Chapter Ten

Because You're By My Side

Making this intro short. Chapter. Ten. GO.

 


 

The sound of footsteps was the one that Joonmyun heard first. A great sense of relief washed over his whole being. Why is it? He had absolutely no idea. It had been a long time since he felt this rested. It had been a long time since he had laid on a bed this soft. Wait. He heard the sound of the door closing. Something was definitely wrong here. He finally had the sense to open his eyes, and found himself staring at a familiar ceiling. It was familiar alright, but the sound of alarm in his mind went off right away. This is definitely not his room.

How did he get here?

Joonmyun quickly sat up. He was surprised when a cloth fell down on his lap. It was nearly dry when he picked it up. A sudden wave of realization came to him. He touched his forehead where the cloth in his hand was previously resting on.

“You’re awake.”

Joonmyun turned to the direction of the voice, and found Yixing standing on the doorway with a bowl of water on his hands.

“I was just filling this up.” He raised the bowl of water to make his point. “How are you feeling?”

Joonmyun, however, did not answer and continued staring at Yixing.

“What’s wrong?” Yixing asked worriedly as he settled down the bowl on the bedside table. “Are you still feeling sick?”

Yixing sat on the bedside as he put his hand on Joonmyun’s forehead, and his other hand on his to compare their temperatures.

“I- I’m fine, Yixing.” Joonmyun muttered quietly.

“Really?” Yixing furrowed his eyebrows.

“Yes.”

“I still think you need to drink medicine though.” Yixing got a tablet from the bedside table. “Your fever didn’t go down till early this morning.”

Joonmyun took the tablet and drank it. Yixing already has a glass of water in his hand and handed it to Joonmyun. That was the only time that Joonmyun looked at Yixing properly, like really looked at him. He finally saw the other’s very tired eyes.

“You haven’t slept yet.”

It was more of a statement than a question. And by the way that Yixing froze on his position, Joonmyun knew he was right.

“Yixing-ah,” Joonmyun felt guilty. “You have a schedule today. You should’ve rested.”

Yixing shook his head. “How could I when I was really worried about you?”

Joonmyun’s eyes widened, yet he did not let himself think of that statement too much.

“I’m sorry, Yixing.” Joonmyun said. “I’m always causing you trouble. You’re always taking care of me. I’m really sorry for being such a burden to you.”

Joonmyun made a motion to get out of bed. “I swear this will be the last time. I’ll go home right away.”

He was about to make a beeline to the door when Yixing pulled his wrist.

“Damn it, Joonmyun.” Yixing said with his voice full of frustration. “Stop apologizing every freaking time!”

“I… I…” Joonmyun stammered as he looked at Yixing in surprise.

“You were really sick yesterday!” Yixing said as if he was trying so hard to not shout at Joonmyun. “And you’re going to go home in that state?! Didn’t you hear what I just said? I was worried about you! You should’ve gone home when I told you that you looked pale! Why do you do this to yourself? Are you afraid of being a burden to me? Didn’t you think that maybe, just maybe I don’t mind the trouble? That I like taking care of you?!”

Yixing stopped talking and looked away, but Joonmyun continued to stare at him. Hardly daring to believe anything what he just heard.

After a few minutes of silence, Yixing spoke up. “I’m sorry for losing my temper.”

“Thank you, Yixing-ah.” Joonmyun said. “I should’ve said thank you.”

Yixing groaned in frustration, and he pulled the other closer to him, loosening his grip a little.

“You really don’t get it.” Yixing said as he let out a choked up sob. He continued to look away from Joonmyun. “I was really scared last night, especially when I saw you collapse. I thought something bad happened to you. I don’t… I don’t think I can take it if… if you leave me again.”

Joonmyun felt a knot in his stomach as he realized that Yixing was shaking.

“Yixing-ah,” Joonmyun said. “I’m sorry. I’m really; really sorry for making you worry.”

Yixing pulled away with tear-stained eyes and chuckled a little. “I thought I told you to stop apologizing?”

It was Joonmyun’s turn to laugh. “You’re right, you did say that.”

“Stay here.” Yixing asked. “Don’t go home yet.”

Joonmyun looked up at him in surprise. “What? Why?”

Yixing shrugged. “Just rest here.”

“But,” Joonmyun inquired. “I’m supposed to go to work with you. Remember, Baekhyun-ah will be late today.”

“It’s okay.” Yixing answered. “Baekhyun knows you’re here. Besides, you might get sick again if you go out.”

“I’ll be okay,” Joonmyun insisted. “I can’t leave you alone, Xing.”

Yixing examined Joonmyun closely, but after a few moments, he gave up. “Fine, but you promise to stick with me the whole day, okay?”

Joonmyun nodded with a smile. “Yes, I promise.”

 


 

The first thing that came to Sehun’s mind when he felt the first signs of consciousness was he must have been dreaming. He could not help but smile when he felt something softly pressing on his lips. He had an idea what it is (or who for that matter), yet he did not dare move. If this was a dream, he wanted to savor the happiness he was feeling a little bit longer. It had been a long time since he felt this happy. He was not that sure if he had been this happy ever. Everything that led up to this moment had been too good to be true, and he wanted to hold on to it and never let go.

When he felt the same pair of lips touching his nose, Sehun finally decided to open his eyes. Everything started out blurry, but when his eyes finally came into focus, he saw the image of Luhan looking at him with a sweet smile on his face. For a second, Sehun felt like he needed some moment to just take everything in. He felt like he was staring into perfection, and seeing Luhan in front of him just took his breath away. When he finally got back his composure, he could not help but smile widely as well.

“Good morning,” Luhan whispered to him.

“Good morning,” Sehun whispered back.

“Did I wake you?” Luhan asked.

Sehun shook his head, and he proceeded to trace his fingers on Luhan’s face.

“What are you doing?” Luhan asked amused.

“Nothing,” Sehun answered absentmindedly. “I just want to make sure that everything is real.”

“Sehun…” Luhan sighed as he leaned on to the other’s touch.

“Yeah?” Sehun continued to Luhan’s cheek.

It was Luhan’s turn to shake his head. “I just… I’m the one who could not believe this.”

Sehun paused and leaned over to kiss Luhan, when all of a sudden he felt some teardrops coming from the latter.

“Hey,” Sehun asked worriedly. “Why are you crying?”

Luhan let out a sound that was in between a sob and a laugh. “After everything you found out from me, from my past… Everything.  Sehun. I can’t believe you could still accept someone like me.”

Sehun could not keep it any longer, and he heard Luhan gasp in surprise when he wrapped his arms around the other and pulled him. Luhan ended up on top settling himself on top of Sehun.

“What was that for?” Luhan shifted on his position slightly. He tried to sound as if he was complaining, but Sehun could hear a hint of laughter from his voice. “Here I was pouring my heart out, and then you…”

But he was cut off when Sehun gave him a quick peck on the lips.

“Wait… What?” Luhan looked at him in daze. “Sehun!”

“I love you.” Sehun smiled at his declaration as he proceeded to wipe the tears from Luhan’s cheeks.

Sehun’s arms are still wrapped around Luhan’s waist, but he soon began his back while his other hand ran through Luhan’s hair. He chuckled slightly when he saw Luhan pouting.

“What?” Sehun asked in amusement. “Why are you going all pouty-face at me?”

“You’re just too cute, Sehun.” Luhan mumbled. “It seems unfair.”

“You love me when I’m cute.” Sehun raised his eyebrows.

“No…” Luhan said as he nuzzled into Sehun’s neck and sighed contentedly.

“No?” Sehun asked.

“I love everything about you, Sehun.” Luhan said and he pulled away to gaze at the other’s eyes intently. “A… Are you really sure about….Us? I mean, you could back out if you want. I won’t really mind.”

Sehun stopped Luhan’s back and held up his cheeks. “You’re really stubborn aren’t you? I love you, okay? I love you, Luhan. Do you want me to tell you the whole day that I love you? Because honestly I could really do that. I love you.”

Luhan blushed and shied away slightly from Sehun’s touch. “Yah… Stop being cheesy.”

“You’re blushing!” Sehun laughed. “This is too adorable!”

“Oh, shut it!” Luhan hit Sehun’s forearms jokingly.

It took a long time for Sehun to stop doting on Luhan. The two fell into a comfortable silence.

