Chapter 5

I fell....in love with the enemy

Youngbae opened his eyes and looked up. He dared not to look around as he knew he wasn’t in a familiar area as he breathed cautiously.

He blinked as he looked up at the white ceiling then silently to his right and left---he was all in one piece. Except the sound of a monitor beeping near his bed side. Youngbae noticed that he was hooked on to an IV chord into his left arm.

A hospital? He thought as memories of last night quickly flooded into his mind.

Quickly looking around, he noticed the room was simple, a large bed, with a table, chair and a window in front of him.

No, he thought, this…this  can’t be a hospital.

Youngbae blinked a few times then examined himself, he was except having large bandages covering his main torso, arms and legs..but other than that nothing with the sheets covering himself.

He tried to get up but failed as pain suddenly struck his whole body. “Arggh--!”

“Yah! What are you doing?!”a familiar voice said.

Youngbae looked over to the voice, “S-Sunye?”

 

~~~

Yoobin felt something warm next to her as she woke up. It was barely morning but she knew who it was. An arm was draped around her in a close squeeze behind her. Yoobin turned around slowly and there he was, Seunghyun quietly snoozing away.

 

Couple of hours ago…

Seunghyun quickly let go of Yoobin as he turned slight red.

“…I’m sorry, I shouldn’t---“

“It’s… alright.” Yoobin said calmly. Surely that somewhat took her by surprise.

Seunghyun tried to get up, “I should leave..”  but Yoobin held him back.

“You can’t…not like that. You’re still wounded.”

He sighed, “But…”

“No buts..you should stay. I’ll go gather some blankets.”

 

And that was it..they probably talked into the night that they fell asleep which was unusual for her. Yoobin doesn’t do nice. But she had to, for the sake of the bad dealing that went on last night—oh wait..Taeyang!

Looking around, Yoobin got up quietly to get her phone. But as she picked it up, she looked at the mirror in front of her. Yoobin has several marks on her face including a patch on her neck. It didn’t look too bad but to other it may be worse. With a cold stare she quickly dialed Taeyang’s cell. As much hope she had, she knew the line was dead.

With a sigh, “Tae…what happened to you?”

 

~~~

“S-Sunye…”

She smiled at him as she placed a tray of soup on the night stand. “What are you doing trying to get up?” Sunye asked trying to pat him down.

Youngbae shook his head, “What happened last night?”

“Well…scaring the daylights out of me and nearly dying  should ring a bell..Shouldn’t I be asking you that question?” Sunye said, giving him a stare.

“I…there was an accident.” He said calmly. ‘I’ve gotten hurt.”

“Yeah…two bullets in the gut, three broken ribs, fracture to the knee and a huge bruise to the face. I wouldn’t say that as a small ‘hurt’.” Sunye stated as she pointed to his chest.

Youngbae looked at her, What was she implying?

“Where am I?”

“You’re at my place..I helped patch you up.”

Youngbae nodded as he looked at the beeping IV machine next to him, “And..I don’t think everyone owns an IV machine…unless they are in a hospital..why is that, Miss Sunye?” eyeing her.

For the first time, Youngbae saw a small smirk curved on her lips. He was always seeing her as a shy but caring woman.  Sunye slightly chuckled.

“A secret shared with me needs a secret shared by you, Youngbae.

