Chapter 1

Not Without You

 

“Airi!”
 
Keito stood right away and rushed to Airi’s side. “Hey, hey…” He said this as he held her close, tapping her cheek a little as he kept calling her name.
 
Airi was still, pale and Keito just realized now that it feels like she’s having a fever.
 
Quickly, he scooped her up, carried her as carefully as he can, ran to his car and drove off.
 
xXxXx
 
Keito was pacing back and forth, just waiting. After a while of not seeing each other, this is what happens.
 
See, Keito just got back from England, and the moment he got back in Japan, he called Airi right away and asked her if they can go out for lunch.
 
It was supposed to be a nice day. Keito had nothing planned really, but just having Airi spend the day with him is enough.
 
But during lunch, Airi was surprisingly quiet. When she said she’ll just go to the washroom, the moment she stood up, she just fell unconscious.
 
“Keito…” It was Airi’s mother, hurrying her way towards Keito who was waiting outside Airi’s room.
 
“Suzuki-san…” He bowed and she held onto his shoulder. “She just suddenly passed out and well… I’m so sorry…”
 
“Don’t apologize, you did nothing wrong.” She smiled softly. Airi’s mother has been really nice to him ever since Airi introduced them to each other years ago. Now she peeked through Airi’s door. “Perhaps she’s just a little tired.”
 
Keito nodded, but still kept that worried face.
 
The doctor was out and Keito had a little peek of Airi just lying on that white bed. When the door shut, the doctor looked around. “You’re with Suzuki-san?” he was looking at Keito.
 
xXxXx
 
Inside the room, it was bright. The curtains were all opened up and Airi was lying there, Keito right beside her. She was holding his hand tight, her eyes closed shut as the doctor and her mom talked to the other side of the room – a conversation they can clearly hear.
 
“She has.. um… acute leukemia, to put it simply. Most patients are kids or young adults…” the doctor said, Airi’s mom was just nodding, not really sure what’s inside her mind at the moment.
 
When Keito heard this, he felt Airi’s hand shake a little. He gave her a tight squeeze and started brushing his thumb at the back of her hand.
 
“Please, don’t be too alarmed, because the good thing is, we found out about this earlier. I mean, judging by the tests done and so, it seems that it hasn’t levelled up too much yet.”
 
And while the doctor and Airi’s mom talked about the details, the treatments and so, Keito just felt his hearing fade and for a moment he was just listening to Airi breathing.
 
Soon enough, the doctor excused himself and Airi’s mom was on her other side, brushing off a hair from her face.
 
Keito was about to give them some private space but Airi kept her hold on him so he stayed. “How are you feeling honey?” Airi’s mother stopped brushing her hair.
 
Airi kept her eyes closed and sighed. “Mom…” her reply was faint, but it sounded like she just woke up.
 
Her mother just waited and so did Keito.
 
Slowly, Airi opened her eyes, “I’ll be okay. Please…don’t worry.”
 
Her mother smiled and gave Airi a hug. “Oh sweetie…”
 
“This isn’t really… bad news… It’s just… not that great.” Airi spoke, smiling now. Keito just tried to smile at what she said.
 
“Oh Airi…” Her mother looked like she wanted to cry.
 
“Mom, please.”
 
Her mother smiled. This time, Keito saw where Airi got her smile. “We’ll be scheduling treatments, okay?”
 
Airi laughed a little, “Right away?”
 
“Yes, right away.” Airi’s mom poked her head a little and then looked at Keito, “Right Keito, it has to be right away?”
 
Keito, amused at how casual they talk, took some time before he responded, “Ah… yes. Right away.”
 
“Awh…” Airi pouted and her mother just laughed. Soon, her mom leaned forward and placed a kiss on her forehead.
 
“You’ll be okay, right?” She pulled herself away from Airi. “We’re all positive that you’ll get through this.”
 
“Hai. Hai.”
 
“Okay. I’ll leave you two here, don’t do anything silly.” This got a laugh from Airi and Keito was shying away, and her mom laughed, “I’ll talk to your doctor and see what we can plan on from today.” She walked her way to the door and before closing it, “Love you. I’ll be back soon.”
 
“Love you too.” Airi replied and soon the door shut.
 
With just the two of them inside the room, Keito sighed and he sat beside Airi again. This time, Airi was trying to sit herself up and Keito helped her.
 
“Well… this was some date.”
 
Keito smiled.
 
“Hey, you can talk.”
 
“Are you sure you’re feeling okay?”
 
“Keito please… don’t worry.”
 
He sighed. “I just can’t…”
 
“Me too.” Airi smiled and took Keito’s hand. She kept her stare on Keito’s hand. “I don’t know if I wanna believe in this or not.”
 
“Airi, are you sure you’re okay?”
 
“Yes.” She’s still looking at Keito’s hand.
 
He tightened his grip on her, “Look at me.”
 
“Um?” Still, her head was down.
 
“Airi please…” This time, Keito leaned closer and he placed his forehead on hers. “Look at me.”
 
This time, Airi looked up at Keito with her eyes, their foreheads still together. Keito finally noticed that tears are welling up in her eyes.
 
Seeing her like this, Keito could only hold onto her face, both hands on either side of her face. “You can tell me anything.”
 
“I’m scared.” A tear fell and Keito caught it right before it draws a trail down her cheek. “I’m scared Keito…”
 
Their foreheads still together, he can hear her trying not to cry. “I’ll be right here, okay? I’m not going anywhere.”
 
Airi, now crying, nodded and Keito moved away and soon pulled her into a tight embrace.