chapter 3

I fell....in love with the enemy

 

 

“Yah!” Youngbae yelled as he abruptly slide down from the wall after being almost strangled to death.“That..wasn’t fair…Y-Yoobin!”

Yoobin turned  and ignore him, sitting on the bed, “I asked you a question. Who is Choi Seunghyun?” she demanded as she crossed her arms.

He shook his head, “Honestly, I don’t know..a rookie—?“

“Rookie?” Yoobin interrupted.

“Well he is..he was the shooter…wait, oh no.” Youngbae got up and all the lights to fully look at her.

There she was, sitting on his bed, wet with blood stained clothes and dirt face mix with red stain as if she freshly came out of a bloody fight in the rain.

He gathered her in his arms, examining her, “Are you okay? Did you get hurt?” Youngbae said, pulling her chin forward and sure enough, those dark red stains were blood.

 Pulling away, she replied, “I’m fine,”

Not taking that for an answer, Youngbae pulled off her jacket, “Y-yah!” she yelled. But Youngbae persisted and sighed, “I need clean you up. You got cuts all over and look, you’re bleeding!” he yelled at her, pointing to her shoulder.

Quickly going to his bathroom, he took out a clean towel then walked over to Yoobin, kneeling down in front of her, he sighed “Why don’t you take care of yourself…” he said as he wiped her right arm. The towel turned a different light brown color as it revealed her other tattoo. On the back of her shoulder blade, reveals a peacock with it’s colorful wings going down her arm; just like her other arm with the phoenix.

“And Look at you.” Yoobin simply said as she pointed to his hand, which was forming a small bruise.

He frowned, “Well you should know who kicked me.” Youngbae sarcastically said but Yoobin looked away.

Still quiet, Youngbae took the warm wash cloth to wipe her face but she winched in pain. “S-Stop it.”  she said.

“Yah. I have to! You’re still wearing that foundation to cover your tattoos, how else am I supposed to get it out, Am I not gentle enough?” Youngbae said, looking at her.

“Well,…usually Daesung does this stuff.”

Youngbae chuckled, “He does? Well,..What if he’s not there then who do you ask to help you get patched up?”

“You.” Yoobin admitted.

He looked up, almost surprised at her answer.

Yoobin didn’t even bother looking at him, “Beside Daesung, You are my f-friend, Youngbae. I thank you for that. Even if you are on the police force—it’s always been your dream, I didn’t stop you nor did you stop me for what I do. ”

“Or else I would have been a traitor” Youngbae whispered but then with a chuckle, he said “Well you don’t have to be so polite. Ms. Queen B.”

“Don’t call me that. I’m… not her right now.” She said quietly.

“Well with this hair, tattoos, and that stubborn attitude of yours. It sure is you.”

Yoobin sighed, “Whatever. Are you done?”

“Yeah, but you need a shower.” Youngbae said as he got up, “Get off my bed and go, I already put clothes in there.”

“T-thanks.” Yoobin said. She was thankful to have a person like him, even after every dealing  that she does, Yoobin always have time to go to his place—wounded or not.

As she got up, she suddenly fell against him, “Ouch.!”

 But luckily, Youngbae got a hold of her, “You alright?”

“Da.mn I think I sprained my ankle…” Yoobin said pulling up her jean and sure enough her ankle was swollen.

Youngbae sighed, “Alright, YB. I’ll help you.”

After helping Yoobin walk to the bathroom with no spills, Youngbae cleaned up and sat in the living room, waiting for her. He was happy that he was able to dodge the ‘Who is Choi Seunghyun’ question for a while but knew that he would have to explain to her what he knew. His dog, Boss was on his bed already sleeping after he got use to seeing Yoobin.

“The police are wrong once again…”

Youngbae looked up, Yoobin stood there in a big T-shirt and sweats as she was holding a file—her file.

“W-where did you get that?” Youngbae asked ,quickly going to her.

Pulling out from Youngbae’s reach, she read, “There latest reports about me are terribly wrong…you should fire them all—much less kill them.”

With a stern voice, Youngbae glared, “Yoobin.” He said taking her arm.

She merely scoffed as she looked at him, “Tell me. What’s your mission?”

Letting go of her arm, he looked at her in a serious state.

 

“You.”

