Chapter Five

Because You're By My Side

 

Hello, Hello, DEARIES! <3 Before anything else, I want to apologize, because I said that I'm gonna post this last Saturday.... And it's already Monday night!! I'm really sorry! I hardly had any sleep last week, and I spent a large part of my Saturday catching some Z's. I kinda look like a panda right now. :P Again, I'm really sorry! So here you go... Enough with the excuses. This I think might be the longest update so far. So, go go go read!  ^^

 


 

 

*ding-dong*

Chanyeol stirred in his sleep, he was too busy sleeping to hear the sound coming from the door.

*ding-dong*

A sudden flinch appeared on his face.

*ding-dong* *ding-dong* *ding-dong*

“Chanyeol-ah…” A small sound came from the person sleeping n the top bunk of the bed...

Chanyeol grunted in response.

“Chanyeol-ah, answer the door.”

“You answer the door…” Chanyeol retaliated.

“But you are the one in the bottom bunk…”

*ding-dong* *ding-dong* *ding-dong* *ding-dong*

“ALL RIGHT!” Chanyeol sat up abruptly on his bed, hitting the bed above him. Cursing profanely, he looked up at the clock on the wall. A look of annoyance came to his face when he saw the time.

“Six o’clock?!” Chanyeol gasped. “Who in their right state of mind comes to doorbell at six in the morning?!!!”

“Just answer the door,” Joonmyun said sleepily as he tried going back to sleep. “And you could start cooking breakfast after.”

“Aish,” Chanyeol mumbled random things as he made his way out of the bedroom. “Why did I end up in the bottom bunk anyway? Just because I’m bigger. This is too unfair. Who the hell is visiting us this early…? Damn him, whoever he is… Interrupting my precious sleep…”

*ding-dong*

“I’m coming!!!” Chanyeol yelled angrily at the door. “Honestly…” He made his way to the door.

“Okay, what is…?” Chanyeol opened the door to find Baekhyun smiling up to him brightly.

“Good morning!!!” Baekhyun greeted happily.

“Baekhyun?!” Chanyeol gaped. “What are you doing here?! Or more importantly, WHY DID YOU MAKE SUCH A RACKET THIS EARLY IN THE MORNING?! ARE YOU HIGH?!”

Baekhyun smiled up at Chanyeol, then decided to let himself in and took a seat on one of the chairs in the kitchen.

Chanyeol followed Baekhyun’s moves. “Yeah, you know come in…” he mumbled.

“I brought breakfast.” Baekhyun said as he showed a plastic bag. “Do you want some? Let’s eat!”

Chanyeol stared astonished at Baekhyun with his jaw dropped. He could hardly believe what is happening. He practically pinched himself to check if he was dreaming, and it hurt. A lot. He stared in wonder as the boy in front of him started preparing the food that he brought.

“Chanyeol,” Baekhyun frowned at him. “Close your mouth. A fly might go in.”

Chanyeol was snapped back to his senses. “Would you mind explaining what the hell is going on here?!”

“I will explain later.” Baekhyun stared up at him. “After we eat breakfast.”

Chanyeol blinked repeatedly. “You’re starting to scare me. How did you know where we live?”

Baekhyun smiled. “I have my sources. By the way, is Joonmyun here?”

“He’s sleeping.” Chanyeol answered. “But he’s gonna be up soon. I guess. Why?”

“I thought about it,” Baekhyun started. “I know how I can help Joonmyun.”

“That was fast!” Chanyeol nearly jumped from the excitement. “It’s only been three days! What’s your plan?”

“Let’s wait for Joonmyun to wake up.” Baekhyun responded calmly.

Chanyeol heard a shuffling behind him. When he turned around, he saw a sleepy Joonmyun walking groggily from their bedroom.

“Chanyeol-ah…” Joonmyun asked his friend. “Who was it at the…” Then he saw Baekhyun sitting happily at the kitchen table.

“Baekhyun-ah!” Joonmyun gasped. “What are you doing here?!”

“Joonmyun-ah!” Baekhyun smiled. “Let’s eat breakfast! Come on, sit down! Chanyeol sit down too!”

“And I wonder who the owner of this place is?” Chanyeol muttered under his breath.

“I heard that.” Baekhyun scowled at him when they started eating.

“You shouldn’t have bothered with breakfast, Baekhyun.” Chanyeol said after they ate.

Joonmyun chuckled. “He says that after eating 3 servings.”

Chanyeol pouted as Baekhyun laughed. “Just tell us why you came here this morning, Baekhyun.”

Chanyeol noticed that Baekhyun’s face turned serious, He put down his utensils and stood up. He then looked intently at Joonmyun.

“I want you to be my assistant, Joonmyun-ah.”

 


 

Minseok nearly choked as he finished eating his breakfast. He was going to be late. Again. He did not hear his alarm clock ringing this morning, because he slept late on coming home last night due to his part time job. This was not the first time that he was delayed. And quite honestly, he was used to it. He hurriedly threw his utensils on the sink (He must remember to wash them later, or else he is gonna run out of plates anytime soon.). As soon as he closed the door of his apartment, he heard someone clearing a throat behind him. Minseok rolled his eyes as soon as he took notice of the familiar sound that he had been hearing for the past few days. Minseok turned around to look at the person behind him.

“I told you,” Minseok breathed a frustrated sigh. “I can go to school on my own. You don’t have to pick me up every time, Tao.”

Tao did not say anything, but stared intently at the boy in front of him. His eyes looked so sharp that Minseok felt that Tao was examining him.

“Wh… What is it?” Minseok said as he avoided Tao’s gaze. He was feeling self-conscious already.

Tao’s expression seemed confused, like he was struggling to say something. He opened his mouth, but closed it immediately as if letting the matter go. However, after a couple of minutes, he opened his mouth once again, and then closed it after. Minseok is already reaching his boiling point as he watched the tall boy in front of him.

“Just say something!” Minseok widened his eyes in panic. “You are starting to freak me out!”

Tao frowned, “You’re late today.”

“I’m always late.” Minseok said plainly, but deep inside he was kind of relieved that Tao had finally decided to talk. He started walking away, if they are lucky, they can still make it to school on time.

“I was waiting here for over an hour!” Tao complained at Minseok as they climbed down the stairs of the apartment. “I even heard your alarm clock ringing repeatedly. It took you so long to wake up! Seriously! Did you know your footsteps are really heavy? I can hear you running around your apartment the whole time! And then you eat noisily too! I also heard you almost choking in there! What if you seriously choked on your food? Who would save you? Aish… I almost broke in earlier because of that! If you woke up early, you would not have to eat your breakfast so fast!”

“Well,” Minseok said defensively. “Who told you to wait for me in the first place? I told you I can walk to school on my own. And by the way, what is it to you if I’m noisy? I like my footsteps loud and clear. It means I’m proud and hardworking! And honestly, how could you even hear me eating? I like enjoying my food! Even if I’m late, I want to eat breakfast! It’s the most important meal of the day! It gives me energy to run to school when I’m late! Hmph, what the hell am I even saying? Or more importantly, what are you doing? It’s like you installed a hidden camera in my apartment! Oh my… You did, didn’t you?! Stalker!”

Minseok was catching his breath when he finished his statement. His eyes were shooting daggers as he turned to the boy walking beside him. His expression becomes more infuriated when he saw that Tao looked at him smugly.

“What?!” Minseok narrowed his eyes. “Don’t tell me you did install a camera?”

Tao shook his head, but he looked like he was about to laugh. “Of course not.”

“Then what?!” Minseok exclaimed.

“See?” Tao said smiling. “You’re even noisy even now.”

