twelve&fourteen;

Best Friend

Best Friend - twelve&fourteen;

Taemin is in middle school when he gains his best friend back.


Taemin's first day of middle school is terrifying. The school is huge and there are older kids everywhere. He isn't alone, in fact his friends are huddled up beside him in a small circle, but Taemin has always imagined he would be there to guide him around.

He isn't because he is still angry.

Two years is a long time to hold a petty grudge, Taemin thinks but stubborn Kibum is stubborn and he knows he can't do anything about it.

Taemin gets lost a handful of times and almost dies of relief when the dismissal bell rings. He has only taken one step into the house when his mother attacks him.

"How was it? Did you get lost? Did you make any new friends? How are your classes? Your teachers? Did you  like it? Oh, my baby is all grown up!"

He's crushed in a bear hug and smothered by his mother's love before he can reply, "It was good! I got lost a few times but everybody did. My classes are boring. The teachers are boring and I can't wait to go back!" Taemin excitedly answers.

-

Kibum and Taemin's relationship isn't completely gone, though it's not much better that. They act like what you would call 'acquaintances'. They interact, they're neighbors so it's impossible to completely ignore each other, but Kibum keeps it to a minimum. Kibum only ever talks to him whenever he deems it necessary and they never speak for more than a couple sentences.

Taemin hates how their friendship deteriorated so easily but he can't do anything about it because every time he brings it up, the older boy ignores him and walks away. After each and every attempt, Kibum neglects him even more so eventually, Taemin stops asking. He prefers the shorts sentences over the overwhelming silence.

-

The neighbors on the other side of Taemin's house move and not long after, a new family moves in. They have a son that is Kibum's age and when the two meet for the first time, Taemin can see the admiration in Kibum's eyes.

Taemin is intimidated by the boy so all he does is awkwardly exchange names. By the end of the week, Taemin can already tell that Minho has become Kibum's new best friend.

It kind of hurts.

-

Taemin's parents are hosting a 'Welcome to the Neighborhood' barbeque for the Choi family when he gets a taste of what life would be like if Kibum becomes his friend again.

He's helping his mother replenish the refreshments table when Kibum calls out for him.

"Tae-ah!" that nickname. "Come here!"

Taemin bites his bottom lip and places the stack of napkins he's holding in its rightful place before slowly walking over to where Kibum and Minho are standing.

"Yeah?" Taemin asks and Minho awkwardly starts digging his sneaker-clad foot into the grass.

"Well, Minho's been here for like a month and you two haven't become friends, yet! I'm going to be a good friend here and leave you two to talk while I go grab some snacks, 'kay? Have fun!" Kibum says cheerfully before pushing the two boys closer together and walking away.

When he comes back, Taemin and Minho are still not talking so Kibum frowns and starts talking animately to fill the gaps.

Taemin doesn't mind and just listens to Kibum blabber. He can't help but notice that Minho is blatantly staring at Kibum as well.

-

"Tae-ah!" Taemin is taking out the trash when Kibum calls him. He walks to the fence separating their yards and peers at the older boy. They're both finally tall enough to see over the fence.

Kibum is lounging around on a pink-and-white-checkered picnic blanket, wearing a pair of oversized sunglasses.

"Hyung?"

"Are you doing anything this weekend?"

Taemin pauses, going over the question. "No?"

"Do you," Kibum pauses, biting his bottom lip, "do you want to go watch a movie or something with me then? Maybe catch up?"

Taemin stares at the older boy in shock, mouth slightly open. Kibum fidgets and pushes his sunglasses further up on his nose.

"Sure?"

"Great!" Kibum smiles and Taemin thinks that its radiance is even brighter than the sun.

"Yeah, yeah," Taemin mutters and then remembers that he has some chores to finish. "Oh! I...have...to go..." he says awkwardly with pauses.

Kibum chuckles, "Okay. I'll text you later."

Taemin nods and takes a small step back, still facing Kibum.

"I've missed you, Tae-ah," Kibum says quietly and Taemin almost doesn't hear it.

"Um," Taemin stutters before smiling softly at the older boy. "Me too."

-

"Taemin-ah, do you have a girlfriend?"

Taemin's head snaps up from where he's hanging it over his bowl of cereal and immediately he starts objecting, "No, umma! I don't!"

"Really? Then why are you so happy lately?" his mother asks, a suspicious look on her face.

"It's just," Taemin bites on his spoon,"Kibum hyung has started to hang out with me again."

"Oh! Really?"

"Yeah."

"I'm glad, baby," she says contently and wraps her arms around Taemin. "I told you he would come around."

"Took him two years but I'm just glad he's back," Taemin agrees and smiles at his mother when she pulls away.

"Now hurry up, you're going to be late."

"I'm done!" Taemin jumps up and runs into the living to grab his bag. "I'm going, umma!"

"Be careful, baby!"

"Bye!" Taemin shuts the front door and turns around to see Kibum standing in front of his house. "Hyung!"

"Hi, Tae-ah! Come on, let's go to school," Kibum says brightly and holds out his hand. Taemin takes it and they start walking.

This is what he needs. Kibum is what he needs and he's glad to finally have him back.


Taemin was in middle school when he gained his best friend back.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hello, hello~ here's another update.

School is starting for me in exactly TWO days so I'm going to be busy so I'm trying really hard to finish this series between now and the 7th D:

I'm almost done. I have like 3 or 4 more chapters to write and this baby will be FINISHED~ but I'm scared they will seem rushed /sighs

I'll try my best, everyone.

I HOPE YOU ENJOY~

also, one last thing, my birthday is coming up! whoop whoop! it's the same day as when I start school OTL

OKAY BYE NOW

-hanny