Chapter 5 [Final]

Not Without You

 

There were tons of flowers, all of them her favourites. They’re all arranged especially how she wants them to be. 
 
The sun shines brightly that morning, and it feels like it’s leaving a very faint trace of heat and more of vibrancy and just plain light.
 
Keito stood, looking at the flowers, the grass.
 
Airi would definitely love to see all of this. This has been what she said she wanted to see. Keito remembered it all; every detail that Airi told him, he made sure everything would be perfect.
 
It was three years since the accident; the accident Keito thought well would’ve taken his life. But he was wrong. It has been three years, but whenever he closes his eyes, the memories were as fresh as the traces of droplets after the rain. The clearest memory of all, was Airi being moved away from him.
 
He closed his eyes. This is not the time to think of such sad memories. Airi would get mad. He laughed at the thought, seeing that scolding face Airi used to make whenever he makes his silly mistakes, or when he doesn’t say anything whenever he’s supposed to. That’s right, her smile.
 
He heard the arrival of people, and as he turned to look, they were those people very close to him and Airi. He could not want anybody else to be here at this moment but these people – his and her friends, their families… nothing more, nothing less. This day doesn’t have to be packed. It’s a special day to remember a memory.
 
Turning his back on the people with him, Keito closed his eyes. Like a movie, it played inside his head.
 
KEITO’S POV
 
“I’m scared.” A tear fell and Keito caught it right before it draws a trail down her cheek. “I’m scared Keito…”
 
Their foreheads still together, he can hear her trying not to cry. “I’ll be right here, okay? I’m not going anywhere.”
 
Airi, now crying, nodded and Keito moved away and soon pulled her into a tight embrace.
 
“No matter what happens, I’ll just be close by, okay? I’ll be right here.”
 
That fear in your eyes, you don’t have to go through it anymore.
 
“Ow…”
 
She dropped the knife right away and Keito was quick to grab Airi’s hand; her finger’s bleeding. He rushed to get some tissue and pressed it on her finger. “Airi…” his tone was scolding.
 
While Airi held onto her cut, Keito pushed the table away and put away the knife.
 
After cleaning up a bit, he got some more tissue and handed it to Airi, “Seriously Airi… Let me see…”
 
“It’s just a cut.” She said, letting Keito look. The bleeding still hasn’t stopped.
 
Keito sighed.
 
“Keito… Not all people with my illness are bleeders.” Airi spoke, with her usual matter-of-fact tone. She does this whenever she feels like Keito’s worrying too much. “Relax… I’m not a bleeder.”
 
Keito was rubbing the back of his neck as he sat back down beside Airi. “I’m sorry. I know you asked me lots of times not too worry too much but…”
 
Airi just looked at him and held onto his forearm. “I’m fine.”
 
You won’t get hurt anymore in any way possible. You wouldn’t have to see any more blood, not even from a cut…
 
“I miss the rain.” She said softly and Keito walked near her. “I wonder if my plants are getting too drenched though…”
 
“Nope, they’re not.”
 
Laughs. That’s right. Your plants are safely growing. And I promise you won’t ever miss the rain again.
 
Airi smiled and placed a hand on Keito’s face. “You don’t have to stay with me through all of this.”
 
You’re right. I don’t have to. But I want to. I wanted to.
 
END OF KEITO’S POV
 
A lot more has happened. And there are things that he probably chose to not recall. A scene after the other, it seems to have played for hours, but when Keito opened his eyes, the world has moved for only a few minutes. More people arrived and there were some chatter, he can recognize some voices and soon, all were quiet.
 
Remembering one more memory of Airi:
 
“…You can’t switch places with me after all…” Airi can see her own face smiling at the thought of what she has to say next, “Because I’m not gonna let you…”
 
Keito’s smiled. To his head, he murmured, “Nobody had to switch places. Neither I should take yours, nor should you take mine….” 
 
[Little A/N: Ano.... I suggest you guys play this once you've reach reading here. arigato! ^_^ and yes, I totally love this kid, Sunga Jung! *confetti!* credit goes to him since it's his original composition -if i'm not mistaken- so yeah.]
 
 
 
 
There came a melody coming from an acoustic guitar, a stream of notes that can only be too, too beautiful. And as if it’s the cue, Keito turned, and around, facing those important people dear to him. They were looking at him, all with satisfied, supporting and hopeful looks.
 
He guided his look farther back, a little away from the crowd, and the music played a more mystic tune. Keito just laid eyes on the most heavenly thing he could ever have… here on earth.
 
A few distance away from him, there she stood, in that white dress she’s been dreaming of. She could not have been any more perfect. When she looked up, their eyes met, and right at that moment, Keito felt like nothing else could ever matter. 
 
Airi Suzuki, staring back at him, her eyes so vivid and lively, her face lit by the most perfect sunlight, and her smile, outshining everything else. She started walking, and every step was a step to be closer to each other.
 
Years ago, no one would have thought of this moment being possible. Everyone thought they’d lose Airi. Taking a look back, the moment Keito woke up, everyone thought Airi was gone. She fell into a coma and the doctors reached a point where they were hopeless. But perhaps it was supposed to be like that. That Airi would go, and Keito would stay. Or then again, maybe God had better plans for them…
 
Keito could feel tears but he couldn’t let himself cry right now. Tears may be for joy, but he would save that for other occasions. They have shed far more tears than necessary. Airi has seen and has shed too many. There’s no need for crying right now.
 
Her father handed him her hand, and the moment Keito held onto them, he held tight and they both faced the altar, beautified with those flowers that Airi has adored.
 
The garden was set up especially how Airi and Keito wanted it; simple and bright. They wanted their ceremony to be blessed with as much light and as much of the world as possible. Airi wanted the feel of the outside that’s been away from her for some time.
 
With only their close friends and family, the venue didn’t have to be big, and so the atmosphere was simple, soulful, and everybody shared both Keito and Airi’s feelings.
 
Of course there’s Yamada and Shida who are having their turn soon, Yuto finally having a girlfriend with him, and even some of their other friends. Kenichi could not have been any happier and so are Airi’s parents. All of them are witnesses to what these two have been through – they knew well how all of this wasn’t that easy for Keito and Airi to obtain.
 
A blissful ceremony, and soon, everybody heard those streams of words… “I now pronounce you man and wife…. You may now kiss your bride.”
 
He lifted her simple veil and gently cupped her cheek with his right hand. Staring at Airi, to see her with him right now, to finally be with her right here at this very moment, could there be more to ask for?
 
“I love you.” He said. Plain and simple as that and Airi gave him the best reply – her smile. It’s been everything he’s ever wanted to see; even way before. “Are you ready to step into this life?” he asked, his smile silly and their family and friends laughing and enjoying the moment.
 
Airi held her laughter and cupped Keito’s cheeks. “No… I’m not ready…” Everyone was silent for a moment; then she continued, “…not without you…”
 
And with that, Keito can only stare at her, and soon, the distance between their lips was gone.
 
終わり