Park Chanyeol

Before the Dawn [HIATUS]

 

Chapter Seven: Park Chanyeol

-.-.-.-.-.-.-

Xiumin and Kris walked past houses in a spy-like manner. They crouched within the shadows and ducked and hid from any soldiers, since they don’t know which is friend or foe. Soon, Xiumin stopped in front of a huge, mansion-like house, and Kris did too. It was dirty and dusted, just like the others, but judging on its structure, the owners looked well-off.

“This is the Park’s house,” said Xiumin in a low voice. His face was grim and dark.

“What’s wrong with it?” asked Kris. “It seems like they are doing well with this kind of house.”

“They were,” said Xiumin. “Mr. Park—Chanyeol’s dad—was a wealthy guy. He ran a large business here in India. But when war struck, everyone became in level with each other. Mr. Park lost his business, of course. What’s more, a bomb exploded right smack on his building, blowing it to pieces. He was severely wounded. It was around that time did Chanyeol come here from Korea.”

Kris remembered briefly what Baekhyun said about Chanyeol getting a message that his father was wounded. Kris had thought that his father was a voluntary soldier. How he could be a wealthy businessman was questionable that time.

Xiumin walked up the steps and lightly rapped the ivory knocker. Kris heard shuffling inside then a voice came through.

“Who’s there?” It was deep, and Kris assumed it would be an uncle or something.

“Chanyeol? It’s me, Minseok,” said Xiumin. “I brought a friend.”

Chanyeol? Kris knit his brows in confusion. Chanyeol didn’t look old in the pictures Baekhyun showed him. He can’t be the owner of that ocean-deep voice. As the door opened, the more Kris couldn’t believe his ears. The boy was tall, yes, and lanky. But his face was soft, and cute, even.

“Min?” the boy spoke. Kris almost choked on air. ‘I just got minded,’ he thought. ‘This can’t be possible.’

“Hey there, Yeol,” said Xiumin. “This is Kris. He’s gonna help us get out of here.”

Kris gathered himself together and shook Chanyeol’s hand firmly. “Hi. My real name’s Wu Fan, but you can call me Kris, just as Xiumin said.”

“Nice to meet you,” said Chanyeol with a small smile. He turned to Xiumin. “Come on inside first. It’s not safe out here.”

Kris and Xiumin dusted their shoes and stepped into the house. It was messy, as expected, but it was the type of mess that looked expensive. A broken chandelier lay in smithereens in the middle of the lobby. The lush red carpet was dusty and full of holes. Porcelain vases were shattered across the floor, along with rotting flowers. The frames on the walls were askew; some had their glasses broken as well.

“I’m sorry if it looks messy,” said Chanyeol, his voice filled with lament. “But it can’t be helped.”

“That’s alright,” said Kris. I’ve seen worse. His thoughts flitted back to Suho’s apartment, how it was intentionally thrashed.

“What brings you in India, Kris?” asked Chanyeol. He made them sit in the dining hall on used-to-be really expensive dinner chairs. It was just as thrashed as the main hall.

“I met Baekhyun in Korea and I promised him I would check in on you since I’m a travelling guy. Then I met Xiumin here and I’m going to take him back to Korea with you,” explained Kris.

Chanyeol narrowed his eyes. “So, wait, you met Baekhyun? Byun Baekhyun?”

“Yup, your bestfriend.”

“And he asked you to check in on me?”

“I offered, actually, but yeah.”

“Then you met Xiumin… And you’re going to take him back to Korea?”

“Yes, with you.”

“My grandmother died 30 minutes ago, Yeol,” said Xiumin. “And she said Kris would bring me back home.”

“Condolences, Min,” replied Chanyeol. “So… Your main motive of coming here was not to check in on me, but to bring me back to Korea?”

“Well, the first was only to check in on you for Baekhyun,” said Kris. “When I met Xiumin and entrusted by his dying grandmother to take him home and we found you, I figured I’d take you home as well.”

Chanyeol nodded, understanding. “You guys should go then. Even if I myself don’t know how you’ll get out of India. Good luck to you.” He stood up to leave the room.

“Wait, you’re not coming?” called Xiumin. Chanyeol stopped by the doorway but didn’t turn back.

“I can’t leave my father, Xiumin,” he said. “I can’t just go.”

Kris stood up. “May I see your father?”

