Chapter 4

Not Without You

 

It’s as if time has frozen, Airi never felt so weak; not even compared to how she just a few months (well, over a year) ago. Yamada asked for details but Shida just shook her head. Apparently, Yuto was quick to give them the news and then hung up.
 
Her own voice shaking, Shida tried to take a deep breath calmly, although efforts were a bit futile at the moment. It came out like she's about to cry, “Ryosuke…”
 
Not sure what to think, Yamada held Shida's hand as if just to comfort her at the very least. Then he was looking around as if trying to take everything in. They can only look at Airi.  What can they actually say right now? 
 
Soon, Airi’s parents were inside with them and learnt about the news and not a second less, they drove to the hospital Yuto had said, with Airi still dumbfounded.
 
With Airi’s father driving, Yamada sitting shot-gun, Airi was sitting between her mom and Shida at the back. Since Shida broke the news, Airi hasn’t said a single thing; there was just that blank expression on her face.
 
Her mother kept trying to calm her down, but Airi doesn’t look like she’s panicking at all – there was just plain nothingness on her face. Shida tried to call Yuto again and after a few more tries, she finally got hold of him. Hearing that Shida’s actually talking to Yuto, Yamada asked if he could talk to him instead since he noticed Shida’s voice growing more and more anxious.
 
After that quick talk, Yamada kept quiet and held onto Shida’s phone. The trip was silent – blank.
 
Upon arriving at the hospital, Airi surprised everyone when she quickly opened her door and ran towards the emergency room. Nurses were looking at her; perhaps thinking that she’s a new or perhaps a current patient. See, since she just got out earlier today, she still has some bandages on from where her syringes were and even her hospital tag is still with her. She was shocked when she felt someone pull her to the waiting area – it was Yuto.
 
Yuto’s face showed nothing but anxiousness and exhaustion. He tried to think of something to say to Airi, to make her feel better, but looking at her state [just like what Yamada and Shida felt] what does he have to say? He can’t tell her to calm down, or that things are going to be okay… with Airi’s state, no one could read what’s inside her mind; thus no one could really think what one can say to her right now.
 
In a flash, her mother, father, Yamada and Shida were heading towards them there outside the emergency room. Shida and Yamada talked to Yuto while Airi’s mom convinced her to sit down, but still, Airi kept quiet. She’s not even crying. It’s just that, when they found them, Yuto was covering his face with his hands as if impatient and Airi was pacing really slowly, as if she’s lost and knows nothing about where to go.
 
Not long after that, Kenichi Okamoto was approaching them, his attire says well that he’s from the office and rushed his way here. He looked paler than he’s ever been and found it quite comforting having Airi’s parents to talk to and it helped him calm himself down even just a little.
 
With the tension killing everyone, the door swung open and nurses were pushing a stretcher out of the emergency room. To their relief, it was Keito, and he seems okay. Airi didn’t hear anything at all, or even saw anything else – to her, all that matters is that she’s seeing Keito right now. There’s a huge cut just above his right eyebrow, and evident bruises all over. Airi, along with Yamada, Shida, Yuto and her mom followed where Keito was being brought to while the doctors talked to Kenichi and Airi’s dad decided to stay with him.
 
xXxXx
 
Four hours after Keito was sent to the hospital, now here he is inside the Intensive Care Unit (ICU).
 
Outside the ICU, Airi stood and just kept her stare on Keito’s form, lying still on that white bed. Shida has tried several times, asking her to sit down with them, but Airi just stayed there and said nothing; as if Shida, or anybody else is not present.
 
Airi’s mom is now pacing, deciding how to approach her daughter. See, Airi’s supposed to have her doses of medicines and that she was strictly advised to rest. With the current events, it seems impossible to tell Airi what she’s supposed to be doing. Her mother surely is worried for both Keito and her. The doctors make it a point that they understand that even though Airi's on her way to recovery, they can never be too careful. 'Illnesses are sometimes, traitors.' Airi's specialist's words echoed a little on her mom's head.
 
Earlier, when Keito was brought out of the emergency room, “We will be monitoring him closely for now. To be optimistic, I am glad to say that he’s stable.” This, was what the doctor told Kenichi; and that’s about what he’s learned and what he’s able to share. This news of course is too vague and has increased the tension on everyone. Kenichi actually excused himself saying that he’ll find some other specialists that could take a look at his son; but before he left, Airi’s father volunteered to accompany him. It’s nice enough that they’ve been good friends.
 
