Kim Jongdae

Before the Dawn [HIATUS]

Chapter Ten: Kim Jongdae

-.-.-.-.-.-.-

 

By nightfall, Kris came to a place with lots of lights. It wasn’t the city, but things seemed to be a bit busy around there, so Kris decided to check it out. He looked around for signs and was astonished to find most of them in English, but he was very sure that he was still in Asia. As he came closer, he felt that something was wrong.

It was supposed to be a wedding. They were at a church, and it was decorated to fit the purple motif. But the people around looked confused. Everyone was dressed formally, and everyone was either talking in hushed tones or looking at their wristwatches.

“I give up. I know she’s not coming. I just wish she had the decency of calling it off before the actual date.”

Kris turned and saw a debonair young man in a sharp suit. His hair was styled and his shoes were shined. He must be the groom. He had the air of the groom, but his face was heavily distressed. Around him were two of his friends. And they were speaking English, as in legit English.

“Cheer up, man,” said one. “Maybe it really wasn’t meant to be.”

“I really had a bad feeling about that girl, man,” said the other.

The young man stared at the one who spoke last. “Miggy, you knew Jessica. How could you say that?”

The one he called Miggy caught the eye of the other friend and averted his gaze. The other friend shook his head and put an arm on the groom.

“Chen, we have to talk,” said the friend. He led Chen away to the quiet place behind the church. Kris followed them secretly. The back was decorated to fit the purple motif as well. That must be where the reception with be held.

“What’s up, John?” asked Chen impatiently. “Are you going to lecture me about Jessica too?”

“No,” replied John. “Jessica and I go we way back; we all do. I know she wouldn’t deliberately try to hurt you. But Miggy…”

“Why? What’s wrong with Miggy?” demanded Chen.

“Well, he never told you, or anyone, for that matter. Miggy used to, you know, like Jessica.”

Chen took the news silently. But John and Kris could see that he was more distressed now. The nerve in his temple throbbed. His fists clenched and unclenched.

“Do you know what this news could tell me, John?” he asked quietly. Kris could hear that he was trying to keep himself from lashing out on his friend. John didn’t answer. He was growing afraid of Chen.

“It could explain why Jessica never showed up. It could raise my suspicions against Miggy. I could mistrust Miggy,” explained Chen.

“You would never do that, Chen,” said John confidently. “I know you, man. Even with your relationship with Jessica, you always put friends first.”

“Yeah, and where did that get me?” he snapped. “Jessica ran away from me, John. You know how much that hurts?”

John stayed quiet for a while and let Chen lash out in the garden, shouting curses into the sky. When he squatted down in a dark corner, tears streaming down his eyes, John took a step forward. Meanwhile, Kris’ necklace glowed again.

‘He must really love this girl,’ thought Kris. He darted between shadows to hear better of their conversation.

“I know it hurts man,” said John gently. He stood over Chen, not daring to step closer. “But I knew Jessica. I know she loved you as much as you loved her. Something must be wrong in their place.”

Chen turned his head to John and stood up. “You’re right. It slipped my mind that she might have encountered some trouble. How stupid of me. I’ve been so insecure of myself.”

“Enough talk, man,” said John and clamped a hand on Chen’s shoulder. “Let go see your princess.”

Just then, a phone rang. Chen rummaged his pockets till he found his phone in his back pocket. In the silence of the surroundings, Kris could hear the voice in the other line.

“Chen! John! Get over here now! It’s Jessica!” The caller was their other friend, Miggy, they called him.

“Miggy? Where are you?” replied Chen, alarm evident in his voice.

“In front of Jessica’s place. Hurry! I’ve called the fire department, but just in case, I think I might need you both here,” said Miggy, a bit breathless.

“The fire department?” said John with alarm. “Chen, c’mon!”

The two dashed out, narrowly missing Kris who was hidden in the bushes. He followed the two and hitched a ride in a cab, instructing the driver to follow Chen’s car. He had gotten what he needed, but the feeling of needing to witness what might happen is so strong, Kris couldn’t just ignore it. Soon, he caught sight of sparks flying into the night sky. He knew for sure that they weren’t fireworks.

“Mister, drop me off here,” he said, shoving a wad of cash on the driver’s lap. “Keep the change.” He ran out of the car and soon had full view of a burning house. Fire trucks were already in the scene, raining the house with water. Fire fighters were scurrying about, trying to save as many as possible. The three boys plus the rest of the family were standing in front, too helpless.

“Only Jessica is left in there,” cried an elder woman, probably Jessica’s mother.

“GET HER OUT OF THERE NOW!” demanded Chen.

“Her position is delicate, sir,” said one fire fighter. “We have to be careful.”