 

~~~

A loud buzzer was heard loudly in the room as the alarm clock hit Seunghyun in the head. Goaning, he turned over and looked at the time. It was his day off!

“Ugh…why did I have an alarm on when it’s my day off?” Seunghyun said outloud. Placing the pillow over his head, he continue to drift off to sleep but felt a hard whack against his head.

“OW!” he yelled. Seunghyun got up and looked at who was the one that hit him. Standing there in front of him was Sunye with an angry face.

“YAH! You are supposed to take me to work!”

Seunghyun frowned. “Oh yeah---OW!” he said when Sunye hit him again, “HURRY UP! I’m LATE!...Yoobin is going to yell at me!”

Hearing her name, Seunghyun’s sense perked up, Yoobin? Oh yeah…I forgot she the coffee girl

“Okay, Okay, But this means, I’m coming in with you!”

“What?—ugh, Fine! Just hurry!”

~~~

Yoobin stood placing in all the trays of baked goods on its individual plates to serve for the customers. She was a little lost in thought as she sighed.

“You know..I think my grandmother can do that faster than you, Yoobin.” Said Yeeun who nudged her.

“Huh? …oh.” She muttered.

Taking the plates from her, Yeeun said, “It’s okay. What’s up with you? Looks like you been distracted.”

Yoobin shook her head, “It’s nothing. Probably lack of sleep last night..” she said. It was true that last night..was the longest night she fought with Youngbae.

 

 

“Me?...You gotta be sh.iting with me, here.” Said Yoobin as she threw the file on the ground. Taking a step back from Youngbae, who was silent.

She scoffed, “I knew this day would happen sooner or later.”

Youngbae looked up, “What?”

Pointing at him, Yoobin said, “You’ve been with the force for 3 years now. Went from low to the top, they would put you in this position. We are enemies, Youngbae.”

Youngbae held his breath and shook his head. “N-no..we can’t! We grew up together, we…you can’t just declare that WE are enemies, Yoobin!”

“Then…we work together.” She stated.

He narrowed his eyes, “How?”

Yoobin smirked, “We’ll use them.”

Youngbae balled his fist. He disagreed with the situation. everything is on the line. He just can’t use the police force like that! He was seen a loyal officer, he does not want those 3 years go to waste!. As he clenched his teeth, he charged at Yoobin.

But Yoobin already knew, she easily dodged his fist and slammed him against the wall. With his back agasint the wall, Yoobin stood in front of him. “Tsk. Tsk. This is getting a little old. Tell me…You didn’t happen to Kill  any of MY men tonight, have you?”

Still affected by the pain, Youngbae hesitated. He can’t tell her what he done…if he did then he’s done for so without thinking, for the first time in his life…he lied.

Youngbae shook his head, “No…I-I didn’t use a gun.”

Yoobin nodded and let go of him. Once again slumping down to the hard wood floor, he was breathing hard.


“I’ve told you…you need to train harder. It’s a miracle that you are one of the strongest men there.”

“Tch, it’s because I’m going easy on you, YB.” He said.

She smiled as she sat on top of the coffee table in front of him, “ Don’t forget who you really are. I’m glad you didn’t kill tonight. These men are mine. They are precious to me as they are your brothers. They are the foundation of what we are—that’s why I care about them.”

Youngbae got up from the ground with a bitter look on his face, “But WE can’t use the police! I will NOT be a part of this. I know my mission is to capture you—heck, even kill you but I can’t use my profession on the line. I am NOT a part of your gang anymore—“

“Mari.”

 He looked up, surprised at hearing that name.

“Oh, you already forgotten.” Yoobin smirked, trying to pull his poor heart strings, “She was the reason why you’re in the police force, Youngbae. Mari---“

“Don’t say her name!” he yelled. His eyes were full of rage, hearing her name was something he felt remorse and regret. Kneeling down on the ground “P-please…” he begged. ‘I always wanted to forget’ Thought Youngbae.

“Tch. You always had a soft spot.” Yoobin said as she walked over to him, kneeling down, she reached his shoulders, pulling him close for an embrace, an action that surprised him. “Don’t forget who these ‘policemen’ kill. They were the ones who broke the roles, We are better than they…” she said whispering in his ear, “You are a part of me and my people---my men, my fellow brothers. And no matter what you are always a part of this gang—this type of life.”

