Chapter 5

Blind Beauty

 

To wake up in an unfamiliar place is a frightening event. You don’t know where you are or what happened before you awoke. But for me, waking up in this unfamiliar place made my heart swell with joy and a blush permanently stain my face. Having an eidetic memory unlike most people, I can remember what happened before I awoke.

“I lo-”

What was Jiyong going to say before I out? I tossed and turned under the wool blanket on Jiyong’s bed anxiously. What was it? Ugh think Chaerin think!

“Zzz...” I jolted upright in bed at the sudden sound of light snoring. Huh? A cozy material had been put over my once body. A long sleeved flannel shirt, I concurred. Jiyong’s long sleeved flannel shirt... I giggled. It fit me like a dress. My bra and were put back in their correct places as well. My face flushed. Jiyong changed me... The flush deepened. He saw me !

“Eek!” I shrieked into the hand that flew to my mouth.

“Hn?” I froze. Something made a noise next to me on the bed and shifted tiredly. I reached a hand out and traced the familiar outlines of his abs. Jiyong... He was sleeping on the bed next to me... “Chaerin?”

I retracted my hand. “Y-yes?” I stammered.

“You’re awake,” he noted.

I giggled. “Yeah, I suppose I am.”

“You fainted earlier in the bathroom. Was it the heat?” Jiyong questioned worriedly. Was it the heat? I know I couldn’t say that his rhythmic heartbeat put me to sleep that would be too strange.

“Mmm, yeah it was the heat,” I lied, shooting a fake smile in his direction. Jiyong shifted awkwardly on the bed. “Uh, I see you dried me off and changed my clothes,” I said, changing the subject. “Thanks for that.”

“You’re welcome, Chaerin. And don’t worry I desperately tried not to look at you while I put your undergarments on. It was kind of hard not to but...you understand right?”

I nodded. “Please Jiyong don’t worry about it. You were just trying to help.” Bump! Bump! My heart pounded like a hammer against nails. Why though? Why am I feeling like this? A fury paw cupped my face in its palm. “Still wearing those bath mitts, Jiyong?” I chortled.

“Ah, yeah,” he laughed.

“It’s so soft...”I murmured, enjoying the feeling of fur my cheek.

“Um...I fell asleep on the bed next to you while I was trying to make sure you were okay,” Jiyong said suddenly, “You were out for a few hours. Sorry if I startled you when you woke up.”

I waved my hands in front of my face nervously. “No you didn’t startle me at all. I was just a little surprised.”

A relieved sigh. “Good.” Now is the time to ask him what he was trying to tell me before I fell into unconsciousness.

“Jiyong?”

“Hmm?”

“What were you trying to tell me before I fainted?” I asked. “You said ‘I lo-’ and then I faded into the black.”

Jiyong released my face from his caress. “Oh.” The mattress springs creaked with another awkward shift on the bed.

"Chaerin, please don’t hate me when I tell you this.”

I cocked my head to the side in confusion. “How could I ever hate you after you’ve done so much for me?”

I heard Jiyong gulp. “I was going to say that I love you.” I gasped. No way... No way, no way, no way!

“S-say again?” I managed to utter. My heart went into overdrive as did the blush that had creeped its way onto my face once more.

Suddenly Jiyong pressed my head onto his inviting chest. I thought he didn’t like physical contact though...

“I love you Chaerin Lee. You’re the first person who has accepted me for who I am, who is not afraid of me. You’re so enticingly beautiful and kind that I can hardly hold back from touching you. You seem so independent, so intelligent with a smile that could touch the Devil’s soul and turn it righteous,” Jiyong declared with such a dead serious tone to his voice. My mouth hung wide open, my hand clutching my chest. What am I supposed to say? How do I respond to such a declaration? No man has ever said such things to me before... My heart hammered so violently against the inside of my chest that I was afraid it would burst out. The heat in my cheeks would make any doctor believe that I had a dangerously high fever.