“I DON’T CARE! IF YOU DON’T GET MY FIANCE OUT OF THERE, WHAT WILL BE THE USE?!” yelled Chen.

“Chen, calm down—” tried John, but Chen shut him up.

“I can’t calm down, John! Do you know how serious things are?”

“I know, you idiot!” retorted John forcefully. “What your yelling does to me is worry me some more! My bestfriend is in there, Chen, not just your fiancé!”

That shut Chen up. They all looked mournfully at the burning house. Kris’ instincts acted up again, and this time they told him to help—as in, get inside the burning house. The situation was too dire to think of any other solution, so Kris crept up at the backyard and climbed thru a broken window, scraping himself in the process. Once inside, the smoke almost overwhelmed him, but he buried his nose and mouth in his shirt and pushed through, trying to find the girl.

Soon, he heard a faint sound. He followed it and it grew louder. Someone was crying and screaming for help. He went inside a room that has caught fire. The girl was trapped under some fallen wardrobe. Kris lifted the obstacle up and helped the girl to her feet.

“Come here,” he said with urgency. “Cover your nose and mouth and keep up with me, ok?”

The girl nodded and he wrapped her in his coat the best he could. The both ran through the burning house and leapt through another broken window just as something within the house exploded. Kris landed with a sickening thud on the asphalt, but at least the girl landed on top of him. Her family member plus the three boys rushed to their side quickly.

“Jessica!” exclaimed Chen. Jessica went up right in his arms and buried herself in his chest and sobbed.

“It’s alright, Jessica, it’s ok,” said Chen soothingly. “Everything’s alright now. Shh.” Eventually, the girl began to calm down.

“Jessica, are you alright?” asked her mother frantically.

“Y-Yes, mom, if not for this man,” she said, still pretty shaken. “Are you alright, mister?”

Kris struggled to get up and found that he kind of fractured his right arm. He winced, but he managed to stand up. “I’m alright. I just happened to be in the neighborhood and figured you needed help.”

“Thank you for saving my fiancé,” said Chen in a tight tone. “May I know your name?”

“I’m called Kris,” answered Kris. “Well, best be off. I have an appointment somewhere.”

“Wait!” called Jessica’s mother. “We’d like to extend our gratitude for saving my daughter.”

“No need for it, please,” said Kris. “I’m just glad the girl is safe. There’s no need, really.”

“Are you sure?” pressed Jessica. “If you like you can—”

“Not to be rude, uhm, lady,” said Kris. The pain in his arm was mounting, and he felt like he wouldn’t be able to fly any time soon. “I really do appreciate that you’re willing to pay me back, but really, it’s no big deal.”

“Oh well, if you’re sure,” said Jessica, still doubtful. “Thank you for saving my life. We’ll always remember you.”

“That would be enough for me,” said Kris with a smile.

He nodded his head and stalked off, secretly clutching his arm. It was throbbing with pain, but he was happy to have saved a life. He walked and walked until his legs were ready to give way. He sat himself on a sidewalk bench. The pain in his arm has subsided a bit, but the injury was not skin deep. He could feel that much. He tried moving it, only to wince in pain as something within his arm contracted.

“Are you feeling alright?”

Kris turned and saw the star; the one that sent him on his quest. She was smiling at him, and for a moment he forgot the pain in his arm.

“It-It’s you,” he stuttered. “I mean, yeah, hey. And no, I’m not feeling really good.”

“Let me have a look at that arm.” The star lady sat beside Kris and gently touched his arm. She closed her eyes and sent healing waves within it. A few moments later, she opened her eyes once again and smiled. Kris flexed his arm. It felt good as new.

“You had a tiny fracture in the elbow joint,” she said. “But it’s going to be ok.”

“Thank you,” said Kris. “Aren’t…Aren’t you forbidden to help me?”

“Oh no,” she said with a light laugh. “I sent you on your quest. All the while, I was watching you, making sure you got around fine. The most dangerous place you’ve ever gone to was India.”

“It’s not done yet, is it?” said Kris, looking away and focusing on the night sky.

“Yes,” she said with a sigh. “You have 8 drops now, and you have 2 weeks left. Not so much time left, I’d say.”

“Why?” asked Kris. “Will I encounter something that will cost me time?”

“I cannot tell you,” said the star lady. “I’m forbidden to do that one task: to tell the future and what might happen. But best be on your way. There’s a hostel down the road waiting for Mr. Wu Fan. Good bye again, and good luck, Kris.”

“What? Wait! Don’t go yet!” But it was too late. A blinding flash of light, and the star was gone. Kris scowled, but looking at what she did to his arm, he shrugged and lumbered off to the hostel. He crashed onto a bed and slept the rest of the night and until midmorning the next day.

Good luck, Kris. But be wary of the time. Be wary of the time, Wu Fan.