“Sehun?”

“Yeah?”

Luhan looked hesitant. “Did you really remember the time when we really first met?”

Sehun paused and furrowed his eyebrows. “Yeah, but honestly not at first. If Jongdae-hyung did not tell me that we met at a club before, I wouldn’t even remember. We should really send him a gift basket or something.”

“But how did you know it was that particular time?” Luhan asked.

“Well, like I told you,” Sehun began. “You poured your drink on my date. It’s not every night you see something like that. That’s why I followed you outside.”

“You knew from that?”

“Not exactly…” Sehun trailed off before he continued. “Then you rode that taxi, and I thought to myself, what the hell. And I went in too.”

“So you really do remember.” Luhan smiled.

“Yeah,” Sehun smiled as well. “Hmm, it’s more like I remembered the feeling.”

“What do you mean?” Luhan asked.

“Well, I don’t really have somewhere to go to that time.” Sehun answered. “I really did go home after that, and you know what happened after I went home?”

“What?”

Sehun chuckled. “I just laid there on my bed all night, and I was really pissed off.”

Luhan raised an eyebrow. “Why?”

“Well, for one I didn’t get any action from any one.” Sehun said with a slight amusement on his voice. “And two, it was because of you.”

“Because of me?” Luhan asked bewildered. “We just met that time!”

“Yeah,” Sehun answered. “I was really annoyed at you, because nothing happened between us. Honestly, I spent the next few days just lying in my bed and thinking why I not made any move. I was literally awake for a week. ”

“Oh.”

“So now you understand why I remember you?” Sehun asked.

“Yeah…” Luhan said. “But, do you still regret it?”

“Of course not,” Sehun answered earnestly. “I was an and totally immature at that time. If something happened to us, I would’ve forgotten about you the moment I walked out of your bedroom.”

Luhan kissed Sehun. “I’m glad nothing happened back then.”

“Yeah,” Sehun said. “I’m glad something’s happening to us now though.”

Sehun pressed his lips against Luhan’s and everything as always was soft and sweet. His heart was racing once again, and he felt happy that Luhan had this effect on him. He reached up to Luhan’s back once more, and he moved his hands further down.

“Hey!” Luhan looked at him warningly. “So early in the morning, and you want to do it again already?”

“What?” Sehun said with a teasing grin. “I don’t know what you’re saying.”

“You’re such a ert.” Luhan chuckles as he moved to sit up on the bed.

“Hey,” Sehun propped himself up with his elbows. “What are you doing? I thought we’re gonna stay in the whole day, and you know… Try different positions.”

“Oh Sehun, you and your dirty mind!” Luhan exclaimed in shock as he stood up. “I’m gonna take a shower.”

“Can we shower together though?” Sehun asked with expectant eyes.

Luhan smiles teasingly. “Sure, if you can catch me!”

Luhan laughed as he ran away with a smiling Sehun in his tow.

It didn’t take long before Sehun managed to wrap his arms securely around Luhan. “Got you.”

 


 

“Are you sure you brought everything?” Baekhyun said as Jongin zipped up his bag.

“Yes, hyung.” Jongin rolled his eyes. “You were the one who packed up my bag yesterday.”

“I’m just saying…” Baekhyun defended. “Maybe there’s something I forgot to put…”

“Hyung, stop worrying so much,” Jongin said as he slung his bag on his shoulders. “I’m going now.”

Baekhyun crossed his arms. “Your game starts at eight, right?”

“Yes, hyung.” Jongin said, “I told you, you don’t have to watch every game.”

Baekhyun scoffed. “Shut up, now go and win your first game!”

“Will do, hyung!” Jongin said as he walked to the door.

“Oh, before I forget…” Baekhyun called after him.

“What?”

“I’m gonna reserve a seat for your friend Kyungsoo!” Baekhyun said.

Jongin stopped at his tracks and run back to his brother. “Hyung! You can’t!”

Baekhyun raised an eyebrow. “Why not?”

“You always seat in front!” Jongin whined. “And you cheer so loud, it’s gonna be embarrassing!”

“Oh, stop being a brat and just win.” Baekhyun rolled his eyes.

“Fine…” Jongin pouted as he started to leave once again as he pushed his brother back to the door.

Jongin sighed as he rode the elevator down. If he was not nervous that morning, he definitely is now. He was not a person who usually gets jittery before a game, but right now, it was a different story. He was a person who usually gets in the zone whenever he steps into the court, yet he could not explain why his palms are all sweaty right now. Playing basketball was one of the things that helped him get over his depression. He loves it. He loves being good at it. It makes him forget of the lost person inside of him. He tried to shake these thoughts as he trudged his way to the school.

When Jongin entered the locker room, there had been an almost abrupt silence. Of course, there will be, especially after the things that happened the day before. Basketball practice yesterday was… awkward. Well, Jongin expected that it should be since he just went against a senior, who is coincidentally the girlfriend of their captain (as if it could get any more clichéd), and the fact that it was witnessed by literally the whole school did not help in the situation. On the other hand, everyone on the team knew they could not afford to lose Jongin, particularly since the start of the basketball season is at hand. That was why everybody was just shutting their mouth. Despite all that, Jongin feels more than fine. In fact, he felt a lot lighter even though his teammates don’t seem to be acknowledging him.

However, after the coach called for a last minute pre-game reminders, Jongin was approached by their captain.

“Hey, Jongin,” His voice was so commanding, Jongin could not help but cringe a little.

“Yes, Captain.” Bracing himself for what was coming.

“About yesterday…” He started. “I’d like to apologize for what happened.”

Jongin furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. “Wha…?”

Their captain tapped his shoulders, “Hey, I’m not really good at this okay. Just, I know my girlfriend did something wrong, and I know when it’s time to apologize, so in her behalf, I’m sorry.”

Jongin stood unmoving for a few moments before he started to talk. “She should apologize to Kyungsoo, not to me.”

He was about to turn around when their captain put a hand on his shoulder. “I understand.”

“And don’t worry,” Jongin said dryly. “I won’t do anything to flunk this game if that’s what you’re worried about. I’m gonna make sure we win every game we will be playing.” And he walked away.

 

Half an hour later while they were on their way to the venue of the game, Jongin was sitting alone at the back of the bus when he received a text message.

“Yah, if you don’t win today, I won’t bring you bread on Monday!!!”

Jongin could not help but to smile to himself as he typed in his reply.

 


 

Minseok took a deep breath before he turned the knob. It was a Saturday and he will be on his way to school for the cultural festival preparations. However, unlike his usual routine, Minseok woke up earlier than expected. Well, not really, he barely had any sleep. He tossed and turned in his bed that night thinking about the events from the previous day. A couple of times during the night, he considered calling Tao, but thought otherwise since he did not know what to say to him. The thought of facing him sent butterfly to his stomach. He did not even eat his breakfast well, which is saying something.

However, when Minseok opened his front door, he did not find the tall boy waiting for him outside. At some point, Minseok knew it was unlikely that Tao would be here since he found out the other day from Kyungsoo that it was Jongin’s first game today.

But still…

He kind of hoped…

Minseok sighed miserably as he hit his head lightly. “Stupid. Of course he would be there to support his brother.”

He never expected that he would be this disappointed as he dragged his heels to school. He walked in a daze as he remembered the events of the previous day. From the moment Tao confessed to him, until their kiss. It made his heart drop whenever he thought about it, yet there was an uncertain feeling deep in his heart. He just cannot seem to put a finger on it.

Honestly, he would be lying to himself if he said that he does not have feelings for Tao. Of course, he has, and not just simple feelings too. However, Tao did not seem to be ready to hear Minseok’s answer yet, he was sure of that matter. In the first place, what would happen in the instance that Minseok tells him his feelings as well, are they going to start going out, or are they going to stay the same? He was not sure of anything yet.

And then, there was the promise that Tao made him do. It worries Minseok so much that it was almost driving him crazy. He felt afraid, because he felt that Tao was afraid of something too. Minseok was afraid that something was going to happen, yet he has no idea what to do.

For the nth time already, he sighed as he opened the classroom door. He was glad he would be able to do something to distract himself.

“Good morning, Minseok-ah.” One of his female classmates greeted him as he stepped inside.

Minseok greeted her back. He made a quick scan of the classroom. Most of his classmates seem to be there already.

