Chapter 1

Where the Light Gets In

Kyungsoo

My mother was never a person to dwell too much on the future, a real believer in fate. “There is no point to stop your life over something that was always meant to happen.” She said often. Despite that, she made sure the family was together when the clock struck midnight on December 21, 2012. It was 11:50.

We were all gathered around the television watching as images of fires and broken store windows and wrecked cars flashed across the screen. Delirious citizens were running around in the snow warning people to save their souls. Endless news reports about people throwing themselves in front of cars and off the golden gate bridge took up the time slot for the late night infomercials.

 “This is ridiculous,” my older sister, Ju-Hyun said, “all of this for some stupid calendar a bunch of cavemen created thousands of years ago,”

“The Mayans,” I corrected her. She narrowed her eyes at me and I shrugged.

“Whatever.”

“Seriously, the world is just going to cease to exist? We’re all going to die, just like that? ”Yoon-Mi, my other sister and Ju-Hyun’s twin added.  

Mom shrugged and glanced at the clock, “We’ll find out in five minutes won’t we?”

Yoon-Mi and Ju-Hyun shrunk back into the couch pouting.

The announcer droned on, listing the major cities around the world we lost contact with after they hit midnight.

I silently chuckled to myself. This was definitely not how I imagined spending my last moments on earth. Kissing someone under the Eiffel tower in Paris or eating delicious food in some expensive restaurant maybe but not this. I sent a mass text to my friends, telling them that if we never saw each other again I loved them and hoped I’ll see them on the other side. We would joke about it the next day and get on with our lives. That’s all you can do.

 Mom stood up, “two minutes left. I just want to let you know that if this really is the end-“

“Stop, mom. Please.” Ju-hyun groaned burying her face into Yoon-mi’s lap. “Why are you always like this?”

Mom laughed and continued “I love you three and it was a joy to watch you grow into smart, beautiful people and that’s all a mother could ever ask for.” She finished. “And I hope your father is rotting in hell somewhere.”

It was like she was saying goodbye after a long bout with cancer or something. It disturbed me how calm and serious she was.

“What the heck.” I said, “The world’s not gonna end.” My voice cracked, “We are all going to wake up in the morning, and you’re going to go to work. Yoon-mi and Ju-Hyun are going to argue over something stupid, a-and I’ll – “

My words were muffled into Mom sweater as she wrapped her arms around me. “Shh.” She said, “What’s gotten into you, huh?”

“Twelve seconds,” Yoon-mi said, “twelve seconds until we get on with our freaking lives.”

The announcer on the television was counting down like it was new year’s eve; except for no ball no times square and no star studded parties and performances, if the deadpan voice wasn’t enough. Something stirred deep within me when silent tears fell down the older man’s face.

“5”

“4”

I clutched onto Moms sweater until my knuckles were white.

“3”

“I love you guys.”

“2”

“1”

Nothing Happened. The announcer on the television looked relieved

“Okay, this was stupid.” Yoon-mi hopped up from the couch. “Goodnight”

“Wait.” Mom said, unable to move from my death hold on her.

Yes it was midnight. And yes, we were still alive. But something was different. Felt different. Like an extra charge in the air. It made me feel sick.

The TV shut off, then the lights. Ju-Hyun screamed when we were engulfed in darkness.

“Calm down,” mom said, “follow my voice.”

They found their way to us and piled themselves on top of me and mom; I found comfort in the body heat and the sound of their heartbeats.

“I’m scared.” Ju-Hyun croaked, “I don’t want to die.”

“it’s okay baby. I’m scared too, but it makes it a little bit more bearable with you guys with me.” Mom said.

I willed myself not to cry, but god I wanted to.  I was supposed to be the man of the house, but any ounce of manliness goes down the drain when i have to be comforted by my own mother to stop me from getting emotional like a child.  But, I really didn’t want to die.

Then the noise started. An unnatural, deafening noise that made my head feel like it was splitting into pieces. It rattled my bones, my nerve endings. Is this what dying is like? The windows were breaking, glass shattering into the wood floor. Cold, winter air crept into our house. I clutched into my head, trying to hold it together. My sisters’ screams of horror were completely drowned out.

My body crumpled to the floor. I felt wetness trickle down my face and through my fingers. Make it stop. Anyone make it stop.

I out.

 

A/N: After reading some amazing fics from the exo community, i decided to make my own. kinda helps with my kyungsoo feels. what did you think?