Minseok was dumbfounded and he immediately put a hand above his mouth.

“I’m not noisy.” Minseok mumbled as Tao laughed loudly beside him.

“Yeah,” Tao said sarcastically. “I so believe you.”

Minseok scoffed. “Whatever,”

“By the way.” Tao’s tone became more serious somber. “Did you sleep well?”

Minseok blinked and nodded. Every time they go to school, Tao would ask him questions. It was always the same set of questions. It was like a routine for the tall boy, and Minseok was just getting used to it. He felt obligated to answer each and every one of them.

“What did you eat for breakfast today?”

“Cereal.” Minseok answered.

“Did you finish eating them?”

“Yes.”

“Did you put ointment to your wounds?”

“Yes.”

“All of them?”

“Yes.”

“Are you sure?”

Minseok rolled his eyes before answering. “Yes.”

“Do they still hurt?”

“Not really. They’re starting to heal.”

Tao nodded. “Good. Are you mad that I walk with you to school every day?”

This was always Tao’s last question, and Minseok always have the same honest answer. “No.”

 

When they reached the classroom, everyone in the class fell quiet. Everybody knew what happened the other day with Minseok. How could they not know about it? Everyone in the school knows. The popular guy, Tao-oppa defends a nobody. And who could not notice the bruises left on Minseok after the assault? The school’s headmaster was furious, and he immediately expelled the girls that were involved.

At first, Minseok was uncomfortable of the attention he was getting. He always felt awkward especially the first time he and Tao walked in the classroom the day after. His classmates would start buzzing around and whisper secretly to each other as they eyed Minseok. That was all they do, because they would not dare angering Tao. He felt ill at ease. However, Minseok noticed Tao did not seem to care what the others say, so he decided to just go with the flow as well.

Before Tao went to his seat, he turned to Minseok.

“Where are you at lunch break?” He asked the smaller boy.

Minseok thought about it, “I guess I’ll be eating with Kyungsoo at his classroom.”

“I’ll eat with you.”

Minseok gaped. Lunch break is the only time that Tao leaves him alone, because he knows that Kyungsoo is with Minseok. (Tao also stays in the Home Economics room as well, after joining the club yesterday.)

“Why?”

“Do I need a reason?” Tao asked.

Minseok thought about it. “I guess not.”

 


 

 

Joonmyun stopped to catch his breath. He held the brown envelope as his hands tightly as if his life depended on it. Come to think of it, it kind of does. His legs were starting to hurt, but he decided to ignore the pain he was feeling. He needed to do this. He needed to finish this job. He was getting close to his goal and he was never gonna let this go. After resting a bit, he decided to run once again. He can already see the company building. As he ran, feeling the rush of wind against his skin, he remembered what happened in their apartment that morning and how he ended up in that situation.

 

EARLIER THAT DAY; AT JOONMYUN’S AND CHANYEOL’S APARTMENT

 

It was five minutes before seven o’clock. Joonmyun looked at the clock for the nth time since Baekhyun told him that he wants Joonmyun to be his assistant. Joonmyun was totally surprised. He wanted to say yes at once, because he knows in his heart that being Baekhyun’s assistant would bring him closer to Yixing. On the other hand, he was really hesitant to accept for the same reason. Deep down, he knew that as soon as Baekhyun said his statement, he knew what his answer going to be.

After the night he spent in Yixing’s apartment, he had not seen his friend. Joonmyun contemplated the words that he told Yixing before he left the apartment every night before he goes to sleep. He kept thinking if what he said was one of those spur of the moment things. These past few days, he tried to push the memory of what happened that time, and decided to just focus on finding a job.  However, Baekhyun’s offer made him face the issue at hand. Joonmyun knew that aside from the fact that he will always be by Yixing’s side, he could help greatly with their financial needs. He wondered if Chanyeol would want him to accept the job. Chanyeol seemed to be neutral about the offer; he did not say anything and sat silently with Baekhyun in the kitchen. Joonmyun had a lot of thoughts in his head, as he sighed exasperatedly.

“Joonmyun-ah?” Baekhyun approached him. “Have you decided yet?”

Joonmyun nodded. “Yes.”

“Do you want to take the job?” Baekhyun looked at him expectantly.

Joonmyun took a moment before answering, “Yes.”

“Yes!” Baekhyun cheered as he jumped in his place. “However, I need to test you.”

“A test?!” A yell came out of the kitchen. “I thought Joonmyun’s already got the job?!” Chanyeol strode out from the kitchen to the living room.

“Of course he’s got the job!” Baekhyun snapped back at Chanyeol. “I just want to test his ability, that’s all.”

Chanyeol scoffed and glared at Baekhyun. But Baekhyun glared back at him.

“It’s fine, Chanyeol-ah.” Joonmyun tried to make light of the atmosphere. “What am I supposed to do, Baekhyun-ah?”

“This,” Baekhyun pulled out a brown envelope. “Bring this to the President of the company.”

“That’s it?” Chanyeol asked. “He has to bring an envelope to the President?”

“Not exactly.” Baekhyun narrowed his eyes at Chanyeol. “It contains an important document.”

“What kind of document?” Joonmyun asked nervously.

“It’s a contract that Yixing needed to sign today.” Baekhyun replied.

“Oh.” Joonmyun nodded his head to show that he understands.

“However,” Baekhyun said warningly. “You must bring this before the President reaches his office. Once his office door closes, you won’t be able to go in anymore.”

Joonmyun wanted to ask something. “I have a question, though.”

“What is it?”

“What time does the President arrive at his office?” Joonmyun asked curiously.

“Eight o’clock, sharp.”

“WHAT?!”  Chanyeol gasped as he looked at the clock. “It’s almost seven thirty, and the company’s at the other side of the town!”

Baekhyun looked at Joonmyun keenly. “So, can you do it?” Baekhyun handed the envelope to Joonmyun.

“Yes.” His voice was full of determination as he snatched the envelope and dashed outside of the apartment.

/end of flashback/

 

A car just stopped in front of the building when Joonmyun arrived. He knew immediately who was in it, because a number of security staff went around it immediately, and the employees assembled themselves to welcome the President. Joonmyun knew at once that he had to find a way to give the envelope to him. But how? He watched the President got out of his car. Joonmyun decided to follow him, but not close enough to bring suspicion to his security staff. Joonmyun was starting to panic. He must do this quickly or else, he is done for. He tried to calm himself, and think of a solution. The President was nearing the elevators; Joonmyun knows that once the President steps in there, he cannot reach him anymore. Thinking that timing is the key, Joonmyun waited patiently as he watched Kris entered the elevator. When he was sure that the President was inside, he instantly sprinted inside as the elevator door closes. Joonmyun was sure that he heard some commotion outside. He is very sure right now that he would get into trouble for what he just did, but he had to worry about that later. He pressed the emergency stop in the elevator right away, just to make sure they would not be interrupted. Joonmyun breathed out in relief, when the elevator stopped.

The President cleared his throat, which caused Joonmyun to become aware of the situation once more. He immediately turned to face the President.

“Do you know,” Kris said calmly. “How much commotion you’re causing outside right now?”

“I don’t know how much.” Joonmyun answered. “But I know that I did cause a commotion.”

“So what are you going to do now?” Kris asked curiously. “Are you gonna kill me? Or are you some desperate musician who thinks he has a chance? Well, just so you know, trapping the both of us in the elevator is not gonna make things easier for you.”

Joonmyun shook his head. “I’m not here to kill you or anything. I’m not a musician, but yes I’m desperate. And I disagree with what you said earlier, I really think that trapping the both of us in this elevator would make things easier for me.

