Do Kyungsoo

Before the Dawn [HIATUS]

Chapter Nine: Do Kyungsoo

-.-.-.-.-.-.-

 

Kris decided to fly in Korea for no particular reason. He just felt that he needed to be there. When he landed at dusk, his feeling grew stronger and he felt that he’ll be staying there for quite a while. Ever heard of animal instinct? It’s gotten a lot stronger now. Hahaha. Just kidding, Kris.

He landed and transformed in a very familiar place. He recognized it as the place he first ever landed as an eagle, the place where he got his coat. He felt a little sentimental and walked around the dim place. It was hardly visited nowadays, seeing as the 21st century has brought in newer and better things to do.

The park had marble statues crawling with moss and little plants. There was even a gazebo that made the park look like a rich man’s garden. At the very center in front of the gazebo was a pavilion. There were marble benches and a huge marble fountain in the middle.

Just then, he heard sweet melody waft through the dim place. At first Kris felt goosebumps spread throughout his body, but soon, he was entranced. The voice was hauntingly beautiful. He followed it and found out that he wasn’t alone in the forsaken park. A lone boy sat on one of the marble benches. He had a guitar in his hands but he wasn’t playing. He was singing, and it beautiful beyond imagination.

Kris approached him carefully, as if he was a bird that could easily fly away. Upon close inspection, the boy was hiccupping. He was crying.

The boy must’ve sensed Kris’ presence because he stopped singing and looked up. Kris awkwardly smiled at him.

“Uhm, hi?” Kris said. The boy remained quiet, but at least he looked away. He started packing up his guitar and stood up.

“Wait! I didn’t mean to interrupt you,” said Kris hurriedly. “You can go on. It’s just that, it’s been so long since I’ve heard such beautiful music as yours.”

The boy scoffed lightly. “How ironic.”

Kris was baffled. “What? Why?”

The boy faced him, and the way Kris looked at him was full of concern that he gave Kris his trust. He sat back down.

“My name is Do Kyungsoo,” he began.

“I’m just a simple guy who used to live in the outskirts of Seoul. My family likes the peace and quiet, yet they didn’t really want to live too far from the city. I grew up with music because both my parents were musical and they’ve started teaching my older sister a few instruments when she was only 5. I learned as well, and in my elementary years I’ve already made up my mind on what I wanted to be when I grew up: a singer. So after high school, I made my way to the heart of Seoul and auditioned for a well-known company.

“I thought it would go well. I mean, I know I have a nice voice and I could play the piano and the guitar. They accepted me, actually, and I became a trainee. I thought it would go all out from there, but last night, the day before I actually debut, something got leaked in the company and the next thing I know, I’m being kicked out of the building. I have no actual idea of what really happened.”

Kris had taken the seat next to Kyungsoo. It was a strange story, but hey, who was he to judge fate?

“It sounded unfair,” commented Kris. “They didn’t tell you what you did or what happened at all?”

“It was just a lot of shouting, and something about ‘traitor’ or ‘liar’, but I hardly understood it. And yes, it was hardly fair that I was kept in the dark, but I’m a nobody; I’m not anyone yet, so I couldn’t fight against higher powers,” said Kyungsoo. He sighed. “Well, I guess I should go home. There’s nothing else for me here in Seoul.”

“That’s good,” Kris said. “Family is always a good refuge, if you’re in good terms with them.”

Kyungsoo regarded him closely. “You’re not from around here, are you? I notice a strange accent when you speak. And you look different, for some reason; for one, you’ve got a good tan.”

Kris chuckled. “Yeah, you could say I’m a day person. And you’re right: I’m not from here. Actually, I originate from China, but I’m kind of a travelling person lately. I’ve been in Korea for a while. My real name’s Wu Fan, but people call me Kris.”

“Nice to meet you, Kris,” said Kyungsoo formally and shook Kris’ hand. “I observe another thing on you.”

Kris tensed up. Kyungsoo was so observant. Could he have observed something off? He looked at Kyungsoo cautiously, ready to defend himself.

“You must sing well,” said Kyungsoo. “Your voice suggests that.”

Kris let out a breath. It was ridiculous to think that Kyungsoo actually noticed that he’s half-bird. I mean, what are the signs, anyway? Other than his darker tan, that is.

“Y-Yeah, well,” said Kris, embarrassed. “I’m not that good, but I do sing for fun. My older brother sings in our church choir back home, and he’s good. Maybe it runs in the family, though I never knew my parents could sing.”

