Chapter 3

Where the Light Gets In

Kai

I had to admit when I first came to I thought I was the last man on earth; like some I am legend , but then quickly dismissed the thought because the idea of me saving the human race was laughable and I heard a tiny knock from inside a white civic that I walked past. I opened the door. A feminine looking blond guy that looked about fourteen years old was slumped over the steering wheel, dried blood caked on the side of his face. There was a chick in the passenger seat, obviously dead by the glass shards protruding from her neck. The guy sat up, not without a drawn out “,” as he clutched his head. The word sounded odd coming out of his mouth.

I helped him out and went to close the door when he stopped me and glanced back at the chick.

“She your girl?” I asked.

“Nah, far from it.” He replied, whispering a “sorry” before taking out an Iphone out of this coat pocket, cursing when he saw the crack along the screen.

I watched as he dialed 911 on the keypad. The one number to rely on until last night. I even walked to the station. They’re all dead.

“you don’t think I would have called them by now?” I said, “Phones are useless, and all the cops I ran into were dead.”

He tried anyways and threw the phone into the snow when the call didn’t go through.

“What the hell happened.” He asked as we walked down 5th street looking for survivors; Of what exactly, we haven’t figured out yet. Cars were scattered in the street, some turned over on their sides with unrecognizable bodies lying halfway out the windshield. Near-by shops were charred black with wispy smoke drifting into the air. Small fires still thrived in the tall seven story apartments that lined one side of the street. It was the dead of winter, the sky painted a white-gray threating to spit out cold precipitation. It was quiet. Too quiet for the city.

 “The last thing I remember was walking home and then-“ I drifted off, hoping I wasn’t the only one who heard it.

“The sound? Yeah, it happened right after the power went out. My car wouldn’t start and-“

“Are you even old enough to drive?”

He narrowed his eyes at me. “I’m 22.”

“Oh.” He was older than me, by four years. How the hell does that work out?

We walked in silence for a few minutes, both of us making an audible gasp when we saw a girl sitting on the front steps of an office building, her eyes widening when she saw us.