“You’re already starting to work?” Minseok asked her as he headed to help one of his classmates. He was pretty shocked of his classmates’ initiative today.

“Oh,” His classmate said. Minseok noticed that she was blushing slightly. “Tao arrived early and he told us to get started.” She pointed her thumb to one of the classroom’s corner.

Minseok looked in surprise as he followed her gaze, and there he was. Tao was painting one of the props by himself. Minseok excused himself from his classmate and made a beeline to help Tao.

“Hey,” Minseok said as he sat on the other side of the prop (a boat) that Tao was painting. “I thought you’re not coming today. I thought you’re gonna watch Jongin’s game.” He dipped the paintbrush in the can to start working as well.

 “Yet here I am.” Tao answered shortly. However, Minseok noticed coldness in his voice that he has never heard of before. It was so clear that he did not notice that he stopped what he was doing.

After a few seconds, Minseok found his voice. “Is something wrong? Are you feeling okay?” He did not expect his voice would be this shaky

But Tao ignored him as he continued to paint. Minseok thought that the other did not hear him.

“Hey,” Minseok dared to ask again. “Are you okay? Is there something bothering you?”

“Yeah,” Tao answered in an almost whisper. “You are bothering me.” And with that, Tao stood up and walked away to do something else, leaving a very confused Minseok behind.

Throughout the day, Tao avoided Minseok. At first, Minseok did not want to admit it, but who was he kidding? The taller one was doing the best he could to stand so far away from Minseok and ignore him. In the end, he had no choice but to give up. Even when their class was done for that day, Tao left without saying any word. Feeling more miserable than ever, Minseok sadly walked to his part time job.

He felt like shouting. He cannot understand. He wants to understand, yet Tao was doing his best not to make him do so. Was there something that he did wrong? Was there something that he said? Why was Tao acting that way towards him all of a sudden?

“Promise you’ll remember.”

Those were Tao’s words to him from last night. It seems to him that even though it was only the previous day, it felt like a far cry from the sudden turn of events today. Minseok promised Tao. He did, and he meant that. He promised he will not forget Tao’s feelings for him. And yet…

“How am I supposed to remember if you’re suddenly hurting me like this?”

 


 

Kyungsoo was running as fast as he can, his heart was racing. He was running past the marketplace, and he did not even care if he bumped into a lot of people. That was the last thing on his mind right now. He had only one thing on his mind: he has to go to the hospital as fast as he can. He was so distracted that he was almost run over by a car while crossing the street. He did not even realize if it was not for the loud honking.

“Hey, kid! Do you wanna die? Watch where you’re going!”

“I’m sorry, sir! Sorry!”

After apologizing repeatedly to the driver, Kyungsoo hurried once again. A sense of relief came to him when he saw the hospital’s façade. He rushed inside the emergency room as fast as he can.

“Appa!” Kyungsoo cried when he saw his father. “What happened?”

“What are you doing here?!” His father eyed him in surprise. He was getting bandaged up on one of his legs. “Aren’t you supposed to be at Jongin’s game?”

Kyungsoo shook his head. “How am I supposed to stay there when you’re at the hospital?”

His father waved his hand in nonchalance. “Son, I’m alright. This is just a small bruise. I’m not gonna die.”

“Appa!” Kyungsoo protested.

“Anyway,” His father looked at him. “Did you even watch the game? Did Jongin win?”

Kyungsoo shrugged. “I don’t really know… I just arrived at the venue when I got your call, and I rushed here right away.”

“Ah,” His father shook his head. “I shouldn’t have called you.”

“Appa, don’t say that.” Kyungsoo said. “Is your leg gonna be alright?”

“Yes.” His dad answered. “Ah, It’s gonna be a bit difficult to move around for a little while, but I’ll manage.”

“You’re already set, sir.” The nurse who was putting the cast on his father said. “You can go home now.”

After the doctor gave them his instructions, Kyungsoo assisted his father on their way home. As they rode the taxi back, Kyungsoo’s mind drifted off somewhere. I wonder if they won the game. He thought. To be honest, this was the first time that he missed their school’s game. Ever since he started high school, he had attended every single basketball match, but that was not the priority today. No matter what happens, his father must come first. And anyway, he trusted Jongin’s ability that they would win today, so he was contented. The cab was just nearing their house, when he saw a familiar figure with a gym bag slung on his shoulders and was pacing back and forth in front of their house.

“Appa!” Jongin burst out when Kyungsoo and his dad was getting out of the taxi. “Are you alright?” He helped Kyungsoo’s dad to get out of the vehicle. Kyungsoo smiled a little. Jongin was too comfortable with the way he was addressing his father.

“I’m alright, Jongin.” His father laughed heartily. “It doesn’t hurt at all. Come on, you two. I have crutches. I can walk by myself.”

Kyungsoo and Jongin who had both their arms on him let go right away.

“How was the game?” Kyungsoo’s dad asked as they went inside the house.

“Of course, I won, Appa.” Jongin smiled widely. “Kyungsoo told me he won’t give me bread if I don’t win!”

“Oh that reminds me!” The older man exclaimed. “Do you want me to bake you some bread today?”

“Okay, I think that’s enough.” Kyungsoo said as he directed his dad upstairs. “You should rest today, Appa.”

“Okay, that’s what the boss says.” His father joked. “I’ll be heading to my room now, Jongin. See you next time.”

After Kyungsoo made sure his dad was tucked in his dad well, he proceeded downstairs to find an awaiting Jongin at the staircase.

“What are you doing here Jongin?” Kyungsoo asked first.

“Really? That’s what you ask me first?” Jongin raised his eyebrows playfully.

Kyungsoo glared at him first, but his eyes softened eventually. “I… I’m sorry. I didn’t mean anything with that. I was just shocked that you’re here.”

Jongin followed Kyungsoo as he slumped himself on the couch.

“I got worried when I didn’t see you at the game.” Jongin explained as he faced Kyungsoo, which caused butterflies in the latter’s stomach. “I kept on searching for you throughout the game, but you didn’t show up. I tried calling you, but you’re not answering your phone, so I went here. When I got here however, the house was locked, so I realized something’s up. I’m just glad that Appa is okay.”

Kyungsoo snorted when Jongin said “Appa”.

Jongin frowned at him. “What? What’s so funny?”

Kyungsoo shook his head while trying to hide a smug smile. “Nothing, just you’re so comfortable with calling my dad “Appa”.”

“You’re mean,” Jongin scoffed.

Kyungsoo smiled. “I’m glad you won the game though.”

Jongin who was still pouting said, “Yeah and I’ll be expecting my basket of bread on Monday.”

“I know, I know,” Kyungsoo rolled his eyes. “I’ll be baking it though, since Appa would be needing his rest. So don’t expect it to be as delicious as his.”

Jongin meanwhile sat up excitedly in his seat. “Really?! You’ll bake for me?”

 Kyungsoo shrugged. “Yeah, why not? I promised you a basket of bread anyway…”

Jongin smiled gleefully. “I can’t wait.” Then he suddenly yawned and stretched his arms. “I’m tired.”

“Are you sleepy?” Kyungsoo watched him. “Do you want to go home?”

Jongin shook his head and curled up against Kyungsoo, leaning his head on the latter’s shoulders. Kyungsoo meanwhile froze in his seat.

“Yah, what are you doing?” Kyungsoo’s voice shook a little.

“Sleeping…” Jongin drifted off.

Kyungsoo tried to shake him off, but Jongin held onto him. “Do you really have to do it here?”

Jongin hummed in response as he got more comfortable. “Kyungsoo, are you okay?” He said sleepily.

“Of course I am…” Kyungsoo replied.

“No, are you okay?” Jongin asked again. “Like, are you happy?”

Kyungsoo paused before responding. “Yes, I’m happy… Why are you asking me that?”

Jongin shook his head. “I’m glad you’re happy...”

“What’s up anyway?” Kyungsoo asked, but it seemed that Jongin had already dozed off.

Kyungsoo stayed still, hardly making any move. How he wished to the heavens that they could stay together this way forever. Jongin looked so peaceful in his sleep. Kyungsoo tried to adjust him carefully so that he would be more comfortable. However, when Kyungsoo tried shifting Jongin’s arm, he noticed an old scar on it. It was a long thin line. It looked old, hardly noticeable if you do not look at it close enough. Kyungsoo traced it with his fingers. He himself had not noticed it before. He turned to the sleeping boy beside him, wondering how such a thing could mark him. It made him realize how little he knew about Jongin.