“Yeah, it’s usually like that,” replied Kyungsoo. “Do have anything to do tonight?”

“No, not really,” said Kris. “Actually, I’m still looking for a hostel around this district. The other day I was at the other side of the city. Do you know any good places around here?”

Kyungsoo thought a while. “No, sorry. I’m still kind of new here; I don’t go out much besides my hostel and the company I used to train in. If you don’t mind, you could spend the night in our place. It’s not so far; it’s close to a subway, actually, so if you need to go to the city tomorrow you could just board a train.”

“Sounds good,” admitted Kris. “Would your parents mind?”

“I’m sure they won’t; they’re very hospitable people. Besides, there’s lots of room. Come on.”

~.~.~.~.~.~.~

The Do family was very hospitable. Upon entering, Kyungsoo’s mother gave her son a quick encounter then began ministering to Kris. She immediately led him to a room upstairs and left him to get settled in. She told him she’s call when dinner’s set. And it was almost 8 in the evening. The met Kyungsoo’s father on the way to the room and he greeted him and said that if he needed anything, he should just call.

Kyungsoo’s mother called about 15 minutes later, and Kris came down and came into the kitchen he was introduced to earlier.

“Oh, Kris, please sit down,” called Kyungsoo’s father. The entire family was there, save for the mother herself who was scooping some soup into a bowl. The father was at the head of the table, Kyungsoo was at his right, and his sister was at their father’s left. Kris sat beside Kyungsoo’s sister. Their mother came shortly and sat beside Kyungsoo. They said grace and began to eat.

“Kris, this is my sister, Misoo noona,” said Kyungsoo. The female beside Kris gave him a warm smile and shook his hand.

“I’m 21 now,” said Misoo. “I just turned 21 last month.”

“Oh, so did I!” said Kris and smiled.

“It’s nice that Kyungsoo met a nice friend in Seoul. He’s always been calling and saying that he misses us a lot,” said Kyungsoo’s mother.

“Actually I just met him today, ma’am,” said Kris. He gave Kyungsoo a look that said: ‘Have you told them?’

Kyungsoo sighed. “How’s training, son? Finally not busy enough to come visit?” asked his father suddenly, which did nothing to lighten his mood.

“Dad, I got kicked out,” he said quietly. A deathly silence fell over them all, and then his mother wrapped an arm around him.

“Oh, honey, it’s ok,” she said. “You can try somewhere else. MS is not the only company out there. You’re a very talented person, sweetheart.”

“Thanks mom,” he mumbled, obviously mortified by his mother’s actions. Despite the situation, Misoo snickered. Kris tried to hide a smile.

“Your mother’s right, son,” said his father. “You trained for this purpose all your life. Why did they kick you out anyway?”

“I don’t know, dad,” Kyungsoo replied, twisting away from his mother’s grasp. “They never told me.”

“What?” said his mother, enraged. “They should have a least told you and let you have a say! Here’s what we’ll do, honey: we’ll march over there tomorrow and we’ll talk to them, alright?”

“It’s ok, mom, really,” said Kyungsoo hurriedly. “Like you said, I could always try out the other companies. It’s really ok, really.”

His mom seemed satisfied the reply, and dinner resumed with safer topics. The parents bombarded Kris with questions, but none to invading. After dinner, Kris offered to help with the dishes, but Kyungsoo’s mother insisted that he rest instead. Misoo showed him around the part of the living room where the instruments were displayed. There was a keyboard, several guitars, a couple of basses, and an electric. There was also a violin and a flute hanging by hooks on the wall. A drum set sat in the corner-most part of the room.

“Wow, these are wicked,” sighed Kris.

Misoo chuckled. “Yeah, they are. Do you play any?”

Kris became red with embarrassment. “In truth, I play the piano, but I’m not that good. My grandfather was way better.”

“How about a sample?” suggested Misoo. Kris was about the back out when Misoo place his hand on the white keys. Kris relented. He played a simple tune, but Misoo seemed to recognize it because she sang along. Her voice was just a beautiful as Kyungsoo’s, and Kris wanted to go on playing just to hear it. But his knowledge of the piece only took him so far. He stared up at her.

“Your voice is so awesome,” he said in awe.

Misoo blushed. “If you liked mine, you should hear mother sing. I’m nothing like her. You want to hear me play instead? I’m better in that field.”

Kris nodded and Misoo took the violin of its hooks. “I just recently mastered this thing.” She played a simple melody, but the way she played felt like there was something about the music; like there was a story behind it. Her face altered emotions, sometimes in pain, sometimes in pleasure. When she finished, Kris was too stumped to do anything.