 

~~~

 

A familiar smell arose in the air as Seunghyun tried to open his eyes from sleep. Muffins?

He got up and looked around still remembering he was at Yoobin’s place last night and that kiss. Seunghyun rubbed his forehead, What was I thinking?  It was terrible enough that he pushed her in danger and yet, pushing in a kiss? That was not his own doing.

“Morning.”  He heard a voice say

 

Turning around, he noticed that Yoobin was cooking some eggs on the stove behind him. The living room was small with a tiny kitchen. The sliding door to the other wall was probably her room.

“Same to you.” He replied.

Opening the oven, she took out fresh baked goods which were the muffins that Seunghyun smelled. Yoobin gently placed it on the table in front of him, “You must be hungry. Eat one.”

Without hesitation, Seunghyun grabbed one. It was rare for him to be eating something sweet in the morning but this muffin was just right. “You made these?”

She nodded as she went back to the eggs, placing them into another plate. “Yeah. Everything in my café is home made.”

“You’re a great baker.” Seunghyun complimented.

Yoobin grinned, “I tried…So, how’s your hand?”

Seunghyun nearly forgotten about his wound as he looked at his right hand. He placed the muffin on the table and tried to move it which he regretted as pain shot through his fingers.

“Ah…” he started but Yoobin quickly held his hand.

“Don’t move your fingers like that!” she scolded. Looking at it again, she gently massaged his hand as he was able to move his fingers in a slow motion.

 “If you go like this..you should be fine.”

Seunghyun smiled, “Thanks, Doc.” He commented as Yoobin made a face.

“I was just helping.” she stated.

“I am grateful. How are you feeling?”

Yoobin looked at him, “I’m alive to say the least. What was going on last night, anyways?” she asked but Seunghyun hesitated.

“I..well..it’s a long story.” He replied.

Yoobin causally looked at the clock, “We got time.”

Sighing, Seunghyun nodded as he looked at her sternly, “Have you heard of Queen B?

 

~~~

 

“….I used to be a nurse.” Sunye said.  “Before I moved here, I was young, working at a prestigious hospital with famous doctors around the world. But as it happened, there were no more funding and it had to be shut down. Medicine and greedy doctors are expensive, you know.” She explained.

Youngbae nodded. “And as it shut down, you took some of the equipment?”

Sunye smiled, “Yes. Just in case, someone had a life-threatening accidents.” She said, eyeing him but Youngbae lightly chuckled.

“..Thank you, Sunye.”

With a small grin, “Now…tell me about you..” Sunye said.

Youngbae hesitated. What should I say? It was going to be weird if I just casually say I am a part of most wanted gang in all of Korea—or worst, the world.

“..I was eating at a restaurant ” He started not until Sunye’s cell phone rang from her pocket, “Oh! Hold that thought, Youngbae.” She motioned as she went out of the room.

 

“…hello?”

 

As she left the room, Youngbae sighed in relief. He had just a few more minutes till she will come back. ‘Maybe..if there is a way to get out of here’  he thought . Youngbae looked around and saw there was a window..but was he able to even reach it.

He was already leaning against the head board of the bed so he pushed off his legs to the side of the bed as he tried to get off. But boy, was that a mistake, pain struck against his chest and legs.  Holding back a grunt, Youngbae noticed that he wasn’t wearing anything.

Youngbae almost chuckled. “…I guess, Sunye had a lot to look at.” Looking around, he noticed that a set of clean dark blue shorts and a white T-shirt.

Lumping towards the table, he quickly put on the shorts despite the screaming pain in his body. I have to keep moving! He thought

But as Youngbae attempted to put on the T-shirt, he overheard Sunye talking in the hallway
 

“Yah..Oppa, I’m alright. I don’t think I’ll make it to work today…yeah, I just got a little..cold..What? no! I’m fine!..urm, listen…”


Oppa? She must be talking to Seunghyun! They are cousins after all, it wouldn’t be Seunghyun if he didn’t call.’ Youngbae thought as he listened near the door. ‘I have to do something if she spills out that I was there!’


“..There’s something I need to tell you about and I’m not sure how to explain it. Where were you last night?...Yeah, I thought it was something like that. Well, I was closing, I saw some firetrucks and then---“

 

Suddenly the phone was smacked out of her hand on the floor by Youngbae and  without hesitation, grabbed the back of Sunye’s head and captured with an open kiss.