“What about you, Jongin… Are you really happy?”

 


 

The doorbell rang once again; Chanyeol had been ignoring it all morning. However, since some of his neighbors were already complaining about the noise, he received a phone call from their landlord to ask him to just open the door. Chanyeol was worried though, he was hoping that Joonmyun would be home that morning so that he could help him, but he received a text from his best friend informing him that he will come home later that night. So, Chanyeol had no choice but to pacify everybody and open the freaking door.

“Ah, Master Chanyeol,” The person on the doorway said. “You finally welcomed me to your home.”

Chanyeol however held up his hand to stop the old man from entering his apartment. “I didn’t say you could come in. I just wanted for you to stop ringing the doorbell! Everybody’s freaking out at me right now!”

“But Master Chanyeol, if you please...” The old man bowed to him which made Chanyeol very uneasy. “I won’t stop ringing your doorbell unless you hear me out.”

Chanyeol stared at the man, deliberating with himself if he should listen to the stranger in front of him or not. On the other hand, he thought of the neighbors once again, and since he did not want to be kicked out of the apartment anyway (he has no idea how he would explain it to Joonmyun if ever that happens), he finally let the old man in the apartment. The old man has a kind-natured smile on his face as he sat down on the sofa. He was surveying the living room when Chanyeol sat down as well.

The old man, taking notice of Chanyeol finally went back to business. “As I was saying, Master Chanyeol…”

But Chanyeol cut him off. “Please don’t call me Master, it makes me feel uneasy.”

The old man frowned at him. “What should I call you then?”

Chanyeol shrugged. “Just my first name will do.”

“I can’t just call you by that!” The old man looked at him with pure surprise.

“Look, old man,” Chanyeol insisted. “I am a man with manners… Well, most of the time… But if you don’t stop calling me Master or anything at that, I will kick your out of my apartment, got it?”

The old man eyed him in amusement. “You are a funny man, Master Chanyeol.”

“Ugh,” Chanyeol scratched his head in frustration. “That’s it. I give up. What’s your business here again?”

The old man cleared his throat. “Like I said to you last night, I work for your father.”

Chanyeol rolled his eyes. “And like I told you last night, I don’t have a father.”

“Master Chanyeol, if you could just hear me out please,” The old man pulled out a business card from his front pocket. “My name is Jinsoo. I am under your father’s wing, yes, however, he was not the one who sent me here.”

“Then why are you here then, ahjussi?” Chanyeol asked. “Who sent you?”

“I was sent here by the Madam.” The old man--- Jinsoo replied.

“Madam?” Chanyeol was caught by surprise. “By that, you mean…?”

Jinsoo nodded. “Yes, Master Chanyeol. Your father’s wife… Your brother’s mother.”

“But how did…?” Chanyeol’s mouth hangs open.

“Ah,” Jinsoo smiled a reminiscent one. “You see, Master Chanyeol, I worked as your brother’s--- the young master’s butler. I had been with him as early as the day he was born. I watched him grew up under my guidance. His mother entrusted him to me with her life. I was the one who knew your brother the most… Well, that’s what I thought back then…”

Jinsoo paused for a little while before he continued. “At that time, I was the only one he confided about your existence. He would tell me stories about your meetings; he was really fond of you.”

Chanyeol sat unmoving on his position. Before him is a person who knew his brother. A person from his brother’s other world, the one that was kept off away from him. Chanyeol does not know what to feel. To hear this old man talk about his brother… He was suddenly filled with a sense of nostalgia.

“Little did I know,” Jinsoo continued with his musings. “Madam soon came to know of your existence as well. Until the present, I am not sure how she found out, but she did. By the way she talked about it, it seemed like it was at the time when young master was still alive. However, she only talked to me regarding you just recently. She was curious about you. She asked me to find out how you’re doing.”

Chanyeol frowned. “Why would she want to talk about me all of a sudden? If she’s worried that I’ll come after their money, tell her not to worry. I promised myself I’m not gonna associate myself with their family in any way.”

Jinsoo shook his head. “No, Master Chanyeol. You’ve got it all wrong. It’s quite the opposite actually.”

“Then what is it?” Chanyeol asked feeling more lost than ever.

“Master Chanyeol,” Jinsoo started. “Please understand. It was around a year ago. Your father experienced a massive and his body was greatly weakened. He managed to recover, but the doctors advised him to not handle so much work and stress anymore. He was deteriorated by it, and to run a multinational company is definitely bad for him. He was currently overseas now, taking his much needed rest. Madam was currently managing the company with her own abilities; however, she could only do so much. She isn’t that young anymore also. She’s afraid that maybe one day, she won’t be able to control the company anymore. That’s why…”

Chanyeol knows where this is going. “No.”

“Please, Master Chanyeol,” Jinsoo insisted. “Madam just wants to meet you once.”

“I can’t.” Chanyeol said with finality.

“You are the only heir, Master Chanyeol,” Jinsoo pleaded. “If young master was alive, he…”

“…He would pretty much turn down the position as well.” Chanyeol cut off once again.

Jinsoo paused at that, and then smiled. “Yes, I guess you’re right.”

“How could I face her anyway?” Chanyeol shrugged. “I’m the son of her husband’s mistress. I’m a bastard. How would I be able to do that?”

“Madam is a lady, Master Chanyeol.” Jinsoo smiled ruefully. “All her life, she trained herself to become what she is right now. Besides, she knows how much young master cared about you, how important you are to him. Just please, just once… Give her a chance.”

Chanyeol was still not sure what to do. This was his hyung’s mother. At some point, Chanyeol felt that somehow, he is one of the causes of this woman’s unhappiness; however, deep inside there was this craving for him to know his brother’s other world. He wanted to get to know him… His past, his likes, the people around him, and the people he loved.

“I’ll think about it.” Chanyeol said finally.

Jinsoo nodded. “Please do. If you made up your mind just call me with the number on the card I gave you. Thank you so much, Master Chanyeol. I’m sure if young master is still alive, he would be really happy.”

 

Hours after Jinsoo took his leave; Chanyeol lied on his bed while staring at nothingness. His mind swirling on a lot of thoughts.

“Hyung, will I be able to make the right decision?”

 


 

“So you’re telling me,” Luhan stared in awe as they stood on the doorway. “That you hijacked a high school boy’s bedroom during the time that we fought?”

Sehun shrugged as he proceeded to go inside the bedroom. “Pretty much, yeah…”

“Oh Sehun,” Luhan feigned a glare at him as he followed Sehun inside as well. “How dare you rob a teenage kid his bedroom? He needs it the most at this age!”

“Oh, shut up and just help me pack.” Sehun said as he started cleaning up his things. “I promised Baekhyun I’d move out as soon as the two of us made up.”

Luhan chuckled and eyed Sehun lovingly. “So you’re confident that we’re gonna make up?”

Sehun turned to him quickly with his eyebrows raised. “Of course I am. It’s us. We’re too meant to be together to be far away from each other.”

“Sehun,” Luhan said as he wrapped his arms on the others waist. “You are amazing.”

“So are you.” Sehun smiled as he placed a quick peck on Luhan’s nose. “Now, come on Lulu, let’s go pack.”

Luhan followed Sehun eagerly as the latter started to pack his things. It amazes Luhan so much how his boyfriend could turn this room into such a mess, Clothes and papers everywhere. The two of them do have a lot of cleaning up to do. Luhan watches Sehun absentmindedly as the other started to organize the pile of papers on the floor. He smiles to himself in satisfaction. This person right in front of him, Luhan thought, this is the person that he first wants to see when he wakes up and the last before he closes his eyes. He wants to jump up and down due to the happiness that he was feeling right now.

“What is it?” Sehun suddenly asked, interrupting Luhan’s trail of thoughts.

Luhan blushed. “Oh, umm, nothing.”

Sehun looked at him in worry. “You sure? You’re kinda drifting off somewhere…”

“I’m okay.” Luhan smiled. “I’m just happy.” Sehun smiled at him in return.

Luhan started helping up with the clean-up. Although he knew that this job would be easier if they both hurried up, the two of them were distracted from time to time because they would whisper sweet nothings to each other and kiss every now and then. It took a while, and finally, when there were just a few papers to be put in order, Sehun called up to him.