She pulled back and looked into Youngbae’s eyes, “Her death is a sign for revenge…That is your main mission—not me but HER.  We will get revenge on the so-called police that fail to strive in saving their people, Taeyang.

                                                                                ~~~

“AH!, I’m so sorry that I’m late!” a voice yelled out, once again taking Yoobin out of trance.

Sunye ran in the café, into the counter quickly bowing down to Yoobin who was still surprised.

“I’m so so sorry! This would never happen again!”

“Ah..its okay.” Yoobin said which surprised Sunye.

Wide eyed, Sunye said, “Really? But…I’m almost an hour—“

“It’s fine.” Yoobin said, “Besides, you probably have an excuse. You’re a new worker here right? Yeeun hired you for a reason. I’ll make this one pass. Go back to work.”

 Sunye smiled brightly, “Yes! I’ll do my best today.” She said as she took some more trays from Yoobin’s hands then putting it out on the countertop.

Yoobin made a slight grin, that girl is a funny one. She thought as she left the front counter into the hallway to where her office was.

As she walked by, she greeted customers who passed her as Sohee that was working in the front catering them to their seats.

“I’ll be in my office.” Yoobin called out as her fellow workers nodded.

It’s a bit crowded as usual now…Yoobin thought as she walked on through into the dimmed hallway. This was an area that customers are not allowed to enter but employees. After sensing she was out of view and in the middle of the hall, she held onto the railing to take a break. The pain of last night was already hurting her.

But throughout her time during the morning shift, she hid the fact that her ankle was hurting; in fact, no one seem to notice. Letting go of the rail, she felt herself fall on her side but then felt strong hands holing her back. As she was about to attack the person holding her, she resisted knowing how much trouble she be in if she happen to kill whoever was touching her.

 “You’re limping.” He said.

Yoobin looked and saw the familiar dark eyes she remembered. “C-Choi S-seunghyun…” she said.

Seunghyun smiled, “Are you okay? The whole time I’ve seen you walking in the café, you weren’t walking correctly…” he said holding his grip harder in which his hand was holding hers.

Quickly getting out of his touch, Yoobin leaned back against the wall,  “Ah…I-I’m okay. Really.” Yoobin stuttered.

Why..am I shuttering so much? I never even noticed he was in the café! She thought in her head. But standing in front of him was a little intimidating as he easily hovered over her petite  size. Shaking off her thoughts, Yoobin asked.

 “How…Why are you here? It’s only strictly for Employees.”

Seunghyun slightly chuckled nervously, “Sorry about that..I got lost trying to find the restroom. I tried to ask my cousin Sunye. But she was such in a rush of getting late, I didn’t ask her.”

“The restrooms are on the other side.” Yoobin stated but she hesitated, “ Wait, Sunye is your cousin?”

“A-Ah yes. She is. But anyways…” Seunghyun started as he stood up straight then bowed down, “Knowing that you are the manager, I quickly wanted to apologize for Sunye’s lateness today. It was my fault, I have slept late and because of police business last night. I was…well—it’s my fault, not hers.”

Surprised again, Yoobin stared at him wide eyed. This family...is so polite.

“It’s really alright. I just told her to go back to work really. It’s nothing at all.”  She said.

Seunghyun looked up at her, “R-really?”

Yoobin cracked a smile for him as she nodded, “Really. From what I hear from Yeeun, she is a hard worker. But I’ll be the judge of that, so don’t worry..as of now.”

Laughing, Seunghyun, “I’ll make sure of that as well. Thank you, Ms.Yoobin.”

“Please don’t call me that. Yoobin is fine.”

“Alright then, How bout this, you and me, lunch?” he said, giving her a nice smile.

A little dumbfounded, “L-Lunch?” she asked.

“Yeah, Lunch. You know the 2nd meal of the day that starts at 12? How about it? I want to make up for today, you know, Sunye. I can’t let you get her off the hook that easy so since it’s my fault, I’ll take the blame and take you out!” he smiled at her.

Yoobin crossed her arms as she tilted her head , “Are you asking me on a date?”

Seunghyun quickly waved his arms, “No no ! Just a causal outing. I don’t have a lot of friends here since I moved here so how bout a nice outing? I’m sacrificing myself out here for the sake of Sunye.”