Kris raised his eyebrows at the guy’s honesty. “So what do you want then?”

“This,” Joonmyun handed him the envelope. “I was to deliver this to you.”

“Oh,” Kris said as realization flooded back in his mind. “So Baekhyun sent you?”

“Yes.”

“So he finally found an assistant.” Kris smiled at Joonmyun. “And you made it in time. Congratulations.”

Joonmyun stared at Kris not knowing what to do.

“You want to press the emergency button once again” Kris might have noticed Joonmyun’s confused look.

Joonmyun pressed the button at once and the elevator moved once again. Now that he finished his task, Joonmyun did not know what to do anymore. Should he call Baekhyun or something? Then he remembered about the commotion downstairs? What should he do now?

“You should not worry about the thing downstairs.” Kris said suddenly, and Joonmyun was starting to think that the President can read minds. “I’ll take care of it.”

When the elevator door opened, a loud cheer was heard outside. Joonmyun immediately spotted Baekhyun eagerly waiting for him outside. When Joonmyun and Kris got out, Baekhyun immediately hugged Joonmyun to congratulate him.

“So you did the test on him also, Baekhyun?” Kris asked.

“Yes.” Baekhyun replied. “Do you have any problems with me doing it? You did it to me before.”

Joonmyun looked at Baekhyun curiously. “You did that before as well, Baekhyun-ah?”

Baekhyun nodded. “Yup, but that was ages ago. So what was his time, President?”

“Twenty eight minutes and one second.” Kris said. “I’m surprised you only gave him thirty minutes to do the test, Baekhyun.”

“Let me explain,” Baekhyun clarified. “When it was my turn, they gave me an hour to do the job, but the distance from the company was about the same as now.”

“And he did it for forty four minutes and twenty-three seconds.” Kris added. “Plus he had several police cars chasing after him.”

“Well, I was delayed a bit.” Baekhyun said as Joonmyun laughed.

“You made a good choice, Baekhyun” Kris patted Baekhyun’s shoulder.

“Of course.” Baekhyun smiled at Joonmyun. “I only pick the best.”

 


 

When Jongdae entered the conference room, he saw a very flustered Yixing. The former could not help but to smile to himself. Yixing looked like a version of Jongdae many years ago. He still remembered those times when he had to meet his seniors. The pressure he felt that time was unbelievable. He had always worried about the things he had to say, or how to act with respect. He recalled those times he practiced by himself to perfection, so that he would get to where he is right now. Jongdae felt refreshed that he would be able to work with a junior this time. As Jongdae approached Yixing, the latter did not seem to notice the presence looming beside him. He jerked his head up when Jongdae put a hand on his shoulder to catch his attention.

“Good morning, Yixing.” Jongdae smiled at the jittery boy beside him.

“Jongdae-ssi!” Yixing immediately stood up and bowed as low as he can. “Good morning!”

“Drop the formalities,” Jongdae waved his hand. “Just call me ‘hyung’ if you want.”

“Jongdae-hyung…?” Yixing said nervously.

“That’s more like it.” Jongdae said while gesturing for Yixing to settle down. He sat down across the latter as well. “I’m sorry I was late. Did you wait long?”

Yixing shook his head. “No, Jongdae-hyung. I just got here myself.”

“Really?” Jongdae asked. “That’s good.”

“Uhm, Jongdae-hyung?” Yixing looked like he was still getting used to the new name.

“Yes?” Jongdae inquired.

“Can I ask something?” Yixing answered with another question.

“Ask away, Yixing-ah.” Jongdae said kindly.

Yixing seemed hesitant to voice out his question. He hardly made any eye contact with Jongdae.

“You need to calm down, Yixing-ah.” Jongdae said when he noticed Yixing’s actions.

Yixing smiled shyly as he rubbed the back of his neck. “Uh, I’m sorry. I just feel overwhelmed. I mean, it’s you, Jongdae-ssi… Uh, I mean Jongdae-hyung… and I’m really, really nervous right now. I’m just starting to hear what I’m saying right now, and I’m starting to say random things that don’t make any sense. I’m so sorry.”

“I told you, calm down." Jongdae laughed. “So getting back to your question.”

Yixing was now blushing furiously. “Oh, right. Uhm, why did you choose me to sing with you for your comeback song?”

“What do you mean?” Jongdae tilted his head in confusion. “You’re a good artist. I’ve listened to your songs, Yixing-ah.”

“That’s too much, Jongdae-hyung” Yixing’s face was getting redder by Jongdae’s compliment. “I don’t think I deserved any of that.”

“Don’t underestimate yourself.” Jongdae said. “You’re better than that.”

“But still, why?” Yixing looked down.

Jongdae thought about it for a moment. He looked at his hands on the table. They were starting to tremble. Jongdae decided to put them down under the table so that Yixing would not be able to notice it. His breath was starting to shorten once again, as he felt his surroundings starting to close in. Jongdae breathed deeply to calm himself down.

After he was sure that he was okay, he decided to address the boy in front of him. “Do you want the easy answer or the honest answer?”

Yixing looked even more confused. “I… I don’t understand. I don’t know. I guess the honest answer?”

Jongdae smiled, he was ready for this. “I need you, Yixing-ah.”

 

Half an hour later after his meeting with Yixing, Jongdae stood up in front of the mirror of the washroom. He was looking down, with his trembling hands supporting him. He was breathing hard, droplets of sweat dropping from his forehead. Jongdae could hear the speed of his heart rate as it pounded in his ears. He immediately pulled a small bottle from his pocket and swallowed a pill from it right away. Fear had struck him as he thought of the possibilities of this situation. This was not supposed to happen once again. He thought he was okay. He thought he was healed.

 


 

Kyungsoo looked determinedly at the teacher as he took notes of the lesson. He was very aware about the presence of the person beside him. Things had been very awkward with Jongin and him these days. After their encounter outside the gymnasium, Kyungsoo decided to just ignore the matter. It does not really matter. They were just reverting to how the things were before that weekend. Kyungsoo did not say anything to Jongin, and the latter did not make any attempts to fix the issue anyway. So that was how things ended up; they just stop talking.

However, deep down in Kyungsoo’s heart, no matter how many times he denies it, he wants things to be okay once again. But the hurt and humiliation he felt that fateful afternoon really did a number on him. He did not cry, even if he told his Minseok-hyung what happened (Kyungsoo was sure he saw steam coming out of his very angry friend that time.). For Kyungsoo, what happened was like a wakeup call from a dream he was not supposed to be having. He finally knew his place.

When the lunch bell rang, Kyungsoo heard Jongin stood up from his seat right away and went outside along with his other classmates. He was once again left alone inside the classroom, just the way he liked it. He pulled out his bento from his bag. He knew that Minseok will arrive soon, and sure enough Kyungsoo heard the knocking moments later.

“I’m here!” Minseok announced when he entered the classroom. “Kyungsoo, if you don’t mind, I brought some excess baggage with me.” He added why pointing his thumb at the guy behind him.

“What…” Kyungsoo turned his attention to the person entering the classroom. “Tao-hyung!”

“Yo, Kyungsoo!” Tao greeted. “And I’m not an excess baggage.” He patted Minseok’s head as the latter attempted to hit him.

Kyungsoo laughed. Tao have always hung out with the two of them since Minseok’s incident. Minseok has always complained Tao’s presence, but Kyungsoo knows that his friend was thankful for him. Kyungsoo was glad that Tao was always guarding Minseok. When Kyungsoo learned about the incident, he rushed to the hospital right away, and he never left until his friend insisted that he go home. Even Kyungsoo and his father insisted that Minseok stay with them, but he turned them down kindly and saying he will be fine. However, Tao was more stubborn and never left Minseok not until he was sure that the smaller boy was safe and sound in his apartment. He even joined the Home Economics club to make sure that Minseok was taken care of.