Yamada and Yuto on the other hand talked about what really happened, since Yuto seemed to have calmed down a bit now. “We were talking on the phone, it was a quick talk. He told me where he was and that he was about to pick me up.” Yuto spoke, clearing his throat. He and Yamada chose to be away from the ICU and found a vendo-machine and decided to hang around there. Besides, they both thought its best that Airi doesn’t hear anything for now. The girl’s just too much in a state of shock perhaps.
 
Yamada had his hand under his chin, as if thinking deep “Was he driving?”
 
Yuto shook his head, “I thought he was at first, but then he told me he took the cab.” Then Yuto took a deep sigh, soon he started shaking a little, “…and then I just heard a crash.” Yuto swallowed some water and Yamada was just stricken. “When I got to the scene, everything’s just a whirl. Ambulance, a fire truck even, the police, and the cab was…” Yamada can tell that Yuto didn’t want to describe the scene.
 
xXxXx
 
Her vision going blurry, and soon the corners of her sight were slowly closing into darkness, Airi held herself up. 
 
They were actually allowed inside the ICU, and Airi and her mom were the ones who went inside first.
 
The sound of the ECG echoed through Airi’s head. Months ago, she was hearing this exact same thing, monitoring her own body. She knows well the faint feeling of tubes -or however else they call it- stuck all over you, an apparatus here and there, and the feeling of being buried by these medicinal things.
 
Slowly, she reached for Keito’s hand. She felt that needle, and thought about that medicine-fluid seeping through his vein; she touched it ever so carefully, knowing well it might hurt with just a wrong move. Then she noticed the bandage on her own hand where her own needle used to be... just this morning. Right. Wasn’t it just this morning that she was under these white sheets?
 
“Why…” Airi spoke, surprising her mom. Quickly, Airi felt an arm around her; comforting her.
 
Her vision going even blurrier with the welling up of tears, Airi tried to keep her stand steady. She can feel the pulse on her temples, and now her heart is starting to palpitate. Minutes more of staring at Keito’s sleeping form, she kept recalling the times when he lies next to her on her hospital bed, trying to tuck her into sleep whenever she insists she doesn’t want to.
 
Airi could feel her forehead sweat – that familiar cold sweat she’s suffered and hated. 
 
There was a tear that escaped her eyes, making its way down her cheek, and under her chin. She took a deep breath and could actually feel the harshness of the air around her – it’s as if she’s been suffocated under a pillow. A second later, her hands felt numb, while an unnecessary weight has seemingly been placed on top of her chest.
 
She closed her eyes tight, trying to clear her vision. All she wanted right now was to see Keito’s face. There’s nothing else that matters. Looking at him, she remembers the apples he tried so hard to cut for her, those days when he sat next to her as they hum a random tune, days when he’s full and vibrant, trying to cheer her up. Her Keito doesn’t deserve to be in this bed… this bed, this place, this situation, it’s all wrong for him. 
 
One deep breath after the other, Airi suddenly heard a faint voice beside her. With all her strength, she turned to look at her mom just right next to her. She can see her talking, as if saying something to her, but to Airi’s ears, it’s as if Airi’s subsided underwater and her mother was calling to her from up above the surface.
 
With gravity doing its job, Airi’s body suddenly fell half-way and she quickly fought to stay up. Her mother caught her slightly and Airi tried her best to tell her that she’s fine; although even Airi’s own voice sounded far away to her own ears.
 
Scared of what’s happening to her, Airi held tight onto Keito’s hand. “Kei…to….” She uttered, as if whispering to him the same way they whisper to each other when he’s trying to put her to sleep. See Keito, whenever he feels like Airi couldn’t calm down, he would lay next to her, place her head on his shoulder, kiss her forehead and talk to her in whispers. He’d talk about random things, occasionally she’ll reply, sometimes he’ll even sing. To Airi, Keito was her lullaby.
 
“Wake… up… o-kay?” her words coming out fainter, one after the other. Her mother now tries to guide her outside the room, but Airi couldn’t feel a single thing. With all her strength left, she kept her hold on Keito’s hand. “You…” she whispered, only her mind and heart listening, “…You can’t switch places with me after all…” Airi can see her own face smiling at the thought of what she has to say next, “Because I’m not gonna let you…”
 
There was a loud thug, and Airi’s mom shouted for help as her daughter fell on the ground.
 
Yuto, Yamada and Shida, watched as doctors and nurses rushed in to get Airi to the emergency room. And then Yamada and Shida froze when they heard Yuto say, “…Keito’s awake…”
 
The three were staring at Keito, his eyes opened, watching as the doctors take Airi’s body away from the room.