Kim Jongin

Before the Dawn [HIATUS]

Chapter Eleven: Kim Jongin

-.-.-.-.-.-.-

After the talk he had with the white star, Kris was still feeling kind of feverish, so he asked for directions to the nearest hospital to have himself checked. He was admitted and he sat in the waiting lounge while waiting for his turn. Across him was another young man, almost Kyungsoo’s age. Thinking about Kyungsoo made Kris sad. But anyway, he was sitting there, almost nodding off, but whenever his head will lurch forward he would come to and wince, as if in pain. And it repeats like that.

Kris was curious, but before he could stand up, a doctor came out and stood in front of the young man.

“Sir Kim, is it you again?” he said. He nudged the boy awake, and then shook his head. “You can’t keep doing this, Kai.”

“Uhh… Whaaa? Oh, doctor, it’s you,” said the boy called Kai when he had come to his senses. “What were you saying?”

The doctor sighed. “Come in now. And uhm,” he turned to Kris, “are you Wu Fan? You should come in as well. Sir Kim shouldn’t take long.”

Kris nodded and followed the doctor and Kai inside the room. The doctor instructed Kris to sit outside a curtain-covered corner and wait for a moment while he ministered to Kai. But being the curious guy he is, he leaned just a bit farther to find out what was wrong with Kai.

“You should stop doing this, Kai,” said the doctor. “If you do you’re going to end up killing yourself.”

“Don’t be melodramatic, uncle,” said Kai. “I can take this.”

“I can’t keep fixing you. There will surely be anomalies regarding the operations. And aren’t the others missing you?”

“Nope. I’m a pretty effective liar.”

“Well, how long will you keep lying to them? This has gone on for four years, Kai.”

“And it will last a bit longer. This is for their sake, not mine. If I leave, everything we work so hard on for four years will go to waste.”

“For once, think about yourself, Jongin.”

“I’ve no time for that. My friends matter more to me than myself.”

They fell silent after that. The doctor, Kai’s uncle, sighed. A few moments of silence fell again before Kai resumed talking.

“Don’t worry about me, uncle,” he said, more softly now. “I have a pretty strong body.”

“But don’t you see how they treat you, Kai? They make you dance till the wee hours of the morning and you hardly get enough rest before you go on with your performances the next day. For once you and the boys should listen to what your fans say,” said the doctor. “It’s all over the internet. They’re getting worried because they can see the changes happening to you guys. It won’t be long before they find out about you.”

“I intend to come out, uncle, when someone—even a fan—finally comes up to me and tells me to stop,” said Kai.

“What if it’s too late? I already lost my brother and my own son; I can’t lose you too.”

~.~.~.~.~.~.~

Later, after being checked and given some advice, Kai came out of the curtain-covered corner. He gave Kris a tight smile and walked out of the office completely. Kris took his turn and cautiously peered through the curtain. The doctor was wiping his forehead, clearly stressed out. But he gave Kris a professional smile and folded his hands together.

“What seems to be the problem, Mr. Wu Fan?” he asked. “Take a seat.”

Kris sat. “I just feel a little feverish, that’s all. I was part of a rescue operation on the burning house just a few blocks from here.”

“Oh, I’ve heard about it,” replied the doctor. “No one hurt, I hope?”

“None,” replied Kris. “I kind of fell and landed wrongly on my arm and I think I fractured it, but they helped me to the nearest hospital to have it fixed. I feel feverish now; must be all that smoke.”

“That may be,” said the doctor. “Well, just drink these pills and the feeling should go away after 30 minutes.” He handed Kris some white pills and he drank them all in one gulp.

“Thanks,” he said. “Was that your nephew?”

The question startled the doctor. “Yes. Kim Jongin, more popularly known as Kai. He belongs in a popular dance crew.”

“So I heard,” said Kris. “May I ask what’s wrong with him?”

The doctor sighed. “He’s very stubborn. He tires himself out, not caring if his sickness acts up. He was born with a disease that no one knows yet, and when he becomes too tired, the disease makes fatigue worse. Also, he feels cramps all over his body in sudden movement, also when he gets too tired.”

Kris nodded. That’s why Kai kept wincing whenever his head would suddenly lurch forward.

“He never listens to me; he still insists on his career. I’ve tried to talk him out of it, but I know that this is what really wants to do. I don’t know what to do with him. My brother died of the same disease and so did my son,” finished the doctor. He sighed deeply and heavily.

“I’m sure he’ll be alright,” said Kris reassuringly, even if he was so not. “I think his immune system is pretty good, but I really can’t say ‘cause I have no idea about this whole medical thing.”

The doctor smiled. “Thank you, Mr. Wu Fan. Is there anything else you’d like to ask?”

“None. Thank you,” he said, “for everything.”

~.~.~.~.~.~.~

Kris sauntered out of the hospital, hoping to catch up with Kai. Something was going to happen to him tonight—Kris could feel it—and he had to be there. Just then, he saw Kai turn around the block and quickly followed him. He shadowed Kai until they came in front of a tall, cream-colored building. It read ‘MS Entertainment’ in silver on a plaque right outside of it. It rang a bell, and Kris remembered that it was the same company Kyungsoo auditioned and got accepted in.

“Kim Jongin.”

Kris turned his head and saw that Kai had stopped. There was someone in front of him that caused him to stop. Kris ducked behind the plaque. He could clearly see Kai, and a girl standing before him, head bowed.

“Kim Jongin, stop.”

“What?” Kai said softly.

The girl took a deep breath. “As your bestfriend, you know that I know about your sickness,” whispered the girl. “And as a fan, I want you to stop, because I’d rather have Kim Jongin alive than a dead Kai.”

Kai stopped and stifled a gasp. He put a finger under her chin and lifted her head up. His eyes softened when he recognized her.

“Nabi…” he murmured.

“Please, Jongin,” Nabi whispered hoarsely as he tears fell down her cheeks. “Please stop.”

Kai pulled Nabi in for a hug. She sobbed freely on his white shirt, clutching his waist in her arms. He hugged her tighter, as if he would never let go.

“Alright, for you Nabi, I will stop business for a while.”

When one of Nabi’s tears dropped to the ground, Kris’ necklace glowed again. Another lucky night with two drops of tear. Kris nodded, impressed. He thought it would be Kai who would tear up, but of course, anything is possible. He left the couple with a good-luck wish and took off just as the sun cracked through the night’s chilly darkness.