2 - Meeting Me

The Switch

 

 

“Soojung ah, I’m fine. I-I.. I saw a bug.”

 

“Oh, what kind of bug is it? I can catch it for you.”

 

“Never mind! It’s gone now.”

 

“Oh…” I slump again the wall in utter relief, thinking that Soojung would finally leave but my heart almost stops when I hear her voice again. “Uh… unnie?”

 

I am this close to losing my mind but I have to answer my sister as calmly as I can.

 

“Yes?”

 

“Unnie, your voice sounds weird this morning. Are you sick?”

 

Oh no! Even my voice sounds like Yuri’s now! Yet, in spite of the tumultuous state of mind I am in right now, my mind amazingly spots a great opening to save myself from the impending disaster.

 

“Yes, I’ve got a sore throat… and perhaps a cold as well.”

 

“That’s odd… you were fine when you came home last night. In fact, I haven’t seen you that happy in quite a while.”

 

“I-It must be the seafood I ate.” I amaze myself again with my quick comeback. I never knew myself to be so adept at coming up with lies.

 

“Oh... but wouldn’t you be having a stomachache instead of a cold?”

 

This is one of those moments when you would really love to throttle your irritating little sister to death but I know that she’s asking out of concern for me so I take a deep breath and calm myself down again.

 

“Soojung ah, I’m not feeling well. Asking me so many questions isn’t helping.”

 

“Mianhae unnie. Er, last question. Are you still going to send Mummy and Daddy off to the airport if you’re sick?”

 

I almost groan out loud. I had completely forgotten all about it! My parents are going to the States to visit our family members and they are leaving today. And that was why my alarm went off so early. Never in my right mind would I ever set an alarm on a Saturday morning otherwise. Saturday and Sunday are the only two days in the week that I can sleep till the sun is high up in the sky and nobody in their right mind would even think of trying to wake me up early on a weekend.

 

I look down at myself. Who am I kidding, I’m not even myself! I’m Yuri! My parents are going to have a heart attack if I appear as Yuri claiming to be their dear daughter Jessica.

 

“I don’t think I can go.” I think I sound rather sad because my dear sister comforts me immediately.

 

“Aww… don’t be sad unnie. You can go and pick them up when they come back!”

 

I smile to myself. Soojung and I are so different. We’re sisters but we are like day and night. Most people don’t know that we are sisters until we tell them that we are. For one, we don’t really look alike. Then there are our differences. For example, I’m terrible at sports but she’s really good at it. Yet at the end of the day, we care for each other deeply. Blood will always be thicker than water—unless you mess with it stupidly.

 

“Arasso.”

 

“But unnie, do you want to at least go down and say goodbye to them?”

 

Oh no. I immediately groan out loud. “Soojung ah… that stomachache you were talking about… I think it’s here. I need the bathroom.”

 

“Omo… unnie… are you sure you will be alright?”

 

“Yes, yes. Don’t worry. I’m sure I’ll feel better after this.”

 

“Okay, I’ll tell Mom and Dad that you can’t go with us. I’ll be back soon!”

 

“Arasso! Come back safely!”

 

I finally heave a sigh of relief when I hear her footsteps fading away and collapse onto my bed. I lie there, feeling the soft sheets under my skin, seeking comfort in my favourite place to be until I remember that I have a huge problem on my hands and only a very limited time to solve it before Soojung comes home again.

 

Just. Kill. Me. Now.

 

I stand in front of the mirror again and study myself closely (or is it Yuri that I’m studying? I’m confusing myself). A little of my—or is it her—tummy is showing. She’s taller than me so my tank isn’t long enough for this longer body. The pair of shorts I’m wearing now looks way too short to be worn decently as well.

 

I raise my tank a little higher. The abs on this body are truly a work of art and I find myself wondering just how much work went into the maintenance of abs like these. Whatever the amount work it took Yuri to get abs like this is something that I am sure I would never ever want to do. I run my fingers across the well-defined abs.

 

Oh…

 

Nice.

 

I like them. But not when they are on me!

 

This won’t do. I have to get to Yuri and find out what landed me in this bowl of hot cucumber soup. I need to get out of it. FAST.

