chapter 6

The child's wish

A tired sighed escaped from Soojin's mouth as she dropped to her couch. It has been close to a week of continuous trip back and forth from the hospital, the hospital where her young niece laid, unresponsive in a comatose state. There weren't any improvements at all, no signs of her showing any muscle movements, nothing. Dr. Kim, Yoobin's attending doctor has assured the young girl's family that he would be trying his utmost best to treat her.  

But even with the assurance of a veteran doctor, there's only so much that the doctor's and their equipments could do. It wasn't a guarantee that they could nurse Yoobin's health back and even then, even if she were to recover, would she be able to walk again? With a sheer force of a 4000 pound car ramming into the body of such a fragile little girl her age, it would take a miracle. 

A miracle. 

Soojin frowned, she detested the word. For someone to say that they needed a miracle over a situation, it was as good as them giving in to their doubts, to affirm themselves that no matter what they could do to try and turn the situation around in their favor, it would in the end proved futile and rendered redundant, which in turn makes one yearn for a miracle to turn their situation around, to tapped into whatever false sense of security one longs for in some divine/omnipotent being which didn’t even exist at all. Or rather, that’s what Soojin believes. She stopped believing in God years ago over a certain tragedy that happened, something not even her family members knew about. 

Soojin heaved out another sigh. 

"To hell with that damn miracle." She mutters to herself as she leaned back against her couch, letting the drowsiness carry her into an uncomfortable sleep. 

-- 

Soojin knew she had feelings for Siwon, she always had. She knew since the very beginning. The way she spoke to him, the way she acted in front of him, the way she goes all flustered and tensed whenever he was around. Her friend was dead crazy over him.  

At first, she tried to help her win him over, seeing as to how she wanted very much for her friend to pursue her own happiness. Soojin would snatched her phone and help her text Siwon when she was too shy to do so herself. Soojin would set up group outings, which only consisted of her, Siwon and her friend in an attempt to get them to know each other better. There were times where she would purposely bail out on an outing she made between the 3 of them at the last minute, hiding herself somewhere where her friend and Siwon couldn’t see her and then smirking ever so mischievously, thinking herself as the perfect wing-man for both her friends.  

She would constantly ask her how it went after every "date", and every single time without fail, would have to keep encouraging her not to give up on him when he wouldn’t react or behave the way her friend wanted him to act. 

"I-I should just give up." Her friend said dejectedly one particular night after her "date" with siwon.  

Soojin could tell she was starting to lose hope over the situation. Her friend was at her wits end.          

"No come on babe!" Soojin exclaimed. "Do you know how much I invested my time in trying to help set him and you up?!" 

"But, he doesn’t even have a thing for me." She confessed. 

"Then you've got to up your game and get him to see your womanly charms!" Soojin replied. "So what if he doesn’t have a thing for you? You just need to work hard at it. I guarantee you, he will fall for you sooner or later! Be more confident!"  

Yes a perfect wing man she was. 

She told her to never take no for an answer, if she wanted something, she had to fight for it, even if it doesn’t look like it's in her favor. She would continually show her support for her friend, coaching and telling her what to do, to notice Siwon likes & dislikes and whatnot. Her friend would always believe in her and take her advice.  

Soojin thought her plans and advice would make siwon fall for her friend in due time.        

Until one day. 

"Unnie! This is my boyfriend!" Sooyoung proudly announced, arms hooked onto a muscular arm belonging to a very familiar person 

Her mind went blank for god knows how long.  

How could she have not known? The guy her sister has been constantly talking about was none other than her schoolmate choi siwon. Siwon stare back in utter disbelief, an expression shared with the older choi sibling. But as quickly as that came, it was quickly replaced with a wide grin.  

"Oh my God! Soojin is your sister?!" The handsome man exclaimed. 

She was ecstatic about the news, greeting him with such excitement 

But part of her realize what this means. 

That her friend would no longer be able to win this fine gentleman's heart anymore. It was over for her. 

While she was a little disappointed for her friend, she was much happier knowing that Siwon was with her sister. After all, he was very gentlemanly, a man with chivalry and charisma. She was assured her sister would be great hands and taken care of properly. 