Kyungsoo could not help but to admire Tao for standing by Minseok’s side. They all know that the whole school was talking about the two, but Tao insisted that they it does not matter what they say. Kyungsoo thought about how different Jongin is to his older brother. He did not have any problem with hanging out with Tao even if he was Jongin’s older brother. Kyungsoo and Minseok had an unspoken agreement not to say anything about what happened back in the gymnasium to Tao.

“I’m hungry!” Tao said as he sat on one of the desks which was coincidentally Jongin’s. “Let’s eat!”

“Says you!” Minseok said as he dragged a desk. The three of them formed a circle. “You did not even bring any lunch!”

“Well, I don’t really eat lunch,” Tao answered. “Feed me.”

“Aish.” Minseok said. “You can’t eat our food! Kyungsoo, cover your bento!!”

Kyungsoo just smiled as he watched the two continued bickering in front of him. They looked like a married couple already. Kyungsoo thought.

“Where’s Jongin by the way?” Tao asked suddenly, Minseok nearly choked on his food and Kyungsoo stiffened.

Kyungsoo regained his composure right away. “Oh, he’s at the cafeteria.” He tried to be as neutral as possible.

“So you just eat here by yourself?” Tao asked as he snatched a rice ball from Minseok’s lunch box.

“Sometimes,” Kyungsoo nodded. “Minseok-hyung joins me most of the time when he’s not busy.”

“I’m a good hyung, aren’t I?” Minseok said proudly, and Tao pretended to throw up. The latter received a pinch on the ear.

“But then why doesn’t Jongin eat with you?” Tao asked all of a sudden.

Just then, the door opened, and the three of them looked at a stunned Jongin standing in the doorway.

“Oh,” Jongin panicked and went out immediately.

“Jongin!” Tao called out, but it was too late.

“What was that all about?” Tao asked the other two who were avoiding looking at him.

Minseok tried to deny it. “We don’t know.”

However, Tao was not convinced and he turned to look at Kyungsoo.

“Did something happen?” Tao asked with a tone of concern.

“Nothing,” Kyungsoo answered.

Tao was still skeptical and he did not let the other the matter go until the other two caved in. When Kyungsoo finished telling the story (while Minseok commented every now and then), Tao’s expression was unreadable.

“I… I’m sorry, Tao-hyung!” Kyungsoo apologized. “I shouldn’t have said anything… He’s your brother and…”

But Tao held up a hand to stop Kyungsoo from talking. “That idiot. He could be really stupid sometimes. I’m really sorry, Kyungsoo in behalf of Jongin. I know it’s not enough, but I’m really sorry.”

Kyungsoo shook his head. “No, hyung. Don’t apologize. I’m fine. I’m okay. I swear.”

“No you’re not okay.” Tao said.

And Kyungsoo knows what he said was true. He was not okay.

 


 

Sehun groaned as he parked his car. As much as he wanted to avoid this lunch, Baekhyun insisted that he should go since it had been months since he last met his father. Sehun already have an idea what this will be about. It was because of the marriage meeting he ditched last time, but he did not care. This was not the first time he turned down somebody, but the way he did it was different. He knows that his father would not be amused of what he had done. On the other hand, Sehun did not care. His father will always make a big deal out of this, then move on. It was just a routine for the two of them that they need to do every now and then.

When Sehun entered the restaurant, he saw his father sitting at their usual seat. He was reading a newspaper that covered most of his face, but Sehun knows it was him. He could recognize him wherever. Sehun slowly walked and took his time to reach the table. When he reached the table and took a seat, his father finished reading an article before acknowledging the presence of his only son.

“You look good.” His father said as he examined Sehun.

“It’s good to see you again, father.” Sehun said. “You don’t look so bad yourself.”

“So what is happening with your life?” His father inquired. As if you never had me investigated already. Sehun thought.

“I’m okay.” Sehun replied. “I might shoot another movie soon.”

“Really?” His father nodded in approval. “That’s good.”

“So, how about you?” Sehun asked following his father’s pattern. “What’s up with you?”

“Not much.” His father replied.

Any moment now… Sehun thought.

“So I heard you refused the last marriage meeting I set up for you.” His father said.

And there we go… Sehun was trying his best not to roll his eyes.

“Yes I did.” Sehun replied curtly.

“What is it this time?” His father asked exasperatedly.

“She’s too Miss Goody Two Shoes for my taste.” Sehun answered. “And she’s too much of an airhead.”

“Watch your manners, Sehun.” His father warned.

“Well it’s true.” Sehun mumbled. “I just don’t think she’s the right fit for me father.”

“When,” His father said impatiently. “When are you going to find that ‘perfect’ fit for you?”

Sehun shrugged his shoulders. “I don’t know yet.”

His father hit the table with his fist, but it was not loud enough to cause a commotion in the restaurant. “When are you going to start being serious with your life?”

“Why are you getting so worked up?” Sehun frowned. “Geez…”

“You have got to take responsibilities soon.” His father hissed at him. “I want you to be ready to take over the company.”

“Maybe I don’t want your company.” Sehun pushed his father’s buttons further.

His father looked like he was using all of his willpower to control his anger. “So what do you want, huh? What?”

“Luhan.” Sehun stood up and walked out of the restaurant. He left his father in a state of confusion.

When Sehun reached his car, he was so pissed off that he kicked the front wheel. He did not even know why he said all those things back in the restaurant, but his father set him off the edge. He leaned back to the vehicle as he reached for his phone in his pocket. He needs someone to talk to. He searched the names on his phone. Sehun scrolled into Baekhyun’s name, and paused for a moment. However, he went pass it, and dialed another number. He was most glad when someone picked up from the other line.

“Hello? Sehunnie?”

“Luhan…” Sehun smiled to himself as he said his name.

 


 

Kris looked over the desk clock. He realized that it was past lunch time, and he probably did not notice it because he had been buried in paper works since he arrived in his office that morning. Deciding that he needed a break, he then got his keys to go downstairs. He was getting hungry anyway. After checking his schedule from his secretary, and making sure he does not have any appointments that afternoon, he went to the elevator. The ride was uneventful. He ran into some of his employees, who greeted him like they were afraid of him or something. Well, Kris knew that he intimidated people, but it sure was nice if they would not be so obvious about it.

When the elevator doors finally opened on the ground floor, Kris immediately stepped outside. He was walking towards the entrance when someone bumped to him all of a sudden. Kris had managed to hold on to the person. He was sure that he heard a collective gasp from the people around him. Who dared touch the President? That was in everyone’s thoughts at that very instant. They know that that person was dead meat anyway. Nobody had the guts to cross the President.

“I’m sorry!” The person in Kris’ grip gasped as he looked up. Realization flooded on his face when he realized who he was holding on to. “Oh my god! President! I’m so sorry! I wasn’t looking!”

“Joonmyun, right?” Kris asked as Joonmyun let go from him. “Baekhyun’s assistant.”

“Yes, sir.” Joonmyun answered embarrassedly. “I’m really sorry, sir. I was trying to get out of the building, but I got lost. I guess I got too excited when I saw the exit. It’s like a maze here, sir.”

“Where are you going anyway?” Kris inquired. “You seem to be in a hurry.”

“Oh,” Joonmyun replied. “I was supposed to go to lunch since Baekhyun-ah told me to return later.”