“S-So, how was it?” she asked shyly as she returned the violin to its place on the wall.

“That was so beautiful,” said Kris. He had been meaning to say ‘You are so beautiful,’ but he stopped himself. “I think the violin is the hardest to learn.”

“I would agree with you at that,” said Misoo.

“Kris? Would you come up with me?” called Kyungsoo from the stairs. Glad for the excuse to hide his reddening face, Kris smiled up to Kyungsoo and bowed a bit as a formal goodbye to Misoo.

Once they were in the room, Kyungsoo looked at Kris up and down.

“What is it?” asked Kris.

“I suppose you’re not so bad,” said Kyungsoo. “Tall, well-built, nicely tanned. Has nice manners. You’d do well.”

“What are you saying?” demanded Kris.

“Oh, come on,” said Kyungsoo with a glint in his eyes. “I saw it at the table. You like Misoo noona.”

“Wh-What?” said Kris nervously. “How could you say that? I just met her!”

“I’m observant as hell, remember? I read people well. I didn’t take psychology but I’m really good at it.”

Kris scowled. Then his expression saddened. “I can’t get entangled with people. Misoo would make such a cool friend, but even if I wanted, it would be difficult for me to actually be in a relationship.”

Kyungsoo narrowed his eyes at him. “Why is that?”

“I’m just very busy, that’s all,” replied Kris smoothly. “I just need time for myself now. And I don’t have a place of my own. I’m not settled anywhere.”

Kyungsoo nodded. “Makes sense. But if you do find yourself someplace close, I’m sure noon would be very interested as well.”

“Would you drop it!” exclaimed Kris and playfully hit him with a pillow. Kyungsoo ducked out of the way and laughed.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~

Kris stirred awake from his makeshift bed and read the clock. 3 AM. Kyungsoo was still asleep on his bed. What waked Kris was a buzzing noise. It was very faint, but due to his extended hearing skills, he heard pretty well. He searched for the source of the noise around the room. His eyes caught a faint glow on the dressing table. He approached it and saw Kyungsoo’s phone, buzzing and vibrating.

“Kyungsoo, your phone is setting off,” he said and brought the phone to Kyungsoo’s head. “Someone’s calling, I guess.”

“Hmmm… Ugh. What?” he mumbled. He grasped the phone from Kris’ hand and answered it sleepily. But the next second, he was up and fully awake.

“You mean, for real?” he exclaimed, his happiness shining from his eyes. Someone from the other phone replied, and Kyungsoo’s eyes overflowed with tears. Simultaneously, Kris’ necklace glowed. He doesn’t know what happened, but it had to be something really good.

“Yes, sir, I won’t fail you. Yes sir, I’ll be there sir. Thank you so much!” When he finally turned his phone off, he gazed at Kris with happy, teary eyes.

“Uhm, good news?” Kris guessed.

“The best! They found out what really happened and said I’ve got nothing to do with it! It was another trainee, and she’s been a bit of a trouble, but they’ve sorted things out and I’m welcome to come back to MS! I’ve got to tell them!” said Kyungsoo, all in one breath.

He rushed past Kris and down the stairs, yelling as he went.

“Mom! Dad! I could go back! They called me just now and said so!”

“Kyungsoo, shut up! It’s 3:15 in the morning!” hissed Misoo as she peeked from her bedroom door. She caught sight of Kris and smiled. Kris returned it, but caught himself and ducked his head, retreating back to the room. ‘I guess I have to go now,’ he thought. That’s when Kyungsoo bounced back to the room.

“Let me just pack a few stuff, then, Kris, could you accompany me back to the city? You’re heading there, aren’t you?” he said, excitement still fresh in his eyes.

“Uh, yeah, of course,” replied Kris. “I’ll wait. But hurry, please.” He knew that he’s bound to be an eagle in a matter of hours.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~

As he watched Kyungsoo go into the building with one final wave, Kris was a bit saddened. It may be that he may not be able to see him again, and Misoo. In truth, he had taken quite a liking to Misoo, but hey, life’s cruel. He got cursed to be half eagle, for crying out loud. He got over the little fact and went on his way, flying around Seoul till he met another person he could help. But he had a feeling it wasn’t the last he’s seen of Misoo, nor her him. Same goes with that silent girl in the café in Hongdae: Jaesun.

Things are going to get really interesting indeed.