Chapter Ten

Unwritten

Kyungsoo had never felt more awkward in his life.

He wasn’t sure what exactly he was doing; the only other parties he had been to before this had been birthday parties. He hadn’t seen Jongdae since their short greeting, Chanyeol and Baekhyun were nowhere to be found, and he had managed to lose Kai ten minutes in.

So he quietly sipped at a beer, sitting in the hallway upstairs.

This house was huge, but the upstairs was completely vacant except for Kyungsoo.  Everyone else was partying downstairs. He was leaning against the door to a hall closet, his knees close to his chest, a sigh escaping his lips as he took another sip.

He was starting to get a little lightheaded, but nothing that wouldn’t wear off soon. He’d never drunken more than one beer in his life, so he knew that when this was done, that was his limit. Besides, the fact that Kai had strayed away worried Kyungsoo more than anything.

Who knew how drunk he was or what he was doing?

He hoped he wasn’t; Kyungsoo didn’t know Kai well enough to be able to deal with that.

Kyungsoo took another drink, before noticing that it was almost empty anyway. He drank the last few drops and threw the bottle down the stairs. It rolled lazily until it reached the floor; someone would smash it on another’s head eventually.

He did not want to be here anymore.

When footsteps were heard going up the stairs, Kyungsoo didn’t really see who it was, since their head was down and they were stumbling so heavily. Kyungsoo stood up to help the person, when they looked up and right into Kyungsoo’s eyes. He gasped.

It was Kai.

“…” he groaned, staring at Kai. “What the hell? You weren’t supposed to drink so much!”

Kai said nothing; the look in his eyes shut Kyungsoo up immediately. The look confused him; he looked completely transfixed by Kyungsoo, his lips curling into a sick, idea-filled smirk. “Sorry.”

When Kai inched forward, Kyungsoo stepped back.

He wasn’t stupid; that slurred apology meant he was up to something.

Suddenly, even in his zombie-like state, Kai had Kyungsoo against the closet door, a menacing look in his eyes as he pinned Kyungsoo’s wrists level to the top of his ears. “You’re so beautiful when you’re scared,” Kai whispered, his entire sentence almost unidentifyingly slurred.

“Kai, please don’t,” Kyungsoo whimpered.

Unexpectedly, Kai didn’t make any move to do a thing. He just continued staring into Kyungsoo’s eyes, wide from fear, and examining his every feature. He did this on a daily basis; why was he doing it when he was drunk? “I knew I was right falling in love with you,” he slurred.

Kyungsoo stiffened.

He loved Kai too; but this didn’t seem like the right time to admit that.

Kyungsoo wasn’t ready for any of this. He wasn’t ready for Kai to fall in love with him. He wasn’t ready for Kai to kiss him. He wasn’t ready to call Kai his. He wasn’t ready for actually dates with Kai as a couple.

He wasn’t ready for any of this.

How he had managed to trick himself in to thinking he was all this time, he had no idea.

He could only pray that there was a way out of this before Kai did something that he wouldn’t remember in the morning, but Kyungsoo would. He would always remember this night, whether it ends here or it goes farther than he ever thought.

Kai took a break from his staring when he heard voices ascending up the stairs. Kyungsoo heard them too. It sounded like two guys. It was hard to identify who it was due to the music downstairs, but the conversation was obvious.

“Do you think he’s up here?”

“I doubt it.”

“Well, he’s nowhere downstairs! He couldn’t have ditched, he brought that Kai kid!”

When Baekhyun and Chanyeol’s faces appeared at the top of the staircase, red cups in their hands, Kyungsoo breathed out the biggest breath of relief he had in years.

Their faces changed in unison; at first it was joy that they had tracked down Kyungsoo, and in the next second, it turned to Baekhyun looking awkward and Chanyeol looking a very exaggerated shock. “Uh… we’re not interrupting anything, are we?”

Kai opened his mouth to something, but Kyungsoo quickly blurted out “No!”, squirming out of Kai’s grip and rushing over to the safety of his friends. He hated to say it, but he was pretty terrified of his own date here.

Chanyeol and Baekhyun stared at their friend weird as Kai stumbled into the closet door. That’s when Kyungsoo realized that Kai most likely wasn’t going to do anything; he was using Kyungsoo as balance. Kyungsoo looked down at his throbbing wrists.

That would explain the hard grip.

“Who is that, anyway?” Baekhyun whispered in Kyungsoo’s ear, even though Kyungsoo doubted that Kai could hear them anyway. He was slumped on the ground, and Kyungsoo doubted he was conscious.

“That… that would be Kai.”

