diamonds

because you shine

 

           Jongin didn’t say anything about Sehun when he got back to the apartment. Yixing gave him a look, but didn’t ask any questions, while Kyungsoo pushed them both out of the way so he could get to the vegetables.

           

            Luhan followed him back to his room and flopped onto his bed before Jongin could.

            “What happened?” he said, voice slightly muffled by the pillow.

            Jongin pushed him over and flopped on the bed next to him. “Nothing.”

            “Don’t nothing me,” Luhan said. “You’re so easy to read.”

            “Am not,” Jongin retorted. Luhan just rolled his eyes.

            “You saw Sehun at the store, didn’t you. With Nayoung.”

            Jongin opened his mouth and closed it again. “That’s either a very good guess, or Sehun told you what happened.”

            Luhan rolled over to face him. “You okay?”

            Jongin turned away.

 

 

            Luhan eventually dragged him out of bed because Kyungsoo wanted someone to taste check his soup.

            Jongin whined, but the promise of food was enough to get him up.

            “It’s a new recipe,” Kyungsoo said, as he ladled some into a bowl. “I just want to make sure it tastes okay.”

            “So I’m your guinea pig?” Jongin said, sliding into a chair at the table.      

            Kyungsoo laughed, handing Jongin the bowl. “Yeah I guess so.”

            Jongin took a sip, and faked gagging, because Kyungsoo was so fun to tease.

            Kyungsoo’s eyes widened, and he thumped Jongin on the back, muttering to himself that it had been such a bad idea to try a new recipe. He went around the kitchen pulling new ingredients until he saw that Jongin was laughing.

            “Relax, hyung,” Jongin said, trying to stop laughing. “It tastes really good.”

            Kyungsoo glared at him and muttered to himself how mean Jongin was.

            “I’m not mean,” Jongin protested. Luhan snorted as he came into the kitchen.

            “No,” Luhan said. “You just like playing ridiculous jokes on people.”

            “That describes you perfectly, Luhan,” Yixing said, flopping into the chair next to Jongin. “Remember everything you did to Wu Fan in the dorms?”

            Luhan laughed. “I think he hated me.”

            “Maybe he still hates you,” Yixing said. Luhan smacked him, and Jongin laughed.

 

 

            Joonmyun walked in the door fifteen minutes early, as they all expected him to. Joonmyun was always early to things.

            Sehun, on the other hand, came twenty minutes late, hand-in-hand with Nayoung. She smiled, and Jongin had to admit that she was cute.

            “Sorry we’re late,” Sehun said to them. “Nayoung wanted to bring something, and so I waited until she was done.”

            “I hope it looks okay,” Nayoung said worriedly. Kyungsoo opened the bag she had given him, and he nodded approving at the cut fruit.

            “It looks nice,” he told her, and she relaxed visibly. When she reached up to tuck a piece of hair behind her ear, Jongin caught a flash of something on her finger.

 

            Kyungsoo made them all get in line and serve themselves, because he had ‘done enough work and was tired’. He stretched out on the couch, and Luhan pushed him over, because that’s just something Luhan would do.

 

            After they had eaten and cleaned up, Joonmyun brought out the wine glasses and the bottles. They poured glasses for each other, but right before they took the first sip, Sehun cleared his throat.

            They all looked at him, and he turned and looked at Nayoung. Jongin bit his lip as Nayoung smiled and took his hand. He could see what had flashed on her finger earlier: a ring.

            “So Nayoung and I have been seeing each other for a couple months now,” Sehun said. “And I thought it would be…nice to make it more official.”

            “So?” Joonmyun prompted.

            “We’re getting married,” Sehun blurted out, and flushed red. Nayoung covered her smile with her free hand.

            Everyone got up and congratulated them, patting him on the back and hugging her.

            “Congratulations!” Luhan squealed, and Sehun laughed and slung an arm around his neck. “Thanks, hyung.”

            Jongin stood up and put a hand on Sehun’s shoulder. Sehun looked wary, but didn’t move away.

            “Congrats,” Jongin said, trying to sound enthusiastic. “That’s great.”

            Sehun smiled a little. “You don’t sound to excited, Jongin.”

            “I am,” Jongin said, indignantly. “I just…I’m just surprised.”

            Sehun came forward and hugged him. Jongin stiffened, but Sehun didn’t let go.

            “Thanks, Jongin,” Sehun said, his voice slightly muffled by Jongin’s shoulder. Jongin nodded, and Sehun let go.

 

            Later, Luhan curled up on the couch next to Jongin, wrapping his arms around his legs and tucking them behind his chin. He didn’t say anything, but Jongin still felt better knowing that he was there.

