on the edge

because you shine

 

            As much as Jongin knew that it was better for Sehun to marry Nayoung, that Nayoung actually loved him, he didn’t want them to get married. He didn’t want to see Sehun kiss Nayoung at the alter; he didn’t want to see them together.

           

            He wanted Sehun to love him, to be with him. He wanted Nayoung to just go away and never come back, even though he knew that she was the better option for Sehun.

 

            But it wasn’t going to happen, he knew that. Sehun and Nayoung were going to have the perfect wedding, go on a perfect honeymoon, live in a perfect house, have perfect children, perfect everything.

            Jongin wished that he could give Sehun that.

 

            But he couldn’t, which was why Sehun was marrying Nayoung.

 

            He wondered how much Sehun even loved Nayoung.

 

 

 

            So as the wedding drew closer, Luhan didn’t bring it up when Jongin came out of his room every once in a while. Yixing didn’t mention it during mealtimes, and Jongin didn’t ask. He knew that Yixing was only helping to plan the wedding because he wanted Sehun to have a nice wedding. It was all for Sehun, not Nayoung.

            He didn’t hold anything against Yixing.

 

 

            Jongin liked to pretend that none of this was happening, even though he knew it would hurt more when he snapped out of it. He liked to just block out everything that was going on and sleep. Sleep was his only escape, really.

 

           Luhan would sometimes come in his room to make sure he was okay, but Jongin would pretend to be asleep. He knew Luhan meant well, but he didn’t know what to say to the elder. Jongin felt a little bad for doing this, but Luhan didn’t seem to hold it against him. He would just smooth back Jongin’s hair and adjust his blankets before leaving.

 

           

            So when Luhan woke him up on the day of the wedding, Jongin had made up his mind that he would be going. Even though he knew that he didn’t have to, he wanted to at least try. The thought of the wedding still made him feel a little sick, but he felt that he owed it to Yixing to see his hard work pay off.

 

            So Jongin got in the shower and let the water rinse away all those bad thoughts, everything that had been haunting him for the past week.

 

 

            It didn’t work.

 

            Jongin tried to put on his suit, but he felt like the fabric was pressing down on him, suffocating him. The tie felt like it was squeezing his throat, choking him. He tore it off and threw it on the floor, holding in a scream.

            Luhan came in, dressed and ready. His eyes widened when he saw Jongin, crouched on the floor, staring at the tie.

 

            “Jongin?”

            Jongin didn’t look up. He just squeezed his eyes shut.

            “You don’t have to go, Jongin. You know that.”

            “I can’t,” Jongin whispered. “I can’t do this.”

            Luhan nodded, putting a hand on Jongin’s back. “It’s okay. I’ll tell Yixing that you won’t be coming.”

            Jongin looked up. “You understand, right?”

            Luhan smiled a little. “You know, once upon a time, I loved him too.”

            Jongin nodded, and took Luhan’s hand. Luhan pulled him up, and left him to his thoughts.

 

 

            Jongin climbed the stairs to the roof of the apartment. He always felt better on high ground, and he liked roofs.

            Luhan and Yixing were leaving; he could see their car pulling away. They had looked so nice in their suits, and Jongin wished that he could look nice in a suit with them.

           

            It was quiet on the roof, and he sat on the edge, letting his feet dangle. He could see the church where Sehun and Nayoung would be getting married.

 

            He lay back, letting the bottom half of his legs swing free. He closed his eyes, even though there wasn’t much sun that day. It was mostly overcast, with a hint of sky here and there.

 

 

 

            He didn’t know how long he lay there before there was the sound of the door opening, and Jongin knew that there was someone else on the roof with him. He twisted around and picked himself off the ground, assuming it was Luhan, come to yell at him for being reckless and sitting on the edge of the roof.

 

            It wasn’t Luhan.

 

            It was Sehun. Sehun, who was supposed to be stepping up on the alter, side by side with Nayoung. Sehun, who had left him. Sehun, who had been through everything since they were born together.

            Sehun, who was staring at him with wide eyes.

           

            “I thought you were going to come,” Sehun blurted out. “I thought you were going to come to my wedding.”

            Jongin was surprised. He hadn’t known what Sehun was going to say, but that certainly hadn’t been anything near what he might have expected.

            “You thought I was going to come,” Jongin said. “To your wedding.”

            Sehun fidgeted, loosening his tie. He looked pretty handsome in his suit, Jongin thought, before pushing the thought out of his mind.

            “I still thought,” Sehun said, hesitantly, “that you would come. To see me.”

            Jongin huffed. “The world,” he said, “does not revolve around you, Sehun.”

            Sehun looked as if Jongin had punched him in the face. “But–”

            “But what,” Jongin snapped. “But you still expected me to do everything for you? Me to give up everything for you? Me to love you, even though I wouldn’t receive anything in return?”

            Sehun stared at him, and Jongin thought that he was going to leave when he suddenly closed the distance between them.

 

            And then Sehun’s lips were on his again, just as they had been before. Jongin gasped, and Sehun wound his finger’s through Jongin’s hair, holding him so he couldn’t pull away. Jongin felt Sehun’s breath catch in his throat, and let his mouth fall open, and it turned into a waltz of tongues, except no waltz was this fast or desperate.

            Sehun pulled away, his lips pink and a little swollen.

 

            “I made a mistake,” he whispered. “I thought…I thought that what my parents thought was best for me would be the best for me. But…”

            Jongin swiped his thumb under Sehun’s eye. “But what?”

            “But when you stopped talking to me,” Sehun whispered, even softer, “when I couldn’t find you In the audience at the wedding, I just, I couldn’t. I couldn’t think about Nayoung or the wedding or anything practical. I just wanted to be with you, to be next to you, to make you laugh, to just make sure you were okay and happy. And so I just ran. I grabbed Luhan and took his keys and ran to the cars and jumped into the one connected to the keys and drove here because you were here.”

            Jongin didn’t say anything, just slipped his hand into Sehun’s letting their fingers twine together.

            “What are you going to do now?” he whispered. “All those people at the wedding; your parents, Nayoung, everyone, what are you going to tell them?”

            Sehun leaned forward and pressed his lips to Jongin’s one more time. When he broke away, he whispered, “I don’t know, but I know that I’m not going to screw up this time.”

 

            He kissed Jongin again, clasping both of their hands together, and Jongin knew that they both wouldn’t let go. Not this time.

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

A/N: First off, I want to thank every single person who read this. Silent readers, subscribers, commenters, EVERYONE. 

This is not my best writing, obviously, and I'm really surprised that people read this at all, to be quite honest.

I don't really know how I feel about this, it didn't turn out how I thought it would, and I'm kinda confused, haha.

Special thanks to everyone who subscribed and commented, though. It really kept me going to finish this. ♥♥♥

So with that, I'm going to have to announce an indefinite hiatus from AFF. I don't really have any more chaptered fic ideas, but what I do have are plot bunnies that I'm writing and planning to post to livejournal. If you like my writing (which I'm sure is no one), pop on over there and check it out! ◕‿◕