Chapter Five

I Can't Like You....Can I?

At lunch, Luna glared her food to death and chewed with much anger. "Hey, Sunyoung, what's wrong?" Her best friend, Jinri, or Sulli (a nickname by Amber) asked. Luna glared at the younger. "Don't call me that!"

 

The other four sitting at the table jumped her tone. "Whoa, calm down." Soojung, more commenly known as Krystal, widened her eyes and told her friend to breathe.

 

"Don't tell me what to do." Luna seemed really pissed off, though nobody knew why but herself. "Luna, what's wrong?" Song Qian, or Victoria, something Krystal nicknamed her, asked. Luna took a deep breathe before opening her eyes, pointing to a girl of the hair color cherry blonde.

 

"She happened." Krystal's expression darkened, but didn't glare. Calmly, she asked, "What did she do?"

 

"She talked to Jonghyun, that's what. He seemed really into her and I don't like it."

 

"Well, what if they're just friends?" Krystal asked, trying to defend her sister. Luna snorted and crossed her arms. "They were talking and laughing and I just don't like it! She's obviously trying to get his attention and I want to put a stop to it!"

 

"Luna, first off, you and Jonghyun aren't even together, so you shouldn't even care. Secondly, you need to stop bad mouthing every girl who talks to him; it's rude and I'm sure you wouldn't like people doing it to you." Krystal shot back, getting a nod from Victoria.

 

"Why do you even care? You sure never did before, so why now? .... You don't like Jonghyun, do you? Because if you do, trust me, I won't hesitate to-" She was cut off by Krystal abruptly standing and throwing her hands up in the air. 

 

"Shut! Up! Shut up! Just shut it!" Krystal yelled, getting looks from people walking by. Full on glaring at Luna, she scoffed and began picking up her stuff, Victoria doing the same, also pretty disappointed in Luna.

 

"Why do you care so much about this girl? She's just another stu-" Luna began again, but the look Krystal shot at her made her shut up. "You just don't understand, do you? That's my older sister, you idiot! Of course I'd defend her and care about what you say about her!"

 

With that, both Krystal and Victoria started walking away, but not without Krystal turning back and saying one last thing. "And just so you know, Jessica isn't going after Jonghyun; she has a loving boyfriend of two years that'd never leave her, and she'd never leave him." Then she was gone, and Victoria, too

 

Luna huffed a breath. "C'mon, Sulli, let's go. Amber, you coming?" Amber looked up from the book she was reading and shook her head. "Nope. I'm not getting into this." Luna rolled her eyes and walked away, Sulli following after her. 

 

Meanwhile on the other side of the cafeteria, Jonghyun was sitting with his best friends, laughing at some joke Onew said. He was glad that he had managed to get away from what he called the she-devil. She was driving him a wall with her extreme clinginess. His friends didn't have to ask when he came over to them after class, exhausted. They knew exactly what had happened and did their best to lighten the mood, with Onew cracking a few lame jokes.

 

Jonghyun was thankful for his friends. Without them, he didn't know who would be able to keep him level headed with the she-devil around. They knew exactly what to say and do at the right time. As Jonghyun continued laughing, he caught sight of the cherry blonde sitting a few tables away with her own friends. He had managed to catch her eye and gave her a small smile to which she had responded with a smile of her own. 

 

Key was about to say something when he noticed Jonghyun's lack of attention. He followed his gaze to the cherry blonde before looking back at his hyung with a smirk. The rest of the guys noticed Key's smirk as he motioned to Jonghyun and the girl he had been staring at. Soon they had all been sporting the same smirk, looking at Jonghyun mischievously. 

 

Jonghyun turned his attention back to his friends with a smile on his face. However his smile immediately dropped as he took in their smirks. He narrowed his eyes, curious at their expressions. "Why are you all smirking at me like that?" He asked suspiciously.

 

"Oh, it's nothing," Key responded casually. Jonghyun grew wary. Something was up, he just knew it.

 

"I'm pretty sure it's anything but nothing," Jonghyun responded. 

 

Taemin tilted his head at this. "No, you're right. It is more than nothing." Then he pointed to the cherry blonde hair that stood out among most of the students. "Who's she?"

 

Jonghyun followed where Taemin was pointing and lightly chuckled, jabbing a thumb in the same direction. "Her? That's Jessica. She's just a friend." Key nodded, taking a sip of his drink. "Uh huh, 'friend'." Jonghyun turned back around to glare at his best friend.

 

"Yes, friend. I just met her, like, yesterday." He shook his head. "Plus, I think she has a boyfriend, so...." He threw his hands up and took Key's drink, taking a sip of his own before handing it back.

 

"You're so into her though, aren't you?" Minho asked, his mouth slightly full of the chips he was eating. "Dude, swallow first, I don't want you spitting chewed up chips at me." Jonghyun made a face and scooted away from the taller male. "But, no, no I'm not. I barely know her."

 

"So?" Onew asked, shrugging. "I barely knew Taeyeon for a few weeks before dating her. What's the difference?" Wow, these guys weren't even helping. At all. Jonghyun sighed before answering. "The difference is, you knew Taeyeon for nearly a month, not a few weeks. A month. I've known Jessica for a day. If I asked her out she's probably going to think I'm some sorta of playboy, which I'm not. And you guys know that."

 

He glanced over at the cherry blonde again, catching her laughing at something her short haired friend said. "Plus, I said I think she has a boyfriend already, so she's out of the count." He saw Taemin wanting to say something, so he spoke before he could. "That's it, end of discussion."

 

Jonghyun grabbed some of the chips Minho had and stuffed them in his mouth, covering his lips so he wouldn't spit anything out. "So, how's everybody else's day going so far?"

 

And thus, the conversation became mundane as they complained about their classes from that morning. All thoughts of Jessica seemed to be forgotten by the others. Except for Jonghyun, who tried his hardest not to glance at her way for the rest of the lunch period.