Zoo

Baekhyun's Point of View

 

I wake up in the morning with the same clothes that I wore last night. Last night I celebrated my birthday and this shirt was supposed to be wet but now it is all dried.. I stand up from my bed and started walking to the bathroom. I wasn’t sure whether it was just me or I did lost balance as I was about to pass through my bedroom to the corridor. I leave it to my imagination as I continue to do my daily morning routine.

 “BAEKKIE!!! LET’S GO TO THE ZOO!!” Sooyoung-noona barged into our house when I was about to take a sip of milk from a bowl of cereal.

“Mrs Cho, may I borrow your son for a day, please? It’s my birthday present for him.” Her request was quickly granted by my mom.

“How are you planning to go with? Can you drive?” My mom asked her.

“No. I can’t. Don’t worry! I already called a taxi to come and pick us up in an hour from now!” She giggled. “It’ll be fun Baekkie! We’re going to the zoo! Just the two of us!”

Wait.. Did she just say just the two of us? It’s a date right? My birthday present is a date with Sooyoung-noona?!!! WOOHOOO~!

“I’m going too. Let me just drive you there instead of taking taxi. It’s hard to believe taxi drivers nowadays. I heard so many crime stories because of them, and I don’t think Baekhyun is capable enough to handle emergency situation.” Hyung gave a loud sighed while his eyes were looking sharp at me.

“That’s a good idea. Sooyoung, just canceled the taxi. I believe you just got yourself a new taxi driver free of charge. Right, Kyunnie?” My mom was giving hyung a thumb up.

I was on my way upstair when hyung tapped my back, “Sorry for interrupting your date.” He smirked again.

I shake my head again, convincing him it wasn’t a date. Hyung continued to smirk as he walked to his room, getting ready to go out.

As hyung was driving us to the zoo, the fight between hyung and noona never stops.

“I don’t understand why you always wear shorts. Haven’t you heard something called trousers or long jeans? When girls want to care so much of their legs, why do they expose them like wanting them to be destroyed?”

“I don’t get what are you babbling about. My legs are just too awesome to wear long jeans.”

“Your legs are awesome? I’m a lot more attracted to Baekhyun’s leg than yours!”

“So you’re telling me Baekkie have a girl’s leg? Or you are actually attracted more to men? I heard you quite close to a guy name Sungmin. His girlfriend once told me how suspicious she was watching you two bromancing each other. Now I feel like throwing up.”

“Hey! Don’t speak badly about Sungmin! Wanna know something? It’s not just about your legs, what the heck are you wearing thin white shirt like that? I can easily see your bra!”

“Oh really? What color is my bra?”

“…………”

“WHAT COLOR IS IT?!”

“PINK! ITS BLACK AND PINK! Darn it!”

“WRONG! The color that you just saw actually came along with the shirt! My printed shirt isn’t that thin. This shirt is awesome, right? Kyuhyun-oppa, you’re ert!” Noona couldn’t stop laughing.

Seriously, this kind of conversation got my face in completely red. I could also see hyung’s ears turned red too. I really hope that I wasn’t in the car to hear such topic.

“Baekkie, what do you think about my attire today?” Sooyoung-noona suddenly asked me.

“Well, I don’t mind as long as you’re comfortable on anything you’re wearing. You still look good.” I smiled at her. Honestly a pretty girl like Sooyoung-noona, I find it absurd to battle against her clothing style. Anything she wears will stand out no matter how ugly the clothes are. Trust me.

“Awww.. You’re so sweet Baekkie~!!!” She clapped her hand, laughing at my answers.

“Yeah, among all the clothes, I still believe fully teddy bear costume looks really good on you.”

“YAAAH! KYUHYUN-OPPA!”

“We’re HERE!” I tried to change the subject. I tried my best to avoid more fight between them. Thankfully, hyung and noona started to talk about animal the moment we reached the main entrance of the zoo. Hyung parked the car while noona went to the counter to buy the tickets.

“Actually noona, yesterday’s delicious cupcakes are already enough as a present for my birthday. You don’t need to go all the troubles to bring me to the zoo..” I opened up my thoughts on today.

“Hm? Sorry, I guess zoo doesn’t really suits you, is it? I just felt like going somewhere with the birthday boy today. Nothing more than that.” She patted my head again.

“Oh! I thought you didn’t realize that! I was wondering too why out of so many places, you choose to visit a zoo. You’re looking for a friend? That one looks like you.” Hyung interrupted while pointing at the shrews, a species in a same family as a mouse.