“Why don’t you join me?” Kris offered. “I was going to eat lunch as well.”

Joonmyun looked uncertain. “Oh no, sir, thank you, but I don’t want to impose too much.”

Kris raised his eyebrows. “”Who said you were imposing? Here, come with me.”

 

Thirty minutes later, the two of them stood up in front of an expensive looking restaurant. Kris looked over at Joonmyun, who looked uncomfortable with the situation they were in. It took a lot of convincing from Kris just to get him inside the car. Kris wondered how he could get Joonmyun inside the restaurant as well.

 “Uhh, President?” Joonmyun hesitated. “C… Can I be honest with you?”

“What is it?” Kris asked.

“I’m not really at ease with eating here.” Joonmyun revealed. “I think I’ll just eat somewhere else.”

“Well, where are we going to eat then?”

Joonmyun tilted his head in confusion when he heard the word ‘we’.

“Ah no.” Joonmyun waved both his hands. “You don’t need to come with me, President.”

“But I hate eating alone.” That was a lie. Kris actually preferred eating by himself, and he has no idea why he was curious about the guy beside him.

“But you might not like the place, President.” Joonmyun said worriedly.

“Try me.” Kris insisted.

 

Another half an hour later, the two of them stood in a crowded street downtown. It was full of people. Kris noticed that Joonmyun looked at him uncertainly. Kris had to admit it, but he did not expect they would end up in this alley. Everything was noisy and everyone kept on moving. There were a lot of street vendors, and people kept on bumping into them. One man almost knocked onto Kris when he was pushing his store cart. Kris was surprised when he felt Joonmyun panicked and held onto his arms tightly.

“I’m sorry President!” Joonmyun gasped. “I don’t think this is a good idea after all.”

“It’s okay.” Kris answered. “Now bring me to this restaurant you were talking about.”

The two of them proceeded walking with Joonmyun keeping an unbelievably strong grasp on Kris. When they went inside, almost everyone in the restaurant greeted Joonmyun.

“I’m so sorry it was this crowded, President.” Joonmyun said. “But I promise the food here is great, especially the Tonkatsu! Wait here, I’ll order.”

Kris observed the restaurant as he waited for Joonmyun with their food. He watched the smaller boy as he walked back to their table with a tray on his hands. Joonmyun seemed to smile to everyone. Maybe that’s why everybody liked him. Kris thought.

“There you go.” Joonmyun said as he handed Kris his plate. “I hope you like it.” He added hopefully.

Kris tried it, and he was surprised at how he found the food to be this delicious. “It’s good.” He said smiling.

“It is, isn’t it?!” Joonmyun returned with a bright smile. He seemed to be waiting for Kris’ answer before he started eating.

After the two of them finished eating, Joonmyun brought Kris to the other street vendors to eat some more. Kris was surprised at how much he was enjoying his time, that he almost forgot that they had to return to the office.

“I’m sorry, President.” Joonmyun said when they were back in the car heading back to the office. “I wasted your time.”

“You apologize too much, Joonmyun.” Kris said, never taking his eyes off the road. “Besides, I had a great time. Let’s do that again.”

Joonmyun nodded enthusiastically with his bright smile once again.

For a fraction of a second, Kris stole a glance to the guy beside him, as he smiled to himself.

 


 

 

Jongin felt miserable as he exited the gym after their afternoon basketball practice. Ever since that afternoon that he humiliated Kyungsoo, he had not talked to the other boy. At that time after he got rid of his other team mates, he did rush back to the gymnasium to apologize to Kyungsoo, but he was not there anymore. He was too ashamed of himself that he did not have any courage to go to Kyungsoo’s house. He was not able to sleep that night. He decided to just ask for forgiveness the next day. However, when he arrived at their classroom, he got tongue tied and did not say anything. When he saw Kyungsoo, he felt the guilt to the pits of his stomach. He felt bad even more that he was not saying anything. And to make things worse, Kyungsoo was not saying anything either; he just pretended that Jongin does not exist anymore. It would have been a lot better if Kyungsoo had shouted at him instead.

Jongin knew that the longer it took for him to apologize, the more irrelevant the issue would be. That was why that morning; he came to a decision to fix things up with Kyungsoo no matter what. He made a simple plan in his head as he headed to school. He would corner Kyungsoo during lunch time, where the two of them would be alone inside the classroom. But Jongin did not expect that when he opened the door, Kyungsoo would have company. To make things worse, one of them was his Tao-hyung. He panicked and left immediately. He did not want for his brother to find out that he screwed things up. Jongin felt a bit jealous that his brother could spend time with Kyungsoo rather than him. But it’s your own fault, idiot. He thought dejectedly. After that, he hatched up another plan to apologize to Kyungsoo after the club activities Jongin just hoped for the best.

Jongin waited patiently outside the school building. He looked at his watch. He was pretty sure that Kyungsoo’s club activity would finish at this time. And soon enough, people started to emerge from the building. It was not far too long when Jongin saw a familiar figure walking alone. Jongin willed to the gods to give him strength to do this without having his tongue tied once again. He cannot fail once again, so when Kyungsoo got nearer to his position, Jongin immediately stood up to meet him midway. Jongin felt bad that Kyungsoo remained expressionless even though he was sure that he already saw the taller boy walking towards him. When they were just a few feet apart, Jongin was about to open his mouth when…

“Jongin-oppa!”

Another confession? Why of all times now?! Jongin wanted to jump around in frustration as a flock of girls surrounded him. They were giving him the usual gifts and all. Jongin tried to get away from them nicely, because he lost Kyungsoo. When he finally saw him, Kyungsoo was walking straight ahead, not having any care about what was happening.

When Jongin finally got rid of his fans, he ran as fast as he can to reach Kyungsoo. He saw his classmate walking beside the riverbank on his way home. Jongin rushed to catch up to him. He was sure that Kyungsoo was aware of the presence behind him, but he refused to acknowledge it.

“Kyungsoo,” Jongin called.

Kyungsoo did not even react.

“Kyungsoo,” Jongin repeated.

This time, Kyungsoo stopped walking and faced him. “What? Stop following me.”

Jongin was shocked, and he barely had any time to react. “I just… I just…”

“Just what?” Kyungsoo said impatiently. “You’re wasting my time.”

“I’m sorry for what happened last time.” Jongin hung his head.

“I don’t understand.” Kyungsoo furrowed his eyebrows. “Why are you apologizing?”

“What… I…” Jongin looked confused. “I’m saying sorry because I hurt you.”

“Oh,” Jongin saw a faint smile on Kyungsoo’s face. “You thought I was hurt? That’s funny.” And Kyungsoo walked away.

Jongin tried to grab hold of Kyungsoo’s arms, but the latter pulled away immediately as soon as he felt his touch.

“Kyungsoo,” Jongin pleaded. “Don’t be like this. I came back that afternoon, but you were not there anymore.”

“Are you supposed to be doing this?” Kyungsoo said as he continued walking away. “Aren’t you worried that someone might see you talking with someone like me?”

“Kyungsoo, please,” Jongin continued. “I feel as bad as you are feeling right now.”

Kyungsoo shot a glare at Jongin. “Can you hear yourself right now? It’s like you’re telling me that I should be grateful that you were doing this effort right now.”

“It wasn’t supposed to be like that.” Jongin said desperately as he stopped walking.

“Then what is it suppose to be?” Kyungsoo stopped walking as well.

“I wanted to try,” Jongin pleaded some more. “I wanted to try lots of times to fix this up. I tried, but I failed. It’s just… It’s just always wrong timing.”

Kyungsoo’s expression was neutral. He turned around to walk away once again, but before he continued, Jongin heard him speak up.

