Chapter Twenty-Three

Unwritten

Kyungsoo smiled sheepishly as Kai planted another kiss on his lips, giggling a little bit as the younger’s hot breath tickled his neck. Kai’s forehead, slick with sweat, pressed against Kyungsoo’s, making him squirm. “You’re sweaty,” Kyungsoo said uncomfortably.

Kai smirked. “You didn’t seem to mind it when I screwed you.”

“Cocky brat.”

“Might as well write it on my forehead,” Kai teased, kissing Kyungsoo on the lips once again before standing up and straightening his t-shirt. They were in the abandoned studio again, the wood floors creaking as both of them sat upright. Kyungsoo stretched his stiff limbs, finally cooled down from his run of the song. He wasn’t very confident in his audition pieces, but it was getting somewhere.

Kai grabbed his things, looking over at his tired lover. “I have an idea. Why don’t we get cleaned up at our own houses, and then I’ll meet you at the old lake outside of town?”

“Sounds fair.”

They embraced and got into the cars they arrived in. Kyungsoo ignited the engine and made his way home, his thoughts still in the dance studio with Kai basically on top of him, his lips gently moving all over Kyungsoo’s jaw. Those were the moments that he craved to have forever.

He took one of the quickest showers he managed, getting dressed in a grey t-shirt and jeans. He put on Kai’s hat that he never gave back—or wanted to, anyway—and pulled his dancer necklace from under the shirt he just put on. Kyungsoo all but ran out to his car, not even bothering with his seatbelt since the lake was only two or three minutes away from his home.

When he arrived, it was desolate.

Perfect.

Kyungsoo hesitated, looking for Kai, but finalized that he wasn’t there and got out. He smiled in victory that he was the first done. Over the weeks, Kyungsoo had become more competitive with the younger, to the point where the winner got whatever he wanted as a reward. Most of them were kisses, occasionally with tongue involved, but nothing further. They hadn’t called any deals before they left the studio, though, so he didn’t win.

Kai wasn’t far behind. His red car pulled up to the lake’s parking lot, and when he stepped out, he noticed that his hair looked newly redone and he looked fresher than Kyungsoo felt. His main focus, though, was what Kai was hiding behind his back.

He joined Kyungsoo and sat down inches from the clear water. Kyungsoo was now able to see what was behind his back; it was a single red rose, looking like it was freshly picked. Kyungsoo raised his eyebrow. “What’s that for?”

“It’s for you; duh.”

Kyungsoo took it, looking uncertain. “Why’d you bring me this?”

“As a symbol. When that dies is when I’ll stop loving you.”

Now Kyungsoo became afraid. “Flowers don’t live very long!”

Kai laughed. “Aish, so naïve. Did you ever feel the flower’s texture?”

Kyungsoo rubbed his thumb across the stem, realizing that it was… plastic. “This is fake.”

“Exactly.”

Catching on, Kyungsoo smiled. “You’re cheesy.”

“You’re cute.”

Kyungsoo smiled and put the rose beside him, interlinking fingers with Kai and lying down in the grass. Kai followed, and soon they stared up at the clear sky, the half full moon shining brightly from above. The auditions were tomorrow; they decided to get some time in together before nerves overtook their souls. “You know…” Kai hesitated, and eventually trailed off.

“What?”

“If this, uh, if this audition goes right, we can’t really… be together.”

Kyungsoo sat up. “What?!”

Kai sat up as well, frantically trying to explain. “That’s not what I meant! It’s just that, SM has this strict policy that idols can’t date idols, and, if we end up in the same group, even debuting in different groups… we either separate or hide it very, very well.”

“SM won’t find out. They’re not going to track down what we do in our down time.”

“You never know.”

They lie back down, and Kyungsoo shifted. “I don’t think I’m going to make it tomorrow, so, trust me, we’ll still be together. There’s no rule against an idol dating a fan,” he teased, but Kai wasn’t entertained.

“Come on, don’t bag on yourself. You’re going to make it tomorrow. And you’re going to be very good.”

“How do you know? I could succumb to pressure and roll on the floor and sob until security drags me out by the feet.”

Kai laughed and pressed his face into Kyungsoo’s shoulder. “You and I know that would never happen. You have less stage fright than I do.”

“I just can’t seem to get into the right mind set for this.”

“Trust me, it’ll be there tomorrow. Just relax, get a lot of sleep, and be there bright and early. They like someone that’s there before time. Joonmyun said so.”

“Alright, alright. So why did you want us to come here?”

“It’s peaceful.”

“Understandable.”

It was quiet and no one moved until Kai rolled over on his side, facing Kyungsoo. Confused, he looked up at the younger, but he said nothing. Just lifted a single finger and began writing things on Kyungsoo’s clothed stomach. He lie his head back down and closed his eyes, trying to concentrate on what Kai was drawing or saying.

“That was a heart,” Kyungsoo blurted out, breaking the silence.

“Correct.”

He continued, and Kyungsoo laughed at the next one. “You are so y?”

Kai chuckled. “Well, it’s true.”

