It's good to be home

Right place, wrong time

 

We ended up staying an extra three weeks after Daniel and Jisu decided they wanted to visit every landmark and museum in Paris.  Why, I will never know.  I guess they knew we wouldn’t be back for a while and wanted to do all the tourist like things possible.  And I never thought I would say it but I missed Korea, a lot.  And a certain boy who I tried to forget about but failed miserably and spent the entire time paranoid over him reading the letter.  The more I thought about it the more I realized putting that letter in a math book was one of the dumbest things I’ve ever done.  And I’ve done a lot of stupid stuff.  I’ll blame the hung over state I was in, at least that makes me feel a little better.  That, and Jisu and Daniel were nice enough to not mention him the entire time we were there.

This trip wasn’t just about going to museums though.  Daniel and I worked out our issues, finally deciding it was stupid to be bitter toward each other for what our ex’s did.  And that talk turned into Jisu dragging us around town to celebrate.  I think he was just missing Hye and needed an excuse to get me to help him shop for her but I would never tell him that. 

What surprised me about this trip though was that more often than not I was roaming around town myself.  I would wake up earlier than the boys would and didn’t want to sit around the house bored.  This brought me to the bakery not too far down the street; and the classes that were held there every morning from eight am to noon.  And I would get back just in time for the boys to wake up and want to go to lunch.  It was perfect and I was finally figuring out what I wanted to do with my life.  I don’t think my grandmother is going to be very happy I want to be a baker though.  I swear, mention that you want to be something once and she thinks you have your heart set on it. 

So, in a way I’m sad to be going home.  I’d started to grow a little attached to the baker and his fifteen year old son, who I admit made a pass at me.  First thing out of my mouth?  I have a boyfriend.  First person I thought of?  Dongrim.  Shoot me.  And I feel like I shouldn’t have told Jisu that, it’ll find its way back to Dongrim somehow.  Plus, it was nice to speak French.  But I needed to be home with my brothers and there were still college applications to fill out for next year and announcements to be made. 

This is your captain speaking, we are about to make our descent into Incheon International Airport.  Please place your trays in the upright positions, dispose of your trash and buckle your seatbelts.  We hope you have a wonderful visit in South Korea.

To my left Daniel snorted and woke up slowly and to my right Jisu hit his head on the window and woke up with a jolt.  Dorks.  “I told you two to wake up an hour ago.”

“Yeah, but that was an hour ago,” Daniel grumbled while rubbing his eyes and sitting up straighter.  “We’re about to land?”  He asked, looking around and smiling tiredly at the attendant who had given him the pillow earlier.       

“Five more minutes,” Jisu mumbled before I was able to respond and tried to snuggle up into the chair again.

“Oh no you don’t Jisu!”  I shook his shoulders roughly and he tried to shove me away, “Hye and Hyun are going to be waiting for us don’t be a bum and wake up so you can at least look somewhat presentable.”

He cracked one eye open and glared at me, “I haven’t see her in nearly two months she won’t care and I’ve been on a plane for twelve hours I don’t think she’s expecting prince charming.”

Smirking I flicked his forehead, “Whatever, wake up I don’t want to be the last one off the plane and our luggage get stolen or something.”  Jisu grumbled something about me being paranoid but finally woke up anyway, rubbing his eyes and yawning for what seemed like forever.  How can he be tired?  They both slept the entire time, leaving me bored for twelve hours.  They’ll make it up to me later, I’ll be sure of that. 

As I hoped, we were one of the first set of people off the plane and had our bags before anyone else even though customs was a brat.  Just as we left baggage claim Jisu spotted Hye standing with Hyun and my brothers and darted over to her, dropping his bags when he reached her and picked her up, spinning her around.  I am not jealous.  I am not jealous.  I am jealous and I hate it.  My brothers practically tackled me to the ground yelling loudly about how they missed me and we needed to go celebrate.  Which turned into everyone wanting to go to karaoke.  Who wants to go anywhere when you just got off a twelve-hour plane ride?  I want to sleep. 

My pleas were on deaf ears and after getting all our luggage into the two cars, Richard decided we would go to a karaoke bar not too far from out apartment.  Maybe I can just sneak away when no one is looking and sleep the rest of the night.  Yes that’ll be good.  But first, a quick nap.

