Day Eight

Right place, wrong time

 

I wish I could say things got easier after the first meeting.  They didn’t.  In an attempt to not pay attention to him I took the façade of a perfect student, diligently taking notes and answering the teacher’s questions.  I wish I could say that stopped Dongrim from bothering me.  Every chance he got he would tease me when he noticed I was dozing off, or if my notes had turned into song lyrics. 

And don’t even get me started on how mad I am that him and Jisu were practically connected at the hip now.  How does that even work?  How can Jisu get along with him when he knows I want to do nothing more than punch the new boy in the face?  Okay that sounds vicious I don’t want to punch him actually I-

He muttered an excuse me, as he had to lean down near my desk to pick up the pencil he dropped.  Immediately his boyish scent of pine and cinnamon assaulted me and I sighed.  I didn’t want to punch him.  I wanted to kiss him.  Or cuddle with him on the couch that would be nice too.  Eating food off his body would also be enco-okay nope stop that.    

What was so likeable about him anyway?  Besides the fact that he can dance and he’s funny and-

“You know where studying the French Revolution right now right?”

And completely annoying. 

“Of course.”  I snorted and looked out the window refusing to admit I was only half listening to what the teacher was saying.  My relatives had been preaching about that Revolution since the second I was born I didn’t need to pay attention anyway. 

“Then why do you still have your math notes open?”  I could just hear the smirk in his voice as I glanced down at my book and a dark blush rose to my cheeks.  Why is he so observant? 

“Why are you looking at my notebook Dongrim?”  I hissed and almost smirked in satisfaction when I saw him pout out of the corner of my eye.  He hated that I was the only one that called him that and I loved how it made him squirm.  Oh god I think I’m going crazy.

He whispered back, “Fine don’t thank me.”  I’ve got to hand it to the boy he recovers quickly. 

Trying to keep as quite as possible, I closed my math notebook and opened my history,  “For what?”

“For keeping you from looking like an idiot.”  Of course, he would respond like that in a bored tone.  Of course. 

“You’re the idiot.”

“How’s that?”  Why did he sound so amused now? 

“For talking to me.”  I grumbled darkly.  I want to get through the twenty-three days with relative ease.  Is that too much to ask?  Okay, maybe just the next few lessons, can I get through those please?

“So I’m an idiot for talking to a pretty girl?” 

I do not know what’s more embarrassing, the inhuman squeak that came out of my mouth, or the scarlet blush that covered my face.  Someone could cook at egg on my forehead right now.  The teacher looked at me as if I had grown a third head and I blurted out the first thing that came to mind, “Sir, can I use the restroom?”  I suppose he took my beet red face as having a ‘female problem’ and quickly dismissed me.   

Ignoring his snickering I bolted from the class.  After making sure no one was in the bathroom, I kicked the door of the nearest stall and let out a frustrated yell.  How dare he try to be sweet!  How can he call me pretty and then annoy the hell out of me?  What is he trying to do to me?  And why isn’t this month up yet?

Sighing heavily, I turned towards the mirror and lazily tried to fix my hair.  “Come on, it’s just twenty-three days.  You successfully ignored your brothers for two months this is not that different.  It’s not like you have to talk to him!”  I was actually starting to feel a little better when a girl that had to be just a first year walked in.  She jumped back in shock and stared at my wide-eyed and mouth hanging open. 

We had a staring contest before I blurted out, “I’m sorry,” and darted from the bathroom before I could further embarrass myself.  But, I suppose leaving like that could be considered embarrassing as well.  Whatever.

I hoped to slip into class unnoticed.  But then again, nothing seems to go my way today, “Ah, just in time Ms. Fournier,” at least he finally has my name right, “you’ll be partnered with Mr. Lee there for the history project the assignments on your desk.”  There were three ‘Mr. Lee’s’ in our class but the second he gestured to my-I mean him I wanted to scream.  So much for not having to talk to him.

With a slight bow, I slid into my seat and snatched the paper off his desk, skimming the assignment briefly.  Charlotte Corday huh?  Does that mean I get to stab him in a bathtub?  “Look forward to working with you partner.”  Yes, I am stabbing him in the bathtub. 

After that, he didn’t try and make conversation.  I guess he finally figured out I was not in the mood.  On the other hand, our teacher turning back to check on us every few minutes probably deterred him.  Either way I was thankful and when the bell for lunch rang I didn’t bother rushing, instead I packed as slowly as possible hoping he would leave. 

He didn’t.

Well, that’s not true, he did leave the room but he decided to stand outside the door until I came out.  Someone shoot me please.       