“Maybe that’s it. Everything is just in the wrong timing.”

 


 

“Yixing you’re finally here!” Baekhyun cheered when Yixing entered his office.

“Yes, I’m finally here.” Yixing smiled, because of Baekhyun’s jumpiness. “You sound so happy over the phone earlier.”

It was true. When Yixing received the telephone call from Baekhyun that morning, he was still at the gym. Baekhyun could not contain his excitement when he told Yixing that he has great news. He wanted to ask what it was all about, but his manager refused to tell him anything until he comes to the company later that afternoon. Although it seemed like Baekhyun could not contain not telling him the big news anymore. That was how Yixing ended up right where he was.

“So what is the great news you can’t wait to tell me earlier?” Yixing inquired.

“Uhm, wait. He’s coming soon.” Baekhyun checked his phone. “While we wait, how was your meeting with Jongdae-hyung earlier?”

“It went well, I guess.” Yixing answered.

“Just ‘well’?” Baekhyun asked. “I thought you’ll be thrilled.”

“I don’t know.” Yixing responded. “I guess everything feels like it’s not real. I think I needed time for things to sink in.”

“Oh,” Baekhyun nodded. “Yeah, I guess that’s that.”

“Yeah, I mean it is Jongdae-hyung.” Yixing smiled.

Just then, a knock was heard from the office there. Yixing was sure that if Baekhyun could, he would have flown to the door to answer it. But before anything else, Baekhyun looked at Yixing prior to opening the door.

“What is it, Baekhyun-ah?” Yixing asked curiously.

“Okay,” Baekhyun said excitedly. “Remember when all of you were telling me that I should get an assistant because I’m getting skinny, and all that? Well guess what?”

“What?”

“I got an assistant!” Baekhyun said happily.

“Oh,” Yixing was still not following Baekhyun. He just does not get why his manager was being too jolly about this. “Congratulations, I think?”

“Oh, and you’ll never guess who it is.” Baekhyun said as he opened the door. “Ta-daaaa!”

Yes, Yixing did not expect to find the person in front of him to be Baekhyun’s assistant. Of all people that Baekhyun would pick, it would have to be Joonmyun. Yixing did not even know how Baekhyun and Joonmyun end up knowing each other in the first place. His manager seemed to be oblivious of the fact that Yixing and Joonmyun were staring at each other with the look of shock on their faces. Yixing concluded that this was not how Joonmyun expected the revelation will be. The two of them were not saying anything. As for Yixing, he did not know what to say. Well, what do you say if you were caught off guard like that?

The memory of the night a few days ago replayed on Yixing’s mind. He had been drinking. He knows that. However, a lot of what happened that night was a blur. He knew he went to the park where he and Joonmyun would play before. Yixing thought he was dreaming when he saw Joonmyun in front of him, talking to him. He barely remembered that he said some things. What were they? He did not know. But that night, Yixing never felt alone as he looked at Joonmyun’s face before he closed his eyes. When he woke up the next day, he found his bedside to be empty. At that time, he was pretty convinced that all of that was just a dream. He felt a bit disappointed. However, he got really surprised when he found Joonmyun in his kitchen making coffee. He was somehow relieved that Joonmyun stayed; that he did not imagine everything. But like that time, he did not know what to say. And he just watched his friend walked away from him.

But now as they stared at each other, Yixing panicked. He immediately grabbed Baekhyun and went out the office, leaving Joonmyun alone. He dragged his manager to the washroom. When Yixing was sure they were alone, he turned to Baekhyun right away.

“What was that for?” He asked his manager.

“What are you talking about?” Baekhyun asked innocently.

“Joonmyun,” Yixing said. “Why of all people did you have to choose Joonmyun?”

“I’m helping him, okay?” Baekhyun had to defend himself. “I got him fired from his previous job.”

Yixing did a double take. “How did that even happen? How did you even know him?”

“It just happened,” Baekhyun answered, clearly confused of what was happening.

“I’m not sure about this.” Yixing said firmly.

“Why not? I thought you’ll be happy that I picked him.” Baekhyun said wide eyed. “Why are you making a huge deal about this?”

Yixing did not answer the question. “I’m not making it a big deal.”

“Then we don’t have a problem then.” Baekhyun said finally as he exited the washroom.

 


 

“Where are you going?” Tao asked Minseok after the smaller boy exited the restaurant he was working in.

Minseok sighed exasperatedly. “My job is done. I’m going home.”

“This is not the way home.” Tao asked with his eyebrows raised. “Where are we going now?”

I’m going to Kyungsoo’s place.” Minseok answered. “Problem?”

“No.” Tao answered. “I don’t mind walking some more.”

“Do you really have to follow me everywhere?” Minseok asked.

“You’re always asking me that.” Tao scratched his head in frustration. “And my answer will always be ‘yes’.”

Minseok rolled his eyes. “My co-workers are starting to think I’m going out with you or something.”

Tao snorted. “Is that a bad thing? What’s so wrong about that?”

Minseok sighed once more. “Tao, you need to trust me a little. I can take care of myself, okay?”

“I know,” Tao admitted. “And I trust you.”

“So why did you have to do this 24/7?” Minseok asked. “I mean, are you planning to do this forever?

“No,” Tao replied. “I’m just doing this until I’m sure.”

“Sure that I won’t get into trouble anymore?” Minseok assured.

“No,” Tao shook his head. “Till I’m sure of myself.”

“Sure of yourself what?” Minseok chuckled.

Tao stopped on his tracks and breathed in the cold night air. “Not until I’m sure that I won’t go crazy for not seeing you for even a second.”

“Y-yah!” Minseok stopped on his tracks as well, and looked at Tao with his eyes growing wider. Even though it was night time, Tao was sure that Minseok’s cheeks were in the dark red shade right now. He was using all his willpower to resist pinching them.

Minseok was starting to fan himself. “You can’t just tell people that! It might give them the wrong idea.”

Tao smiled. “You are so naïve sometimes, Minseok.”

He heard the smaller scoffed as he kept on walking with Tao on his trail. The two of them walked in silence after that. It was not awkward. It was just the kind of silence where neither one of the two of them needed to say something just to make things better. They were okay this way. When they reached their destination, a very astounded Kyungsoo was the one who opened the door. As it turned out, Minseok went there a couple of times a week to help with the bakery. Minseok would get free dinner after that courtesy of Kyungsoo’s dad (who was very delighted to find out that Tao was Jongin’s brother). Tao was surprised when he saw how many bread Minseok could eat. When he voiced this out, Kyungsoo’s dad laughed and told him that Jongin can eat more than that. (Kyungsoo had to cough awkwardly, while Minseok frowned because somebody broke his record.)

“Aish,” Tao said while he laughed along. “That kid is so embarrassing sometimes.”

“It’s okay,” Kyungsoo’s dad said kindly. “I like it when I make people happy with my bread. I hope he comes by soon.”

The three students did not look at each other, and they all opted not to say anything. Tao suddenly felt guilty. He felt sorry for Kyungsoo, since he knows that it was Jongin’s fault after all. When he and Minseok were heading home, Tao could not help but to be distracted.

“What’s wrong with you?” Minseok asked.

“Just thinking about Jongin and Kyungsoo.” Tao responded.

“Oh.” Minseok nodded.

“Things need to be fixed between those two.” Tao said.

“Kyungsoo told me that Jongin tried to apologize this afternoon.” Minseok said.

“Tried to?” Tao inquired. “What happened?”

“Kyungsoo refused him.” Minseok shook his head. “Those two are such idiots.”

