yes! Sica will be so proud of me.

I point at Tiffany and myself and declare confidently, “Made in U.S.A.!”

There is another fractional moment of stunned silence before Taeng DJ, who only just managed to stop laughing, bursts into another bout of laughter. This time, DJ Sunny, Sooyoung and Tiffany join in.

“Oh, Sica, you crack us up! You must come on this show more often!” says DJ Sunny, in between her laughs.

My grin widens with glee and I turn to Sica to bask in the glory but her look chills me to the core. I have a feeling that my life is in danger. Uh oh. But why? Everyone is laughing and DJ Sunny just praised me! Sica is just weird. Hmph.

“Yes, Jessica and I are ‘made’ in U.S.A.,” says Tiffany while making the universal quotation marks gesture with her fingers. “We were even born in the same hospital! What a coincidence, right?”

“Wow! Really? That’s so interesting!” Taeyeon chirps, her eyes gleaming bright.

Well, I may not be the most perceptive person in the world but even I can sense something going on with this DJ. She is emitting vibes that can’t be ignored. That kind of vibes. I know those vibes. Sica and I had those vibes too after I saved her. And during that dinner date. Too bad we’re in this situation now. But I’m rather interested in seeing where Taeng DJ’s vibes will end up. In the trash or…

Tiffany laughs politely. “Yes, when we found out, we were astounded too. And we have a very special connection, don’t we, Jessi?”

I blink. Woah. What is this? Rejection on air? And I’m in the cross-fire. I’m not even Sica, for goodness sakes. All I can do is smile awkwardly and nod.

“Sica and I are inseparable,” Tiffany continues and I can see the light in Taeng DJ’s eyes dim. “We have many things in common and get along very well. I’m very glad that we co-write the fashion column for Girls too. We work very well together.

I’m beginning to feel sorry for Taeng DJ. There is a noticeable slump in her shoulders and the smile she flashes lacks vibrance. DJ Sunny seems to notice it too and she picks up the slack immediately.

“Well! We sure are fortunate to have the both of you on air with us then! But before we talk about the wears and tears of beachwear, let’s hear from Sooyoung, our esteemed food critic. Sooyoung…”

There is only silence. I turn to my right and look at Sooyoung. She is pale and her eyes are big and round. I don’t know her that well but even I can tell that she doesn’t look too good right now. opens and closes but only faint mumbles can be heard.

“Sooyoung…? Would you like to tell us a little about yourself? How did you become a food critic?” DJ Sunny smiles encouragingly at Sooyoung but that only makes the latter freeze up even more.

“Maybe Jessica can introduce Sooyoung,” Tiffany suggests, trying to diffuse the situation. “They’re longtime friends and Jessi knows a lot about Sooyoung.”

I swallow hard and try to recall as much as I can from my dinner date with Sica. I remember some details but not all. Oh no. It doesn’t help that I can feel the Sica’s glare. No, no. I’m not even going to look at her. No way. I take a deep breath and speak. Here goes nothing.

“Sooyoung is my best friend,” I begin to say, thanking the heavens that I don’t have to say this in English. “She’s always had a passion for food and a gift for writing so I guess the two combined makes for an excellent food critic.”

“Thank you, Jessica for the lovely introduction of Sooyoung! Our dear Sooyoung is a little shy at the moment, please excuse her. It’s her first time on radio and she’s probably a little overwhelmed. I wish you could see her right now. She looks so adorable!” says DJ Sunny.

Sooyoung squeaks and blushes a deep crimson red. I’m sure that Sooyoung is on the verge of a cardiac arrest or something but luckily for her, DJ Sunny does not mention her anymore for the rest of the show.

We talk briefly about colours for this summer which thankfully, is answered by Tiffany because I have no idea. Apparently, it is black and white for graphic design swimwear. Which spawns another question. What is graphic design? I’ll need to ask Sica about that later. Or…maybe not. She doesn’t look too pleased with me. Perhaps, I should try to make my escape after this show. Yeah. I should.

Our segment finally comes to an end and the two DJs bid us goodbye during the music break.

“Thanks for coming, Sooyoung. Try to relax a little during the next show, okay?” DJ Sunny smiles warmly at Sooyoung who is nodding and blinking rapidly.

“I-I’m sorry,” she manages to say and DJ Sunny laughs and shakes her head.

“It’s alright. Don’t worry about it. You’ll get used to it the next time.” Then, Sooyoung squeaks again when DJ Sunny gives her a big, warm hug. “You’ll do better next time, Sooyoung!”

“I-I will,” Sooyoung answers with a decidedly determined look on her face.

Meanwhile, Sica is gripping my arm harder and harder in a near fatal attempt to stifle her giggles. It is near fatal for my arm as well. She is gripping so hard that blood can hardly pass through.

The objects of her amusement are Tiffany and Taeng DJ. Taeng DJ is smiling widely as Tiffany thanks her for a wonderful show.

“It’s our pleasure having you on the show, Tiffany.” Taeng DJ’s smile is unnaturally bright.

Tiffany’s smile is not as bright as she waves goodbye, however. I look at Jessica quizzically. She seems to know something so I nudge her.

“What is it? Why are you giggling like that?” I ask discreetly.

She looks at me like I’m asking the silliest question on earth. “Isn’t it obvious?”

“That Taeng DJ is kinda attracted to Tiffany? I noticed that but what’s so funny about that?”

Sica grins and gestures for me to get closer to her. I step closer and she leans down to my ear and whispers, “Tiff prefers girls who are taller than her.”