It was there at that very moment where she stopped trying to avail any possible help to her friend in wooing Siwon. She didn’t know how she was going to break it to her but she knew she had to, it was the right thing to do. 

So, she found a day to talk to her friend about the situation at hand. They met at a venue Soojin picked. She didn’t speak as first, allowing her friend to rant about those normal girl talks they have when they met. She wasn’t listening though, she was so tuned out of the topic, instead she was trying to find a way on how she was going to tell her about Siwon and Sooyoung.  

"Hey babe, about Siwon." Her friend suddenly mentions.  

Soojin immediately looks at her friend at the mention of Siwon's name. Her attention now back to her. 

"I'm almost this close to getting him to notice me. I can feel it." Her friend announced rather confidently, not knowing what she was about to hear would break her very soul into a million pieces.  

Soojin could only look at her friend with a hint of guilt. Something that didn’t went unnoticed by her friend.  

By then, her friend had come to realize that Soojin wasn’t her usual self. She asked if everything was okay. And with that, Soojin closed her eyes for a moment, before she opened them again, she exhale deeply as she began to speak. 

"Babe." She started. "We need to talk." 

-- 

Everything went downhill after 

She couldn’t accept it, the fact that the very man she worked for so hard had been taken away from her. Soojin tried to reason with her, telling her that there were other men in the world for her, her Mr right was somewhere else. But the poor woman wouldn’t stop crying in bitterness. Soojin placed her hand over her friend's shoulders, only to have them batted away roughly. 

"YOU TOLD ME TO NEVER GIVE UP!" She pointed an accusing finger at Soojin. "YOU WERE THE ONE WHO TOLD ME TO FIGHT TILL THE VERY END!" 

Soojin couldn’t deny that. She was the one who told her to not give up no matter how slim or impossible the chance may be. But this was different, a whole nother story. Siwon was already attached, whats more, to her sister. There wasn’t anything she could do anymore, it would be wrong of her to interfere with their relationship. For a full 5 minutes, Soojin could only stared as her friend envelope herself in her own arms, crying hysterically face flat on the glass round table.  

If she was to describe how her friend look, it would be that she looked so awfully pathetic. She felt sorry for her. 

She lifted her head a moment later after she had calmed down a little. 

"I-I'll continue pursuing him. I won't give him up. He's mine." She said. "That shouldn’t even be with him. Shes not good enough for him." 

Soojin did a double take. Did she just called Sooyoung a ? Was she still planning on chasing after him? 

This wasn’t right.  

What was she going to do? Get in between them and break them apart? No, Soojin couldn’t believe it, was this her friend? Was she always capable of even thinking about something this horrible? Soojin's inner beast manifested at that very moment. To call her sister a when she had nothing to do with whatever was happening to her, that was crossing the damn line. If she had to blame someone or something, it was her own inability to win Siwon over. She had no right to blame her sister, all Sooyoung was doing was pursuing her own happiness. to even think of continuing her pursuit of SIwon way past the line, what was her friend thinking about? was she this much in denial?

Soojin rose from her seat, eyes dangerously fixed on her friend.  

"Don't you dare." Soojin spoke calmly, her voice firm with a sense of authority at the same time. "Call my sister a ." 

The blonde stood up herself this time, choosing to ignore Soojin. She began to grab her belongings, stuffing them into her handbag all the while shedding tears that never seem to end. Her lipstick fell out of her bag and onto the pavement, it rolled to the side of soojin's leather wedges, making a little soft thud on contact. She bent down to reach for it when her friend suddenly screamed for her not to. 

Soojin was startled.  

No, startled wasn’t the right word to use. 

Frightened. She was frightened.  

Frightened by the way her voice sounded. It didn’t sound like anything Soojin recalled. It was so dark and full of rage.  

"Hy-"  

"Shut your mouth." She cut her off, making her way to leave.  

"You have better tell your to watch out. She will wish she haven't stole him from me." She spat. Glaring back at Soojin with such a maciouslous look. Yet another trait Soojin has never seen before. 

With that, she left. Her silhouette slowly but gradually becoming smaller. Soon she was out of sight. Soojin could only stared blankly into thin air. What the hell just happened?

_____

Author's Notes: Woah, so after 4 long years, i finally updated. i just happen to remember i wrote fics and then bammed, i'm back here. So hi guys! :)