Day Twenty

Right place, wrong time

 

I hate waiting more than anything.  More than my little brothers waking me up at seven, to go to the park and I really hate that.  So, when we were told that our grades would be available online at seven pm I thought I was going to go nuts.  It was now seven thirty and I was certain that my head would explode.  Dongrim decided to follow me home after school declaring that if we got an A we should go celebrate.  That was two hours ago.  He was lounging on my bed going through my album collection.  As long as he wasn’t teasing me about my UKISS posters I was happy.

“How is it that that you like UKISS the most but only have Infinite albums signed?” 

Scratch that I’m annoyed now.  I snorted and stopped my pacing in front of my computer, refreshing the page again.  “Because I have their posters signed.”  I waved my hand towards the wall, keeping my eyes trained on the computer screen as the page loaded.

“But don’t they sign albums at fan meets?”

There is no way that I am admitting I have only ever been to one fan meeting, no way.  “Don’t you talk too much?” 

I didn’t have to look to know he was grinning from ear to ear.  “Well actually-” When the page finally loaded and the grade sheet was posted my scream cut him off.  He didn’t even have to ask what was going on and hopped off the bed, moving to my left.  “What’s it say?”  He tried to nudge me out of the way to get a better view but I refused to move as I scanned the page. 

“Stop pushing and I’ll tell you.”

He snorted and moved behind me trying to see that way, “I’m not pushing just tell me.”  I was going to tell him but the second that I saw the ninety-one on the column next to our group number all I could do was squeal and jump around.  It took him a few seconds to catch on before he started laughing and grabbed my hands trying to get me to stop jumping.  “Alright, alright,” he said through his laughter, “how should we celebrate?” 

I stopped jumping around but couldn’t wipe the grin off my face, “We should go get ice cream!  Oh and we should go get cake too.”

If I wasn’t so happy that smile would be really annoying.  “Both?”

He really shouldn’t sound so surprised.  “It’s a celebration isn’t it?”  I tried to sound offended but I was still too excited, this was probably going to be the best grade that I received all semester.  “And you should pay too.”  I added with a grin. 

“Why should I do that?”

“Because I edited the video, remember?”

“You’re going to hang that over my head forever, aren’t you?”

“Yes.” 

He looked like he was about to say something in protest but decided against it and shrugged again.  “Alright cake and ice cream it is.  Just don’t put too big of a hole in my wallet?”  He held up his pinky. 

With a snort, I linked my pinky with his briefly.  “You’re the one with expensive tastes not me.”  Before he could reply, I grabbed his wrist and dragged towards the door, yelling that we would be back later. 

It wasn’t until we were about a block from my apartment building that I realized the closest cake and ice cream shop was a seven minute walk, in the other direction, and it’s still kind of cold outside.  Great.  Laughing nervously I turned, trying not to grumble when the wind picked up.  “Maybe coffee is a better idea, it’s a bit cold.” 

“No way, you drink it way too much anyway; don’t you know coffee stunts your growth?”

“Pft clearly it hasn’t stunted some people’s growth.”

He chuckled and poked my side, “Oh so that’s why you only have Infinite’s albums signed?  You secretly like Sungyeol more than Kevin?”

Without thinking, I swatted at him several times, missing each with each swing.  “How does that even relate?  I was talking about my brother idiot.  Don’t drag my ultimate bias into this.”

And there was that stupid grin again.  “An ultimate bias is really a thing?”

How has he not heard that term before?  Or is he just trying to bug me again?  “Do you not have any girl friends?”

His didn’t stop grinning and shrugged, “Yeah I have a few but none that talk about their ultimate biases in front of me.” 

I grumbled a few things about his friends being weird but for the rest of the walk neither one of us said a word.  I had given up trying to figure out why he randomly stops talking, any time I asked he left me more confused.  Besides, not having to talk sometimes was nice. 