Yoobin smirked, “Uh huh…” and then whispered leaning towards him, “Because you know, this flirting act of yours, is so not working.” She said

Surprised but pleased with her honestly, Seunghyun was about to reply when someone called out for him.

“Seunghyun! There you are!”

Seunghyun turned around, “Youngbae.”

Youngbae quickly walked up to them, patting Seunghyun on the back and giving a nod to Yoobin who was standing next to the wall.

“What are you doing here?! I thought you were inside, Rookie!” Youngbae yelled but in meaning, he was just kidding around.

“Yah. I’m not a---“

“You’re just a Rookie cop?” Yoobin asked interrupting Seunghyun, as she said it in almost a mocking tone. But she already knew that

Feeling like the truth was out, Seunghyun nervously said, “Well…since I just moved here and all. I still got that title—“

“But it has Rookie.” Yoobin commented. “..Interesting, it’s just as low as being the ‘junior’.”

Slightly offended, Seunghyun lowered his eyebrows, “Hey..That’s not…”

“Yah yah! Stop this.” Youngbae said getting in the middle of them as he felt both their now dark tension. “Come on, Seunghyun. Let’s go. Yoobin’s just kidding around with you, right?” Youngbae asked Yoobin who was giving her a mean look.

In defeat, Yoobin knew that Youngbae is going to get angry if she doesn’t agree so she nodded, “I’m Sorry. I didn’t realize that I sounded harsh.I was just kidding.” Yoobin said.

Seunghyun simply nodded as he accepted the apology as Youngbae turned him around.

“We’ll see you around. “ Youngbae said as he walked with Seunghyun trailing behind him. It seemed that he was a little hurt.

“Alright…” Yoobin said. For the first time, she felt something, and that feeling was something not good. As soon as she saw Youngbae figure disappearing but with Seunghyun slowly behind him. She yelled out.

“Seunghyun!”

He stopped but didn’t turn around which didn’t surprise Yoobin as she smirked.

“I work during lunch time but dinner is even better. 7 o’clock right here in front of the café. Friday! Don’t be late….Mr.Choi.” she said.

In a quick response, Seunghyun turned around and gave her a big smile.

“I’ll see you then, Yoobin.”

~~~

“You what?!” Youngbae yelled.

“..Its just a ‘causal outing’ as he said.” Yoobin merely said as she leaned against her large wooden desk.

They were both in her usual estate up in the hills in Yoobin (Queen B) office. Yoobin explain to him about her little encounter with Seunghyun.

“..I believe it’s not! Why did you agree to go?”

“Take it to our advantage.” She simply said. Yoobin took off her long sleeve shirt, only to wear a black tank top, revealing her inked arms.

Youngebae narrowed his eyes and sighed. “You have to be more careful, YB. Didn’t you put foundation on your arms today? You should cover those tattoos, what if the other workers find out?”

“ Well,…this morning, I didn’t have time and besides, they won’t. None of them do but if then, they should know their lives will be over..” Yoobin said, giving him a smirk in which Youngbae gulped.

“B-But…it’s just not right.”

“What’s not right? As I said, it’s just a usual outing. Shouldn’t you worry about yourself? Are you actually following orders?” Yoobin glanced at him with a smirk, “Tch, that old chief of yours wouldn’t like it if he found out that you are best friends with a killer---“

“THEN WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO DO?!.” Youngbae yelled, he then walked around in circles in front of her, “ I can’t just go out there and say ‘hey look, I know Queen B, she was my childhood friend. She’s actually Yoobin. And you know what? Didn’t I recall you saying something that I never ever hear you say?...’Sorry’. “ Youngbae said as he stop a foot of Yoobin, who was deeply staring at him.

“Your point?” Yoobin said coldy.

He knew that he was going to get in some hot water calling out Yoobin like that, but he didn’t care; Yoobin has already pushed all his buttons. Youngbae pointed to her, “You said the word ‘Sorry’ to Seunghyun. For the many years that I know you, You NEVER apologize, Yoobin—even for this so-called ‘casual conversation’!  So don’t tell me you are trying to change heart around here--”

Punch.

Youngbae fell backward, feeling sharp pain on his cheek. Yoobin just landed a hard punch, which he knew that would become black and blue in the next few minutes.

“Don’t be stupid…I will never be that caring nor will have that change of heart especially to you, Taeyang.”

He wiped the blood off and gave her a cold stare. “Stop calling me that name. I am NOT in your gang any more as that name doesn’t refer to me.” He said as he stormed off, slamming the door behind him, leaving Yoobin smirking.

“You are always the same old person…to me.”