“Why that?” She asked. However, from the look of her face, I’m pretty sure she doesn’t really want to know the reason. She kind of predicted the answer wouldn’t please her anyhow.

“Oh, easy. Shrew eats like 80-90% of its normal body weight like you. Have skinny legs like you. Have big and long nose which represents people who are busy-body like you. And did you see how dark their skins are? Just like YOU!” Hyung’s detailed comparison of Shrew made me worried.

“Oh, yeah? Come here. Let me show the one that looks like you,” she grabbed hyung’s arm and pulled him to the snake section.

“See that rattlesnake? It has poisonous bite, just like you when you talk. It rattles when people come, just like you making noise with your nonstop talking when people came. Did you also know that rattlesnakes are also widely known for its mentally immature? WOW! Exactly like you!”

Oh no. I sense war is approaching.. Think Baekhyun, THINK!!!

“Hey, remember my friend Tao? He got a nickname Panda because he looks like one!” I tried to pull hyung and noona outside of the Snake section. I really want them to stop arguing.

Both of them were hesitate to move at first, probably because they were still giving each other death glare and wanting to win  themselves, but after I constantly pulling and begging them, they finally made their way outside.

As soon as I left their arm, my sight went really blurred and I was blind for a couple of seconds. I was grasping for anything to hold my feet from not falling down. But before I realized it, everything went back to normal.

“Are you okay? Sooyoungie went to buy some ice cream and hotdog.” Hyung suddenly walked closer, showing his worried face.

“I’m fine. Don’t worry.” I smiled at hyung.

While waiting for noona, I asked hyung about yesterday’s birthday party. It turned out that Sooyoung-noona saw Kyungsoo and Kai coming out of my house a week ago and secretly went to tell them about her plans for my birthday. She suggested to my parents and hyung leaving the house and giving me less suspicious excuses. She was worried the noise from her house while preparing for the surprise will make me come to her house before everything is set up. But hyung told her that I don’t seem to be a person who would interrupt other people’s business. Hyung made me surprised on how well he knew me. Well, he is my big brother after all.

“By the way hyung, thanks for the wallet. It’s pretty.” I showed him the brown Fossil wallet he gave me as a present last night. I wanted to show him my gratitude by using it right away.

“I saw there’s a huge hole at the back of your previous wallet. I wonder why you keep on using them. Did your girlfriend give it to you or something?” Hyung asked out of curiosity.

“Aaaa.. Mom bought that. But I’m just too lazy to buy new one. But since that hole doesn’t affect the function of the wallet, only the appearance looked kind of… But it still works though. So I thought why not just keep using it?”

Hyung nodded with my explanation. Noona came towards us with three ice creams.

“Here, you like chocolate flavor right?” She handed me one of the ice cream while passed the one with mint flavor to hyung. She was the strawberry flavor cream on top of a waffle cone.

I was about to get the taste of the chocolate cream when my sight went blurred again. But, this time it was much worse. The dizziness that I felt was extremely out of my control. I went blind right away. I felt my body fall right on the floor, obeying the law of gravity. I was conscious but my body doesn’t have any force to pull myself back. I heard noona screaming and everything went blank afterwards.

*************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

I finally regained consciousness. My eyelids however were too heavy to pull upwards to let my vision explored the location. But by the smell of the room, I definitely sure I was currently in a hospital. In my opinion, the smell of medicine, drugs and detergent in everything are the same in all hospital. My hearing also came back awhile later as I starting to hear the sound of sobbing.

“It’s my fault. I should not plan such birthday party in the middle of the night. Did you know it was I who made him totally drenched? I shouldn’t do it in the first place. I mean, I shouldn’t have approved his friends when they requested to play water gun with Baekkie.. It’s all my fault.”

“Sooyoungie, it’s not your fault. I’m also at fault for letting him sleep in a wet shirt. Tissue?”

“Thanks. Kyuhyun-oppa, please tell your parents this won’t happen again.”

“Sooyoungie.. It’s not serious. Doctor said it’s just a normal cold.. I already called mom, she’s on her way here. Don’t worry.. Everything will be fine. This is my brother, Baekhyun. He might look cute and sweet in the outside, but he’s definitely a strong boy in the inside.. Trust me.”

I heard slight chuckles from noona.

“Baekkie is definitely the cutest and sweetest boy I ever met. I believe he's a strong boy too. Thanks Kyuhyun-oppa..”

The flow of noona and hyung’s conversation was very different from before. I love it. I love the feeling of peace.

“Wait, Baekhyun? Are you smiling?” Hyung got me surprised and later I realized I could finally open my eyes. I recovered quickly and was discharged the next day with doctor’s permission.