 

~~~~~~

 

“Celine…Celine….Celine wake up.”  Someone shook my shoulder and I tried to swat them away but I failed, too tired to put any effort into it.  “Come on open your eyes.”  I grumbled incoherently hoping that whoever this was would give up.  “Fine then,” I thought they left but there was a crinkling of paper and he cleared his throat, “I hate the way you smile so easily and infectiously that I turn to jelly.  I hate how you can be so dorky but so attractive at the same time.  And,” Oh dear god.  I shot up and snatched the paper away from Dongrim. 

“Get out of my room!”  I practically squeaked and curled into a ball hoping that my bed would eat me and save me from this embarrassment. 

“Nope!  We’re going to Lotte World like you promised and you’re explaining this letter to me after I’ve made you ride every single ride and stuffed you with cotton candy.”  He tried to pry my legs away from my stomach without much success. 

“What needs to be explained?  It’s pretty clear what I said!  And it’s too early go away!”  I whined hoping that if I was loud enough one of my brothers would come in and tell Dongrim to get out.  But I feel like they’re the ones that had this idea in the first place and are trying to ruin my life.  I hate them. 

“It’s nearly one in the afternoon and there is a lot that needs to be explained so-”  He cut himself off and I could practically feel the smile he had on his lips.  Suddenly my bed dipped down from his weight and he grabbed my waist pulling me close to him.  “I’ll just stay like this until you change your mind then.”

It took about a minute for me to realize that he was serious.  And another for me to get my legs to corporate.  But as soon as I could feel my legs again I practically tossed Dongrim off the bed and yelled, “What are we waiting for?”  As I ran to the bathroom.  Once I realized I wouldn’t be able to hide in the bathroom I changed and let him drag me to Lotte World.  Expect there were no hyungs for us to meet up with.  Just me and Dongrim.  Lord help me.   

Surprisingly, walking through the market together wasn’t too terribly awkward.  We talked about the trip for a while, mostly about Daniel and Jisu.  And he was kind enough to not ask me about that stupid letter again.  Never ever writing hang over letters again they just create a terrible mess of things.  Grandma your advice was terrible. 

Just when we were about to exit the market area Dongrim took my hand and dragged me over to one of the last stores on the left.  Which, to my horror, was nothing but headbands and other cutesy things.  “I am not wearing one of those,” I snapped while pointing to an especially frilly headband with a crown and ears on top. 

“Of course not,” He chuckled and dragged me further into the shop.  “We’re wearing something much better.”  He stopped right in front of a stack of headbands with dog-ears and he grabbed two, one white and one black.  I couldn’t even protest before he put it on my head and grinned, “Why be a princess when you can be a dog.  Their life is so much easier.”  He laughed a little and put on the white headband. 

“Dongrim I don’t want to wear a headband,” I whined hoping that the pout that was always effective with my brothers, Daniel and Jisu would work on him.

Apparently not.  He shook his head and grabbed my hand, leading me to the counter.  “You’re small I might lose you in the crowd and if I do now I can just identify you by your ears.”  He grinned again and reached out with his free hand to play with one of the ears.  I opened my mouth to protest again but he cut me off, “You keep asking about it I’ll get a marker and draw whiskers on your face and make the tip of your nose black.”

That shut me up until we reached the owner of the shop who smiled politely and took the tags off for us.  I’ll just pretend I didn’t see his surprised look when he looked over at me.  “You really would do that wouldn’t you?”  He nodded and held up a pen from the vendor’s table, I stepped back a bit, “Alright, alright I’ll wear it.”

“Good, now,” He placed the black one on my head again and grabbed my hand, “We have to ride the Viking now!” 

“What?!”

He didn’t respond, just dragged me out the store and ran to the Viking with me in tow.  All my protests fell on deaf ears and all attempts to pry my hand away from his were unsuccessful.  His continued assurance that the ride would be fun did not help at all.  And he wanted to ride all the way in the back.  I think I’m going to be sick.  When the ride started, without even thinking I clung to his arm and closed my eyes, ignoring his laughter, and screamed every time the boat went back down.  I hate the Viking.  I hate the Viking.  But damn it Dongrim smells good. 

I thought after The Viking he would give me a second to compose myself.  Nope.  It felt like I couldn’t even breath before he was dragging me to a rollercoaster.  This one I didn’t protest to, it was actually one of my favorite rides in the park.  Three rollercoasters, a merry go round, and bumper cars later I was dizzy but happy, so much so I didn’t even care about the silly headbands anymore.  Or when Dongrim half demanded a picture together when he came back with an ice cream cone for each of us. 