“So do you want to start working on it tonight?  If so, can we work at your place?  Mine is kind of a dump right now.” He actually sounded excited.  But that could just my mind playing tricks on me.

“Well I-I-I um I’m busy tonight actually.”  God damn it Celine pull yourself together, it is not a big deal you are not interested in him, stop stuttering. 

“Fine, tomorrow then?”  He did not sound disappointed, I swear it is all in my head. 

“Um…oh look there’s Jisu!”  Without giving him a chance to respond, I ran over to Jisu who was walking with Hye and dragged him away shouting an apology at Hye.  I was grateful that Jisu didn’t even bother asking what was going on.  He had learned over the years to wait until we reached whatever destination I decided on to ask questions.  Today it was the roof. 

He was silent for a minute as he leaned against the door rubbing his shoulder.  “You want to explain to me why I’m not in the lunch line or will I have to guess?”

“Dongrim is my partner for my history project and he wants to come over to my house.”  Now that I said it to someone else, I realized how ridiculous I sounded but he was my best friend he wasn’t going to judge me. 

“So?”  The smile on his face was unmistakable; he was going to tease me until the end of time for thisSo much for not judging me. 

“So, he talks too much and annoys me and I may or may not want to take advantage of him in every way possible but I want new shoes in France and I actually like being single now!”  Okay that last part was a lie but I was still avoiding all thoughts of why I still hated being single.  I took his shoulders and shook him lightly, “Smack me out of this Jisu.  Talk me down, you’re my best friend, help me!”

He laughed and placed his hands over mine, gently pulling my hands away from his shoulders.  “Stop worrying about it.  The reason you’re confused is because you can’t flirt with him right now.  So treat him like Daniel, Hyun, or me, people you don’t want to flirt with.  Besides soon enough the rest of us will put you squarely in the friends zone, you have nothing to fear.” 

I wasn’t even sure if I wanted to be in the friends zone.  The friends’ zone is stupid anyway.  What in the world is wrong with me?  “Yeah I guess you’re right.”

“Of course,” he grinned innocently and patted my shoulder, “I’m going to go get some lunch I’ll see you down there soon?”  I nodded but I think we both knew I wasn’t going to come down for lunch today.  He smiled one more time before leaving and I took my regular spot next to the small garden that the student council made my first year.  The roof probably wasn’t the best place to think though.  Too many memories. 

