The deal

Right place, wrong time

 

I have decided that boys are the stupidest creatures ever.  What does “we’re too similar” even mean?  And he doesn’t know anything about me either! Does he know that I am ambidextrous? Or that I only like one side of the popcorn salted? How about that I am an idiot when it comes to computers, while he is a freaking genius? No, no, he does not and he never will because he is a jerk. I hope that he gets his leg chewed off by some rabid dog or maybe a scurry of squirrels.

“Hey! Celine, wait up!” 

Turning, I saw Jisu running after me with his papers clutched to his chest and a blanket tied around his neck. Yeah, he definitely overslept. “Hurry up or we’ll be late!” Not entirely true, there was still nearly forty-five minutes until class started but I like getting to class early, especially on the first day of the semester. Granted it was the second semester but it might as well be new, the school decided to change up what class we were in so we could ‘mingle’. As if we did not know each other already. He skidded to a stop a few feet from me and flashed that innocent grin of his. 

“Sorry, I overslept but you could have woken me up what kind of best friend are you?” He pouted while pulling his bag off his shoulder and shoving his papers inside. 

Rolling my eyes, I untied the blanket from his neck and tucked it under my arm. “I’m a wonderful best friend.”

He stared at me strangely for a few seconds before pointing an accusing finger at me. “You’re mad about something aren’t you?”

I glared at his bony finger and then at him, “Get your finger out of my face before I bite it off.”

If I had said that to anyone else, they would have moved their hand away. However, Jisu was not scared of me anymore. He is too comfortable with me to be scared. “Tell me what’s wrong and I will.” 

Scoffing I shoved his hand away and turned, not waiting for him as I moved quickly to school.  Just a few minutes then I could get my schedule and hide from him.  Jisu easily caught up with me though, darn those long legs of his, and I did not really have the energy to try to walk faster.  “Am I going to have to guess what’s wrong with you then?”  I didn’t even bother answering him.  “Fine hmmm did your mom eat the last of the ice cream? No?  Your dad took away your UKISS collection?”  Please, my dad is not that evil.  He asked about my dramas, if my new CD had come on yet and a few others I drowned out after a while.  I thought that once we got to school and our class number he would stop.  Apparently not.  “Can you give me a hint?  Please?” 

“There you guys are!”  Turning I nearly ran into the classroom we were next to, Daniel was running towards us a grin on his face.  Honestly, I am surprised he was here already.  He skidded to a stop in front of us and smoothed out his jacket.  “Why didn’t you wait for me at the gate like you said you were going to?”  He pouted and looked between us waiting for an “I’m sorry Daniel” or “Oh my I’m so sorry wonderful Daniel how can you ever forgive us for our impertinence.”  If I was in a better mood I probably would have said something like that.  I guess Daniel caught onto my foul mood quickly.  “Bad date last night?”  Without even thinking, I smacked his arm as hard as I could.  “Yup definitely bad date last night.”

Jisu huffed a little now that he knew what my problem was.  “What she had a date last night?”

Daniel raised a brow at him and snorted, “You didn’t know?”

Jisu’s confused face is probably one of the most adorable things in this entire world.  Sometimes I swear if the boy was not my best friend and like an annoying brother, I would date him in a heartbeat.  “With who?  Taehyuk?”

I tried to interject but Daniel waved his hand dismissively and spoke before I had a chance, “No that was the guy that she liked last summer. 

Jisu snapped his fingers and gave a short ‘ah ha’ before turning and pointing to me.  “Oh right so that SeungWon guy then?”

Again, before I could answer Daniel beat me to it.  “Yeah him I liked him better than the last one but he’s still an idiot.”

Times like these I wanted to crawl into a hole and die.  I swear I really do not go on dates that often but if I see someone I like I am not going to pass up the chance.  Okay that does sound bad.  “You guys make it sound like I get around a lot.”

Daniel and Jisu sheepishly smiled and this time Jisu spoke, “It’s not like that it’s just ever since-” Daniel elbowed him but I already knew what he was going to say.  “It’s just that, ever since first year you’ve been on a date at least once a week.  I don’t remember a time after um…well I don’t remember the last time you were just single and okay with it.”

I raised a brow at the taller boy who was now smiling innocently in an attempt to diffuse the anger that was bubbling to the surface.  This was not a good day to bring this up for me.   “And you have a problem with this I take it?

Jisu shook his head and was about to say something until Daniel stepped in front of him.  “Well yeah, when all the guys you’re dating are douche bags and then you rant and complain about it afterwards even though we warned you but then you go and do the same thing over again expecting the result to be different.” 

I figured that Daniel would rant about this someday but I was not exactly expecting it on the first day back to school.  “Gee Daniel tell me how you really feel about it.”

“I’m serious Celine; you’re my best friend but something I want to punch you for how stupid you are.”

“Says the boy who goes on more dates then I do with worse girls!  And do you listen to me?  No.”

“Why would I listen to someone who does the same stupid I do?”

