The Other Man

When You Least Expect It

Sorry for the extremely long wait!!

 

Taeyeon reached the bottom of the stairs and almost tripped from her own two feet. If it wasn't for Jaejoong, who quickly reached out to steady her, then she probably would've fell right onto her face. Her body tensed from Jaejoong's hands. She quickly took a few steps away and straightened her dress. "Ready?" She asked with a shaky voice. The only answer she received was a nod.

Jaejoong took her by the hand and briskly walked towards the car waiting outside for them. He opened the door to the back seat for her and shut it once she got in before entering the car from the other side. "Let's go." He told the driver.

It took about thirty minutes to get to the gathering, and when they arrived, it was already packed with people. 

Taeyeon turned to Jaejoong. "I thought you said it starts at eight."

"It does." Jaejoong replied.

They both got out of the car and started walking up the steps that led to the house. It was definitely not as big as Jaejoong's but it was definitely big enough to take Taeyeon's breath away.

As the two of them walked inside, Taeyeon noticed an elderly couple walking there way. But they stopped to talk to another couple before reaching them. Taeyeon was shocked to hear them speak Chinese. She grabbed Jaejoong's arm and hissed at him. "You didn't tell me they were Chinese."

Jaejoong shrugged. "I didn't know I had to."

"What if I spoke Korean to them?"

A chuckle made its way out of Jaejoong's mouth. "That would've been pretty funny, but they understand Korean so it actually wouldn't be funny at all." Taeyeon glared at him but was relieved that she wouldn't have to speak in a different language. "Besides," Jaejoong started, "Their son speaks Korean too so he helps them out."

"He does?"

Jaejoong nodded. "Yeah. He came here for school." He shrugged Taeyeon's hand off his arm and turned to her. "Now go mingle."

Taeyeon was shocked that he would just shoo her away like that. She didn't know anyone at this party besides him. As she looked around the house, she saw a back door. She made her way to it and walked out while looking back at Jaejoong one last time. He was shaking hands with the elderly couple from early. Right when she turned she had bumped into a stone-like wall. In front of her was nothing but black. Her eyes travelled up and found brown eyes staring back at her. She jumped and took a step back. "I'm sorry." She apologized. She had bumped into a man with a black suit on. His undershirt was even black. The only thing that wasn't black was his silver tie. As she studied his outfit, she finally noticed the stain on his coat. She had bumped into him and made him spill his wine all over himself. "Oh no, I'm so sorry!" Her eyes were wide in horror, but when she realized that the man standing in front of her was laughing, she looked up in confusion. Shouldn't he be mad? 

"Don't worry about it." The man said with an accent. That was when Taeyeon finally realized that he must be Jaejoong's employee's son. She looked up at him at his face and saw how angelic it was. Yes, there was something that made him look kind of cold and mean, but he was still beautiful nonetheless. He had fair skin and blonde hair that made him look younger than he really was. "Kris Wu." He greeted, holding his hand out for a handshake.

Taeyeon took it right away. "Kim Taeyeon."

"Oh, so you're Jaejoong's wife." Kris asked, smiling politely at her.

Taeyeon nodded in return. "And you must be the son."

"The son of the man who threw this gathering?" asked Kris. Taeyeon nodded again. "Then yes, I am the son." They stood in silence for quite some time before Kris shuffled his feet. "Well if you'll excuse me. I have to go speak to my father." He side stepped Taeyeon and walked in through the back door. He closed it behind him, leaving Taeyeon all alone.

As she looked around, there was no one else out on the porch with her. She was relieved to be by herself. The scenery was beautiful as well. The Wu family lived by the lake, so the sound of the water moving was soothing. The soft breeze calmed Taeyeon down, making her want to go to sleep. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After what seemed like ten minutes of standing there, leaning on the rail, Taeyeon thought it was time to go back in until a glass of wine was put in front of her face. "Drink?"

She looked up and found Kris staring back at her. Her breath caught in , but she took the glass and nodded her thanks.

Kris turned to face the lake and smiled. "It's beautiful isn't it?"

"Yes, it is." Taeyeon replied.

He turned to look at her and cocked his head to the side. "Why aren't you inside?"

Taeyeon shrugged. "It's nice out here."

Kris opened his mouth to say something else, but he was interrupted by a stern voice. "Taeyeon, we're leaving." They both turned to find Jaejoong standing in the door way. His arms were down by his side but his fists were clenched. When he turned to look at Kris, his jaw tightened.

Taeyeon had no idea why he looked so angry but she was happy to be going home now. "It was nice meeting you." She said to Kris, walking towards Jaejoong but keeping her eyes on him. He smiled in return and bowed to Jaejoong before leaving. 

"Why were you with him?" Jaejoong questioned, keeping his eyes focused on the lake.

"We were talking." She answered quietly.

His head snapped in her direction. "Well I don't want you alone with him."

Before Taeyeon could ask him why, he grabbed her wrist and walked down the porch. "Where are we going?"

"Around the house."

"Why?"

"If I go back in there, then I'll be dragged into conversations that I have no intention of participating in."

They got into their car and Jaejoong told the driver to go. As they made their way back to their home, Taeyeon started dozing off. She didn't even notice her head bobbing to one side. Jaejoong blew out a breath of annoyance before scooting a few inches closer to her. He gently laid her head on his shoulder and prayed that she wouldn't drool on him.

When they reached the house, Jaejoong hesitated to wake her up. He bit his bottom lip as he thought of what to do. After a few seconds of going back and forth with the ideas of waking her up or carrying her to bed himself, he chose the latter.

He was surprised to find that she was so light. She wasn't fat or anything but she felt like a feather. 

When he reached her bed, he gently laid her down and motioned for Mrs. Lee to remove the dress and replace it with a night gown. After taking one last look at Taeyeon, Jaejoong walked out and closed the door behind him.