Chapter 4: Perilous

Fight For Freedom

For the next few months, D.O learnt how to lead a normal human lifestyle under the strict guidance of Baek Hyun. The brunette insisted him to learn everything from scratch instead of just simply programming it into his motherboard. D.O obviously agreed with Baek Hyun. Heck, he’ll flip tables if Baek Hyun were to simply just program everything into him. All he wanted was to experience every single thing, be it as simple as brushing teeth. All he wanted was to be a human. 

The android learnt a lot about Baek Hyun as well. The brunette told him that this house is just an adobe for him to do his experiments in peace. His main house is actually a huge mansion situated not far away from the forest. Baek Hyun brought him there once and the poor boy got lost for a good hour before the brunette found him trapped in the garage.

He also noticed little things about Baek Hyun; like how the brunette always scrunched up his face when he is deep in concentration, how melodious his laughter sounds, and the list goes on. The most noticeable thing D.O realized is that he feels tingly and warm whenever he’s around with Baek Hyun. Those slight jolts of electricity he feels when Baek Hyun touched him or how the sides of his lips will subconciously lift up when Baek Hyun flashed him his angel smile. He had no idea what these meant and just assumed it to be the fault of some worn out mechanical parts. 

Turning off the stove, D.O carefully poured the hot stew into a big bowl. He had took an immerse interest in culinary after Baek Hyun introduced him to this youtube channel called “Cooking with the Dog”. Ever since then, the younger male had been spending most of his times in the kitchen, cooking all three meals for Baek Hyun, who didn’t mind being his guinea pig (since D.O’s cooking was never bad).

One afternoon, D.O saw a new recipe on the net; kimchi with spaghetti. Jotting down the list of ingredients needed in his mind, he went to search in the kitchen and found out that he was short of some. "Baek Hyun ah! Can we go to the supermarket? I need to get some cheese and kimchi for this new recipe!" D.O shouted to Baek Hyun who was currently sitting in the living room. The brunette looked up from the technology maganize he was currently reading and as if on cue, he heard his stomach letting out a loud growl. "OKAY!"  he put the maganize aside and grabbed the keys from the side table, gesturing the other male to leave. He didn't mind following D.O to the mart since it has been days since he last stepped out of the house.

Baek Hyun lingered in the magazine section as usual while D.O went to shop for the ingredients. D.O hummed as he pushed the trolley around the rows of shelves, spending little time to find the ingredients since he already had the whole layout of the mart memorized. He stopped the trolley and spunned around, having this feeling of someone stalking and staring at his every move, making him really ucomfortable. Sensing that something is not right he quickly made his way to the counter to make his purchase before pulling Baek Hyun out of the mart. "Something is not right." he whispered to Baek Hyun and the other male nodded in agreement. Hurrying their pace they returned back to their house, only to find the door ajar. Something is definitely amiss.

"I don't think it's safe here anymore. Let's run!" Baek Hyun tugged harshly at D.O's arms, making him drop the grocery bags on the ground. The duo quickly turned around and scurried in the opposite direction. "THERE HE IS!!" an unknown voice shouted out from behind and both of them jumped. Baek Hyun turned around and saw two men in black cloak standing outside of the main door, with one of them pointing at them. "RUN!!" he screamed and they ran as fast as their legs could carry them. 

Both of them maneuverer their way effortlessly around the endless rows of trees, feet crunching against the familiar route to Baek Hyun‘s mansion.  Baek Hyun started to slow down as they got nearer to his mansion, body low on energy as he is too hungry and tired. "Just a little more!" D.O encouraged the worn out brunette as he grabbed his hand and pulled him along. Both of their faces lit up and ran even faster when they saw the roof of Baek Hyun's mansion sticking out of the forest's canopy. 

Just when they are getting positive, the two cloaked men appeared in front of them and pushed them harshly onto the ground. The pair panicked and tried to run in the opposite direction, but the taller cloaked man managed to pull Baek Hyun back and grabbed him on the neck, choking him. "LET HIM GO. WHAT DO YOU WANT?!" D.O shouted, eyes darting between the now smirking men and Baek Hyun's pained expression. "If only you are as obedient as Chan Yeol and just listen to our orders, this would not have happened." The other cloaked men let out a chuckle and continued, "Now you are nothing but a failed experiment, just like that friend of yours. And how do we deal with failed products like you? Of course, we obliterate them."

“I’m all yours. Take me, but let him go.” D.O tried to strike a deal with them. It doesn’t matter what will happen to him as long as Baek Hyun is safe. “NOOO!” the brunette screamed, and bit hard on the man’s hand. The man yelped and let go of Baek Hyun, who scurried towards D.O as fast as he could. D.O’s eyes widened as he saw the now enraged man pulling out a gun from his cloak and aiming it at Baek Hyun.

The last thing Baek Hyun remembered was D.O screaming his name with a petrified look before he squirmed his eyes shut to brace what is about to come next.