 

~~~

 

“Hello?...Sunye? Sunye!”
 

Seunghyun looked at the phone and sighed, “..Probably the connection.” He hung up the phone, placing it into his pocket. He was in the front porch of Yoobin’s small home. What was interesting about the home is the stone walls around the house and tall wooden gate in front. It was in a very country style type of home and even the neighborhood as he looked around. But what he liked about it is…the quietness.


“What’s wrong?”

He turned around as Yoobin looked at him, still wearing her sweats and long sleeve t-shirt. Seunghyun shook his head, “Nothing. Sunye told me she got a small cold so she won’t be in today…”

“That’s fine. I believe Yu Eun has it covered.” She said as she shivered a bit. It was a little chilly in the morning.

Seunghyun nodded as he walked closer to her, he looked down as Yoobin also looked up. “So…” he started but didn’t finish his sentence as he continued to look at her. Just looking, no words were being exchange.

Her eyes were deep brown but since the sun was already up in the sky, there was a hint of hazel. Yoobin’s lips were settled as she breathed in and out.

No matter how hard Seunghyun looks at her, he couldn’t sense anything. No emotion, no thought or anything!

But Yoobin was the one that made the move, she took his hand and placed his car keys on his hand, “Keys?”

He glanced at them and made an ‘Oh’ sound.It was his car keys. Yoobin has used his car to drive back to her place.

Yoobin slightly chuckled, something to lighten the mood. “You need to stop looking at me like that. I am a human being, you know.”

“But you’re actually more than that…”

Sensing his comment, Yoobin looked at him curiously.

Seunghyun shook his head, “I meant what I said last night. You are different. I can..sense things. It’s not a bad thing either with you, I mean and.. I like it.” He said with a genuine smile.

Yoobin made a little face, “Are you sure you are okay?”

“I'm better.” He nodded, “Thanks for everything.  And about what I told you, Queen B? I hear she’s quite the mastermind. A woman...doing deals with other gangs and yet someone elseblew up a whole restaurant just for her head? Sheesh…I don’t know how she does it.”

“And are you saying that because she is a woman, we can’t all be masterminds?”

Seunghyun smirked and looked at her, “That was not my intention, Miss Yoobin…but I want you to be careful.” He stated. “There are lots of things out there where it should be hidden if not, perish.” He said with a cold tint in his eyes.

Yoobin didn’t say anything as she sense a little bit of anger. “What things?” she dared to ask.

 

“Do you believe in monsters?”

 

“W-what?”

 

“There are people. And then there are monsters. Society isn’t what it is anymore, people who do bad things do not confront themselves with their sins—in that case, monsters.”  Seunghyun explained as he gripped his fist.

“Seunghyun…” Yoobin said gently.

But he shook it off, “I’m sorry. I probably have scared you in a way. I should go…” Seunghyun said as he quickly turned around towards the tall wooden gate.

As he barely touched the door, he heard Yoobin call after him. Seunghyun dared himself to turn around and as he did, he noticed Yoobin hesitation but she ran towards him.

 

Without thinking, he opened his arms as Yoobin jumped up, wrapped her arms around his neck for a strong passionate kiss.

Their hands were everywhere as Yoobin muzzled his hair and Seunghyun strong hands around her back. They kissed a few more minutes as Yoobin continued to touch his strong chest until Seunghyun had to break it.

As they panted, slowing their breath, touching forehead to forehead. Yoobin made a small smile, “You be careful…I’ll see you around, Mr.Choi.” she said giving him a quick kiss then walking back to her door.

Seeing her back, all Seunghyun could say was ‘WOW’.

 

Moments after Seunghyun had left, Yoobin quickly took off her long sleeve t-shirt and sighed. “…Glad he was gone.”  She stated, touching her tattooed shoulders, “..I wanted to wear a tank top but I couldn’t. tsk, he was such a handful..”

 

Yoobin placed a finger on her bottom lip, remembering what they had just done—or rather what she done as another smirk came across her lips.

 

Feelings? Never. Yoobin is Queen B, after all.

 

“That fool doesn’t know what hit him…” she said as she took out Seunghyun’s cellphone out of her pocket.   

 

~~~

 

Youngbae abruptly let go of Sunye, wide eyed, “Sunye..!” he said, feeling a quick motion of drowsiness then then out.

Sunye quickly gathered him in her arms as she was trying to hold his weight. She was surprised at what Youngbae did that she had injected him with a tranquilizer needle.

With a sigh, she shook her head, “What..will I do with you?”

 

 Youngbae opened his eyes. It was a little blurry but as he blinked a few more times, he noticed Sunye was standing over him.

“Are you alright?” she stated.

Youngbae slowly nodded. “I’m sorry of what I did.”

Sunye looked a little mad as she didn’t answer but crossed her arms, “You should be.”