 

 

.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

 

 

Hyoyeon watches as Jessica dashes out of her home with her iPhone in hand, presumably to get away from being seen by her sister. She stifles a giggle as Jessica is decked out in the most un-Jessica-like clothes—an oversized t-shirt and track pants that don’t quite reach her ankles. None of her shoes fit her so she is forced to wear a pair of old flip flops that miraculously fit her new feet. All in all, she looks terrible—the most uncoordinated look she has ever donned—but she doesn’t really care. It’s not her image she’s ruining anyway.

 

“Hyoyeon.” Her father’s stern voice wipes the silly grin off of her face.

 

She jumps to her feet and hides her iPhone behind her back but that move only made her father more suspicious of her.

 

“Are you doing your job of helping Jessica and Yuri out? You promised to be with them every step of the way. This is the moment that they need you the most.”

 

“You’re wrong Dad.” Hyoyeon speaks smoothly as though she has this all thought out beforehand. “They need time to get over the shock. If I appear now, they will think that I’m crazy and won’t believe me.”

 

Personally, she doesn’t think that it will make much of a difference if she waits but her father seems to think that she’s right.

 

“Hmm… well thought out, Hyoyeon. Well done.”

 

Hyoyeon beams at her father, showing her beautiful set of pearly whites. “Don’t worry Dad… I’ve got this under control.”

 

Her father sighs and shakes his head slightly. “Why do I worry more when you say that?”

 

 

.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

 

 

I feel like whacking my own head—which now looks like Sica’s head—real hard for forgetting to get Sica’s number the night before and also for not remembering to save her number when she called me yesterday. I have no way of contacting her unless she contacts me. A sudden thought paralyzes me with the worst kind of dread.

 

What if she doesn’t call me again?

 

How am I going to go out looking like Sica?

 

What if I’m stuck looking like this forever? What will I do?

 

I groan from the depths of my tortured mind.

 

A sudden burst of song from my iPhone makes me jump as though I’ve been struck by lightning. Who is it?

 

“MICKEY MOUSE!!!”

 

No, no… it isn’t Mickey Mouse. I’m just exclaiming because my worst fear has just been dissolved. The caller is Sica.

 

“Sica! I’m so glad you called! I—“

 

“I don’t have time to listen to you gushing about our wonderful dinner last night. I have a serious problem with my body right now. I need to see you privately in private where no one else is around.”

 

“What?” My blood runs hot and cold as Jessica makes her demands. Wow. I know we had a really good dinner last night but isn’t she going a little too fast right now? I was planning on getting to know her better before making another move but it seems as though she wants to skip right to the… the…

 

GULP.

 

“Er… aren’t we going a little too fast?” I ask hesitantly, not wanting to reject her… needs… too directly.

 

“WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? I DON’T HAVE ANY TIME TO LOSE! I NEED TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM BEFORE MY SISTER GETS HOME!”

 

GULP.

 

“Er…” I break into sweat nervously, remembering the state that I am in. “I think you’re in for a shock when you see me and… I may not be able to… solve your… ahem… problem. I don’t think you would want to… do it with me…”

 

“DO IT? WITH YOU? Yuri, you need to start talking sense and we need to meet. Pronto. Is there any one in your house?”

 

SHE WANTS TO COME TO MY HOUSE AND DO IT WITH ME?

 

HOLY MICKEY!

 

“I live alone.” I my lips nervously.

 

“Excellent. Text me your address. I’ll drive over to your place now.”

 

“Okay.” I nod obediently. “Can I have your number Sica?” I ask, feeling proud of myself for finally remembering to get her number.

 

She sounds incredibly impatient when she answers. “I’m calling you on your iPhone right now. Won’t you have my number already?”

 

“Oh…” I scratch my head, feeling rather foolish all of a sudden. I could have checked my call log to get her number!

 

ARGH.

 

I drag my palm down my face, feeling utterly stupid in that moment.

 

‘Text me your address now!’ She instructs before hanging up.

 

I text her my address.

 

Then I sit and wait.

 

As I wait for Sica to arrive, I can’t help but feel curious about her body. She is definitely smaller than me—my baggy t-shirt looks even baggier and my shorts look a little like bermudas now that I have Sica’s body.