“Because I-”

“Okay!  That’s enough you two.”  Jisu stepped between the two of us, pushing Daniel away a bit.  “Celine you go out with stupid guys and Daniel you go out with stupid girls.  But you’re both acting ridiculous this is the first day of class, people are staring and we have more important things to be concerned about.  Like the fact that you two get to be in the same class but I’m stuck with new people!”  He looked at both of us before stepping back and crossed his arms over his chest.

I dared to look around and sure enough, a few people that were going to class were giving us odd looks.  You would think they would not find my arguments with Daniel odd anymore.  “You’ll be fine Jisu.  As the eye smile king you’ll melt the hearts of your classmates in no time.”

He pouted and shook his head clearly annoyed.  I have to admit there are not many times that I have seen Jisu actually angry so I felt bad.  “I’m more worried that you two are going to try to kill each other while I’m not there.”

Daniel and I glanced at each other before turning back to Jisu, smiling and chimed together, “Oh come on have some faith in your best friends.”

Still, Jisu did not budge like usual and once again, a wave of guilt washed over me.  “I don’t unfortunately and if I find out you two are arguing I’ll sick Inatae hyung on you so play nice.” 

Ha that’s rich we all know that Inatae was way too sweet for that unless you really motivated him.  Even then I don’t think he would be mean for long.  “Tell this bum to take back what he said about me and dating and I’ll be nice.”  I mumbled sticking my tongue out at Daniel. 

Daniel narrowed his eyes at me and pointed an accusing finger, “How about you-”

“Alright that’s it both of you!”  Jisu stepped forward and flicked both of our foreheads.  Who would have known angel Jisu’s hands would be so painful?  “No dating, flirting, or arguing with each other for either one of you for a month or I’m not letting you come with me to France this summer.”

You have to be kidding me.  He knows I would find a way to sneak onto that trip regardless we had been planning this for so long.  “Jisu-”

“Hyung-”

“No buts or I’ll make it for the whole semester!”  That shut both of us up quick, “It is all you two ever argue about anymore and I am sick of it.  And if you keep arguing I’m locking you two in a room until you work out your issues.”

“But hyung-”

“I’m serious Daniel and don’t think I don’t have eyes and ears in the classroom too.”

I snorted and shook my head, “What Hye?  In case you forgot she’s my best friend too.”  Granted I did not even pay much attention to Hye until after her and Jisu started dating.  But she’s probably one of the sweetest girls I know and her brother Hyun is pretty cute too.  Not that I would ever date him, he is forever obsessed with his piano and I have a strict no dating old tutors policy.     

Jisu despite what I said looked confident.  “Yes but she’s my girlfriend and boyfriend trumps best friend in these matters.”

“Pft believe what you want I-” The warning bell sounded before I could even finish and everyone started running for class.   

Smiling, pleased with himself, Jisu grabbed his blanket from me and nodded towards the classroom door.  “I’ll see you guys at lunch remember I have eyes everywhere.”  With that, he turned and darted down the hall to his classroom. 

Pouting I turned to Daniel who looked just as annoyed as I was.  “He is right you know.”  Daniel just nodded and headed into the classroom.  Rolling my eyes I followed him and poked his shoulder from behind but he still did not pay attention to me.  “Fine we’ll talk later.”  There was a side to the arguing that Jisu did not know about and Daniel and I were determined to take to the grave.  Nevertheless, eventually we were going to have to talk to each other about it because, I do not know about him, but it was eating at me.  First I have to survive this month of no flirting, which I can totally do.  It won’t be hard I mean I know all the kids in the class and I can just remind myself how awkward they were when we were in middle grades. 

Scanning the desks, I found my name on the desk in the very back near the window.  Perfect.  After I took my seat, I saw that Daniel was in the second row next to a girl that had liked him last semester.  I wonder if she still does.  A few seconds later, he was completely surrounded by girls. Poor kid this month will kill him.  Hye, of course, was in the front of the classroom with two boys on either side of her both of which ignored her. Despite the greetings she gave them.  Okay I will not go into overprotective best friend mode I won’t. 

The seat next to me was still empty so I leaned over and checked the nametag, Lee Dongrim, hm, never heard of him before.  Oh well.  Humming softly to myself, I pulled out my books and pencils just in time for the teacher to come in and start calling roll. 

“Forner, Celine?”

Forner?  Really?  Why does this happen every year?  “Present and its pronounced Fournier sir.”  I said as respectfully as I could.  He smiled and nodded before writing down the phonetic pronunciation.  I guess I should not get mad; French could be a difficult language to pronounce.  I spaced out once again until he called out the kid that sits next to me name. 

“Present.”  When did he even get here?  Turning to my right I felt my jaw drop and my eyes probably looked like they were going to pop out of my head.  He looked over at me and smiled and without thinking, I smiled back before quickly turning back to the front.  Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Daniel looking at me smugly.  This was going to be a very, very long month.