Chapter 3: Curious

Cinderella And His Petal

*YEONHEE POV

I chose an apartment 2 blocks away from Super Junior’s dorm so I could be there in case of emergency. I graduated here in Seoul as a nursing student and passed the board exam but then, my real dream was to be a Marketing Management graduate that’s why I asked my father to send me to the Philippines so I could study there. Thankfully, he agreed and I studied there for 5 years in De LaSalle State University. Filipinos are very kind and hospitable people. I had no problems in my stay and I had a lot of friends, most of them were ELFs and a few knew that I was really Lee Sungmin’s sister. But living far from home has its consequences. During my first week there, I was crying every night because I miss my oppas so I kept calling them. Sungmin Oppa and Sungjin Oppa talked to me until I fall asleep and the next day, they’ll be sending me messages. After a month, I got used to living my life alone. I was close to Super Junior but not that close to Heechul. I don’t know why. We rarely talk when I go to their dorm before. Ryeowook Oppa, Leeteuk Oppa, and Eunhyuk Oppa were the only members that I was really close with but I really wanted to be close to Heechul Oppa because he’s my first crush and my bias in Super Junior. Yes, I am a Petal and it never changed after 5 years. It was only Sungjin Oppa who knew this although back in the Philippines, I had a crush on one of my schoolmates, Miko, but then I heard him talking about a bet with his friends. They were betting on my feelings for him and from that day, I swear to be careful when I fall for someone. And right now, I’m starting to think if I’ll still continue my feelings for Heechul now that Soon Jae’s here. I’ve been gone for too long. “Are you sure you’re alright, Yeonhee?” Sungmin Oppa asked me as we ate that night in Kona Beans. “Oppa, who’s Soon Jae to all of you?” I asked him. “Hm? Jae-ah?” he asked again. She really looked close to them. “When did you meet her?” I asked again pouting. “Omo, look at you, Yeonhee! Mastering my signature aegyo pout! I’m a proud Oppa!” he said smiling as he pinched my cheeks. “Ow! Oppa!” I said rubbing my cheeks. “Well, Song Jae Soon arrived a year after you left. She’s Korea’s youngest and most acclaimed director and writer. She won the Palme D’Or in Cannes and so SME collaborated with her to work on our next album and our Super Show VCRs as well. We’re lucky to meet her because Young Jin hyung said she was planned to work with SNSD but she convinced Soo Man sonsaengnim to work with us instead. She’s like a year younger than you and she really grew close to us because she lives just in front of our dorm. Heechul hyung’s close to her because of Hongki. Hongki’s been rumored to be courting her but Soon Jae’s just quiet about it though she hangs with the chocoballs a lot. She’s also close to Sungjin and Jongjin because she usually works here or in Handel and Gretel when she has free time. She’ll be going to Thailand with me and Kyu on September because we’ll be filming something I still don’t know of.” Sungmin Oppa finished his story as he took a bite on his melon bread. So Soon Jae’s younger than me? But… what’s really her relationship with Heechul?

*SOON JAE POV

“Let’s drive to Kona. I want to have coffee there.” I said as Heechul drove after picking up my cameras. “Why not to KStory? I like their coffee there. And fries!” he said excitedly. “But it’s not spacious there and a lot of Petals are stuck there waiting for you.” I said looking outside as we passed by Handel and Gretel. “Aish. Fine. To Kona it is.” He said scowling. I smiled.

*HEECHUL POV

To my surprise, Yeonhee was there as well with Sungmin. Sungmin, being a very kind dongsaeng that he is, asked us to sit with them. And Soon Jae even agreed happily. This girl, really. “Hi, Yeonhee! Hi Sungmin!” Soon Jae greeted them with a smile as she set 3 of her laptops in front of them. “Omo, what will you do, Director Song?” Sungmin asked Soon Jae who was now going through her cameras. “I’ll be editing shots. I can’t let Sunri do all the work; he wants some time to bond with his kid. Have you seen his daughter? She’s really cute!” she said looking at them. “Err… I’ll get food. What do you want, SJ?” I asked Soon Jae. “You know the usual.” She said smiling. “Oh, Yeonhee, why don’t you accompany Heechul? The foods I order here are quite a lot.” she said and Yeonhee shot her a puzzled look. I stood up and shook my head but Yeonhee followed me. “It’s okay if you… I mean…” I stuttered. “You seem so close to her… I mean… everyone.” She mumbled as I ordered Soon Jae’s and my food. “Oh, SJ? Yeah. She’s like a baby sister to everyone… well, she’s my best friend though.” I told her. “Bestfriend?” she asked me again. “Err… yeah, bestfriend.” I said and smiled sheepishly. “Okay.” she said as she helped me with the trays.

*SOON JAE POV

“Oh, Sungmin, its Heechul’s birthday soon. Are you planning something?” I asked Sungmin as he sat beside me and we reviewed their pictures. “Oh, nae! It is his birthday soon. Well, I know he’ll be celebrating it with us on the morning and on the evening; he’ll be drinking with the chocoballs… Oooh! I like that picture of me!” he said as he pointed his picture on the screen. “Jeongmal? Did you prepare a gift for him?” I asked him as I started working on his picture. “Well, I still am not sure yet… wait! Can you like just lighten this part a bit?” he asked me as I lightened a spot under his neck. “Perfect!” he said smiling. “Here’s your food.” Heechul said as he and Yeonhee came carrying the trays. “Yummy!” I exclaimed as I got the fries and my mayo dip. “So, Soon Jae-ah, where did you study?” Yeonhee asked me as Sungmin browsed through the other pictures on my laptop. “Me? Oh, I studied in the Film Academy of Paris then I came back here.” I said as I ate my fries. “How long have you been friends with Heechul Oppa?” she asked again. “I dunno. Quite long.” I said trying to remember. “Why aren’t you calling him Oppa? He’s like older than you.” She said. “Well, the same reason you don’t call him Oppa.” I said and smirked. “Oh! Oh! Jae-ah, can I have this picture of me and Kyu printed?” Sungmin began as he showed me their picture I shot during our free time in the studio. “Sure. I’ll have them printed tomorrow.” I said smiling. “Omo, it’s getting late. We better go ahead, Yeonhee. I’ll see you back at the dorm, hyung. Take care, Jae-ah.” Sungmin said standing up and Yeonhee followed him still looking at me in disbelief. “You shouldn’t have shown your ego to her.” Heechul mumbled sipping his coffee.