“That’s why we need to help them.” Tao insisted.

“I know.” Minseok agreed. “Don't worry, I have a plan...”

 


 

“Well, so this is fun.” Chanyeol said sarcastically as he sat awkwardly with Joonmyun, Baekhyun and Yixing in the restaurant.

“Shut up, Chanyeol.” Baekhyun snapped at him.

They were supposed to celebrate Joonmyun’s new job, and Baekhyun did not want to admit it, but he might have pulled the most depressing party of the century. On the way to the place, Yixing and Joonmyun did not say any word to each other. Baekhyun tried to open a conversation, but he cannot find a common ground to make the two old friends talk. Baekhyun was relieved when Joonmyun asked if he could invite Chanyeol along with them. Baekhyun thought at that time that maybe Chanyeol could make the atmosphere lighter. He seemed noisy. How terribly wrong he was.

When Chanyeol arrived, he did not even make an effort to hide his surprise when he saw Yixing with them. He even made less effort to hide his glares at Yixing every now and then. Baekhyun guessed that if Joonmyun was not there, he would have beaten Yixing up. It sent shivers to Baekhyun’s spine. Meanwhile, Yixing was not even a great help either. First, he would not even say a word to Joonmyun (Though Baekhyun had to give it to him, he seemed like he was still in the state of shock. He did not know what to say.). Second, Yixing did not seem to be Chanyeol’s biggest fan either. Aside from the fact that he noticed Chanyeol’s glares at him, Yixing looked like he was ready to flip the table every time Joonmyun would have small talk with Chanyeol.

Baekhyun sighed because this was definitely not the reality he wanted. Joonmyun smiled to him encouragingly, as if telling him that everything was okay. Baekhyun knows he had to fix this up pronto. He wanted to at least end this thing in a decent tone. He made a lot of scenarios in his head, but he did not know if this was out of desperation or frustration or what, but he had no idea why he suddenly blurted out:

“Let’s go drinking.”

Three pairs of eyes immediately glued to him, and Baekhyun immediately felt awkward. “W-what…?”

“Well, I don’t know.” Chanyeol frowned. “Last time you drank, you nearly jumped off a building, you threw a bottle of champagne, and you threw up in front of me. Are you alcoholic or something?”

“I usually don’t drink that much!” Baekhyun hissed at him. “I just want to lighten things up.”

“I’m fine with it,” Joonmyun piped in. “As long as it’s not too much.”

“Well,” Chanyeol interjected. “If Joonmyun’s in, then I’m in too.”

“I’m going as well.” Yixing said immediately.

Baekhyun sighed in relief. Thank heavens for Joonmyun. “Well, what are we waiting for? Let’s go.”

 

Baekhyun was stunned how things turned 180 degrees when they arrived at the bar. He ordered four bottles of beer, and even before they finished one bottle, Joonmyun was already sleeping. Chanyeol explained that Joonmyun had very low tolerance with alcohol. Baekhyun was even more surprised that when Chanyeol reached for Joonmyun, Yixing immediately snatched the sleeping boy away from him so that Joonmyun would be sleeping with his head leaning on Yixing’s shoulders. Baekhyun also noticed that Chanyeol was way talkative (and nicer) when he drinks alcohol. Chanyeol even helped Baekhyun carry the bottles when the latter went for another round. When they went back to the table, they saw a half awake giggling Joonmyun and a very freaked out Yixing.

“What happened to Joonmyun?!” Baekhyun gasped as Joonmyun giggled again.

“I… I don’t know.” Yixing looked panicked.

“Did he drink again?” Chanyeol was suddenly sobering up.

“He finished his bottle.” Yixing answered. “That’s all.”

“Oh, don’t worry.” Chanyeol explained. “He’s just like that. Just don’t let him drink again.”

“Yixing-ah!” Joonmyun said cutely as he wrapped his arms on Yixing’s neck. “Sing a song for me. Please?”

God I hope no one will get a photo of this. Baekhyun prayed. Luckily Yixing knows how to disguise himself.

Yixing looked at the other two for help, but the other two just gestured him to go on. So left with no choice, Yixing started singing silently. A few minutes later, Joonmyun was back to sleep.

Baekhyun laughed nervously. “Joonmyun is scary when he’s drunk.”

“But not as scary as you.” Chanyeol said, earning an elbow from Baekhyun.

“I think we should get out of here.” Chanyeol added. “Let’s give these two some privacy.” He pointed at Yixing and Joonmyun.

“Where are we gonna go?”  Baekhyun asked.

“Just outside.” Chanyeol said quietly so that Baekhyun would be the only one to hear him. “I just want to tell you something.”

Baekhyun thought about it. “Okay.”

However, before they left the table, Chanyeol gasped like he remembered something and turned to Yixing.

“Joonmyun still comes back to that park every year. If you ask me, you were the coward not him.”

 

“What was that about?” Baekhyun asked Chanyeol when they got out of the bar. The two of them leaned back on the railings beside the street.

Chanyeol shrugged. “You know I always had the impression that you were too meddlesome. I’m surprised you didn’t know about what happened between Joonmyun and Yixing. Well, it kinda makes sense now why you offered the assistant job to Joonmyun.”

“What happened between…? What?” Baekhyun was confused.

“Nevermind.” Chanyeol said. “It’s not important now. Maybe you’ll know about it someday.”

Baekhyun frowned. “So what is it you’re gonna tell me?”

Chanyeol took a deep breath. “I just want to say thank you.”

Baekhyun’s eyes widened. He does not know if he heard correctly “What?”

“Don’t make me repeat myself.” Chanyeol said. “You know, for helping Joonmyun and all. I know he’s happy.”

“I…” Baekhyun said. “You’re welcome.”

“You know, Baekhyun,” Chanyeol was looking far away. “You’re not so bad after all.”

“Thanks.” Baekhyun smiled. “You’re not so bad yourself.”

Chanyeol snorted. “Maybe we could bicker less from now on.” He held out his hand.

“Agreed.” Baekhyun said as he shook Chanyeol’s hand.

 


 

Luhan rubbed his hands as he seated with his knees up to his chest outside Sehun’s apartment. He did not expect that it would be this cold this time of night or else we would have gone home and wore thicker clothes. He was just wearing a simple white t-shirt and jeans at this time of night, and the cold night breeze was not being a great help at all. If he was not this worried at Sehun, he would not have done this. But when he received Sehun’s phone call earlier that day, he knew something was wrong. Luhan wanted to surprise Sehun, but when he arrived at his boyfriend’s place (he had to extract this information from Jongdae), there was no answer. As if he was not having a string of bad luck yet, his phone ran out of batteries. So he opted to just wait for Sehun to come home. He would not be able to rest at home anyway.

Luhan wanted to mock himself. He did not know why he was getting worked up over this. When Jongdae made a hint that he might be starting to care about Sehun, he immediately shot him down. Luhan told his friend that it was just a matter of camaraderie, since he sees a lot of himself in Sehun. But sometimes, he wondered if what Jongdae said was true. Luhan shook the thought out of his head right away. That would be impossible.

Feeling tired and sleepy already after a whole day of work and travel, Luhan looked at his watch. It was just eleven o’clock in the evening. If this was any other day, the night would just be starting for Luhan. However, tonight is different. Luhan wondered if Sehun was in someone else’s apartment. The thought of Sehun sleeping with someone else made Luhan’s blood boil. Jealousy. Once this word came up in his mind, he would remember Jongdae’s words to him. What if he really liked Sehun? No. This was a game. They were just playing a game, and you do everything to win it.

