the brave one

because you shine

 

Just two days after the filming of Jongin’s first teaser, he and Luhan were taken to the set of the second teaser. During the car ride there, they were silent, but Jongin could sense that Luhan was nervous. For the first couple minutes, he just looked out the window, to give the older some space, but after that, it was clear that Luhan needed reassurance. He was fidgeting with his fingers and biting his lip constantly.

            Jongin reached over and put a hand on Luhan’s shoulder.

            “Hyung, don’t freak out.”

            “I’m not freaking out.”

            “Oh, really.”

            “I’m not!”

            “Okay then.”

            Luhan nibbled on his lip some more, then he said, “Okay, I’m kinda freaking out.”

            Jongin laughed and told him, “There’s nothing to freak out about, hyung. We practiced this until eleven last night. We were perfect during practice; we’ll be perfect during the real thing.”

            “Well you’ll be perfect. What if I mess up?”

            “Who says I’m perfect.”

            Luhan stared at him. “Everyone! You never mess up. Ever.”

            “Yes I do.”

            “When?”

            Jongin thought back to every stupid thing he had ever told Sehun because he had been too shy to confess. “A lot of times.”

            Luhan glared at him, but the glare quickly turned back into worry. Jongin reached over and separated Luhan’s hands, which had been fidgeting like crazy. “Calm down, hyung. We’re going to be great. We’re going to be great.”

            Luhan smiled gratefully at him, and when they got out of the van to shoot the teaser, there was confidence in his step.

 

            When the director called them up, Jongin put his Kai face on, and Luhan took a deep breath next to him. They stepped on the set, and the director motioned them to start. The familiar music blasted throughout the set, and Kai felt that rush of adrenaline he felt right before he would dance. He and Luhan moved perfectly together, until the jump. Luhan stumbled a little on the landing, and the director yelled, “Cut!”

            Luhan flushed, and Kai put a hand on his shoulder. “Shake it off, hyung. We can take it again.” Luhan nibbled on his lip and looked at the ground, embarrassed. When the director motioned them to get into their places for another take, Kai looked over at Luhan and nodded. Luhan lifted his head, and the music started again.

           This time, it was flawless throughout. The jump was perfect and they were perfectly in sync with each other. When they were finished, the director looked pleased and even praised them before he left to discuss some things with the camera crew.

            Luhan didn’t say much, but he smiled gratefully at Jongin.

 

            Right before they left, the director called them back. More specifically, he called Jongin and their manager.

            “We’ll be shooting the My Lady teaser one more time, tomorrow.”

            Their manager looked a little confused. “Again?”

            The director nodded. “Yes. We’ve decided to make it two teasers. The first one will be an edited version of two separate versions. The other one will be a one take version.”

            Their manager nodded and said, “That sounds fine.” Jongin nodded too, and made a note to himself to practice the choreography when he got back to the practice room.

 

            Back at the practice room, everyone was practicing their various parts. Kyungsoo and Baekhyun were recording some of their new songs that they had gotten a couple days ago, but everyone else was there. Joonmyun smiled at them when they came in and asked how it went.

            “Fine,” Luhan said, “but I wouldn’t have been able to do it without Jongin here.”

            Jongin laughed and pushed him away, but inside, he was grateful for Luhan’s comment. He had never wanted Luhan to hate him, no matter what.

 

            Sehun stayed later with Jongin, after everyone left, so they could practice their dance routine again. Jongin felt that Sehun was overstressing, but he knew that the practice was good for them. Sehun leaned against the wall, watching as Jongin did a quick run through of the My Lady choreography.

            “How do you do it?”

            Jongin shook his bangs out of his eyes. “Do what?”

            “You know, dance. Like the way you do.”

            “How do I dance?”

            “It’s like...smooth. And connected. You make it look easy, even when it’s not.”

            Jongin was flattered, but he kept his face straight. “It’s easy if you think it is.”

            Sehun snorted and unhitched himself from the wall. “One more runthrough?”

            Jongin rolled his eyes. “For you.”

            Sehun smiled.

 

            The next couple teasers went smoothly, and Jongin felt himself relaxing in front of the camera more. It was more natural to see the black lens staring at him while he danced. He could envision people in place of the lens; screaming fans.

           

            Sehun had his first teaser right before his and Jongin’s joint one. But it wasn’t a dance teaser. He was going stand there while the camera shot him from artistic angles. It wasn’t much, but the director promised that they would add in special effects later.

            Jongin tagged along because he thought Sehun would need that extra support.

            He was right. Even though he wouldn’t be doing any dancing, Sehun was still a nervous wreck right before the filming.

            “What is my face supposed to look like? Am I supposed to smile? Or look like a prissy ? And do I really just stand there? Are there any movements I’m supposed to do? What if it turns out weird and everything things I’m a weirdo?”

            It went on and on. Jongin tried not to laugh and put an arm around Sehun’s shoulders. “Relax, Sehun. You’ll do great. The director will give you cues and everything. You’ll be fine.”

            Sehun bit his lip.

 

            After the shooting was done, Sehun flopped into the seat of the van. “Well that was stupid. I just stood there like some spoiled, stupid pretty boy.”