“I’m …not someone you think I am” He said as he tried to move towards her. But as he did, he felt something metal on both his wrist. Youngbae looked down; Sunye had handcuffed him to the bed!

“..What...what is this?”

Sunye made a face, “You scared me, Youngbae. I had no choice but after that stunt you did, I injected you with a tranquilizer.”

 

“A tranquilizer?! What, I am not a dangerous person, Sunye!” he rejected as he wiggled around in the handcuffs.

 

“Then what do you say about this?” Sunye pulled out a tablet, on the screen it was showing the news titled “Restaurant in pieces, gang related”:

A woman reporter was saying:

Dozens died from last night rampage in an Italian restaurant. Sources say that it was gang related as there was an illegal trade involving guns and money. Apparently, among that group was the famous mob ran by Alfronzo. He was the main leader of the trade but it has gone wrong as another gang came, rampaging the whole building with a bomb. Alfronzo’s body was found with gun wounds. As ironic as it seems, the man who killed him also died by a knife on the forehead.

Not only that, it’s been said that Queen B, the infamous woman, a gang leader and killer. It just been in that she was recently been successfully murdering CEO’s around the world and is reported to be in Korea. Everyone including police is now looking for her---‘

 

Sunye paused it as she bought the tablet back to her chest. “Are you….” She said slowly.

 

Youngbae looked away but nodded as he gave a cold look, “I am....

