Accident Waiting to Happen2

Accident Waiting to Happen

Chapter 2:

 

What was it that made Apple, an older sister, look after Irene all the time?

Let's go back in time:

Their family lives in the country side where there were  mountain, hills, rivers and a small lake, and there were areas for orchards and farm lands.

Apple was the apple of the eye of her parents before Irene was born, now she was being upstarted by a baby and she did not like it. She became jealous of Irene and did not like her for it.

Then another sibling was born after Irene. They have a baby brother named Eric. And both sisters adored him.

Apple was only older by four years with Irene and, she in turn. was only a year older with Eric.

Even as a child Irene loved to explore her surroundings and then forgot everything else. She was a child prodigy. Apple was exceptionally intelligent but, she saw the difference between her and her younger sister.

And one day, when Irene was three years old, she went exploring again and was gone for hours. No one knew where she was and they looked all over. They asked the neighbors, if they have seen Irene. and no one has. So they asked the help of their neighbors to look for Irene.

Apple did not understand everything but she started to feel worried about what was happening, seeing how her parents were panicking, and got more worried when she saw her mother cry.

With cheeks full of air, she was thinking,  'Is it really bad? But she is only out there somewhere.. Ooohh when I see that girl I'll give her a scolding she will never forget.. for making our parents worry..and making mother cry..'  She and Eric was left behind in their house with one of their neighbors. Her parents went with the neighbors to search for Irene.

As they were looking for Irene it started raining, and the clouds were darkening, showing an impending strong rain.

Some of their neighbors went home to get rain gears and umbrellas, while the others continued on through the rain.. It was already a downpour.. and it was dark..

It was ages before one of their neighbors found Irene shivering huddled under a tree, clutching a small bird in her t-shirt folded in her small arms.. it seems, she took off her t-shirt to keep the bird warm..

She was brought home as soon as possible.. and they warmed her up.. but she was more concerned with the bird than herself.. Irene was shivering with a shaky voice, "Omma, please take care of my friend bird...please..."  then she fainted.

Apple upon seeing Irene in that condition shocked her.. Irene was white as a paper.

They had to rush Irene to the hospital.

That was the day that started the change in Apple, which she promised herself to look after Irene, given a chance from then on.




The present day:


Apple has a plate full of food in her right hand a glass of cold ice tea on the other, when she came back. And she had a small blanket in her left arm.

Apple was thinking, 'Irene is a genius and has several degrees under her belt but she can be a dunce sometimes . . . I don't know how she can survive without me. . . she has one track mind . . . and forgets everything else even eating . . . hhhmmmmm '

She was giving the plate to Irene and said, "Irene, eat something first before you continue with what you are doing. You have been out here for so long...and it's already lunch time."

Irene smiled at Apple and said, "Thank you for the food big sister ... now that I can smell the food, I think I heard my stomach groan... "

"Let's spread the blanket first.. so we both could sit better." And they spread the blanket between them.  Making sure they awere no where near the tiny flower that was marked down by Irene.

And Irene started eating and had a drink from the glass. And the sisters had a talk, while Irene was eating.