Baekhyun and Chanyeol’s eyes immediately widened and stared at Kyungsoo.

“That filthy drunk is the competition for Jongdae?” Chanyeol questioned, looking completely appalled. When Kyungsoo nodded numbly, Chanyeol just scoffed and walked back downstairs without a word. Baekhyun, however, stayed, and wrapped a firm arm around Kyungsoo’s stiff shoulders.

“Hey, it’s okay, ignore him,” Baekhyun assured. “Chanyeol’s dramatic when he’s shocked. I’m sure he’ll warm up to Kai when he’s not… you know, wasted.”

Kyungsoo chuckled. “Thanks, Baekhyun.”

Baekhyun nodded, proud of himself. “My pleasure. Now get the drunk home.”

He walked back stairs, leaving Kyungsoo alone with Kai. He tried to groan to Baekhyun, but he was already downstairs, all but deaf from the pounding music. Kyungsoo slowly made his way over to Kai, awkwardly bending down and shaking his shoulder. “Yah. Kim Jongin. Wake up.”

Nothing.

He was out.

Kyungsoo had tried many times after that, but Kai wouldn’t get up for anything. He had resulted to the last thing he could think of. Hell, he wasn’t even sure if he could actually do it.

He had to give Kai a piggyback ride.

Kind of.

Kyungsoo grabbed an arm, throwing it over his shoulders. He managed to make Kai’s limp body stand up, but his knees were bent and he would fall down the stairs if Kyungsoo weren’t holding him. Kyungsoo instantly felt regretful. Why did he let Kai go alone and off drinking?

He grunted as he stepped down the stairs, butterflies rising in his chest when he almost lost his balance. Luckily, though, he barely moved. He got another five before a relapse, but he managed to catch himself then, too. He successfully made it down the stairs after several minutes.

When Kyungsoo heard Kai groan softly, he immediately got hopeful, but when he tilted Kai’s limp head up, he was still completely passed out.

God dammit.

Ignoring the stares of the partiers outside, he more or less dragged Kai off the acre and to Kyungsoo’s car. He breathed a sigh of relief when he threw Kai into the passenger seat. He was going to put Kai’s seatbelt on, but he was already so worn out, he couldn’t be bothered.

Kyungsoo ignited the car and drove off.

Good riddance.

~*~

By the time Kyungsoo got to his apartment (there was no use taking Kai to his true home), Kai had somewhat come to, although he was still extremely disorienting. Kyungsoo was convinced that one more drink and he would’ve been poisoned.

He never thought he’d see Kai like this.

He, once again, helped Kai into his apartment and threw him onto the couch. Kai was startled, but then started giggling madly as Kyungsoo threw a blanket over him, pulling his shoes off in the process. Aish, Kyungsoo thought. Why the hell didn’t I just leave him there?

Kai continued to giggle, his words slurred. “You’re y.”

“Shut up, Jongin.”

“B-But you call me Kai, not Jongin!” Kai whined, pulling the blanket up to his chin and jutting his bottom lip out. Kyungsoo simply ignored the pout, crossing his arms and looming over Kai’s form.

“I ignore nicknames when I’m pissed.”

Kai frowned. “You’re mad at me?”

“You weren’t supposed to get this drunk!” Kyungsoo cried out, throwing his arms up. Kai mumbled another cute little apology, but Kyungsoo ignored him when there was a low buzzing from his pocket. He pulled his cell phone out, reading the caller ID.

Jongdae

.

Kyungsoo worked up the courage to answer the phone, muttering a quick “Yoboseyo?”, his eyes still on the giggly bastard laying on his couch.

“Yah! Where the hell are you?! I’ve been looking for you for half an hour! The party’s almost over!” Kyungsoo could hear the music in the background faintly, so he guessed Jongdae was on the front lawn or something.

“I, uh… went home.”

There was a brief silence. “Why did you go home? I barely got to see you!”

“I had a, uh…” Kyungsoo looked away from Kai and at the closed window. “Something came up, so I had to go home and take care of it.”

“Like what?”

“I can’t tell you. I have to go.”

“Okay then… I’ll see you in class on Monday?”

“Yeah, you will. Bye, Jongdae.”

“Bye.”

Kyungsoo hung up the phone, setting it down on the counter. He turned back to Kai, who was suddenly fast asleep, his mouth open and his arm hanging off the edge of the couch.

Kyungsoo chuckled and turned out the lights in the living room, going to his own room for the night.

~*~

Umg. >.<

I'm SO sorry it's been over a week since I've updated! School's driving me nuts. ._.

Anywho, I hope you enjoyed! Please comment! :D

<3