Chapter 6: The End.

Fight For Freedom

Baek Hyun groaned in frustration as he stomped out of his laboratory, flinging his safety goggles against the shiny metal table. Tao quickly rushed forward to the brunette with a glass of his favourite iced green tea, who gladly accepted it. The creases on the brunette’s forehead disappeared and a small smile appeared on the once solemn face. Thanking his butler, Baek Hyun headed towards the garden and sighed, hands still holding onto the half empty glass.

Tao’s gaze followed his master until his figure slipped past the glass doors and laid on the grass bed. Shaking his head a little, the raven haired butler returned back to his room and punched in some numbers against the antique looking telephone.

“Hello Master Byun… Yes it’s me Tao… Young master Byun is still the same, spending his entire day In his laboratory. He is currently taking a breather in the garden… You need not worry, I will definitely take good care of Young Master…. Have a nice day.”

Tao went to check on Baek Hyun again, and smiled when the brunette was sleeping soundly on the grass. Ever since that incident that happened 1 year ago, his bubbly young master was gone and became very hot tempered, cussing and flaring up now and then, and even self-harmed. He still remembered how Baek Hyun glared and refused to talk to him for a week after he threw D.O’s tattered flannel button-up shirt away.

Tao only realized his young master’s mental condition had turned for the worst when the brunette isolated himself from everyone, locking himself down in his lab and refused to eat his meals. He only managed to get to Baek Hyun when he pleaded for Master Byun’s help to unlock the lab’s door (since it had a passcode and Tao does not know), and found Baek Hyun’s almost lifeless body slumped against the experiment table with D.O lying on it, both hands clutched tightly on a meta accessory. It took a good few months before Baek Hyun finally walked out of depression, but his bubbly self never came back.

Baek Hyun would spend his whole day in his lab, trying to learn more about androids and fixing D.O in the process. He learnt that the motherboard served as both a heart and brain, and a typical android’s memory and life is erased and shut down when taken out of the body. Since D.O was a modified one who possessed half a human heart, he managed to survive through the ordeal, but is now under a “coma”. The only way he could thought of to wake D.O up from his “coma” is to create a new motherboard, though the chances of success is slim since the motherboard D.O had is very advanced as compared to the other androids’ in the market.

“Young Master Byun, dinner is ready.” Tao bowed and led the sleepy brunette to the dining table. Chewing on the steak, Baek Hyun grinned and gave a thumbs up at Tao, who bowed and smiled back. “You know Tao, I’m almost done with the motherboard soon. And you know what that means? D.O will wake up from his coma very soon!!” Tao chuckled and nodded at his excited young master, it has been a long time since he had seen this side of Baek Hyun. “It’s great that you are almost done with the motherboard but please take care of your health as well. Everyone is worried about you, especially Master and Madam Byun.” Silence filled the room and Tao tensed up, quickly bowing apologizing for his rudeness

Tao heard the chair creaked against the floor and a shadow loomed before him. He heard his young master’s familiar chuckle and felt a light pat on his shoulders. Tao looked up and saw Baek Hyun staring awkwardly on the floor while biting on his fingernails; a habit of his when he is nervous. “I know I have made everyone worried for the past year. Thank-you for being there when I was going through the most horrible period of my life. I don’t think I can still stand here and talk to you if all of you weren’t there to support me. Thank-you for stopping me when I was trying to cut myself, thank-you for bringing my back to reality when I was losing grip on it, thank-you for taking care of me even when I lost  my temper at you almost every single time, thank-you for making sure that I was recovering and cheering me up when I was down. Thank-you for being there Zi Tao, thank-you so much.”

Tao only remembered Baek Hyun hugging him tightly and soon both of them broke down and cried in each other’s embrace. Baek Hyun wasn’t someone who confessed his feelings easily so it was exceptionally emotional for Tao when the brunette confessed to him genuinely like this. The raven haired male knew that his young master trusted him a lot, but hearing him saying it is a total different thing and this brought tears to his eyes immediately.

“Oh come on Tao stop crying! You’re such a cry baby, like always~” Baek Hyun laughed as he wiped the tears off his cheeks and Tao’s and pinched his cheeks. “You are teasing me like always. But thank-you young mas—“ “

 “Just call me hyung Tao. To be honest, I’m sick of hearing you calling me young master when you are just a year younger than me.” “Uh.. thank-you young  mas—I mean hyung.” Tao blushed at the foreign address as Baek Hyun laughed and pinched his cheeks again.

“I’m gonna get back to the lab, bring me some desserts later Tao!” Baek Hyun shouted as he frolicked down the hallway, waving to the tear stained butler who giggled and waved back.

 

Baek Hyun carefully slipped the motherboard into D.O’s chest and screwed it tightly. Praying to whatever gods he can think of, he peek his eyes open at the motionless figure on the metal. “Did something went wrong with the motherboard? Why isn’t it working?!” Baek Hyun panicked as he paced around the metal table, mind working and complex formulas and theories, he had already studied the motherboard inside out, there was no way it could go wrong!

Looking back at the android, Baek Hyun choked on a scream and almost fell as his stumbled backwards. D.O’s eyes were opened, though still motionless. Scrambling towards the table, Baek Hyun’s saw D.O moving his head slowly, and then his limbs. Finally, the android pushed himself up from the table and stretched before hopping down from it.

“D.O… you finally… woke up…” Baek Hyun can practically feel happiness oozing out of his every pore as he sprinted towards the other male, pulling him into a tight embrace. He could feel the other flinched in surprise at the sudden contact but he didn’t care. D.O had finally woke up after a year and a half, how the hell can he be calm about this? He had been waiting for this day every single day!

D.O felt his shoulders wet and looked at it before he figured out that the male in front of him is crying. Why is this male crying? Is he crying tears of happiness or sadness? He had no idea how to differentiate so he ended up doing nothing.  It took a full minute for the brunette to pull himself away from the hug, and now he is bombarding him with all sorts of questions and the just woken up android can feel his head aching.

“Excuse me but, who are you? And who am I?” D.O asked, big black orbs staring into Baek Hyun’s dilated ones.     

The brunette took a step back, hand over his heart. 'Did he forgot about me...?' he thought. Baek Hyun suddenly clap his hands together, scaring the doe-eyed boy. "OH YAH! You lost all your memories...." Baek Hyun said, slowly looking down on the floor. ' Dang, i thought he would at least remember something if i reuse some of the parts from the old motherboard...' he thought, and started to scratch his head. "HEY! Why is that bracelet with you!?" D.O shouted out, grabbing Baek Hyun's hand and trying to take the bracelet off. Baek Hyun was shocked and D.O was very harsh with his actions, and accidentally scratched Baek Hyun's delicate hand. Fresh red blood started gushing out from the wound. A pained expression was written all over Baek Hyun's face, while he was pressing down on his injured hand, trying to minimize the pain he felt.

When D.O saw the blood, something in his body suddenly ticked very loudly. Images of flashbacks ran across his mind; blood was on the floor, someone was holding him tightly, and he heard a familiar voice calling him. Suddenly everything started to make sense and with a faint 'ding', D.O remembered every single thing they did together. Turning around, he pulled Baek Hyun into his embrace and whispered into the brunette's ear.

"I miss you and i love you Byun Baek Hyun."

After hearing this, a big wide grin appeared on the brunette's face. The wound doesn't seem to hurt that much anymore.