                                                              I am one of them.”

~~~

 

“Ah! There you are, Yoobin!”  Ye Eun said happily as Yoobin stepped inside in the café.  “We been packed since we opened, we need you!”

Yoobin nodded, “Alright alright! I got you covered now.”

Within the busy lunch hours, Yu Eun and Yoobin along with the help of the other girls, Sohee and Sunmi worked until it was just an easy slow hour till closing.

“I’ll be in my office,” Yoobin yelled out as she went into the hallway to her door.

Placing down some receipts on the table in the middle of the room, Yoobin stood there for a moment and sighed, “You know, when I said ‘See you later’, I didn’t mean…today, again.”

She said as she turned around. “..Mr.Choi.”
 

Seunghyun smiled as he walked to her, “I guess, I couldn’t wait.”

Yoobin crossed her arms, “What do you need.” After a couple of hard hours, she actually wanted a rest. Yes, Queen B needs a break sometimes.
 

“I just wanted to see you.”


She looked at him weirdly but Seunghyun waved his hands, “I mean, not in a scary way. Not only I wanted to see if you are okay but I went back to the police station. Apparently, everyone’s a little shaken up of what happened last night.”

Yoobin didn’t say anything as Seunghyun continued, “I believe after we ran off, the whole place was destroyed, they found dozens of bodies there. The man that we last encountered, the one you threw the knife at, was a gang leader.”

“And? You knew what was happening didn’t you?” Yoobin asked.

“Yes. I’m sorry I lied. But it was coincidence that we were eating there and it was the place that I was assigned to. There was supposed to be an illegal dealing and resources had told me…” he stopped.
 

 “What did you find out?” asked Yoobin.

Seunghyun breathed in.  “They knew that Queen B was in the building once we entered the restaurant” he stated.

“My mission was finding and eliminating, Queen B¸ the killer.” He confessed.

 

Yoobin narrowed her eyes. She had no expression as she was the Queen B.
 

“And?”
 

“That’s it…Queen B wasn’t found in the burning building but it was reported that many of those that were inside has barely made it out—most of the gangs died.” Seunghyun said as he came closer to her, he took both her arms gently and pulled her in. Looking into her eyes, “Apparently, I feel that I’ve gotten you in more danger than I participated.”

Yoobin looked away, after hearing that many of the members had died in the poker room that she was just in were gone in just one night.  ‘Alfronzo…it can’t be. And Taeyang?!...NO.’

“Hey..are you alright?” Seunghyun said in concern.

Yoobin nodded, “I’m…okay. It’s just, things are unexpected, right?” she said as she touched Seunghyun’s cheek. There was still a faint scratch.
 

Seunghyun leaned against her touch, it was addicting. He nodded, “I will protect you.” He whispered as he quickly turned around.

“Danger….”

“What is it--?” Yoobin said as a minute later, they heard a crash of plates and screams.  As they reached for the door, Seunghyun ran out first.

‘…He could hear the sounds before I do?’ thought Yoobin.
 

Quickly but cautiously going down the hallway, they saw some of the customers standing in terror. Yoobin looked at the counter, seeing Ye Eun and Sohee in one corner as Sunmi was trembling in fear as tears went down her cheeks. Her arm had a cut as the blood dripped down.

A boy, not younger or older than Sohee and Sunmi, had a small knife in hand. He was wearing baggy clothes that were old and dusty, his hood was on but you can see dirt marks on his cheeks. 
 

“G-GIVE ME ALL OF THE MONEY…NOW!!” he yelled at Sunmi, who was nervously trying to work the cash register. But with nerves, the machine was opening correctly.

Seunghyun and Yoobin stood silently at the corner. As they were both standing there, Seunghyun was about to go forward but Yoobin pushed him back, “Wait…Look at his movements, he’s nervous.”

Seunghyun looked and she was correct, the boy was fidgeting. But what she couldn’t do was sense his emotions and mind. ‘I hurt someone, I can’t believe I hurt someone..’ was there two sentences he heard from the boy.  

Sunmi finally got the machine out  but the boy quickly reached over and grabbed the money himself. With a scream, Sunmi fell backward. The boy attempted to run but was pulled back by Yoobin, who took the money out of his hands

“Hey…where do you think you’re going, kid?”

He turned around, Yoobin had no facial emotion but stared at him. “You’re doing a bad sin.”

With a scoffed, he mocked her, “Y-Yeah! What are YOU gonna do about it, LADY?!” he said.

“Trying to act tough, isn’t gonna work, kid.” Yoobin commented. It was just as easy for her to knock him out but she'll be easy.

“DON’T call me kid!”

Yoobin looked at the several bills she had in her hands, “If you wanted something to eat, you should’ve asked. Hurting people is not a good thing. Look, you made everyone get scared---you hurt on of the workers.” She pointed out.

The boy said nothing as he stood there. Yoobin couldn’t see his eyes because of the hood but she knew where he came from, the streets. Surviving in a world where it’s hard to even ask is the worst.

Pulling out a donut, Yoobin placed it in front of him, “Here, eat this.”

The boy hesitated. He looked at Yoobin then the donut then back again at her. In quick motions, he took the donut and then tried to stab her with the knife,…

...again it was blocked.
 

This time by Seunghyun. His wound hand caught the blade and he squeezed it as blood dripped on the the ground.

“Ah--!” the boy yelled but stopped as Seunghyun him out, falling into the ground.

With him on the ground, relief in the in air as the customers confronted each other.  Yoobin sighed, “You didn’t have to hurt him, Seunghyun.” She said.

“…He attacked you. Besides, I was the one who said to stay behind not you to go first!”

“I would have taken care of it.” Yoobin said but motioned him elsewhere, “Just take him to my office, there’s a couch there.”

Seunghyun agreed as he picked the boy up by taking him over his shoulder. Yoobin frowned, “Yah. Gently! He’s just a boy.”

“Heh, Yes, mother.” He mocked.

With another sigh, Yoobin quickly when to the workers, “Are you all right?”

“We’re okay,” Ye Eun said with Sohee. “Sunmi was the one that gotten a little cut…”

“I’m..fine.” Sunmi stated. “I just need a band aid that’s all.”

Yoobin quickly took her arm and examined it, and it was true. It wasn’t a deep cut but still a wound.

“It’s alright, I’ll go tend it now.” Sunmi said as Sohee followed with her.

Yoobin nodded as she looked around; there were several broken plates and glass but not much. How much damage can this boy do?’  she thought.

 “That boy really did scare us. Sunmi was the one trying to take his order but as she did, he tried to cut her and threaten to give him money.” Ye Eun explained as she took out a broom. “You should go check on Seunghyun and that boy. I got everything taken care of..don’t worry. “ said Ye Eun as she smiled.

Yoobin nooded, “It’s a good thing I was here. I wanted to talk not knock him out.”

“Well..you can probably talk some sense into Seunghyun.” Ye Eun winked.

Yoobin, a little taken back, “..What is that wink for?”

With a smirk, Ye Eun pushed her a little to the hallway to the office, “Go go!”

 

In the office, Seunghyun had placed the boy on the couch. He sat in front of the coffee table that was in front of the couch. Seunghyun continued to examine him and sure enough, it seemed that he hasn’t been eating. His clothes were dirty and were torn.

Seunghyun sighed as he looked at his open wound hand, it was bleeding again.

“You know..I wanted this to be a one on one talk, not having a bloody mess in my café would be nice” stated Yoobin as she entered the room with a first aid kit. She kneeled next to him and took his hand, bandaging it up.

“It would but in this case, I don’t believe so.” Seunghyun stated.

“And why is that?”

“…I heard his thoughts.” He said as Yoobin stopped wrapping his hand as she looked up at him.

"..You heard it?”

Seunghyun nodded, “As I explained before, I can hear things. When I get a bad feeling, it is usually true. I just…wasn’t sure about this one.”

“Maybe that’s why I should have taken care of this situation.”

He made a face, “Yoobin.”

“Well…you know, I don’t want you hurt either.” Said Yoobin.

Seunghyun smiled, “Really?”

As Yoobin was about to answer, the boy started to move around in his sleep. They both turned to look. “I’ll be right back.” She said and then poked his forehead, “And don’t beat him up.”