            He fell asleep with his head resting on Luhan’s shoulder.

 

 

            “Well,” Yixing said, a couple days later. “Nayoung’s excited.”

            “You think,” Luhan deadpanned. “She’s a girl, and girls like weddings.”

            Jongin stretched out on the couch. It was early afternoon, and he had just woken up. Luhan and Yixing had just come back from the gym, and were sweaty. When Jongin had asked them why they didn’t take a shower, they did have two bathrooms, they flopped on the floor.

            Jongin just rolled his eyes.

 

            “The tentative date is in two months,” Yixing said, running his fingers through his sweaty hair.

            Luhan frowned. “Isn’t that really soon?”
            “Yes,” Yixing said. “But they want to be back from their honeymoon before she has to leave for some business trip.”

            “Oh,” Jongin said. “Well isn’t that thoughtful of them.”

            Luhan reached up and patted Jongin on the back, like that would make him feel better. Jongin wanted to snap at him, but he knew that Luhan was only trying to help. He got up, shrugging the blanket off of his back.

            “I’m going to go wash up,” he muttered, and he could feel Luhan’s gaze following him down the hall.

 

 

            Weddings were torturous to plan, Jongin thought, as Nayoung ran down the list of everything they needed, including the flowers and decorations and food and their suits.

            “Make sure to have them tailored,” she emphasized, more than once. As much as he tried, Jongin couldn’t hate her. They would have been good friends, he thought, if she wasn’t marrying Sehun.

           

            Sehun joined Jongin and Kyungsoo when they went to be measured for their suits, and Jongin tried to pretend that it wasn’t awkward.

            While the assistant took their measurements, they were silent, mostly because they couldn’t talk freely in front of anyone. Jongin just smiled at the girl at the register once before they left, and she dropped a stapler on her foot. Sehun choked on his coffee. Kyungsoo tried to look disapproving, and failed.

            “Still killing fangirls?” Sehun whispered in his ear.

            Jongin shivered involuntarily at the slight breeze on his neck. “Yeah, I guess so.”

 

            Nayoung became more and more hysteric as the wedding drew near. She was planning the entire thing mostly by herself, because her maid of honor was currently overseas. She would return in time for the dress rehearsals, but she couldn’t help plan.

            Yixing sometimes gently took the pen and papers out of her hands and told her to get some sleep.

            When Jongin asked why, Yixing just said, “I don’t want Sehun’s wedding to be ruined because his bride falls asleep walking down the aisle. Besides, I’m pretty fashionable, if I don’t say so myself.”

            Luhan heard this when he walked by and hit his forehead with his palm.

 

 

            Jongin found himself more and more involved in the wedding planning, now that Yixing was that ‘honorary maid of honor’ for the time being. He went with Nayoung to pick out flowers and decide the color scheme of the decorations. She would smile at him gratefully, and it was really impossible for Jongin to hate her. She was such a nice girl.

            Nayoung wasn’t marrying Sehun for his money, or his fame, Jongin realized. She actually loved him. Jongin could see it when she talked to him over the phone, or when she pecked him on the cheek as a greeting. Sehun was hard to read, but Nayoung wasn’t. She loved him.

 

 

            When their suits came, Jongin tried his on, and stood in front of the mirror in the bathroom. He looked nice in it, he thought. He had finally grown into his height and looks, and now he was more confident. Yixing nudged him over, wearing his own suit. Then Luhan came and pushed them both so he could fit inside too.

            Luhan still looked way younger than his actual age, Jongin thought.

 

            He took the suit off and hung it in his closet, so it wouldn’t be wrinkled next week, at the wedding.

 

            Something changed that last week for Jongin. He looked at the suits, flowers, or anything that had something to do with the wedding and felt a little sick, and dizzy. He would excuse himself and go lay down until the feeling went away, but the feeling would come back every time he got back up.

            It eventually got so bad that he couldn’t sleep. He would toss and turn the entire night, sleep eluding him. Yixing worried about him, but Jongin pushed him away, saying it was okay.

            This turned out to be a mistake, because Yixing told Luhan, and Luhan was impossible to get rid of. He would climb into Jongin’s bed and bug him until Jongin finally yelled that he couldn’t go to the wedding. He felt sick and he would really appreciate it if Luhan left him alone.

            Luhan smoothed Jongin’s hair away from his forehead, his fingertips lightly grazing his forehead.

            “Get some sleep, Jongin-ah,” he said softly. Jongin squeezed his eyes shut, and Luhan left, shutting the door after him.