“So,” He began once I started to practically inhale the ice cream, “when did you write the letter.”

For some reason the question didn’t bother me, maybe I was still dizzy from all the rides?  Or he knew I didn’t want to run away and risk dropping the ice cream.  Oh he’s good.  “I was hung over and it was grandmother’s advice,” I replied between .  “I never intended for you to read it or find out about my feelings at all especially since you never shut up about Hana.” I paused and took a rather large bite of the ice cream, “I guess a math book is a bad place to hide things.”

He laughed and once again I was taken aback with the realization that I loved his laugh even more than when I left for France.  I never realized I could miss a laugh.  “You’re so cute when you’re jealous,” He remarked still chuckling and tapped my nose.

Jealous?!  That’s what this was about?  “You only talked about Hana to make me jealous?!”  I snapped kicking at his ankle lightly.  “If this wasn’t so good I would shove it in your face.  I hate you, you’re completely unfair!”

“First,” He placed a finger to my lips, “Yes and no.  Yes I wanted to make you jealous I hoped that would work.  But no, I didn’t use Hana she’s actually a close friend and we both have no intention of dating ever.  However,” he paused and narrowed his eyes a bit, “you want to talk about someone who is unfair let’s talk about you.”  To my surprise his tone of voice wasn’t angry just exasperated.  “You know how difficult it is to want someone who despite all your signals completely ignores you.  And doesn’t talk to you for two months so you want to rip your hair out?” He rolled his eyes and ate a bit of his ice cream and I felt guilt claw at me along with fear.  What if he had actually moved on like I tried so desperately to do?  “If it wasn’t for Jisu and Daniel ratting you out I would have given up and actually tried to date someone else.”

Despite myself I couldn’t help but laughed, “They probably told you what a mess I was right?  Daniel especially.  That probably told you all about how I ranted to him about how I hated relationships but you’re a-”

“Stupid dork that ruined everything with your smile?  Yeah Daniel is a complete tattle-tell,” He rolled his eyes and munched on his ice cream cone afterwards. 

I wasn’t even going to worry about Daniel for right now.  He could be dealt with later.  Right now I had a million more important things on my mind.  “I didn’t mean to lead you on you know I was just unreasonably scared and I realize that now.  But don’t give up on me okay?”  I turned to him, trying to catch his eye.  “If we start dating I’m still going to be loud, obnoxious, irrationally jealous, have a hard time expressing myself and a ton of other things that will drive you absolutely insane.” 

I wasn’t really sure what to expect but I don’t think I quite expected for the reaction he gave.  He laughed whole heartedly and wrapped one arm around my shoulder, pulling me closer.  “So basically everything I like about you and more?  Sounds fun.”

“Are you sure you’re not running a fever?”

“Are you sure you want to leave yourself open for such a cheesy line?”

“Point taken.”  We sat in silence and finished out ice cream.  The area was getting more crowded as dinner time got closer and closer and I scooted a bit closer to Dongrim.  “So what now?”  I hope he didn’t hear the nervousness in my voice.

“Now we go ride the bumper cars again then maybe the Ferris wheel so I can say cheesy things because your blush is adorable,” I smacked his shoulder and he laughed, “then we can do whatever until the fireworks start.”  I smacked his shoulder again and gave him a pointed look.  He knew exactly what I was talking about the idiot.  “Oh that,” He spoke with a grin and leaned closer to me, his grin widened at my blush and I shifted uncomfortably.  “Would you like me to say it Ms. Fournier?”

“It’d be nice,” I mumbled unable to shake the sudden shyness I felt.  He chuckled and before I could snap at him that he was annoying, he kissed me.  I never really paid much attention to those that said the good things come to those who wait; it is super cheesy and somewhat annoying to me.  But damn.  His lips were as soft as they looked, as he was a better kisser than I imagined.  That thought honestly made me giggle and I felt him start to pull away but I kissed him harder and grabbed his shirt wanting this to last as long as possible.  I’d waited way too long for it.  Just as I wrapped an arm around his waist he pulled back and I couldn’t keep the pout off my lips. 

“If you can catch me,” He mumbled with a smile and lightly bumped his forehead against mine before darted away from my now loose grip on his shirt and waist. 

Dongrim was almost out of sight before my brain finally caught on to what he meant.  Growling I darted after him shouting, “Lee Dongrim when I catch you you’re dead if you don’t say it!”  I couldn’t see him very well but his laugh acted as a trail right to the bumper cars.”  I wouldn’t actually kill him though, I thought with a grin, unless you can have death by kisses.  Even if he didn’t say it that was fine as long as I knew and he knew that he was finally mine.