~~~

The boy woke up. Laying on something soft was something foreign to him, never had he felt something soft in his life before. ‘Oh no..am I in the hospital?!’

He quickly got up but felt a strike of blood rush in his head as he held in head in pain.

“…If you get up too quick, you’ll get dizzy, boy.”

Turning around he noticed a man sitting in front of him with a grim smirk. Without a word, the boy tried to get off the couch.

“Sit.” The man commanded but he didn’t trust him, after all that man was the one that knocked him out in the first place!

But his legs wouldn’t move. It was either he hadn’t rest in so long or the fact that he was intimated. So his legs gave in as he sat down.

“Tell me…What are you doing, trying to rob a café like this?”  the man said.

The boy said nothing but examined him and noticed that he had a gun carefully hidden in his belt. The man in front of him followed his gaze and noticed he was looking at his gun as he smirked bigger.

“I am a cop. My name is Seunghyun.”  He said to him. “You shouldn’t worry, I’m not going to report you…...yet—ow!” Seunghyun said as another woman beside him hit him with the back of her hand.

“Don’t say that.” She said, as she looked at the boy.

With a gentle smile, “I’m Yoobin…” she said.

The boy looked up at her, ‘She was the one that offered me a donut..and I tried to hurt her.”  He thought then quickly looked down at his hands which were filled with filth.

He then heard some plates in front of him on the coffee table, “Here.” Yoobin said, “We had some left overs. You can eat it.”

The boy looked at the several plates in front of him, there was a sandwich, fries, pie and a croissant and a glass of milk next to it. Without hesitation or even a look at both the new strangers—Seunghyun and Yoobin. He quickly charged at it, grabbing everything in front of him eating everything in sight.

Seunghyun almost widen his eyes. This was the first time he ever saw a kid—a boy, almost fighting for his life for some food. The way he was grabbing the sandwich, eating it with handfuls of fries and drinking. Even though, the boy was the only one eating, it was like he was trying to mark his territory as he touched everything around him. But Seunghyun had to admit it, it was pitiful. 

He also sensed his emotions as the only thing the boy cared about was survival.

Yoobin, of course, was standing there. With her arms crossed, she turned slightly and noticed that Sunmi also entered the room, watching almost scared seeing how the boy was furiously eating the food.

As the boy almost finished eating, Yoobin spoke up, “Well, now. Is that better?”

He still didn’t reply but sat there quietly. But it was okay, Yoobin knew how to handle these types.

“Tell us one thing, obviously, if you feel like you owe us something,  What is your name?”

 The boy sat still, but Yoobin knew, it was a little trick that she knew about ‘trading’.
If you do one thing, I’ll do another.

Without hesitation, he opened his mouth and pulled back his hood. Messy black hair covered his forehead but it wasn’t until you see his eyes. They were dark—almost with sadness, loneliness or anger.

 

 

“My name...” he stated.

“…. is Seungri.”