chapter iii.

Don't Say Goodbye { hiatus. }

 

                His y lips, his utterly gorgeous eyes.. It was an undisputed fact that Jongin is attractive. Every girl’s ideal man, maybe. Soojung’s mind wandered as she walked down the hallway. Classes had ended, and Soojung’s heart was massively pounding. I adore his sheepish smiles, the way he talks, how his mere voice makes my knees go weak, she thought.

                “Soojung-ah, wait up!” 

                And so her knees went crazy.

Hearing this, Soojung can conclude it was him.

                As she turned her back, she smiled. She was right. “Oh! Do you need anything?” She asked with full concern. Jongin turned to the JV team, signalling that they should leave. Chanyeol gave him a teasing smirk.

                “Well, I was just wondering, about... what I asked you?”

                “Oh, that!” Soojung remembered, as she awkwardly tucked her hair behind her ears. “The... uh... date... but... does the offer still stand?” She says and casts a meaningful look.

                “Yes, yes it does, as long as I have a chance.”

                “Yes, of course. See you later.” Soojung says as if it explains everything. His face falls out of happiness.

 

 

                Soojung was dressing for her most awaited date with the greatest Kim Jongin. She can’t get rid of Jongin’s face out of her mind. She was blurting it all out, how happy she was by dancing and singing.

                I really need to make a good impression on Kim Jongin, but how? What does he like? She wondered, picking out her favourite loose shirt and light denim shorts. Things to wear? Things to bring? Things to say? Should I pretend cute or act normally or should I even say ‘Hi Oppa!’ with aegyo when he arrives?  Soojung you pabo! Keep it cool and Just be yourself. She told herself while facing the mirror.

                She had put on light make-up on her already beautiful face. Soojung wore mascara and eyeliner--which she doesn’t usually use—hoping Jongin would like her y eye smiles. She even used her bright pink lipstick making her lips look more attractive than before.

                As she got out of her room, it was utterly awkward how her eonnie and dongsaeng were staring at her, namely Sooyeon and Baekhyun. “Neo! Soojung-ah! Where do you think you’re going?”  Her sister scolded. “Aish! Don’t mind me, I’m just gonna pass through! Just continue with what you’re doing.” Soojung grinned and convinced her cocky sister. Baekhyun just giggled at the two. “Really, I’m fine. Continue reading.” Soojung continued.

                “Tch. Do you think I’ll let you go that easy?” Her sister stood up and walked around her. Uh! Eonnie! I’m sorry!  I just have a date with Jongin. Now please step aside! I’m in a hurry! He might arrive any minute now! She protested in her mind, not wanting them to know anything about Jongin.

                “Now, since my little princess can’t answer me, you can now wash the dishes, and do the households and maybe then... I’ll let you go out.” Sooyeon told her. “MWO?!” Soojung’s eyes widened. “Eonnie? I can’t! I’ve already dressed up... for something.” She claimed.

                “I don’t care if you are going to such a ridiculous date or whatever... but you... are washing the dishes. If you don’t want me to call mom and say that you are flirting with this mysterious, unknown guy, then follow!” Sooyeon uttered.

                “Fine! I’ll do the job that you are supposed to do!” She yelled, stomping her feet to the place where the apron was placed. Though she wasn’t going to cook she totally does not want to get wet.

                Meanwhile, a car’s tire screeching can already be heard. That’s Jongin! She concluded. Soojung, faster! She commanded herself with a panicking voice.

                Jongin repeatedly used his car’s horn thinking that Soojung cannot hear it. Her sister was already bothered, she can’t understand what she’s reading, she decided to go out and talk to the annoying guy.

                She knocked at his door and shouted, “You! Get out of there! I need to talk to you!” Sooyeon, being the confident one, howled while Jongin went out of his car wearing his embarrassed yet apologetic face. “Oh! I’m sorry. Did I do something wrong?” He said calmly.

                “Ah, no. Really,” Sooyeon said sarcastically. “Just stop using you’re stupid horn!”

“Oh, sorry. Is Soojung ready now?”

“Are you Soojung’s date?”

                “Yes, I am –“ Sooyeon cuts her off.

                “Then shut up! And wait for her! Gosh! The nerve!” She while walking.

                She realized something as she opened the door. His face resembled her idol. But wait... Isn’t that Kim JongIn from my favourite JV football team?! The team captain! Oh my gosh! What have I done?! She turned her back and walk to reach where his car was.

“Is your name Jongin? Are you even playing football? Are you from the JV team?” She asked rapidly with a monotonous voice. “Yeah, yeah, and well yup.” Jongin replied while leaning his back on his car and gave her his famous smirk.

                Jaw dropped, Jung Sooyeon can’t believe she has met her favourite football player. Since Jongin was not only popular at school, probably other countries too, for their team had joined numerous international competitions. You can never take the ball when he has it. Sooyeon just found herself gawking at his presence. She wanted to slap herself.

“Oh, I’m really sorry! I really didn’t mean to brag!” She said in her most apologetic face. “Jongin, I’m your biggest fan! Well, not really, but one of them! Wait here, ok? I’m gonna get my JV fanclub shirt! Sign them for me!” Sooyeon frantically ran to her room and searched for her shirt and her pen for a quick autograph signing.

                She gave it to him and he signed it quickly making Sooyeon want to faint. It’s like a dream come true! Meeting one of the cutest hotties from the JV football Team!

                “Jongin are you still there?!” Soojung asked as he saw her he waved his hand. As Sooyeon turned her back it was her sister.

