Chapter 3

Would You Be My Tutor

 

 

 

Days passed quickly that Junho didn’t realize it has been two months since he started tutoring So Eun. It also meant that it has been two months he spent his afternoon by waiting for So Eun in front of her school gate and went to her house together with her for their tutorial session. Of course, he could go to So Eun’s house on his own as he already knew the way and the place, but he chose not to. He volunteered himself to accompany So Eun going back from school everyday. He told her family that since So Eun’s school is not far from his campus and the route they would take to reach home was the same, it’s better if they just go home together. So Eun’s mother agreed and she was more than glad to hear it.

Even though what he told to So Eun’s parents were true, about the distance and all, he actually has other important reasons. First, he wanted to make sure that So Eun won’t get bully anymore. Whenever So Eun came out late, even for 5 minutes, he would immediately enter the school and search for her. At first, he did that simply because she’s Minjung’s sister. Who knows one day she would be his sister too so of course, he needed to help protecting her. However, as time passed by, his intention slowly changed. He no longer did that because he wanted to be hero. He no longer did that for Minjung to discover how virtuous he was. He did that because of So Eun herself. If So Eun came out from the school gate without a smile on her face, it would bother him for the whole day. He wouldn’t be able to sleep. He wouldn’t be able to eat well. He wouldn’t be able to do anthing.

‘Did she get bullied again? Did she get scolded by her teacher? Or maybe…she's period?’

Those types of question would keep haunting him for all day long.

Besides that, by accompanying So Eun going back from school everyday, he has made So Eun became more open to him. From simple greetings such as ‘Anneyonghaseyo’, ‘Kamsahamnida’ and ‘Mianhaeyo’, it slowly changed into ‘Why do you look so tired today, Oppa? Want me to make some juice for you later?’, ‘Oppa, today I’m so happy because Omma said she’s gonna buy me 2PM new album!’ things like that. So Eun has not only became more comfortable and closer with him, she has also became friendlier. Sometimes she talked more than Junho did. It’s a good thing and he likes it.

This may sound offensive but Junho didn’t find So Eun shy, naïve and innocent as her mother claimed her to be. However, at the same time, Junho didn’t think that her mother was lying. There’s no point for her mother to lie. Besides that, when he talk about So Eun with Minjung, Minjung said the same things too. He found it very weird. Why most of the things her family told contradicted with her actions? Is there any possibility that she is… a two-faced person? Did she only pretend to be nice, shy, innocent, naïve blah blah blah in front of her family but in reality she’s not like that?? But she already acted that way in front of her family since she was a kid, since whe was born. And she acted differently ONLY towards him.

Why?

Yes, big question, WHY??

Lee Junho is one of the smartest students in his university. Yes, he could solve any math questions in just twinkling of an eye. Yes, he could pass exam easily even if he didn’t attend classes for ten consecutive weeks. But whenever he tried to solve “Kim So Eun”, he became helpless. The deeper he dug, the farther he got himself trapped. He’s confused and clueless. “Kim So Eun” was indeed his hardest puzzle, his trickiest riddle. It’s like an unbreakable code. He couldn’t find any theory or formula. But no, the little Einstein didn’t want to give up. He’s going to solve this puzzle no matter what it takes.

As Junho was thinking about So Eun while waiting for her in front of her school, three boys suddenly approached him. Junho was surprised but he kept his face calm. They looked at him from head to toe. Then, they gave a cynical smirk. One of the boys took a step closer to Junho. He’s tall and good looking. Might be one of the most popular boys at the school. He smiled at Junho. But Junho could sense that it was a fake smile.

“I heard you’re studying at Seoul University?” the boy asked.

“Yes,” answered Junho shortly, still didn’t know what was going on.

Hearing Junho’s answer, the boy laughed. “So?” he asked in irritated tone.

“You think you’re good enough just because you’re from Seoul University??” he added.

Junho couldn’t help but confused with the situation.

‘What the heck. What’s wrong with this boy? He’s the one asking about my university, but he acts like I’m the one who’s showing off. And he thought he looks cool acting cocky like that? Please. It’s so 80’s...’

“What do you want from me anyway?” Asked Junho, tried to maintain his patience and politeness.

“Since you asked I’m gonna be frank with you. What’s your relationship with So Eun?”

‘So Eun? What’s her relation with this situation? My relationship with her is none of your business, cocky boy. It’s me the one who should ask what’s your relationship with her that makes you ask about this?’

No matter how much he hated that busy-body cocky boy with his what-the-heck-y question, no matter how much he wanted to know what his relationship with So Eun and what did So Eun have to do with this matter, Junho knew that it’s best to handle the matter maturely and wisely. If not, the situation may become worse and fight might occur. He absolutely didn’t want or have time for such thing.

“I’m her tutor,” replied Junho honestly, hoping the unpleasant situation would end quickly and the boys would leave soon.

“Tutor?” Those three boys cracked up in laughter as soon as they heard Junho’s answer.

“What a joke! Yah, you think we’re stupid? You think you can fool us just because we’re high school students? Which tutor gonna wait for his student at her school everyday? Which tutor gonna go back home with his student, walk together like a couple, everyday? Even kindergarten kids know it’s a boyfriend. It’s a boyfriend! Stupid son of a ! You dare to lie to me!”