 

~~~~~

 

The café, Corbeau is one of the few places that is mine.  Only one other person knew about this place and I was determined to keep it that way.  This was the closest place I could get to French pastries here without having to make them myself.   Plus the owner was probably the sweetest person ever.  So I guess there was no surprise when I opted out of the afternoon ritual of ice cream with Daniel and Jisu and headed here.  I’d probably hide here until closing time.

A cup of coffee and three crepes later I wasn’t so annoyed with the project.  And another half cup of coffee I almost wanted to talk to him.  Almost.  If I had known that absent-minded wish would be granted, I probably never would have thought about it.  But, sure enough, right as I was about to finish my coffee in walks Dongrim, greeting the boy at the counter easily and ordered a vanilla Frappuccino.  Guilt washed over me and I pushed myself into the corner hoping that he wouldn’t notice that I was here.  Considering we were the only people in here I doubted I would be successful.  How did he even find this place?  Is nothing sacred anymore?    

Okay stare at the coffee, act as if he is not here, if you don’t see him he can’t see you.  Oh god, what am I five?  When I heard the chair in front of me scrape the floor, I held my breath waiting for some sort of reprimanding.  “Is this seat taken?”   

What?  Looking up I saw him smiling down at me with his drink in hand and his other hand on top of the chair.  “Go ahead.”  I mumbled knowing that mentioning there were other chairs wouldn’t matter to him. 

He was still smiling as he took my reluctant invitation and sipped on his drink.  “I see you’re pretty busy.”

Again, the guilt clawed at me.  But I refused to let said guilt show too much and tried to seem as nonchalant as possible, I’m sure I’m failing.  Jisu has told me a thousand times my poker face is worse than his, and that is just sad.  “Okay you caught me; working on school work on Friday is not my idea of a good time.”

Dongrim’s lips curved into a playful smile, “Aw, I can’t entertain you?” 

Without thinking, I stuck my tongue out but his smile didn’t disappear.  “You wouldn’t be entertaining we’d be working on our project.  Which by the way do you know anything about Charlotte Corday?”

He shrugged nonchalantly and stirred his drink.  “She killed that journalist guy, Marat.”

I know I should not even bother, even if he knew all there was to know he wouldn’t tell me.  “Yeah in the bathtub but do you know anything else about it like why she did it?  We kind of need to know where to start.”

“Didn’t you say something about not doing school work?”

Yes, but I am trying to get you to go away, is it working?  “Well yes but-”

He smiled wider and leaned forward a bit, placing his elbow on the table and resting his chin on his palm.  “You’re not going to stab me in the bathtub right?”

I was thinking about it do not push me Busan boy even if your accent is attractive.

Coughing a little, I took a sip of my drink and sighed, “No, why would I do that?”

He cocked his head to the side and almost sung, “I don’t believe you.”

Grumbling a little, I sipped on my now cold drink and looked around.  No one else had walked in since he arrived and suddenly, I was reminded of my invasion of privacy.  “What are you even doing here Dongrim?”

His mouth hung open in shock for a little bit, I guess I spoke harsher than I thought I had.  “What?”

“What are you doing here this is Ji—my café, my secret spot, and you’ve discovered my secret for that I must punish you in some way.”  I bit the inside of my cheek trying to stop myself from mentioning things Dongrim didn’t need to know again.  I blame being on the roof today it does evil things to my brain.

Dongrim shrugged, “I don’t know I was just walking around and I found it.  Seemed kind of cozy so I decided to try it that’s all.”  He paused and a smirk turned up his lips and he leaned forward a bit more.  “I’m not stalking you if that’s what you think.”

How did he even come to that conclusion?  Snorting loudly, I pushed his forehead with my pointer finger and leaned back.  “No, if you were stalking me you would have had to be standing out there for almost two hours before you came in.”

“You’ve been here for two hours?”  Why in the world does he sound so surprised?  People can sit in cafés for hours, what makes me so special? 

Raising a brow, I finished my drink and shrugged, “Yeah.”

He looked at me disapprovingly and crossed his arms over his chest.  “By yourself?  What about Daniel or Jisu?”

Does he not listen?  I poked my coffee cup and drawled, “I did say that this was my secret place right?”

He pouted, crossed and uncrossed his arms twice.  “Well this just isn’t acceptable.”  Then he suddenly stood up and marched over to the counter.  For a second I contemplated trying to find a place to hide but then I realized how ridiculous that was, even if he was acting weird.  About a minute later, suddenly he grabbed me by the elbow and pulled me up.  “Let’s go!” 

“What?” I tried to pull him back but he is a lot stronger than he looks or I’m not as strong as I give myself credit for.  “I didn’t pay!”  I tried to reason with him as I glanced back to see no one at the counter to come to my aid. 

He just smiled and for a second I completely forgot the angry rant that I was hurling at him in my head.  “I did.”

I couldn’t respond at first.  I mean I should have expected it when he got up like that but I didn’t think he would actually do it.  “Wha-where are we going?  And w-wait just a minute I have my own money thank you!”   

He laughed and turned down a street that I wasn’t too familiar with.  “We’re going to a place to have fun and yes you have money but then I would never get you to leave.”

“Why should I leave?”

Scoffing he stopped abruptly and turned to me, giving another one of those sweet smiles before explaining,  “To have fun,” his hand let go of my elbow but before I could move away he laced his fingers with mine, “now come on.”  Fighting down the blush creeping up my neck I let him drag me towards whatever he deemed as fun.  Why couldn’t I just hide in the café?  What was so bad about that? 

A few minutes later Dongrim stopped moving and I bumped into him well more like slammed and I don’t think I can feel my nose.  He has a nice back though.  “Okay having my nose smashed in isn’t fun.”  I grumbled and used my free hand to rub my pained nose. 

“No it’s not and neither is getting run into.  But,” I could practically hear the grin in his voice, “shooting zombies is.” 

Shooting zombies?  Peering out from behind him I saw the flashing lights of the arcade and chortled, “This is why you dragged me out of my comfy chair?”  Sure I went to the arcade sometimes with Daniel and Jisu but that was ages ago.  Actually now that I thought about it even when they play video games at the apartment I don’t play anymore.

He sighed and turned to me an angry glint in his eyes.  “Are you seriously going to sit around depressed in a café or are you going to have some fun?” 

I huffed and blew some strands of hair out of my eyes, “Sitting in that café is fun to me.”  Well fun wasn’t exactly it but that café was the best place for me to think. 

The anger in his eyes dimmed slightly and I wonder if he saw something in my expression that bothered him or if I was just overthinking things.  “Well it’s not living.  Come on.”  It was only when he moved forward that I realized that his hands were still laced with mine and it was nice.  Crap.