“Hey Lu?” Sehun asked as Luhan was picking up the last pieces of papers.

“Yeah?” Luhan answered as he examined the papers one by one.

“Can I borrow your car keys?” Sehun said. “I’ll be bringing some of the stuff down first so that it’d be easier later.”

“Sure,” Luhan said. “They’re on the bedside table beside my wallet.”

Luhan was just arranging the pile of papers, which turned out to be a script. He heard Sehun fumble around in the background when he heard a small thud in the ground.

“Whoops.” Sehun said.

Luhan, whose full attention was back in the script asked nonchalantly, “What is it? What happened?”

“Oh, nothing.” Sehun replied. “I just dropped your wal… Hey, where did you get this?”

“Get what?” Luhan finally turned to Sehun. His former expression of curiosity turned into a surprise when he saw Sehun holding his open wallet in his hands. He dropped the papers he was holding and ran to his now laughing boyfriend. He never intended Sehun to find it out like this, and now there is a huge possibility that his boyfriend will think he is a stalker, especially now that he found out that Luhan kept his high school photo of him in his wallet.

“Give me that!” Luhan’s whole face was as red as tomato right now. He was desperately trying to reach for his wallet, which the taller one was keeping away from him.

“I don’t want to…” Sehun said playfully as Luhan was jumping up and down to reach him. “Since when did you get hold of my super-duper handsome high school photo?”

“Ugh, I hate you!!” Luhan, after a few more desperate attempts gave up and turned away. He covered his face with his hands out of embarrassment.

“Hey come on,” Sehun tried to remove the other’s hands from his face, but Luhan stubbornly fought back. “Don’t be mad.”

“You’re thinking I’m a psycho-stalker now, aren’t you?” Luhan hated himself to sound this whiny, but he couldn’t help it. He felt so embarrassed that a few tears were stinging his eyes right now.

“No, I’m not.” Sehun said.

Luhan’s hands slacked a little which the other took as an opportunity to remove it from his face.

“Please don’t try to patronize me.” Luhan said with a few tears stinging his eyes, threatening to fall down anytime.

“I’m not.” Sehun wiped the tears with a wide smile on his face. “You know what I’m thinking?”

Luhan shook his head as he unconsciously leaned on the other’s touch. “What is it?”

“Luhan,” Sehun sighed. “I’m thinking how did I deserve someone as wonderful as you? How could someone as low a person like me deserve the love that you offer?”

Luhan looked up to Sehun and their eyes locked finally, “It’s just for you, Oh Sehun… Only for you.”

He was rather caught in surprise when Sehun suddenly tackled him that the two of them fell softly on the bed. Luhan had no time to react when Sehun started peppering his face with kisses.

“Hey,” Luhan has to catch his breath for him to speak coherently. “What are you doing?”

Sehun stopped and looked at him carefully. “I just want to show you how much I love you. I have some catching up to do”

“Okay, okay!” Luhan laughed a little. “It’s just, we can’t do it here.”

“Who says we’re gonna do it?” Sehun teased. “And I thought I’m the one who has the dirty mind.”

Luhan blushed and tried to sit up, but Sehun stopped him.

“Hey, don’t go.” Sehun said smiling. “I’m not done with you yet.” He went to capture Luhan’s lips.

Half an hour later, when the both of them have finally kissed the hell out of each other in between their declarations of love to each other, Luhan has his back on Sehun while the other wrapped his arms tightly on his waist.

“So you didn’t really answer my question…” Sehun said in a soft whisper.

“What question?” Luhan’s fingers played with Sehun’s.

“Where did you get my photo in your wallet?” Sehun asked once again and Luhan’s fingers hesitated a bit.

Luhan sighed before confessing. “I got it from Jongdae years ago…”

Sehun laughed. “Years ago? How long has that thing been in there?”

“Hey, don’t judge me,” Luhan said. “It’s the only photo I have of you…”

“Well that’s not fair…” Sehun said.

“What is?” Luhan asked as he looked over his shoulders.

Sehun laughed a little as he buried his nose in Luhan’s hair.

“Now I need a photo of you in my wallet too.”

 


 

Tao stood in a deserted alley. If he got the information right, somebody would be coming for him soon. He looked at his watch, and he realized that he was earlier than he was anticipating. He sighed to himself as he remembered the events that morning. He had been deliberately acted like a jerk with Minseok. He laughed bitterly, because he himself knew it was the stupidest idea in the history. On the other hand, Tao knew, even though Jonghyun had assured him of Minseok’s safety, it would be dangerous. He cannot let anyone, including his brothers or Minseok in on this. He needs to do this alone. Besides, he knew that if Minseok knew anything about what he was doing, he would do anything to stop Tao no matter what.

He cannot risk that. This opportunity right here, Tao was too close to finding out the truth to back out now. As the time of the scheduled rendezvous neared, he felt a sense of anticipation and danger. And sure enough, a little while later, he sensed a person coming to approach him. Tao immediately put his guard up. He had been in enough fights to learn that that he cannot trust anyone easily.

“You’re early.” The figure told him as he closed in on Tao.

Tao smirked. “I don’t think it’s any of your business what time I arrive here.”

“Hey, chill,” The guy told him. “That’s just a random comment. You don’t have to get riled up like that.”

“Whatever,” Tao rolled his eyes. “Let’s get down to business. Take me to whoever’s in charge in here.”

The guy clicked his tongue as he shook his head. “You’re going too fast. We need to be careful first you know.”

“What do you mean?” Tao asked as he glared at the guy. “Why can’t I meet him now?”

“Of course we need to know if you could be trusted.” The guy replied.

Tao snorted. “Trust? Really?”

The guy laughed as well. “You know what I mean.”

“Then why did you guys wanted to meet me?” Tao asked in annoyance. He did not want to waste any more time, and now he feels so frustrated to how close he is right now.

“This,” The guy handed him a slip of paper. “Follow this and you’ll be fine.”

Tao read the paper and tear it after reading. Before the guy left, Tao called him. “The deal is still on right? You’re not allowed to touch my family and friends.”

The guy smirked at him. “Well you know our rules. We won’t touch them unless they touch us.” And with that, the guy waved Tao his goodbye.

Tao followed the guy with a glare. His fist was clenched. He thought that things would be over quickly, but who was he kidding, obviously not. Tao just hoped that no one would be involved in this. He must do this carefully and quickly. He sighed once again as he contemplated the thing that he had gotten into. Clearly, he knew that it would be something dangerous, between life and death even, yet he was aware that as long as this mystery was surrounding him, he would never rest, even if he put his life on the line.

 Since there was not anything he could do at the moment, he decided to head home. The afternoon sun was burning on his back as he walked by the river side. The cool breeze blowing so serenely, as if mocking him with everything that was happening to his life. Tao did not know how or why, but at that moment, he decided to check on his phone. As soon as he got a hold of it, it started lighting up. Minseok was calling him… again. Tao stopped walking and stared at the phone. All day, he was rejecting all the calls from the smaller boy, yet he kind of underestimated the stubbornness of Minseok. Tao smiled to himself, somehow, the chubby-cheeked boy always pulled him into a reality which he is not sure he belonged to. On the other hand, he had always yearned of Minseok’s attention, and he knew that sooner or later, the walls that he had always put around himself would be destroyed by Minseok with just a simple look.

 As his phone lit up once again, Tao’s walls eventually broke down, and he knew that he would regret it so much later, but he pressed the answer button.

“Hello?” Minseok’s voice came out as a small squeak. “Are you there?”

Tao couldn’t help, but to breathe a sigh of relief, yet he did not let himself say too much. “Yes.”

“I never thought you’d answer.” Minseok said sadly. “You’ve been rejecting all my calls all day.”

“I know.” Tao replied. “Why are you calling?”

“Oh, umm, well,” Minseok hesitated. “I just want to talk.”

Tao bit his bottom lip before talking once again. “I don’t really have time to talk right now. This is kind of a waste of my time.”

There was a silence on the other line, and Tao hoped that Minseok would just hang up on a jerk like him “I’m sorry, if there’s”

“Listen,” Tao interrupted. “From now on, do not ever come near me again or talk to me again, okay?”

His fist clenched as he hang up the phone.