~~~

Seunghyun grinned to himself as he typed away on his laptop. He couldn’t believe that he was getting a date. It was a feeling that he never felt before…but he was glad that using Sunye to be late gave him a slight advantage. But what was borthering him a little was when Yoobin instantly turn 360 on him as she called him ‘lower than being a junior’.

He shook his head, “At least she agreed.” He said outloud.

“Agreed to what?”

Seunghyun turned around, seeing Youngbae enter the office room that they shared. They were located in the large police station in the middle of downtown Seoul. Because they were doing  a special case, both of them shared a large office within the station. They both have their own personal side of the room with a large desk, laptops and other necessities needed to track down Queen B. as they shared one large map of Korea with pins showing her whereabouts.

Seunghyun smiled, “You know, Yoobin? The café manager? I actually asked her out. Well, she did….actually, it just an outing. Not a date, you know.” He said.

Youngbae raised his eyebrows, “Is that so?” he asked, knowing full truth the reason why Yoobin even bother to agree.

“Yeah, I’m a little thrilled.  But did you notice? She was limping. Hrm…it was so obvious to me but no one even asked her about it.” Seunghyun said in concern.

Titling his head, Youngbae was a little surprised. She’s still hurt? How come I never noticed?

“How do you know?”

“Couldn’t you tell? She was walking funny. Usually she walks in a forward fashion but today, she was hesitating as she leaned forward.” Seunghyun explained.

Youngbae said nothing as if he was trying to understand the logic of Seunghyun’s explanation. But Seunghyun merely chuckled and pointed to himself, “Remember, I’m a sniper. I have eyes of an eagle and pretty good hearing. I can see everyone once and remember it all together.” He said giving Youngbae a smirk.

He shrugged, “Guess it’s like you, knowing how to understand a person’s image from one look. I study their function, Youngbae.”

With a response, Youngbare opened his mouth before the Chief opened the door to call them in.

“Yah, Need two of you here now!” he called out.

“Yes sir!” they both said.

“Please call me Chung” he said

 The chief sat down in front of them. In further details, he was a large and much older man than Youngbae and Seunghyun as he served in the force for over 30 years. He is seen as one of the most loyal and trustworthy man in the force but powerful.

“From the reports of last night, are both of you alright?” Chung asked in concern, mainly looking at Youngbae. “I see that there is a marking on your face, Youngbae. I don’t remember seeing it before.”

Youngbae quickly rubbed his cheek, and nodded, “Ah..yes. It must’ve been from last night. Guess the bruise is starting to take effect now.” He said, mostly lying. In truth, it was Yoobin’s doing. “But I guess…we are a little shaken up.” Youngbae mentioned, changing the subject, “Since it was unexpected that we were off to a mission after we heard briefly about our target.”

“Ah..yes. This Queen B, is very unexpected but there is a change.” Chung announced as curiously lingered in the air.

“Because of the danger of losing more innocent lives, time is wasting. Queen B needs to be stop. We hear there may be tracings of her plans starting this week. With that said, more lives will be taken. Queen B will stop at nothing since last night, as her and our plans  failed. She will go on a killing rampage. The Lieutenant and I decided…we will vacant our spots for her capture.”

Both Youngbae and Seunghyun looked at Chung in shock. “W-What?!”

“You both have perfect hearing, I don’t have to repeat myself.” Chung briefly said.

Seunghyun decided to speak up, “But Sir—Chung, I mean. So basically you’re telling us that if we were to take Queen B into custody, we are to be put in your place?”

“That is correct. “ Chung gave them a small smile, “We are going to retire soon so why make this a once in a lifetime experience. I trust you both. Think of it as a competition, hrrm? 1st place goes to Lieutenant, who is in charge of all police forces in Seoul and 2nd is my position, being Chief. I don’t want to say that there is a 1st and 2nd place but we both have almost equal amount of power here.”