“I-I don’t know what to say,” I stammered. I pushed myself away from Jiyong. “I barely know you, you barely know me. I don’t even know what you look like. How can I love somebody who is a complete mystery to me?” Tears that had been welling up in my blank eyes began spilling over, trickling slowly down my face. I hung my head down. “I’m sorry Jiyong. I can’t accept your feelings.” Dog-like melancholy whimpering resounded from Jiyong’s direction.

“Chaerin... I-I...” Jiyong struggled for words. I could practically feel his body racking with sobs. “Why? Why would you do this to me?” he sobbed. I winced. Oh God I really hurt him... “I’ve been waiting over a thousand years for someone like you to come into my life I-” Jiyong cut himself off.

“Did you just say that you’ve been waiting a thousand years?” I inquired, raising an eyebrow. “What do you mean?”

“Uh...uh. Ignore that it’s nothing I was just exaggerating is all....” Liar. Why are you lying to me Jiyong?

“Besides, you wouldn’t want to see what I look like... I’m hideous,” Jiyong said in misery. A sharp pang of pity shot through my heart. “You wouldn’t want to stay with me if you saw my appearance. You would run away and never come back...” Another shot of pity. This poor man...

I patted Jiyong’s chest gently with my hand. “I wouldn’t care what you looked like. It’s what’s on the inside that counts right? I know that sounds cheesy, but it’s true. You are a kind, wonderful man Jiyong who saved my innocence. Appearances don’t matter to me. I can’t even see my own reflection and go out in public without a hint of makeup on, not caring what other people think of me.” I gave him a sympathetic smile. “When I asked my mother what my eyes looked like she told me that they were pale and lifeless.”

“I think your eyes are lovely Chaerin. They are full of life no matter what anyone else tells you,” Jiyong interrupted. Bdump! My heart thumped hard against my chest.

“Thank you Jiyong. But I haven’t finished the rest of my story.” I cleared my throat and continued on. “I thought that’s it, I must be hideously ugly. But then I met you Jiyong and you were the first person, besides my relatives, who told me that I was truly beautiful on the inside and outside, you’re my first true friend and you’re the first man to ever confess their love for me.” I flashed my brightest smile in his direction. “I am extremely glad that I met you Jiyong. You gave me hope. And I wish that I could return your feelings, but I would like to be able to see the man who loves me. That is my deepest wish.” Tears ran down my face in salty streams. My body moved up and down as Jiyong suddenly bounced excitedly on the bed like a toddler waking up his parents on Christmas morning.

“Chaerin! There may be a way for you to be able to finally see!” Jiyong exclaimed with gusto. The tears ceased falling from my eyes.

“What?” I gasped.

“Yeah! There’s this remedy I learned long-some time ago that can actually cure blindness,” Jiyong explained. “If it works, you’ll be able to see Chaerin!” A large smile fanned out over my face. I threw myself at Jiyong, wrapping my arms around him.

“Oh thank you Jiyong, thank you so much! Please, please try your remedy, Jiyong I want to finally see the world! And you too of course,” I sobbed happily. “Even if it doesn’t work that’s okay. I’ll at least know that you tried and for that I’ll be glad.” Suddenly, a rather sharp claw-like object tipped my chin upward. Jiyong’s soft lips crashed hungrily into mine. My first kiss... I savored the taste of his lips, wanting more. Jiyong’s lips released mine, his breathing hard and ragged.

“Don’t worry Chaerin the remedy will work. I will make it work for your sake. I love you,” he whispered lovingly. My face flushed with color as I nestled into Jiyong’s warm chest.

“Thank you...” I murmured. I was wrong before. I do love Jiyong. I just wish I could tell him since thanks to him, all of my prayers are being answered. I will be able to see long last…

 

tumblr_m99m7xEkbj1r1yan6o1_500.gif

tumblr_m99rvaZ64k1qchnkto1_500.gif

tumblr_m99upnvxIr1rqb0c8o1_500.gif

 

tumblr_m99u637STo1rdexryo4_500.gif

tumblr_m99u637STo1rdexryo7_500.gif

OK I'M DONE LOL