                “Uh... Eonnie, we better get going.”  Soojung signalled her to get inside.

                Sooyeon with a dumbfounded face just shook her head upside down, she was so jealous about her sister. How can she possibly be dating him? Ugh! He’s mine! Soojung-ah! Sooyeon protested as expected, for she is one of those obsessed fangirls. She may be an ice princess, but she can really do anything for these kinds of things.

                “Shall we go now?” Jongin asked as he opens the door for Soojung.

                “Yeah, sure.” Soo jung said with a sweet voice.

                Jongin drove with a calm face. Or should I say, a fake calm face. They were both panicking. What should they say? What should they do? Who would speak first? What if they mess this up?

                “Hey,” they said in unison.

                “Okay, you go first.” Soojung muttered.

“Honestly, I really don’t want to take you to some fancy restaurant or something like beach walking. I want this date to be special, not just a common date..”

                Oh, please. Stop saying those Jongin, I beg you. I don’t want to faint. Soojung told herself while secretly giggling inside her and hiding her smile from him. She was thrilled about what he said, and how sweet he was.

“Yeah! Me too! I mean it’s okay to do the same thing but it would be nice if we’ll try something different, something new.” Soojung rapidly remarked. “So.. what are we going to do?”

                Jongin stopped the engine of his car and parked it at the other side of the road. Soojung was left wondering. What are we doing here?

                Jongin opened the back of his car, got his ball, then he tossed it to Soojung after she got herself out. He handed her a bat. She was open-mouthed so she asked “What am I suppose to do with these?”

                “I’m teaching you how to play baseball.” JongIn said while grinning.

                “What? I love baseball but... I’ve never tried this thing before. You know, I just handled scorecards for my dad.” She explained. “But I really want to learn.” She smiled.

                And so they strolled through the field. Jongin has put on his baseball cap with ‘JV’ imprinted on top. No one else was there, for he had rented the whole place for the day.

                Jongin stood beside Soojung and asked her to hold the bat. He awkwardly wrapped his arms around hers. Though Soojung was quite sure about it, if you’re teaching someone how to hit, it isn’t necessary to be this close. She isn’t complaining though. Glad, even. She was just staring at his hands and his face, taking in Jongin’s advices from time to time.

                 “Since we don’t have a team, I’m just gonna teach you how to play: basics.” Jongin’s voice turned to a serious one, feeling like a real baseball coach. He even hired a pitcher, since Soojung has mentioned she prefers batting than throwing.

“One tip: In playing you have to keep your eyes on the ball.” focus, when it’s time, then strike the ball. Keep your head in the game but if you wanna be a better hitter, you have to practice, often. Now try.”

                This is it. Keep it steady, Soojung. You can’t fail.  She raised the bat upward and swung it with all her strength.

                “AAAWWWWW!” Soojung turned to Jongin, and found him on the ground groaning in pain.

                “Jongin! Are you alright?! Did I hit you?” She worriedly asked him.

                “Yes, but it’s fine, I’m okay,” Jongin replied, still holding his arm. “Now I’m just gonna take some few steps away, then you swing.” He ordered. Jongin wanted to laugh at her cute mistake if he wasn’t the one who got hit.

 

                Ah, I forgive you, Soojung.

                The pitcher threw, and Soojung successfully batted it, keeping distance from Jongin. They practiced this a few times. Jongin was surprised, Soojung’s a fast learner.

                After a few hours of running and batting, they decided to drink hot coffee leaning their backs on the bench while gazing at the blue skies.

                “Jongin, I hope you don’t mind.. Aren’t you getting exhausted from all this stuff? You know, wanting to just have a normal day and actually study.” She wondered.

                “Of course, I am. Sometimes, during classes I was just hoping that I was at home lying in bed, sleeping, eating and doing some stuff that I wanted to do.” He claimed.

                “It must have been hard for you as the captain of the team..  Pressure and stress is all on you.” She uttered to him with great despair.

                “Save your pity. I like what I’m doing. Scratch that, I love what I’m doing.” Jongin turned to her and smiled. “I feel like my life is almost complete. I just need someone.” Jongin uttered, staring into Soojung’s brown eyes.

                Soojung was busy drinking her coffee but by the time she heard him said those words she was already choking. She was tongue-tied. What does she have to say?

                “You’re not going to say anything?” He suddenly asked.

                “Uh- what? I’m sorry, you were saying?” She pretended.

                He sighed, “I thought so.” He said without another word as he stood up from where he was seated.

                “Ah! What? Jongin! Wait!” She exclaimed.

                He took some walk while trying to lose his disappointment. Perhaps, he was upset. How Soojung pretended that she didn’t hear a thing about what he said, about the way he confessed his feelings for her in a different way.

                Soojung followed him, his feelings can be seen through his face. She felt sorry for him and guilt was also attacking her, of course. She tried to open up something to make him feel better, to make him realize how hard it is for Soojung.

                She ran towards him, and while she was almost near him she uttered softly. “This thing is hard for me Jongin so just please bear with me, this is my first date. I wanted to experience one before but no one ever dared to ask me, apart from you.”

                “Believe it or not.. me too. I’ve never dated a girl before. You made me realize that.. it’s worth trying. I was waiting for the right girl and... you came.” He uttered.

                Soojung was flattered and happy because this Kim Jongin thinks she’s special, though she was, even before she met him and she will always be one.

                “Thank you.” She whispered.

                They gazed into each other’s eyes and smiled. Their date made them more comfortable and truthful with each other. Both were sure about one thing:  It was a date that they won’t forget.