Chapter 2

Not Without You

 

 
The first few months were very challenging, for both Airi and Keito and everyone else. Since Keito’s in university, it’s not all the time he gets to be with Airi in her treatments. He does however make sure that he visits her everyday right after school; sometimes even calling her in between breaks.
 
Airi had to undergo a number of treatments so she wasn’t really able to apply to university with Keito as planned. As things are, it seems that she’ll be falling back a little but she herself said she didn’t mind.
 
“So, I can’t believe I have to read all three books in a week.” Keito spoke while he helped Airi back to her bed. He fixed her pillows and as soon as Airi was settled, he went to get some apples.
 
Airi spoke as Keito was back beside her, “Three books in a week, you can do that in a flash.”
 
“Ai, they’re in Kanji…”
 
“Oh…” she laughed and then looked around as if thinking, “Then… gambatte!” with a fist shot up.
 
Keito smiled knowing well that Airi was just being nice. “You know how bad I am with Kanji.”
 
“Not too bad not to read it. You’ll do just fine.” Keito then sat beside her, pulled her table over Airi’s bed, placed his plate of apples and started peeling a little.
 
“Oh yeah… I actually asked Yama-chan to teach me how to cut those bunny apples you’ve requested last week.” He said, taking care with what he’s doing.
 
“You did?” Airi smiled and watched as Keito does his first try. “Okay, let’s see…” Airi scooted a little and rested her head on Keito’s shoulder as Keito did his first bunny. “Haha…”
 
His first bunny was missing an ear. “Well, that wasn’t too bad.”
 
“You chopped off one of his ears.” Airi picked it up and kissed the missing ear. “Sorry Mr. Bunny-Apple…”
 
Then the next ones were just, well… acceptable. Half of the apples done, Airi then took the knife from Keito and did a perfect cut. “That’s unfair.” Keito complained, “You could’ve taught me.”
 
Airi then sat up straight, Keito behind her, and did the remaining apples. “It’s simple actually. You were doing it right…” She told Keito what he (kind of) is doing wrong. While Airi cuts, Keito rested his head over her shoulder to watch what she was doing.
 
Once Airi was done, she took a slice and gave it to Keito who’s head was just beside hers.
“Tadaa.” She said the moment Keito bites the apple.
 
After chewing, Keito sat up straight and Airi was munching on some slices too, “So… how are you feeling?”
 
Swallowing a little, Airi smiled and took another apple. “I’m feeling okay…”
 
“That’s good to hear.”
 
“Um.” Then Airi took the knife again and was about to cut a peel off some part of her apple when, “Ow…”
 
She dropped the knife right away and Keito was quick to grab Airi’s hand; her finger’s bleeding. He rushed to 
get some tissue and pressed it on her finger. “Airi…” his tone was scolding.
 
While Airi held onto her cut, Keito pushed the table away and put away the knife.
After cleaning up a bit, he got some more tissue and handed it to Airi, “Seriously Airi… Let me see…”
 
“It’s just a cut.” She said, letting Keito look. The bleeding still hasn’t stopped.
 
Keito sighed.
 
“Keito… Not all people with my illness are bleeders.” Airi spoke, with her usual matter-of-fact tone. She does this whenever she feels like Keito’s worrying too much. “Relax… I’m not a bleeder.”
 
Keito was rubbing the back of his neck as he sat back down beside Airi. “I’m sorry. I know you asked me lots of times not too worry too much but…”
 
Airi just looked at him and held onto his forearm. “I’m fine.”
 
xXxXx
 
It’s been about six months since Airi was diagnosed with acute leukemia. Since then, she’s been under 
medication, chemotherapies and the likes; the doctors are doing whatever’s necessary to help her get cured even before it gets worst.
 
For the first few months, her body was very responsive. They were very positive that she’ll pull through easily. She was even given the go signal to stay at home.
 
One weekend, Keito was dropping by for a surprise visit. Airi’s mom was the one to open the door for him and she called out for Airi. Actually, on the week that Airi was given permission to go home, Keito couldn’t make it because of exams, so he hasn’t seen much. When Airi was walking down the stairs, Keito couldn’t help but feel anxious. 
 
She looks a little bit paler than she used to. “Hey…” she spoke with a smile and walked towards him. She gave him a quick kiss and held onto his hand, pulling him towards their backyard. “I did some planting the other day…”
 
While being dragged by Airi, Keito noticed some bruises on her arm.
 
Outside, Airi beamed showing Keito those little plant-patches. “I really hope they’ll be fine.”
 
“Airi…”
 
“I won’t be looking after them for a while…”
 
Keito was stunned and when Airi looked up to him, he could only stare at her eyes.
 
Airi was looking around, and now Keito noticed her trying to catch her breath a little. “I’m going back to the hospital tomorrow.”
 
Still just staring at her, Keito watched as she tried to laugh. He couldn’t really think of anything to say.
 
“Maa~… here I thought I’d be able to take care of my new plants.” She smiled and bent a little to touch their tiny leaves. And as Airi was about to straighten herself up…
 
“Oi, Airi!” Keito was quick to catch her before she stumbles down.
 
Airi, as if she’s just woken up, held gently onto Keito’s arms. “Gomen… Things suddenly went black…”
 
“We’ll get you inside.” Keito spoke and carried Airi. At the back of his head, he kept seeing that Airi he carried some few months ago; and then his heart was pounding really hard.
 
xXxXx
 
More therapies and since Airi was back in the hospital, Keito can’t help but feel her depression seeping through. She kept saying that she’s okay being there but Keito knew well that she’s not. 
 
On one of Keito’s visit, he actually brought a present for Airi and was very happy to give it to her. When he opened the door, Airi was standing and looking out her window; it was raining and she’s staring at the droplets hitting the glass. “Hey… How are you feeling?” Keito greeted as he placed his gift beside Airi’s table. He felt a little worried when she didn’t move or say anything. “Airi?”
 
“I miss the rain.” She said softly and Keito walked near her. “I wonder if my plants are getting too drenched though…”
 
“Nope, they’re not.”
 
This time Airi looked at Keito and then she saw what was on her bedside table. “Ah!” she smiled gently and walked closer to it. “You brought them here.”
 
“You kept saying you wanted to see them, right?”
 
Airi nodded. “Arigato…” her voice was so faint that Keito just found himself pulling her to an embrace.
 
“Just tell me anything you want, okay?”
 
“Keito…” Airi spoke, her voice surprised a little.
 
“I’m sorry…” Soon he pulled away and ran his hand from his hair down his face. “It’s just…”
 
Airi smiled and placed a hand on Keito’s face. “You don’t have to stay with me through all of this.”
 
Keito shot her a look as if she’d said something horrible. “…What?”
 
“It’s hard for me to see you like this too…” she said, placing another hand on his other cheek, trapping his face on her soft, gentle hands.
 
“What you’re asking of… It’s like…” Keito held onto her hands, “It’s like asking me to kill myself.”
With what he said, Airi frowned. “Keito…”
 
“Asking me to leave you, is just like asking me to kill myself, Airi…” Now, Keito’s actually in tears, “I just can’t….”
 
Feeling her own tears running down, Airi pulled Keito closer, their foreheads touching each other like usual, “I’m just scared that all of this is too much for you…” she tried not to cry too hard, “… you don’t have to suffer like this…” 
 
Keito took her hands and kissed them then brought them to his chest, “I don’t care…” he cried, and held onto her hands tighter, “All I know…” he waited as their eyes met, “…Is that I’m scared to lose you.”