Lu Han (Wu Han)

Before the Dawn [HIATUS]

 

Chapter Four: Wu Han

-.-.-.-.-.-.-

Suho’s story touched Kris a lot that he decided to go back home for a while, in his hometown in China. As he flew inland, he followed the sun’s pace. He got in his hometown, Guangzhou, when the sun is almost gone. He made his way to the house he used to live in with his family and let the transformation take place behind the garage. He slipped into his overcoat and peered cautiously into the window. What he saw made his gasp out loud.

There was a funeral ceremony going on. His family: his mother, his father, and his brother were clad in black clothing and kneeling in front of an altar. On the altar was a black marble vase and above it hangs a picture of Kris’ grandfather. There were incense sticks burning on either side of the vase, filling the house with a sickly burnt smell. He stood immobile in front of the window that he didn’t manage to duck under the window sill when his brother saw him. His brother came just before he did and thus recognized Kris’ face in a glance. He stood up and went outside.

“Fan didi? Kris? Is that you?” he said.

Kris snapped out of his shock and saw his gege standing in front of him. He became speechless.

—flashback—

“Fan didi! Please stay! Mother never meant what she said to you! Come on, be the bigger person.”

“No!” I yelled. I was 16-year-old, yelling at my gege who is more than half a year older than me. “She always looks down on me because of how I am. She’s always done it.”

“Well, frankly, Fan, she can’t look down on you,” said my brother. “You’re even taller than father. You’re even taller than me!”

I narrowed my eyes at him. Back then, I wasn’t called Kris, but my birthname, Fan. Wu Fan. “Han gege, that’s not the point.”

“I know it isn’t,” said Han. “But please change your mind about going.”

“I’m sorry,” said I. “I’ve made up my mind.”

Wu Han gege lowered his head. “Alright. I know you’re old enough to fend for your own. But someday, I hope you’d come back to us.”

I felt sorry for leaving my favorite brother, but back then, decisions were my enemies.

--end of flashback—

“Han gege?” whispered Kris.

“Fan didi, it is you!” yelped Wu Han as he engulfed his younger brother in his arms. “It’s been so long! How have you been? Where did you stay? Are you alright? Is it--?”

“Han gege, what happened to granddad?” Kris asked suddenly. Wu Han fell silent.

“Granddad grew old and everyone in this world has to go some time,” replied Wu Han quietly. “It’s a shame, though; he really wanted to see you before he died.”

Kris again was stumped. Out of his entire family, with exception to Wu Han, his granddad is the only one he appreciates. But even he Kris left when he ran away. Kris lowered his head into his hands.

“I’m such an idiot!” he yelled angrily. He went out on the porch and sat on the steps. Wu Han gently sat with him. He patted his back as Kris sobbed in his arms. It’s been so long since they’ve been in this position.

“Fan, mother and father missed you too,” said Wu Han. “Maybe you’d like to go in and say your last words to granddad.”

Kris sniffed, wiped his tears, and nodded. Wu Han smiled at him and they walked into the house together. Upon seeing him, their mother yelped and ran up to Kris.

“Son! Son, you’re back,” she cried. Kris stared at his mother coldly, but he didn’t shove her off. His father pried his wife from Kris and stuck out his hand.

“Good to see you again, son,” he said. Kris shook the hand coldly. He then kneeled and bowed in front of the altar. He closed his eyes and imagined his grandfather kneeling in front of him, smiling.

I’m sorry, Granddad. I was young and selfish. I shouldn’t have left you when you were at the peak of your age. But if it comforts you, I’ll tell you that I thought of you all the time when I was gone.

Then, it was as if his grandfather answered him. He felt warmth and comfort envelope him.

It’s alright, Wu Fan. Don’t stress yourself because of my passing anymore. I have found peace, and someday you’ll find yours too.

Kris opened his eyes and managed to smile.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~

Later, around midnight, the brothers were given some alone time together. Kris had gone to his old room earlier and packed a backpack filled with extra clothes. He also put something under the overcoat. Then they walked all over the backyard, talking, catching up with each other. Kris told Wu Han the name he uses nowadays, and Wu Han in turn tells him his.

“One of my friends in college mispronounced my name and he said ‘Luhan’. So from then on, I’ve been called Luhan.”

“That’s a nice name,” commented Kris with a scoff.

“And Kris sounds foreign in my tongue,” retorted Luhan. The brothers laughed and continued to tell stories. Suddenly, Kris diverted the topic.

“Luhan ge, do you have a girlfriend?” he asked.

Luhan choked on air. “What? What makes you think that?”

“You’re in college! I mean, get a life,” said Kris with wild hand gestures. “You’re smart enough. Get a girl!”

Luhan hesitated. Kris sensed this and looked at him expectantly.

“Well, I do have this friend. I met him on a trip to Korea. Even in a short while, we’ve developed a close connection,” said Luhan silently.

Kris’ eyes bulged out. “’Him’?! Gege, you’re—?!”

Luhan smacked him in the head. “No I’m not! I’m perfectly straight, you rascal.”

“Oh? We were talking about you getting a girl, gege. Why the sudden mention of a guy friend?” said Kris, calming down.

“Well, when I was with him, I figured I won’t need a girl just yet because he’s such a cool friend,” said Luhan.

“You still sound diagonal,” muttered Kris. But Luhan didn’t hear. So instead, Kris said out loud, “So? What happened?”

Luhan sighed heavily. “Well, the school trip wasn’t forever, was it? So in time, I had to leave him behind. We become really close when I was there, and it was hard leaving him.”

“There is something called email nowadays. Use it, why don’t you?”

“We did email each other and we even chat at times. But he became really busy and his messages eventually stopped coming. I still message him, but it takes months for him to answer back.”

Luhan sighed and fell silent. Kris looked at his brother. He was in pain. He’s never seen his brother like this before.

Suddenly, his necklace glowed again. He looked down at it and found that the silver liquid in it has increased. He looked at Luhan and saw a tear trickle down his smooth fair cheek, slid down his well-defined jawline, and finally dropped off his chin.

Gege must’ve really liked this friend of his, may it be romantic or not. Aish, Kris, Luhan already said he was straight. Enough with these thoughts.

“I miss him a lot, Kris,” whispered Luhan as he wiped the tear away. “I miss Sehun.”

Oh, so that’s his name.

“Luhan ge, it is ok,” said Kris awkwardly and rubbed his brother’s back. “It may not be the time to tell you this, but I’ll be leaving again come morning. But don’t worry; I’m on my way to Korea. Maybe I’ll find your friend there.”

Luhan looked at Kris with a grateful look. “I would really appreciate it if you stayed, but I know I won’t be able to change your mind. If ever you find Sehun, please tell him Luhan misses him a lot.”

“I will, gege,” replied Kris.

Soon, the sun started to rise. Kris’ time was up. He patted Luhan’s back again.

“I have to go now, gege,” said Kris. “See you again soon.”

Luhan nodded and watched as Kris walked out of the main gates of the house. Once out, Kris ducked behind the garage again and turned back into an eagle. As Luhan was on his way in, he noticed something fly over his head. He looked up, but didn’t see anything, so he shrugged and went in.