 

I catch myself rubbing my (Sica’s) tummy. I miss my abs. Oh how hard I worked to get those abs. My lifeguard swim suit bares my midriff and I love it when guys and gals alike, gawk at my beautifully chiselled abs at the beach. My interest begins to inch upwards after the loss of my abs. Mmm, Sica is rather well-endowed. I stand in front of the mirror admiring her (myself) figure but it’s so weird to see her face making expressions that only I would make.

 

Just then, the doorbell chimes.

 

I inhale a huge breath and hold it momentarily before exhaling loudly.

 

“Yuri ah, you can do it. Yuri ah, stay calm.”

 

I feel better after talking to myself and walk to the door. My hand grips the handle and pulls the door open.

 

I don’t see Sica. I see Yuri. That’s me.

 

I’m not dreaming… am I?

 

“FOR THE LOVE OF MICKEY!!!” I yell in shock which comes out more like a dolphin screech.

 

She appears to be equally stunned but she comes to her senses before I do and clamps her hand over my mouth which technically is my hand over her mouth. Oh my mouse… this is so unreal. She pushes me inside and kicks the door shut with her foot.

 

“Tell me that this is just a dream. Please.” I beg. “I WANT TO WAKE UP!!!”

 

She pulls my cheeks with her thumbs and index fingers.

 

“OWW! STOP IT!” I whine and push her hands away from my face.

 

“You’re not dreaming Yuri.”

 

My eyes widen before I squeeze them shut and cover my ears with my palms as I shake my head violently.

 

“Nooo… How can this be??? I am talking to myself in Sica’s body. It must be all the sun that I go under. I’ve gone delusional.”

 

“YURI!! COME TO YOUR SENSES I DON’T HAVE ALL DAY!!!” She screams almost hysterically at me which is incredibly weird because I’ve never really heard my voice going that high before.

 

I open my eyes again and look at her only to see myself looking back at me with an intense burning glare in those eyes of mine. That intense look belongs to Sica and that is the only way I can ascertain that I am not actually delusional.

 

“How did this happen to us?”

 

She sighs and shrugs. “I don’t know.”

 

“Could it be the prawns?”

 

She gives me the kind of look that says a lot about her opinion of my level of intelligence.

 

“Do you mind if I don’t look at you when we talk? I don’t want to see myself wearing that dumb look on my face.”

 

She averts her eyes from mine and gestures for me to shut my mouth just like she did at the dinner last night. I shut my mouth immediately, blushing in embarrassment.

 

“That’s a good idea. It’s really weird for me to look at myself talking to myself too.”

 

We turn away from each other and face the television instead.

 

“Now, what do we do?” I ask her. She seems a lot more calm and collected than me. She should have some ideas.

 

“We try to figure out how we ended up in each other’s bodies.”

 

Just then, a loud bang goes off in the middle of my living room, making us jump in our skins for the 2122418125th time this morning.

 

BOOM!

 

A rainbow of sparkles cloud our vision and we blink rapidly, trying to regain our vision. When we finally do, we are convinced that we must have gone delusional.

 

Sica and I look at each other at the same time. The look on our faces affirm that we are both seeing what the other person is seeing—a cheeky-looking girl with two pairs of pretty white dragonfly-like wings sprawled in an awkward posture on the floor.

 

“FOR THE LOVE OF MICKEY!!!”

 

“HOLY MOTHER OF ICICLES!!!”

 

The girl coughs violently as she picks herself off the floor and stands up to smile at us two completely stupefied girls.

 

“Relax, relax… no need to get all worked up. Never seen a fairy before?”

 

Sica and I gape at her with our jaws hanging wide open and shake our heads mutely.

 

She grins impishly, showing off her sparkling whites. She curtsies as her arm sweeps through the air with a flourish.

 

“Well, now you’ve seen one. Hi, I’m Hyoyeon. I’m a fairy.”

 

 

.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸Author’s Note¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

 

And…-drumroll- YulSica meet!

I had a lot of fun imagining it in my head and then writing it. Wonder if you have as much fun reading it?

Tadaa~ Hyoyeon, YulSic’s fairy (godsister? Lmao) arrives to help them out! –cough–