Youngbae nodded, Lieutenant …being the soul powerful leader of all forces in Seoul?!  “I see…” he said

Looking at Youngbae then to Chung, Seunghyun smirked. “We will do our best!”

“Good to hear. With Youngbae quick information gathering skills and Seunghyun’s memory of examination and analysis, you two will be quite a pair.”

“B-But Chung…does it really have to be this way? I mean…so many things are on the line.” Youngbae said, being unsure of capturing Queen B as a contest for the both of them. This may be a bad example if the force knew about this…especially Yoobin. She would be furious to know that she is a ‘prize’.

“So many things are on the line—as I mention before, people are on the line here, Youngbae. …You were on this force for 3 years now. Before you started here, didn’t I hear that one of your wishes was to be Lieutenant of Seoul?”

“A-Ah..urm.” Youngbae started, looking down, a little embarrassed. That was my dream. He thought.

Seunghyun chuckled lightly, amused at Chung teasing. “We will get started right away. Whatever it takes, we will catch Queen B!”

After Chung left, Seunghyun nudged Youngbae who was sulking on his desk. “Yah…so you want to be Lieutenant?”  he asked.

Surprised, Youngbae looked up, “W-what?...I—“

“Save it.” Seunghyun simply said. “I guess Chung wanted us to get a little ‘push’ for this mission…Say, did you have an encounter with Queen B that night?”

“Not really…” he answered. “What happened between the two of you?”

“Actually..it’s hard to remember…but she s-saved my life. I was trying to find you and then I out only to wake up to her face.”

Youngbae nodded, I bet she whacked you in the head first.he thought.

“Then…she hit me! The nerve of her to hit an unconscious  person on the ground!” Exclaimed Seunghyun, who felt offended because he didn’t like it when people hit him for no reason.

 Youngbae merely smirked, I knew she would  .Yoobin never fails to hurt somebody.

“But for some reason….I felt something strange.”

“What do you mean, strange?”

Seunghyun sighed but answered him, “Anger…and not from when she hit me but just…everything.  I offended her, calling her a monster. But she…” he stopped not being sure how he could explain it but continued on.

“She kills people. She kills innocent lives…adults, elderly and even children. This woman..no this TARGET is a MONSTER.” Seunghyun said.

Youngbae looked at him, still emotionless from Seunghyun realization about Queen B. Just once glance, Seunghyun was able to analyze Queen  B’s dark soul, which surprised him but also in a way… frighten him.

“….Who are you?” Youngbae managed to ask.

Seunghyun merely smirked, “That’s your response to my examination? I told you,….I’m a sniper.. From my eyesight, I can easily analyze anybody—almost to their soul even.”

But Youngbae kept a strong posture, still looking up at Seunghyun from his seat. He was casually crossing his arms with his hip to the leaning on the side of Youngbae’s desk.

 “And I see that you are eyeing to be the top of the top. Well, not only that is your wish, Youngbae, I can tell it’s your dream.—heck not even a dream but a lifelong mission. Correct?” Seunghyun asked.

Youngbae almost gasped, How?

“From that look, I can see that I’m correct. Well…that’s a little taste of my talent. You better watch out now… I’ll be the next Lieutenant, Chief.”  He said in a mocking tone, leaving Youngbae in the office alone.

Youngbae ignored him but balled his fist tightly around a pen which broke into two pieces.

                                ~~~

“I knew you be back…”

Youngbae stood still in front of Yoobin—no, Queen B.  that same night. From the event that happened with Seunghyun, he didn’t know what to do but ended up going to Queen B’s mansion and comfort wasn’t one of them. Possibly, because he was a little shaken up in the mess he has with Seunghyun.

This…Rookie, Seunghyun. What is he trying to do? What is his purpose? What should I do?  He thought as he balled his fists.

“This is the only way…” he whispered to himself. “I can’t risk it..never again.”

Youngbae bowed down as he placed his hand over his heart like a solider bowing down to their queen,

“It is my honor to serve you..they have gotten my respect for about three years, my queen. There are things that should not be let go. I will crush them for the sake of her.”

 

Yoobin grinned in amusement as she looked at him,

 

 

“That’s more like it. As I said, once you are a part of this world, you’ll never change,  Tae.”