 


 

From the moment he stepped in the company, Jongdae knew something was up. He was just not sure if it was something good or something bad. As he walked along the hallways, he saw some of the employees whispering not so discreetly and shooting looks at his direction. Whenever Jongdae would look at them however, they would eventually resume to their activities. Well, he was used to it by now, of course, that was the price of fame. People would talk about him in the long run. What bothers him though is that he never expected this attitude from the company employees. They see him every day in the first place.

Eventually, he was able to find out the root of all the gossips when his manager handed to him a newspaper that day. It had an article talking about Jongdae and his return to the entertainment scene. What caused the talks on the other hand was that he was called a “has-been” and someone whose fifteen minutes of fame was already over. It was also mentioned that coming back at this state was nearly impossible for him to be a success once more. At one point, he expected that sooner or later, people will talk about things like this about him. However, he did not expect that he would take the blow this badly. Even Yixing when he arrived at the practice room noticed the dark atmosphere surrounding Jongdae.

“Hyung,” Yixing asked as he pressed the stop button. “Are you okay? You seem distracted today.”

Jongdae shrugged. “Nothing, I just had a bad day, that’s all.”

“Do you feel fine?” Yixing asked worriedly. “We can stop the rehearsals if you want.”

Jongdae, on the other hand, shook his head. “No, I can still practice. I’m sorry if I was distracted earlier.”

They started to rehearse once again. Jongdae tried his hardest to concentrate, but his mind kept drifting off about the article. He was so engrossed in his own thoughts that he did not noticed that he was out of the timing and he missed some of the steps in the choreography. Yixing, in the end stepped in and turned off the music once more. Jongdae was catching his breath as Yixing eyed him with concern.

“Hyung,” Yixing said. “I think you need a break.”

Jongdae felt so stressed that he could only nod.

“Listen,” Yixing added as he made his way to the door. “I’ll be back in a bit. I’ll just go check on Joonmyun. He’s picking Baekhyun up downstairs.”

“Okay.” Jongdae said. He felt really exhausted as he slumped on the wooden floors when Yixing went out of the rehearsal room.

Jongdae sat buried his face on his knees. He has always been a fighter, and he knew this was not the first time in his entire career that he had been criticized this way. Hell, when he was just a rookie, the articles were much worse compared to this. However, he could not comprehend how an article made him so… lonely. In some way, it made him feel all the regret from leaving everything behind. Also, it made him scared of how he was not good enough. What if all the things written are true? What if he was already a “has-been”? Jongdae frantically shook his head as he tried to push away those bad thoughts from his head.

Deciding that he needed a breather, he decided to go for a drink.

He had just gotten a bottle of soda from the vending machine outside of the rehearsal room when he saw Yixing and Joonmyun standing not that far away from him. From where he was standing, Jongdae saw Yixing put a hand on Joonmyun’s forehead.

“Are you still feeling okay?” Jongdae heard Yixing said. “You’re not feeling sick anymore?”

Joonmyun nodded. “I’m okay, Yixing-ah.”

Jongdae could not help, but to feel a bit lonelier as he watched the two from afar. At some point, he missed having somebody taking care of him. He laughed at himself and the pathetic state he was in. How pathetic he was for being jealous of something he gave up on the first place.

“Baekhyun-ah said he’d be here in five minutes.” Joonmyun told Yixing. “I’ll go downstairs to meet him.”

“Okay,” Yixing nodded.

“We’ll just follow you to the rehearsal room then?” Joonmyun asked.

“Yeah,” Yixing replied. “I guess I have to go back as well. I need to check if Jongdae-hyung’s okay now.”

Jongdae immediately slipped back to the rehearsal room. Not long after, Yixing went inside as well.

“Jongdae-hyung,” Yixing called to him. “Is everything alright now?”

Jongdae nodded and smiled. “Yeah, I’m really sorry Yixing. I wasted so much of your time.”

“Don’t worry about it.” Yixing shook his head. “Your welfare is the most important here.”

“Yixing,” Jongdae turned to the other. “Why are you so good to me?”

“Why wouldn’t I be?” Yixing asked in return. “You’re good to me to, hyung.”

Jongdae sighed as he took a step forward toward Yixing. “Yixing, do you think I’m good enough?”

Yixing’s eyebrows furrowed. It must be an indication of discomfort as Jongdae took slow steps towards him. “You’re an amazingly talented person, hyung. Why would you think you’re not good enough?”

“Huh,” That was all Jongdae said before he took the necessary steps forward and pressed his lips against Yixing.

Jongdae felt the other froze from his spot, before trying to make a step back. However, Jongdae held him in place. The only thing that distracted him was when he heard the door open. Yixing finally managed to push him away. Jongdae and Yixing looked at the direction of the doorway as they both saw Joonmyun looking straight back at them. His expression showed hurt and betrayal as he backed away and ran back outside.

Yixing mumbled a small “I’m sorry, hyung” before bolting outside to run after Joonmyun.

Jongdae found himself staring at his reflection in the walls of mirror. He had never felt so ashamed and disgusted of himself in his entire life. He felt so pathetic and at the same time he could not help but to feel pity in him. There was a lump lodged in his throat that he know he would not be able to get rid of. Strangely, he could not bring himself to cry. As he walked outside the studio, he ran into Kris in the doorway.

Jongdae has no energy to face him right now, and he was about to walk away when he felt Kris held his wrist.

“What’s wrong?” Kris asked. “Did something happen?”

Jongdae shook his head as he released himself from the other’s grip.

“Nothing much, I think I just destroyed someone’s life once again.”

 


 

Yixing was running like a lunatic right now. He was not sure where to go to, yet he knows that if he stops, he would not be able to take it. He checked his phone, but there are no messages or missed calls. He was really worried right now. He was going to go crazy if he does not find Joonmyun anytime soon. He tried calling once more… Nothing. He was sent to voicemail once again. Even though he knew it would be useless, he tried calling… Again and again and again, but still there was no answer. He growled in frustration as he put his phone down. Clearly, Joonmyun does not want to be found right now.

He nearly jumped in surprise when his phone rang. There was a sudden burst of hope in his heart, but when he saw the caller ID, it was Baekhyun. Nevertheless, Yixing answered it immediately in case Baekhyun found Joonmyun.

“Baekhyun,” Yixing said to the other line desperately. “Have you found him yet?”

“No, Yixing-ah,” Baekhyun replied from the other line. “I was just gonna ask you if you found him yourself, but it seems like he already left the building.”

“Goddamnit!” Yixing cried in frustration.

“Yixing, I know this is hard, but you have to calm down.” Baekhyun said.

“Baekhyun-ah…” Yixing said his voice shaking a little. “Tell me what happened exactly when you last saw Joonmyun. Please… Please.”

“Well, he was in a rush when he told me he was going to leave.” Baekhyun explained. “I gave him permission since I thought he wasn’t feeling well again. I assumed he wanted to rest up since he just recovered from a fever, so I sent him home. I never thought it was something else until you came to me in panic. I also called Chanyeol, but it seemed like Joonmyun’s not at their apartment either.”

“I don’t know where he is…” Yixing said in panic. “This is my entire fault.”

“What happened back there anyway?” Baekhyun asked. “Why did Joonmyun walk out like that?”

Yixing hesitated for a moment as he paced back and forth, “He saw me kissing Jongdae-hyung.”

“He what?!” Baekhyun gasped from the other line. “Why the hell did you do that?”

“I don’t know,” Yixing said closing his eyes in frustration. “I didn’t expect hyung was going to do that. I didn’t know how to react and all. By the time I pushed him away, Joonmyun’s already seen everything. I didn’t know what I was thinking that time, I don’t know, Baekhyun-ah… I don’t know what the hell happened. I don’t ing know what to do. I don’t know. I don’t know.”

Okay, okay,” Baekhyun said. “Please, Yixing, you have to calm down. Please. We’ll find him. Now, do you know any place where he’d possibly go?”

Yixing thought about it for a moment, when an idea comes to mind. “I think I do. Baekhyun-ah, I’ll call you later in case you find him. Okay? Thanks.”

“Okay, Yixing-ah,” Baekhyun said. “I’ll keep you posted.”