When we got out ice cream and took a spot in the back of the shop and he hadn’t spoken yet I almost asked him what was wrong.  Just as I opened my mouth he spoke, “Celine, do you like Daniel?”  Okay.  Was not expecting that.

My spoon dropped into my bowl and I stared at him in shock. “You’re joking right?”  I managed to squeak out after I found my voice again.  When he shook his head I wasn’t sure if I should laugh or find a way to run away.  “Seriously?  Me and Daniel?  What…why-how?”

“So is that a yes?”

“No!” I covered my mouth glanced around to see if anyone was paying attention before I continued in a harsh whisper,  “That’s a no.”

“Really?  Then why-nevermind.”  He wasn’t the first one to say that to me but he was the first one that made it hurt so much.  And that wasn’t a blush I saw on his face, it wasn’t okay. 

Coughing I stirred my Sunday and glared at the soupy mess, “A lot of people say that but me and Daniel…that wouldn’t work.”  I didn’t want to talk to Dongrim about this at all, but I feel like he’ll find a way to get it out of me.  He usually does.

“Is this another thing that you don’t want to talk about from first year that I can’t get anyone to talk about?”

Oh, god, he asked other people?  “Anyone?”

He shrugged and took a bite of his ice cream, seemingly unconcerned.  “Yeah I asked Jisu and he said that you’ll tell me eventually.  I don’t really believe him though.  But what can be so bad about first year?” 

Oh I don’t know, having your best friend’s girlfriend steal your boyfriend?  But, I’m not bitter, I just want to punch her in the face.  Okay maybe I am still bitter.  Maybe if I just steer him from the first year conversation he won’t ask again.  “Well I did like Daniel for a while in middle school,” which was true, “but I got over that awkward phase pretty quickly.”  Also true. 

“Are you sure?”  Why did he care so much anyway?

Snorting I pointed my spoon at him, “Finish your ice cream before you say more stupid things or I’m making you buy even more cake.”  He was silent for a few moments and I smirked a bit, leaning forward to poke his shoulder.  “Are you trying to hook up with one of my best friends Lee Dongrim?”

He paused and stirred his ice cream once again, “Never said that.”

“Alright, sure whatever you say.  Do you even have a love life?”  Okay, I’m not curious.  I’m not.

“Ehh I’m not too worried about it I’ll get her eventually.”  I never thought that arm spasms actually happened.  I’ve see it in dramas and other shows but didn’t believe it a natural reaction until my spoon slid across my bowl, flicking chocolate sauce on Dongrim and bits of half melted ice cream on the table.  I hate everything.

 

~~~~~

 

After resisting the urge to chocolate sauce off his face and suffering through eating cake, I was back in the safety of my room. I knew hormones were deadly, but damn I thought I was going insane.  Someone eating cake wasn’t supposed to be attractive.  Not that any of that mattered he thought that I liked Daniel which put me squarely in the friend’s zone.  Why would he even think that?  Or was I sneakier than I thought I was with my droo-erm observing of Dongrim.  Without thinking, I dialed Daniel’s number, not too surprised when I got his voicemail.  “Hey best friend you’re a bum for not picking up your phone oh and Dongrim is convinced that I want to vile things to you please convince him otherwise, that would be great.  Okay bye.”

Even if Daniel was able to convince him otherwise that didn’t change the fact Dongrim had his eyes on someone else.  How did that even escape my notice?  I know he can be secretive but come on wouldn’t he want help from another girl?  Isn’t that what all guys do?  Okay, I watch too much television.  Actually, it’s good he hasn’t because I already want to punch this girl in the face.  Watch her be flawless so I can’t even hate her properly.  I heard my Richard call out for a Call of Duty match but I ignored him.  Tonight I didn’t want to shoot until my aggression disappeared, tonight I needed to wallow a little bit, regaining composure could wait.  And the blankets I had wrapped myself in were so comfortably toasty.  Everyone deserves it every once in a while.