Chanyeol looked at him weirdly but felt obliged to show him. He led Kris and Xiumin upstairs and into the master’s bedroom. There, on a bed in the middle of the room, lay a sleeping man with graying hair and wrinkles on his middle-aged face. Kris frowned. There was something oddly familiar about that man.

“Chanyeol, is that you?” The man stirred and opened his eyes. Chanyeol walked up to his bedside and kneeled.

“Dad, Xiumin’s here with a friend,” he said quietly. “I don’t know why but the friend wanted to see you.” He beckoned to Kris and Kris came close. As he kneeled beside Chanyeol, he managed to observe the man closer. The more he did, the more the man became familiar. Just then, he remembered.

“Park Chansung?” Kris blurted out.

Chanyeol’s eyes widened and Xiumin gasped in shock. Mr. Park scrutinized Kris, and recognition crossed his face as well.

“Wu Fan? Grandson of Wu Liang?” he said weakly.

“Yes, he’s my grandfather,” Kris replied. “Sadly, he passed away a few days ago.”

“Oh, condolences, son,” said Park Chansung with a sad expression. “He was a good man, your grandfather.”

“You know him, dad?” asked Chanyeol.

Chansung nodded. “I knew his family. His grandfather and I worked together before, I as an apprentice under him.” He turned to Kris. “What brings you here, Wu Fan?”

“Actually, sir, I went here to bring Chanyeol back to Korea,” said Kris. “It was a request by his friend.”

Chansung nodded. “Baekhyun misses you a lot, son. I’ve repeatedly told him to go home. I’ll be fine here.”

“Dad, have you seen the state of this house?” retorted Chanyeol. “And besides, your wound is still deep. Who will take care of you?”

“The Indian soldiers know this house and they’ve done everything to protect me and my family,” said Chansung calmly.

“A lot that did,” said Chanyeol sarcastically. “If they protected us, why is mom dead? Why is Ch-Channie gone? And I only found out when I came here.”

Tears started forming in Chanyeol’s eyes. When he blinked, the tears cascaded down his cheeks. Kris’ necklace began to glow again.

Wow, two tears in one night.

“Son, Chanyeol, it was unfortunate, and I know you miss your mother and sister,” said Chansung soothingly. “But if you don’t go home, I’ll lose you too.”

“You are selfish,” said Chanyeol. “Don’t you ever think about me? What if I lose you? What then? I can’t trust anyone outside of this family and you know that.”

Chansung took a sideways glance at Kris and Xiumin. “Of course you can. Xiumin is still here, and a new friend has presented himself to you. And surely, back home, there will be someone waiting for you.”

Chanyeol fell silent. “But what about you?” he asked quietly.

“I’m an old and successful man,” said Chansung with a gentle smile. “I am ready to go if ever my time comes. And the soldiers are still loyal to me.”

Kris instantly felt jealous toward Chanyeol. If only his father were kinder to him. He wouldn’t have left home at all. He turned away for a while and took a deep breath.

“Kris? You alright?” asked Xiumin. Kris nodded.

“Alright, father,” said Chanyeol. “I’ll go home and make you proud. I’ll continue the name of Park.”

“That’s my boy,” said Chansung proudly. “Who knows: If this war ends, I’ll be able to go home as well.”

Chanyeol kneeled down and his father blessed him. Then he led Kris and Xiumin into his room so that he could pack the few belongings he had left.

“Kris, you look like you could use some new clothes,” he said and Kris looked down at his grimy coat and dirty white shirt and jeans. He had accidentally left the bag he packed in their house in China. Kris took a deep, controlling breath. He had been pretty forgetful lately, except for the coat.

“It’s alright,” said Kris. “I’m fine.”

“No, here, throw this on,” said Chanyeol and tossed Kris a set of jeans and a tee. “You’re tall anyway, so I guess you could fit it. How ‘bout you, Min? Got any extra stuff on you?”

“Nope, just this,” said Xiumin. “And I’m fine, thank you very much.”

“You’ll fit into Channie’s huge shirt just fine, then,” said Chanyeol. “Come on. You won’t go back to Korea looking like hell rolled over you.”

“It just did,” muttered Xiumin, but he hid behind the door and put on Chanyeol’s sister’s shirt, which was fortunately blue. “This is a girl’s shirt, Yeol.”

“Channie was a girl, Min,” replied Chanyeol. “But it looks good on you, actually.”

“Thanks for this, Chanyeol,” said Kris. “But I’d like to retain my coat.”