Yixing knew it would be a long shot, but if Joonmyun would really go to anywhere right now he would surely be at the park. Right? That place is special for the both of them, and Yixing himself went there a lot of times, whenever he was feeling sad and lonely before or when he just needed to clear some of the things in his mind. There is a possibility Joonmyun has to be there. Joonmyun must be there. If not, Yixing would be back to square one. That option would be problematic since after the park, he has no idea where he should search next. He was praying really hard that Joonmyun would be there. He drove his car quickly, as if he was on a race, which is kind of true this time. Just this time though, he was in a race against time.

He had barely parked his car, when he had gone out of it and ran into the park. He wanted to break down when finally, finally, he found a familiar figure sitting on one of the swings in the playground. Joonmyun was sitting with his back on him.

Yixing slowly approached the other. “Joonmyun, I—“

“Please don’t come any closer.” Joonmyun’s voice was firm, yet it felt like it was too fragile.

Yixing, on the other hand took another step. “Joonmyun, listen to…”

“Please.” This time, Joonmyun’s voice wavered a little. “Please don’t make any step further. Please, Yixing-ah…”

“Why?” Yixing asked. His fists clenched tightly. “Why can’t I come to you?”

It took a little while before Joonmyun answered. “I’m ashamed, Yixing-ah. I don’t think I could face you right now.”

“Listen, Joonmyun, it’s my fault.” Yixing said, using all of his willpower to not run to the other. “What happened back there, when you saw what happened between Jongdae-hyung and I…”

Joonmyun took a deep breath as he shook his head. “Please don’t blame yourself, Xing-ah. It’s not your fault.”

“Then why are you like this?” Yixing bit his lip to stop himself from saying anything more.Why…?” Why are we like this?

“It’s me, Xing…” Joonmyun laughed bitterly. “Not you, it’s me. I… I’m a bad person aren’t I? For feeling things like this, I’m a selfish person, aren’t I?”

“I can’t understand.” Yixing said in frustration. “Joonmyun let me understand.”

“Please, leave me alone right now… okay?” Joonmyun said. The last word was barely a whisper.

“I can’t leave you alone!” Yixing shouted. All of his pent up feelings are becoming out of control. “I can’t leave you alone! If I don’t see you, I think I’ll go crazy!”

“It hurts, okay?!” Joonmyun answered in return His voice barely concealing the fragility of it, little by little, it breaks down. “Right now, being around you… It hurts! My heart… It’s in pain, and I know I’m not supposed to feel it, but it really feels something!”

Yixing stood unmoving from his spot. He let Joonmyun’s words sank into him. At that moment, in his mind, all he can think about is, Joonmyun was hurt. Joonmyun is hurting.

“So please, Yixing-ah,” Joonmyun continued. “Give me some time and space. I’ll get over this. I’ll learn how to forget these feelings. Just let me be. I’ll definitely come back when I can face you again. I promise.”

Yixing watched as Joonmyun stood up, still with his back on him. He watched as Joonmyun started to walk away. His instinct is telling him to go after Joonmyun, but he stood rooted on the spot.

“Joonmyun-ah, in the end, I am still the coward. I couldn’t even stop you from walking away.”

 


 

“Good evening! Is there anything… ah,” A woman with a beautiful long black hair which matches her delicate feature greeted Kris as he went to a bar he has been familiar  with for so many years. “Now you remember to visit.... you brat!”

“Victoria-noona,” Kris said with a thoughtful smile on his face as he surveyed the number of people in the bar. “Busy night, tonight, huh?”

The woman, Victoria, faked a scoff before returning a smile herself. “Every night is a busy night in here. Are you in a hurry? If you’re not, you can go inside and play with the kids. I’ll be closing in an hour or so. Can you wait?”

“Sure,” Kris answered. “I really need a drink right now.”

Victoria looked at him from head to toe then back up with a slight frown on her face. “God, you are such a mess right now.” She began to push Kris inside the staff door and led him inside the house behind. “Go play! I’ll attend to you later!” She called as she went back to the bar outside.

Kris sighed, but he was smiling slightly. He was fond of this place. He had barely removed his shoes when two kids, a boy and a girl ran to him happily.

“Kris-oppa!” A girl, barely four years of age ran up to him.

“How are you little Sulli?” Kris said as he carried Sulli in his arms. “Are you eating well?”

The little girl nodded. “Yes~ I’m eating well, so that I’ll grow up faster so I can marry you, oppa!”

“Hyung,” A little boy who was the older brother started to pull the hem of his shirt. “Carry me too…”

“I’ll put you down first, okay? Kris told Sulli then he carried the older boy. “You look taller now, Kibum.”

“I always drink milk like you told me!” Kibum answered proudly. “One day, I’ll be taller than you, hyung!”

“Oppa!” Sulli started pulling his free hand. “Let’s play!”

Kris went to play with Victoria’s kids, and by the time their mother finally went inside the house, the two kids were both napping on Kris’ lap. He waited until Victoria had the two tucked in their beds safely. As usual, when Victoria came out, she headed towards the kitchen to retrieve several bottles of beer. This has always been a habit of Kris. Whenever he wanted to escape from his reality, he always go to Victoria, the only person in this planet who knows all about him, excluding Jongdae of course. As Victoria, took a seat beside him, there was a fond smile on her face.

“So,” Victoria said as she opened a bottle of beer for herself. “It’s been a long time since you’ve been here. You know the kids are asking for you all the time.”

Kris took a sip from his bottle. “I’m sorry noona, things got a bit hectic at the office right now.”

“Yeah, well,” Victoria smiled. “That’s what I expected. Jongdae’s finally back from what I’ve heard. That would really make your schedule a mess.”

“I never thought you knew.” Kris raised his eyebrows in surprise.

“Are you kidding me?” Victoria chuckled. “His face is all over the country. Of course I’ll know.”

Kris laughed as well. “Yeah, he sure knows how to make his entrance.”

“So what about you two?” Victoria asked.

“What about us?” Kris asked, not daring to look at Victoria.

“, please, don’t pull the innocent card on me.” Victoria said waving a hand. “Are you two back together or not?”

“Well, it’s answer enough that I’m drinking with you right now.” Kris said as Victoria laughed. “By the way, have you talked to him yet?”

“Me?” Victoria pointed to herself. “You’re the only person in my past that I’ve remained in contact with. Besides, I don’t think Jongdae’s forgiven me when he found out that I was your first kiss.”

Kris snorted. “Well, you know him. I just thought that because he’s your brother and all… I thought he’d at least call you.”

Victoria sighed. “He didn’t even tell me he left, how could I expect that he’d call when he’s back? Although I’d wish we could talk in the future. I want him to know his nephew and niece after all.”

“Do you want to return?” Kris asked in a serious tone.

“No,” Victoria said defensively. “I promised myself I won’t return in that world, you know? I left everything: money, security, fame… Hell, I was even the one who broke our arranged marriage.”

“What do you think happen though, if the two of us did get married?” Kris asked Victoria. “Do you think we’ll have kids already?”

“Hmm,” Victoria thought for a moment. “Why are you even asking that anyway? I’m so done with the past. I’ve turned my back already.”

“Well, I turned my back on it too…” Kris said matter of factly.

“Yeah, well,” Victoria shrugged. “I’ll give it to you. You didn’t inherit the company; yet, you started your own which is a success. So I think you’re the good rebel compared to us bad ones.                        

Kris smiled. “It was mine and Jongdae’s idea in the first place, but here I am.”

“What’s gonna happen now?” Victoria asked.

“Well, there’s someone else,” Kris said which made Victoria’s eyes widened a little.

“You sly boy,” Victoria teased. “So that’s what this is about.”

“I’m a bit confused right now…” Kris admitted. “I like this guy, you see. Yes, I know that I do… He’s nice and kind and all…”

Victoria narrowed her eyes. “…But? There’s a “but” there. I could sense it.”

Kris sighed. “But… There’s Jongdae.”

“Ah, there’s Jongdae.” Victoria nodded in agreement.

“What should I do noona?” Kris asked as he settled down the bottle of beer.

“You know what,” Victoria put down her bottle as well. “Take your time. You know, you think too much. You might want to get to know this little crush of yours more. I mean, it’s not a joke. You and my brother had been together for a decade. Think about that. It’s a long time. You practically grew up with him. I think it’s really not fair if you compare it to someone else. However, if in the end it’s really Jongdae, no one will stop you to grab that boy and keep him in your pocket forever so he won’t run off to America once more.”