The finger continued again, and when he was done, Kyungsoo smiled and looked up at him. “I love you.”

“That’s right. I do.”

“The phrase ‘I love you’ is so overused, thrown around like it’s nothing. There are only a few people on the Earth that you can truly say you love. Your parents, your siblings, your spouse, your kids. Now a days people are saying that they love their friends or people they’re ‘dating’ after the first hour. I mean, you can’t really find people who mean it,” Kyungsoo blabbered, unsure of what made him say that.

Kai listened, though, and when he finished, smiled faintly. “Well, I can honestly say that I love you. Whether we don’t work out or we end up married, you’re my first true love, and I can’t completely forget you. Ever,” he explained, kissing him on the cheek. “Understand?”

“Understand.”

“Good.” He paused. “Hey, Kyungsoo?”

“What?”

“I love you.”

Kyungsoo laughed and playfully pushed him. “I love you too.”

~*~

This was it. This was the time. This was the day that everything that was prepared was put to the ultimate test. Kyungsoo was trembling as he signed in to the SM building, joining the crowd to audition in a few minutes with Kai by his side, who was more of a wreck than he was.

They sat down in the main room, the upbeat chatter surrounding their silence. Kai suddenly gripped his hand, his finger nails digging into Kyungsoo’s palms. He winced. “Ow, Kai, you’re hurting me.”

Realizing his mistake, Kai instantly let go, anxious. He let out a breathy, almost shaky laugh. “Oh, sorry.”

“Relax, Jongin. You’re going to be great. Most of these people are just trying out for the sake of trying out. They haven’t trained or are as mentally and physically prepared as you are. You’ve got this in the bag,” Kyungsoo assured him, which just seemed to slide in one ear and out the other for the shaking younger.

“Yeah, yeah.”

A young man in a business suit stepped up to the tiny stage in front of the screen that was playing muted SM music videos. He put his mouth to the microphone. “Would all girls of age eighteen follow me to the audition room? It’s your turn.”

Instantly, Kai got even more anxious. It was girls then boys, going by age groups. Kai would be next. “Oh my god,” he whispered under his breath. “This isn’t happening. I’m so scared.”

“You’ll be fi—“ Kyungsoo was cut off when someone put their hands on Kai’s shoulders, making him all but jump straight out of his seat. The person laughed. “A bit scared, huh, Jongin?”

Kyungsoo looked up and smiled. Joonmyun had come, probably to wish him good luck.

Kai groaned, embarrassed. “Don’t you have trainee stuff to go do?”

“Nope. I’ve got free time right now, so I came down here.” He turned his attention to Kyungsoo. “Hey, you. Are you as bad off as he is?”

“Not even close,” Kyungsoo laughed.

“Good, good. You guys are going to do fine. I’m off to go get some food. I’ll see you when I get home, Jongin. Bye, Kyungsoo,” he added before leaving the room. There was silent hand holding until the same man entered the room, making Kai start whimpering.

“Would all boys of age eighteen follow me to the audition room? You’re up.”

“Alright, Kai. Keep your head up and blow them away, understand me?” Kyungsoo growled, gripping his shoulders. Speechless, Kai nodded weakly and stood up, giving the belongings in his pocket to Kyungsoo and following the other boys of his age group out the door.

Now, they wait.

It was over in fifteen minutes. The boys came back in, and Kai shuffled back to his seat. Kyungsoo didn’t take his eyes away from the shaken boy. He didn’t look like his confident self anymore; he looked like a terrified little boy. “How was it?” Kyungsoo mumbled.

“It actually wasn’t bad, but… I can’t stop shaking.” Then he started crying.

The only other time he had seen Kai cry was when he had woken up from hearing he failed his exams; this was because of something totally different. They drew attention as Kyungsoo pulled him into his arms, comforting him with silence.

When the nineteen year old boys were called, he still wouldn’t stop. He regretfully pulled away and joined his group, watching as Kai began sniffling and trying to get under control. This was his time, though. And he couldn’t let Kai screw up another thing he wanted.

The room was the same as he had read about; mirrorless with a row of judges watching. There was a stereo in the corner, and a camera angled straight at him. A backdrop stood with an X in front of it in tape. Kyungsoo assumed his position on the X and bowed his respectful ninety degrees, handing his CD to the cameraman to put in the stereo.

He sang first, and danced. Kyungsoo was confident as the judges looked a little happier than they did when he walked in. As he finished, he bowed with a grin. However, he was stopped by one of the woman judges. “May I ask why your shoulder is wet?”

Kyungsoo had forgotten about that. “Oh, um, my friend was crying earlier—“

“Just wondering. Thank you.”

Kyungsoo stopped his thought and bowed quickly before walking out.

He had this.

There was no way he wouldn’t get in.

~*~

Well, I ain't dead.

I spent the weekend with my friend, which ended in me getting sick with a stomach bug. I went back to school yesterday, and now I'm off for Christmas break! :D Just in case I don't post before the big man's birthday, merry Christmas! <3

Please comment~ Thank you!