Chanyeol nodded. “How will we go back, by the way?” he asked.

Kris grew quiet. How, indeed? He couldn’t carry them while he flew at night. Or could he?

“We’ll start out tonight,” said Kris. “Do you know an isolated place, preferably a hill or something?”

Chanyeol and Xiumin exchanged glances. “Yes, why?” asked Xiumin.

“That’s where we’ll take off.”

~.~.~.~.~.~.~

It was the coldest part of the night, the time when the sun is about to rise, and it was eerily quiet. Three figures quietly trudged up a barren hill. The chilly wind blew and ruffled Kris coat. It made a flapping noise.

“What was that?” said Xiumin suddenly and looked skyward. He’s been having the jitters since they set out.

“It was just my coat, Xiumin,” said Kris. He kept his steely eyes forward and silently thanked Chanyeol for the extra clothes or he would be frost-bitten before they got to the hill.

“The sun’s about to rise,” observed Chanyeol. “When it does, it will be even harder to escape. I don’t even see our mode of transport.”

“Trust me,” said Kris. Sunrise is exactly what I’m waiting for.

They got to the top and stood still for a while. Kris began feeling the warmth of the coming sun. Fifteen minutes before his transformation, he turned to the two of them.

“Xiumin, Chanyeol, I have to tell you guys a secret that I haven’t told anyone. I don’t know if you’ll believe me or laugh at me, but from now on, I want you to put your entire trust in me.”

Xiumin and Chanyeol exchanged glances again. “Is this secret relevant to our escape?” asked Chanyeol.

“Yes, it is.”

Xiumin and Chanyeol looked at hime expectantly. Kris took a deep breath.

“When I was in China a few days ago—almost a week—a witch cursed me to be a bronze eagle by day and a person by night.”

He paused. Xiumin and Chanyeol looked at him uncertainly, but they didn’t say anything. Kris saw the first rays of the sun shatter the darkness of the night sky.

“Here comes the sun. I’m about to change. Don’t worry, I’m still sane as an eagle, but I hope you wouldn’t be too scared. I plan to carry you both to Korea, as this was how I came into India. It’ll be a long flight, though. Here it comes…”

As a warm ray touched Kris’ head, warmth and golden light spread throughout his body. Chanyeol and Xiumin could see and feel it seep through his body. The light grew brighter and brighter until they had to shield their eyes from Kris. When it was over, they carefully peeked through their fingers and gawked at the ginormous bronze eagle standing in front of them, regarding them with the cold, judging eyes Kris had.

Xiumin bit his fist to keep from yelling out loud and Chanyeol’s mouth threatened to drop from his jaw. The eagle made a sound like sniggering.

“Chanyeol, close your mouth,” it said. “Xiumin, don’t yell for your life’s worth.”

“K-Kris?” tried Xiumin.

“Yup,” said the eagle-slash-Kris with a nod. “You guys ready for a ride?”

~.~.~.~.~.~.~

After a day’s ride, Kris landed in a secluded park in Hongdae. He let Xiumin and Chanyeol off from his back and transformed behind a tree. He came back to them wearing his trademark coat, with—unfortunately—nothing inside.

“I see why you insist on keeping that coat,” remarked Chanyeol.

“It’s my lucky coat,” replied Kris with a shrug.

“Dude, that was better than any other plane ride!” said Xiumin loudly. “Let’s do that again!”

“Maybe next time,” said Kris dismissively. “Well, my work with you guys is done. Chanyeol, why don’t you go show Xiumin to your and Baekhyun’s dorm? He’s been waiting so long for you. Goodbye, and I hope to see you guys again.”

~.~.~.~.~.~.~

It was 8 PM, and Baekhyun was busy reviewing his Arithmetic book. Just then, a knock came from the door. Who could that be? He went and opened the door and almost thought he was hallucinating and stayed immobile for a few seconds.

“Baekhyun? Hyunnie, it’s me,” said Chanyeol. He gave his bestfriend a hug. Baekhyun realized who it was and fresh tears sprang from his eyes.

“Yeollie… You’re back…”

“It’s so good to see you, Hyunnie,” said Chanyeol. They broke apart and Chanyeol introduced Xiumin to Baekhyun. Arrangements were made and they found Xiumin a place on their couch. When they all lay down to sleep that night, each had a single thought in their minds.

Thank you so much, Kris.