Kris chuckled as he continued drinking once again. He and Victoria continued drinking to their heart’s content that he did not notice that he already passed out.

 

Hours later, with a bit of difficulty, Victoria managed to lie Kris down on the couch properly. Victoria looked over fondly as he brushed some of the stray strands of hair covering his eyes.

“I wonder too, what would happen if the two of us got married.” Victoria shook her head. When she was about to stand up, he noticed that someone was calling at Kris’ phone. When she looked at the caller ID, she cancelled the call and turned off the phone.

“I’m sorry, little brother, let him stay here with me and have a rest just for one night.”

 


 

Every step that Baekhyun took seemed like a race against time. All night, he had been searching for Joonmyun but to no avail. He was getting worried to death especially when nobody was giving him update. Even Yixing did not seem to call him anymore, which in return made Baekhyun more anxious. It was not until Chanyeol’s text informing him that Joonmyun was already home that he was able to calm down. Baekhyun was about to rush to their apartment, when he received a call from Joonmyun.

“Joonmyun-ah, where the hell were you?!” Baekhyun nearly shouted at the phone in worry.

“Baekhyun-ah,” Joonmyun said from the other line. Baekhyun noticed the crack in Joonmyun’s voice.

Baekhyun waited for the continuation, but it was taking so long. “Joonmyun-ah, take some time off this week.”

“What?” Joonmyun asked in surprise.

“Listen, Joonmyun.” Baekhyun said as he calmed himself down. “I understand how you feel, okay? Besides, I don’t think you can work that well if you stay. Just take a break. Don’t take this the wrong way, okay? You’re welcome to comeback anytime you want, whenever you’re ready. That’s final, you understand?”

But…” Joonmyun sighed. “Okay, I understand.”

“Just…” Baekhyun added in frustration. “Don’t make us worry this much, okay?! Please!”

“You’re right.” Joonmyun agreed. “I’m really sorry, Baekhyun-ah.”

 “Have you talked to Yixing yet?” Baekhyun asked. He waited for a response, but Joonmyun’s silence was answer enough. “What do you plan to do now?”

I think I’ll just visit my mom first in the province.” Joonmyun answered. “It’s been a long time since I last saw her.”

“That’s good.” Baekhyun said. “Don’t forget to update me.”

“I won’t” Joonmyun said. “Thank you so much, Baekhyun-ah…”

“No problem,” Baekhyun pleaded. “Take care of yourself, okay?”

“Yes, I will.” Joonmyun answered. “Oh, and Baekhyun-ah, can I ask you one last favor?”

“Sure, what is it?” Baekhyun asked.

Could you please go and see Chanyeol?” Joonmyun replied. “We kind of gotten into an argument tonight when he scolded me, and he left the apartment. I’m planning of catching the last train tonight. Could you please talk to him? I’m pretty sure he’s at the apartment’s rooftop right now.”

“Sure, anything, Joonmyun-ah.” Baekhyun answered.

“Thank you so much again, Baekhyun,” Joonmyun said. “I know I’m such a burden to you right now. I promise I’ll make it right.”

“Don’t say that,” Baekhyun said. “You’re my friend. You’ll never be a burden, okay?”

 

When Baekhyun made his way to the apartment’s rooftop, he took slow and silent steps so that he would not be able to disturb Chanyeol in whatever he was doing. When he arrived at the top of the stairs and peeked inside, he saw Chanyeol’s tall figure illuminated by the moonlight lying on the rooftop floor with an arm covering his eyes lazily. For some reason, Baekhyun thought that it was the most peaceful moment that he ever saw Chanyeol. Baekhyun did not know what to do, since in all honesty, he did not want to bother the other. He was not even sure if Chanyeol was sleeping or not. That is why he opted to just stand like an idiot at the rooftop doorway, and just wait for Chanyeol to move.

“I know you’re there,” Chanyeol said, still not moving on his spot which caused Baekhyun to jump from his position in surprise. “Whoever you are, if you plan to rob and murder me. I would haunt you. If not, don’t be such a creeper there, stalker.”

“I am not a stalker!” Baekhyun exclaimed as he stomped over to Chanyeol.

“What the actual ?” Chanyeol suddenly sat up in his position. “What are you doing here, Baekhyun?!”

“Joonmyun-ah asked me to check up on you.” Baekhyun said and Chanyeol immediately turned away.

“That guy,” Chanyeol mumbled. “Did he leave already?”

“Yes,” Baekhyun said as he takes a seat beside Chanyeol and lied on the ground. Chanyeol who after seeing Baekhyun’s action followed suit. “He’s worried about you, though. Why did you two fight anyway?”

Chanyeol scoffed. “I kind of scolded him about the Yixing thing….”

“Kind of?” Baekhyun asked skeptically.

“Okay,” Chanyeol complied. “Maybe more than kind of.”

Baekhyun sighed. “Well, you have to understand. You know the history of those two.”

“I do understand.” Chanyeol said. “I’m just really worried at that time. I didn’t really know what I was saying exactly.”

Baekhyun hummed in agreement. The two of them fell into a comfortable silence, while watching the starry sky. Baekhyun did not say anything further and absentmindedly stared at each and individual stars his eyes would set on. It had been so long since he felt this peace and tranquility in his mind and heart. For a few minutes, Baekhyun was able to calm down, to really calm down. It was as if the world does not exist beyond this rooftop.

“Baekhyun,” Chanyeol suddenly mumbled. “Have you ever made a really huge life changing decision?”

Baekhyun turned slightly at Chanyeol and he saw that the other had his right arm covering his eyes once again. “Yeah, a lot. I think I’ve already made so many life changing decisions to last me a lifetime, actually.”

“Oh,” Chanyeol replied shortly.

“Why, is something bothering you?” Baekhyun asked as he lied sideways that he was really facing Chanyeol now.

“Kind of…” Chanyeol answered. “What do you do when that happens?”

Baekhyun shrugged. “I’m not really sure how… It really depends on the situation.”

“I guess.” Chanyeol said simply as he removed his arms from his face and turned to look at Baekhyun.

And as the two of them locked gazes with each other, Baekhyun finally see Chanyeol clearly. It caught him off guard as he looked at the taller boy’s expression. There was worry in his eyes that he could not describe. It was the one that was highlighted by the light of the moon. As Baekhyun took in every detail of Chanyeol’s visage, he realized the vulnerability that the latter was exuding right now. The moments when Chanyeol comforted him flashed before his very eyes.  Unconsciously, without any regards to the whole world, Baekhyun moved closer and reached out to Chanyeol, finally pulling the latter closer to him. He wrapped his arm to the other as if protecting him from the worry that Chanyeol was experiencing right now. Their position might seem awkward right now, but Baekhyun would not have it any other way. He felt relief when Chanyeol obliged and buried his nose under Baekhyun’s chin. He heard Chanyeol breathed out a sigh of relief, and for Baekhyun it was enough.

Under the evening sky, Baekhyun whispers words of comfort to Chanyeol as the both of them unconsciously tighten their hold of one another.


 

Hey everyone!! I really want to say sorry to all of you because I updated this late. >,< I’m really, really, really sorry. There are so many things that happened to me these past few months that I only had a breather recently. So how are you guys?

Thank you so much for you guys who waited for me. This update’s for all of you! If you have any questions, feel free to talk to me!

i KNOW. I KNOW. So many drama and cheesiness (yes, hunhan, im looking at you!) in this chapter. I'm a sleep deprived right now to enumerate the things I want to comment on. I'll just wait for your reactions to see if we share some thoughts. :))

I think I’ll be able to update more frequently now. Hopefully!! Please continue you’re support!

Comments and subscription are highly appreciated! Thank you so much!

Till next update! Love you all! *hugs and kisses*

Jaa~

P.S. Oh, and I also opened a twitter account. You can follow me here !!! I’m a twitter addict really, and I made this account so that I’ll be able to talk with you guys more. I swear I'll follow back if you want to.

And another thing, I also made a tumblr account, but I might need your help in here. I had an account before, but I used it mainly to find some photos and you know, reblog and stuff like that, but now, I want to create posts and blah-blah… I just don’t know how! T_T I don’t even have a decent theme…orz so if anyone would be kind enough to teach me how to use it and stuff… I’ll love you forever! <333 Thank you!!