            “Maybe you are a spoiled, stupid pretty boy.” Sehun smacked Jongin for that.

            Jongin rubbed his aching arm, but laughed. Sehun glared at him a bit before laughing with him. Then when they were back at the practice room, he whined until Jongin did a couple runthroughs of their dance.

            When Jongin collapsed, panting, against the wall, Sehun looked worried.

            “How’s your back, Jongin?”

            Jongin looked up, startled. He hadn’t really thought a lot about his back the past couple of weeks.

            “Fine. It doesn’t hurt anymore. The cream you got me really works.”

            Sehun relaxed visibly and tugged him up. “Then you can manage a couple more runthroughs.” Jongin rolled his eyes but let himself be pulled up.

 

            Later that night, Jongin found Sehun curled up on the couch in the living room. The television was on, but it was muted. Sehun was staring with unseeing eyes at the screen. When Jongin found him, he barely looked up. Jongin turned the television off and sat next to the younger.

            “What are you doing up so late?”

            “Well, what are you doing up so late?”

            Jongin shrugged. “Couldn’t sleep.”

            “Neither could I.”

            “Well, I’m not the one that was staring like a zombie at the television.”

            “I do not stare like a zombie.”

            “You just were.”

            Sehun shifted slightly, but his arms were still wrapped tightly around his knees. Jongin reached over and brushed Sehun’s hair out of his eyes. Sehun’s skin was pale; it had always been pale. It had contrasted with Jongin’s dark skin in a way that was somewhat mesmerizing.

            Sehun looked over, and there was something in his eyes that Jongin hadn’t been expecting.

            “What’s wrong, Sehun-ah?”

            Sehun hesitated, then he said, “Remember when we dared each other to eat those spicy peppers?”

            Jongin laughed a little. “Yeah. How could I forget.”

            “You were always the brave one, hyung.”

            Jongin was a bit confused. “What do you mean?”

            “You were never scared to try anything new, and you always did it. I was always scared, but you pulled me along and showed me that it actually wasn’t that scary. But if you hadn’t done that, I would never have done a lot of stuff. Eat the peppers. Climb the trees in the park. Ask out that girl in 8th grade.”

            “But I didn’t–”

            “Yeah, you did. You were always a natural leader. Everyone thought you were perfect.”

            “I’m not perfect.”

            Sehun tucked his chin behind his knees. “You sure seem like it.”

            Jongin was silent. Sehun looked over at him, and Jongin wanted to say something, something right. But nothing would come out of his mouth.

            “Jongin?”

            “Hm?”

            Sehun nibbled on his lip. “I…I’m hungry.”

            Jongin laughed. “It’s almost three in the morning, Sehun-ah.”

            Sehun pouted. “But I’m hungry.”

            Jongin got up. “Okay fine. I’ll make you something, but you know that I’m bad at cooking.”

            “You’re better than me.”

            Jongin rolled his eyes. “Everyone’s better at cooking than you. You’re one of the only people that can burn water.”

 

            Jongin didn’t really know how to cook, save what his sisters had taught him years ago. They taught him how to make mac & cheese, because ‘everyone should know how to make mac & cheese’. There was a box in one of the kitchen cabinets, so Jongin thought, ‘why not’.

            Sehun watched, leaning against the counter, as Jongin measured the amount of water needed. Jongin put the pot on the stove, turning the burner on.

            “Who taught you how to cook?”

            “My sisters.”

            Sehun laughed. “Really? I was under the impression that you never really opened up to them.”

            “I didn’t really. I was never one of those outgoing kids.”

            “But you’re open around me.”

            Jongin laughed, trying not to let bitterness color the sound. “Well yeah. You’re my best friend.” And we could be more.

            Sehun paused, then, “Jongin?”

            Jongin turned around, and found his lips pressed against Sehun’s. He stifled a gasp as Sehun’s arms encircled his waist.

            Sehun broke away. “Is this…okay?”

            Jongin didn’t say anything, just pulled him back.

 

            He didn’t know how long the kiss lasted, but they broke apart as the pot started to whistle. Sehun laughed. “You should probably get to that.”

            Jongin laughed with him. “Or I could become one of those people that can burn water. Just like you.”

            Sehun rolled his eyes, but didn’t say anything to that.

 

            Jongin was surprised that he still remembered how to make mac & cheese, and was somewhat pleased at the finished product. He transferred the food to a plate and handed it to Sehun to taste. Sehun took a bite and nodded. “Not bad.”

            “Better than anything you’ll ever make.”

            Sehun laughed. “The sad thing is, that’s true.”

            Jongin just wound his arm around his waist and rested his head on Sehun’s shoulder, feeling the younger’s hair tickle his cheek. 



 

A/N: wow I should really update this more often OTL

but anyway. you guys got your sekai kiss :)

AS;DLFJASF I GOT A NEW THEME FOR MY EXO BLOG AGAIN AND IT'S SO PRETTY ASLDJASDLF go look at it here and my personal tumblr here ◕‿◕ 

omg guys I wrote a layhan oneshot and a sukai oneshot omg alsdfjka;sldfsajl; I'll post them later :D

thanks for reading!! 

omg sekai as;dlfkjas;dlkfja;sf and Kyungsoo staring at them HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

okay I'll leave now