The cold night breeze blew again. Luhan buried his face in his arms. He was starting to shiver because of the cold. For the first time in his life, he had never felt this helpless. I’m starting to get stupid. He thought as he drifted in and out of sleep. He was just waking up from one of his naps when he felt something wrapped around his shoulders giving him warmth. His first thought jumped to Sehun right away, but he never dared to look up. His face remained buried in his arms. He just assumed that maybe he was still dreaming. Luhan suddenly felt the cold wind once again and he shivered. He heard a familiar chuckle near his right ear, and he felt the arms wrapped even more tightly around him. Luhan immediately looked up. The first thing he saw was Sehun’s shoulders. When Sehun finally noticed that Luhan already looked up, he pulled away. He adjusted Luhan so that it would be easier to embrace him.

“What are you doing here outside?” Sehun asked whispering into Luhan’s ears. “It’s cold out here. You’ll get sick.”

“Why are you not home, Sehun?” Luhan asked in response. He held onto Sehun tightly. “Did you not know it’s late?”

“I was stuck in a meeting.” Sehun answered. “Why didn’t you call me? If you did, I would have gotten home sooner.”

“My phone died.” Luhan answered. “Have you eaten yet?”

“Yes.” Sehun answered and he pulled back to look at Luhan. “How about you?”

Luhan nodded and smiled. “Welcome home, Sehunnie.”

Sehun stared at him for a second. Luhan just looked back at him in return. He was wondering why Sehun was looking at him that way. He was taken back when Sehun put both his hands on Luhan’s cheeks to warm them up. Luhan closed his eyes as he took in the warmth of Sehun’s palms. He felt Sehun face closing in on his as the taller guy gave him a quick peck on the lips.

When Sehun pulled back, he said. “Let’s go in, Luhannie.”

Luhan opened his eyes and saw that Sehun was already standing up. The latter held out his hands to help Luhan stand up. He immediately took Sehun’s hands onto his. When they entered Sehun’s apartment, Luhan just stood up and took in his surroundings while Sehun went to drop his things in his bedroom. The apartment was really reflective of Sehun’s personality. It was elegant and cute at the same time. That was Luhan’s first impression of it. There were some movie posters on the wall. Luhan looked at each and every one of them. He noticed a picture on the table. Come to think of it, this was the only photo he saw in there. He immediately looked at it. There were five people in it. Luhan chuckled when he saw a younger version of Sehun. It must be from his high school days. He did not change that much.

“I’m always handsome, aren’t I?” Luhan felt arms wrapped around his waist from the back. Sehun rested his chin on Luhan’s shoulder. He slowly swayed the two of them.

“You’re so cute in here, Sehunnie.” Luhan snorted. “Is this Baekhyun-ah? He looked smaller in here.”

Sehun laughed softly. “Baekhyun’s always been small. His hair looked like a mushroom here.”

“This must be Jongdae’s and the President’s graduation.” Luhan commented.

Luhan felt Sehun nodded his head on his shoulder. “I didn’t know you knew Jongdae-hyung.”

“You don’t know a lot of things about me, Sehunnie.” Luhan smiled. “Who is this guy over here? The one beside Baekhyun-ah?”

“Oh, that’s his boyfriend.” Sehun answered plainly.

Luhan stared at the guy. He did not seem familiar. “Really? I didn’t know Baekhyun-ah has a boyfriend.”

Sehun stopped swaying the both of them. “Oh, he doesn’t have any more. That guy already died.”

Luhan nearly dropped the photo. He put it back into its original place and looked back at Sehun.

“I’m sorry.” Luhan apologized.

Sehun took both of Luhan’s hands and intertwined it with his. “That’s okay, Luhannie. It’s already been five years.”

“But…” Luhan was silenced with Sehun’s lips. “Don’t mind that too much. Let’s go to sleep.”

Sehun led Luhan to his bedroom. When they reached it, Luhan lied down beside Sehun. He took the taller guys right hand and traced random shaped on his palms. Sehun eyed their hands as Luhan played with them.

“Sehunnie?” Luhan asked as Sehun hummed in response. “Are you okay now?”

“Is that why you were waiting outside earlier?” Sehun smiled. “To check up on me?”

Luhan nodded. “I was worried about you the whole day.”

Sehun let go from Luhan’s hands and faced the guy beside him. “I was okay then when I heard your voice.”

“That’s good.”Luhan faced Sehun as well. “How many people have your brought in this room, Sehunnie?

“Do you really want to know?” Sehun asked teasingly.

“Just answer the question.” Luhan said.

Sehun sighed. “If you really must know, before you, none.”

“Don’t lie to me.” Luhan sulked.

“I’m serious.” Sehun sounded hurt. “I prefer to do it in other people’s bedrooms.”

Luhan chuckled. “Why? That’s a surprise.”

Sehun smiled. “I guess I prefer being the one doing the leaving rather the one being left.”

Luhan stopped for a moment. “Oh, that makes sense.”

“I was glad you were the first person I brought back to my place, Luhannie.” Sehun whispered.

Sehun pulled Luhan closer to him so that the smaller boy was snuggling on his chest. Luhan breathed Sehun’s scent; He started playing with Sehun’s hands once again.

“You have beautiful hands, Luhannie.” Sehun suddenly said.

Luhan pouted. “Just my hands?”

Sehun snorted. “No, everything about you is beautiful.”

“Good.” Luhan said.

“Let’s go somewhere this weekend, Luhannie.” Sehun suggested as he Luhan's hair.

Luhan looked up at Sehun. “Where?”

“I don’t know yet.” Sehun shrugged. “Somewhere far away I guess?”

“Why?” Luhan asked.

“I want to get to know you more, Luhannie.”

Luhan suddenly sat up on the bed. Sehun sat up right away as well. The moment they made eye contact, Luhan immediately pulled Sehun close to him and kissed him passionately. Sehun had to use his hands to support himself so that he won’t fall back down as he responded to Luhan. They both pulled away after a few seconds to have some space to breathe. Sehun held Luhan’s cheeks with his hands. He leaned his forehead against Luhan’s.

“I’m really glad when I saw you waiting outside earlier, Luhan.” Sehun whispered.

“I’m happy too that you came for me, Sehun.” Luhan whispered back to him.

“Thank you, Luhan.” Sehun gave him another kiss. "For everything."

When Sehun pulled away, Luhan told him, “And yes, I want to go somewhere far away with you, Sehun.” 

 


 Done!!!

So many developments in this Chappie.

To all you KrisChen shippers, I love you, you awesome people. I promise that they'll have a moment next chapter. I just needed to do this to establish the back story of Chenchen, because I really love the development of his character in the future. You'll see.  (and also I'm starting to mess up the love square according to the plan.)

Baekyeol, I'm glad that they finally have moments. They still have a long way to go. Slowly, but surely.

Then SuLay, I love drunk Joonmyun. I can't even imagine a drunk Joonmyun. What an angel. I like jealous Yixing too., because he doesn't give away that much emotion

The four high school kids, I like writing about them. I apologize for making Jongin suffer a little in this chapter, but I needed TaoMin to intervene.  :)) (and he made Umma sad, so... JK, I love KaiSoo.) 

And lastly HunHan, all I can say is... ENJOY IT WHILE IT LASTS. *evil laugh*

 

>>I plan to make the next chapter to be fluffy and light, so I hope I can do that immediately... Because Chapter Seven is gonna be the start of more dramas.<<

 

LASTLY, I'M REALLY HAPPY TO READ YOUR COMMENTS. I really appreciate them! I know I'm really slow in updating, and I promise to do my best for you guys.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

 

And as usual, thanks for reading! Jaa nee~ ^^