the wave pool

Caribbean Bay Escapade

            I was just taking the day to spend with my sister at Caribbean Bay with my sister, Jieun. We’re just visiting our parent’s home country for a couple weeks and this is the first place that we wanted to go to. The first thing my sister wanted to do there was the Wave Pool.

            We treaded water in the deepest are of the pool and waited for the horn to announce the waves. It was so crowded as we swam around waiting.

“Crap, Suzy, I just kicked someone.” I said laughing.

“Waah, Jieun, I think that guy touched my .” She said to me freaked out.

            The both of us swam away from this group of guys swimming. Around us was a couple making out, another group of guys, but they looked around our age, a group of adult friends, and a group of girls who were screaming in anticipation. The horn rang and we all started freaking out.

            The first wave of waves was soft, it felt like a real current pulling you from the short. The second wave was big, it pushed everyone in the water back. When the big wave came, I screamed at the top of my lungs. When it had passed, I noticed a guy with a bunch of his friends laughing at me. I pouted. The waves calmed down and so did I.

“What? Was that it?” We started swimming back to the artificial shore. A bunch of other people did too.

            When we got to where we could stand, we stood. All of a sudden, the horn rang again. A giant wave that was bigger than me came at us, but since I was standing, it crashed into me and knocked me over, instead of letting me ride it.

Suzy laughed so hard at me.

“What an idiot.” She said, cracking up.

We continued walking away.

“Sis, let’s stay, what if there’s another wave?” She whined.

“No, look, it’s over, people are getting out.” I told her.

When we got to where the water reached to only our ankles, another horn sounded and an even bigger wave came at us. By the time it reached us though, it was only about a foot tall. I struggled to not fall over. I didn’t succeed. Again I fell over on my . I got up quick, hoping no one saw me. To check, I looked around.

The same guy and his friends were laughing. I pulled Suzy’s arm.

“Let’s go. Let’s go. Let’s go. Let’s go.” I kept repeating until we were out of their sights. “That was so embarrassing.” I sighed.

“What?” The oblivious Suzy asked me.

“That cute guy was laughing at me falling.” I pouted.

“Oh yeah, the one with the nice skin and black hair? He was pretty hot.” She replied.

“Well, anyways, where do you wanna go next, Jieun?” She asked me.

“Let’s go into the Lazy Pool for awhile. I want to relax.” I answered.

            As soon as we got there,  Suzy jumped right it. Cautious, I stuck my foot in the water.

“Kyaah! It’s cold!” I screamed, causing the little kids to laugh at me.

“Sis, bring me one of the inner tubes.” I pleaded.

Suzy, who was already comfortable in her own, refused.

“Get in yourself! It’s not that cold.” She laughed evilly.

I stuck my foot in again.

“YES IT IS!!!” I whined.

            I saw the same boy and his friends swimming down the Lazy Pool towards us. I gestured Suzy to turn around, and I did the same, looking away from them, trying not to embarrass myself again. I stood at the stairs entrance and looked away. I felt a splash on the back of my legs. I turned around to see who had done it. When I turned around, it was the same boy with the nice skin. He got out from his inner tube and pushed it towards me.

“Hey, do you want my tube?” He offered me.

“Oh no, I’m okay, thank you though.” I smiled awkwardly.

“Then how about you get it and swim with us?” He said smirking.

I stuck both my feet in the water, then jumped out. It was seriously TOO cold.

“Is it too cold for you?” He said, trying not to chuckle.

I shook my head.

“Then get in.” The boy taunted.

“Okay, fine, give me the tube.” I pouted.

He laughed as he came closer to hand it to me.

“I’ll hold it steady so you can get in, okay?” The boy said, holding the inner tube still.

“I can do it myself, thank you.” I retorted.

“Okay, then…” He said, smirking again.

            I put both my hands on the inner tube, steadying it, then twisted my body to sit in it without touching the water. All I had to do was lift my arm and sit down. As I lifted my arm, I realized my poor arm strength. The other arm collapsed and I fell face forward into the water. My whole body was submerged. Under the water, I was kicking and screaming silently. The freezing water felt like ice on my skin.

            Suddenly, I felt my body come out of the water.

“Are you alright?” The black haired boy asked me. We were face to face. I squealed when I realized that I was in his arms.

“Let me go!” I squealed.

“Are you sure you want me to do that?” He asked.

I thought about it for a second.

“No, I don’t.” I sighed.

“That’s what I thought.”