Oh. “Why?” I ask curiously.

Sica shrugs and releases my arm from her iron grip.

Poor Taeng DJ. I feel for her. And my arm.

.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Everyone had something to do after leaving the radio station. Tiffany had work left in the office and Sooyoung had to meet the owner of a restaurant so Sica and I are left standing by her car after saying goodbye to them.

I’m a little wary of Sica. I can’t tell if she’s pissed with me or not with her looking at me expressionlessly. So I keep my mouth shut and stare right back at her as she evaluates me with her eyes. I’m all ready to make a dash for it, should she try to attack me, so I’m more than surprised when all she does is sigh.

“What’s wrong?” I can’t help asking.

“Forget it. I’m too drained to be angry with you. Besides, it’s not really your fault. It’s that fairy’s that I wanna kick.”

“I thought the spell worked pretty well,” I remark, rising to defend Hyoyeon. I don’t want Hyoyeon to be attacked by Sica when she reappears. That might frighten her off and we’ll be left with no help whatsoever. And that’s not good at all.

Sica looks appalled. “Yuri, you’re lucky to get away with that English today. You should be thanking your lucky stars that Taeng DJ laughed so hard at your English. They all thought you were trying to be entertaining but I know better. And I’m freakin’ worried about shows in future. I don’t know how long this cover can hold up.”

“Aww, don’t worry. We’ll get Hyoyeon to cast the spell again and make it stronger.”

“Don’t even mention Hyoyeon,” Sica snaps at the mention of the fairy’s name and I press my lips tight. Okay, not saying her name again. No, no.

“Are you hungry?” I ask, hoping to divert her focus somehow and it works. Sica scrunches up her face and nods.

“What do you want to eat?”

.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

A bowl of delicious cold noodles later, Sica looks more amicable and I finally feel safe enough to ask her if she’s up for a lesson with me in the pool.

“Or we could ask Hyoyeon…” I trail off nervously as Sica’s eyes darken and cloud over.

“No,” she says resolutely, leaving no room for discussion. “I’m not going to depend on her spell to help me. What if she messes up again? Your job concerns life and death. I can’t risk it. Teach me. I will learn.”

I’m impressed by her fiery spirit and determination to do a good job. Wow. She may look like a breeze and walk with a breeze but she certainly has a strong gust of tenacity in some ways. Sica is more than meets the eye!

“Okay. I’ll teach you.”

“Good. Let’s go.”

.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

We have an indoor swimming pool for swimming lessons as well as lifeguard training. There is also a gym and that’s where most of us lifeguards train to keep up our fitness. There’s no telling who we might meet but it is rather late when we enter the building so there’s the likelihood that we might not meet anyone at all—which is what I’m hoping for.

Please. Don’t let us bump into Yoona or Seohyun. Please! Especially not Yoona!

I chant those words over and over again in my heart as we enter the training complex. But to my dismay, we walk straight into Yoona who is walking out of the locker room.

“Yuri unnie!” she calls me or rather, Sica and hops about excitedly at once. “Yuri unnie! Why is Jessica unnie here with you? Are you showing her around?”

Sica looks a little dazed by her hyperactivity but manages to smile and nod. And to my horror, she grins wickedly as she whispers something in Yoona’s ear. Yoona’s eyes widen and twinkle as she listens and when Sica is done, they giggle conspiratorially. I’m beside myself with curiosity but I know that neither of them will tell me anything. Yoona is wearing the cheekiest grin ever and Sica, well, she’s making me look like a ert, the way she’s looking at me. Oh gawd. What is Sica up to now!

“Okay! I’ll not hang around and glow in the dark! Bye, Yuri unnie! Have fun Jessica unnie!” Yoona chirps as she bounces away, giggling to herself.

I groan inwardly and turn to face Sica. “What now…”

Sica giggles and pats my arm. “I’m sorry. Your reputation has to take a hit if you want her to leave us alone.”

I can only pout. Sica is right. “What did you say to her?” I want to know how bad the hit to my reputation is.

My heart sinks even further when Sica grins and says, “Trust me. You don’t wanna know.”

.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

I turn to Sica after putting my duffel bag down. She’s already pulling her top off, and I’m treated to a good view of my much missed abs. Oh my abs…come back to Mommy…

“Stop looking at me, you ,” Sica growls.

“I miss my abs,” I whine and pout sadly, unable to tear my eyes away from the abs that were once mine. And what’s more disturbing is how they look a little flabbier than before. Oh no! My abs! My dear precious abs…

“Can I touch them, please?” I plead and her eyes soften under my earnest request.

“Fine. Just a quick touch. Don’t linger.”

I nod vigorously and she turns to me.

“Go ahead,” she says and I run my fingers down the beautiful line of definition that takes so much work to manifest and maintain. She shivers under my touch and slaps my hand away before I get enough of my abs.

“Enough,” she breathes and I notice a hint of pink in her cheeks. What gives?

Sica turns away and walks into a cubicle with my lifeguard bikini and I’m left staring at her, clueless. She is so difficult to figure out sometimes. Oh well. Better get changed.

.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

We’re both in the pool (by ourselves, at last!) and I’m about to tell Sica a few important things about safety when I hear an unwelcomed voice.

“Wow. Kwon Yuri. You have outdone yourself now. Bringing your girlfriend into our training facility? What kind of example are you setting for our juniors? Hmm?”

Argh! Not her!

.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>