five&seven;

Best Friend

Best Friend - five&seven

Taemin is sitting in his backyard, carelessly banging two of his toy action figures together when he meets his new neighbor for the first time.


"Hi."

The short greeting startles Taemin and he looks up to see a boy roughly his age peering at him through the gaps of the fence separating the two lawns.

When the boy sees that he has the attention of Taemin, he repeats the greeting, more enthusiastic this time, "Hi!"

Taemin doesn't know how to react to the stranger so he does the only thing a five year old child in his situation can do: he runs.

In his state of scared frenzy, Taemin completely forgets that they have a glass door and he slams painfully into it.

"Are you okay?" the strange boy shouts from his position on the other side of the fence.

Taemin stands up, despite the burning pain in his cheeks from hitting the glass, and uses both hands to open the door.

He slams the door shut behind him and immediately spins around to observe the strange boy through the glass.

"Taemin-ah! Are you okay? What happened? Why did you run into the door?"

Taemin turns to look at his mom with big eyes. "Umma, strange boy outside. He said 'hi'."

At this his mother immediately picks him up and looks outside to see if someone was being a e with her son. She relaxes when all she sees is a small boy sulking on the other side of their fence.

"That must be the Kims' son," she says quietly before setting Taemin down and crouching to be eye-level with him. "Taemin-ah, that is your new neighbor."

"Neh-bur?" Taemin tries to imitate the word, eyebrows scrunched up in effort.

"Yes, baby. He just moved here so it is your job to become his first friend, okay?"

"But he's strange. I don't-"

"Lee Taemin, what did I say about being polite?"

Taemin pouts and tries to wiggle out of his mother's hold when she picks him up to go outside.

"Umma!" he whines and buries his face in the crook of his mother's neck when his attempts to escape fail.

"Hi!" Taemin hears the strange boy say again. "I'm Kim Kibum and I just moved here!"

"Hello Kibum. I am Mrs. Lee and this is my son, Taemin."

Taemin feels himself being placed on the ground and he hesitantly turns around to face his new neighbor. He lifts a hand to wave shyly and jumps when the other boy lets out a loud shriek.

"You're so cute, Tae-ah!" Kibum squeals and then promptly tries to reach through the fence to pinch Taemin's puffy cheeks.

Taemin unconsciously moves back immediately and a frown forms on Kibum's face.

"You're scared of me?" he asks as tears fill his eyes.

"N-" Taemin starts but is interrupted by the sudden cries of the other boy. Before he can say or do anything else, Kibum turns and flees to his house.

"Umma," Taemin turns to his mom with wide eyes.

"It's okay, baby. Let's go bake some cookies to give to Kibum, okay?"

Taemin only nods and wraps his arms around his mother's neck when she picks him up to go into the house.



Taemin stands in front of Kibum's bedroom door with a plate of freshly baked cookies in his hands. He tries to figure out the best way to knock since both of his hands are occupied and decides on kicking.

Kibum opens the door after three kicks and visibly brightens up when he sees Taemin.

"Tae-ah, you're here!"

"Uh, cookies. For. You."

"Why?" Kibum his head to the side in confusion.

"I'm sorry." Taemin offers the plate to Kibum but he doesn't take it.

"It's okay, Tae-ah! Do you want to play with me?"

Taemin opens his mouth to answer but doesn't get a chance to.

"We can play House! You'll be my baby!"

"Baby? But-"

"Or we can play hide-and-seek. Do you like hide-and-seek, Tae-ah?"

"Y-yes."

"Okay! Do you want to come into my room?" Kibum asks even though he's already pushing Taemin into the mostly pink room.

"We can eat cookies later." Kibum takes the plate of cookies and places them on his bed. When he turns back to Taemin, his face is scrunched up in worry.

"What's wrong?" Taemin asks, now worried himself.

"We're...friends now, right?"

Taemin is taken aback for a second before he smiles brightly and answers, "Yes!"

Kibum mirrors his smile and bounds over to him to grasp his small hands.

"I lied. We're playing House. You can be my baby, okay?"

"W-what?"


Taemin was sitting in his backyard, carelessly banging two of his toy action figures together when he met his best friend for the first time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ugh, I just now realized how lame this is. Oh well. I REGRET NOTHING. I hope you at least enjoyed it a bit?

Also, in case you didn't catch it, Taemin is five and Kibum is seven in here. ^^

"Tae-ah" is from here~

OKAY, OKAY, last note (this is longer than the actual story). OTL

This may or may not be continued. I might write some scenes of them at different ages but I'm not sure. We'll see how it goes. :)

BYE~~~~

-hanny