Chapter 4

Where the Light Gets In

Luna

Waking up to a dead family was hardly an ideal morning, and all the phone lines were dead so no ambulance or police. I had stumbled down the street, trying all of the breathing techniques the clinic taught me when I felt the all too familiar signs of an attack taking over my system. It didn’t work of course and I spent a good fifteen minutes slumped in an alley  riding it out, gasping for air, wishing I had taken my medication this morning.

When I reached the station on foot and found all the officers dead, I wondered to a near-by office building and sat on the steps and cried, because I couldn't do anything else.  I pulled my pea coat tighter around me. It was a wasted effort though; it didn’t make me feel any warmer. I figured nothing really could, not at this point. Besides, It was winter and the absence of both human and natural life made warmth impossible. The cold feeling went away slightly when I saw them. And by the way they practically started running, they saw me too.

They were both good looking, in different ways. The taller one, dressed in all black, had broad shoulders and thick dark hair, tan skin, and an extremely handsome face; I bet he was popular with the girls at his school. The other one had dyed blond hair, a softer more feminine face, large eyes, pale skin, and long eyelashes.

As an avid believer in personal space and the like, I wasn’t sure what possessed me to stand up and hug them. But I did, and by the way they tensed up and awkwardly patted my back made me realize I didn’t make the ideal first impression.

“Sorry,” I muttered, taking a step back, sitting on the steps.

“It’s fine,” the blond said, “but are you okay?”

“No, I’m not.” I said, shrugging.

“Do you want to help us – find people or something?” The tan one asked, shoving his hands into his coat pockets. The offer sounded tempting, i wanted to be anywhere but here. I didnt have anything to do anyways.

“how do you know that we’ll find others?” I asked.

“We don’t,” the blond replied, “but we hope”

“Luna,” I said, holding out my hand.

“Luhan.” The blond replied, taking it and smiling. His hands were soft.  Luhan looked like an angel when he smiled.

“I’m Kai.” The tan boy added.

“Nice to meet you guys, I guess.” I said, picking up my bag and slinging it across my chest, “can we go?.”

It was funny, how certain circumstances brought all of us together.