‘Stupid son of a ?’

Junho has officially gotten pissed off. His anger meter rose to its critical level. He felt like punching those kids, beat them down until they beg for their life but he tried his best to restrain and cool down. He reminded himself that they’re still in high school, still immature. Talking to them was not only unworthy, but also a waste of time. He should have ignored them.

“It’s up to you whether to believe it or not. I just told you what you want to know,” said Junho shortly before walking away.

But the other two boys quickly blocked him from leaving the place.

“Isn’t it rude walking away while people have not yet finish talking? What? Your parents didn’t teach that? Your brainy professors didn’t teach moral and ethics in Seoul University? Retarded nerd!” said the boy rudely before laughing.

Junho clenched his teeth. What his parents and professors got to do with this? Who are the one who retarded now? His hand formed a fist but before he could turn around and punch them, a voice called him from a far.

“Oppa!”

Junho turned to the direction where the sound came from. So Eun was standing at the school gate, looking at them with confused face.

Before Junho could say or act anything, the cocky boy suddenly whispered to him, “Listen here, nerd. I don’t care if you’re from an elite university or not. I don’t care if you’re her tutor or her neighbor or her slave. Just stay away from So Eun. I’m warning you here. Stay away from So Eun…if you want to live longer!”

“Let’s go!” he then ordered the other two boys to leave right away.

 

 

*****

 

 

So Eun’s POV

For the first time in two months Junho Oppa and I have a quiet journey walking home. Both of us zip our mouths shut while having different thoughts on minds. I take a quick glance at Junho Oppa. He looks damn serious. I have never seen him as serious as that. Is he still thinking about those boys earlier? What did the boys said to him that made him as moody as this? Ah, I’m so worried.

Whatever it is, I have to cheer him up and brighten up the atmosphere. I don’t like seeing his serious face.

“Oppa,  let’s have some skewered fish cake before we reach home. I know a very good place,” I say.

But Junho Oppa doesn’t seem interested.

“So Eun-ah.” He calls my name.

He stops walking and looks directly at me. “The boys just now…who are they?”

I knew it. I knew that Junho Oppa gonna ask about those boys. Oppa, I really want to tell you but I can’t. I don’t want to put you in trouble, Oppa. Mianhae.

“Don’t worry about them. They are my schoolmates,” I give a safe answer.

Before he could ask again, quickly I distract him from the topic.

“Now, let’s go to the-”

“I’m worried about them because I’m worried about you. Who are they? They don’t seem like good students. Do they disturb you at school? Are they…your friends? You make friend with that kind of students?” Junho Oppa cut my sentence.

He can’t get over the matter easily. It really bothers his mind. He even starts to become suspicious of me. I can’t talk about it. I have to keep it as secret. I don’t know what to do. I really want to avoid the topic. Aish, why did the boys approach him? If that didn’t happen, I would not be having hard time with Junho Oppa like this.

“No, Oppa. I’m okay. Don’t worry about them, okay?” I convinced him.

Junho Oppa doesn’t say anything. He keeps staring at me. I take his silent as a chance to bring up about the skewered fish cake thingy again and distract him.

“Let’s go get some skewered fish cake now, Oppa. I really wa-”

“Kim So Eun!”

This time, not only he cut me off, but he yelled at me. I was shocked. But I don’t blame him. I can see that he’s frustrated and has lost his patience on how I keep avoiding the topic. If I were him, I would feelt irritated too.

“I’m serious about this, okay? Don’t try to change topic. I hate it and I hate how you’re acting right now,” said Junho Oppa, very straight forward.

Junho Oppa then dragged me to a hidden corner at the road. He makes sure nobody is around before asking, “Tell me now, what is this all about?”

He crosses his arm and waits for my answer. His fix his sight right onto my face.

I swear to God I don’t know what I should do. I already kept this matter as a secret for almost half of a year. I’m not ready to unveil it. I don’t think it’s the time yet. It’s not because I’m afraid or have dirty hidden agenda or anything, I just want to handle this matter by myself. If Junho Oppa knows about this, he will definitely tell my parents and my sister. I don’t want that.

I shut my mouth and look down at the ground. As I said before, I’m not ready to tell Junho Oppa or anyone about this. I just hope Junho Oppa will just get over it and we can go home as fast as possible. I thought by keeping silence Junho Oppa will just let this matter be, but I was wrong. Completely wrong. Instead, things become worse.

“I pity your family a lot,” he says suddenly.

Wrinkles formed on my forehead. What does he mean he pity my family?

“All these years they see you as a nice daughter. They see you as a shy naïve innocent girl who never talks to boys and never date. But behind their backs, you got a thug leader telling other people to stay away from you. Wow…”

Oh. My. God. What is he talking about? He has misunderstood me. Oppa, you have thought wrongly!

“Aniyo-” I tried to defend myself.

However Junho Oppa continues, “When I think about it, about those girls who bullied you back then, they bullied you must because of some reasons, right? I mean, they would not just go around bully random people. There must be a reason why they did that. What have you done Kim So Eun? You made something irritating, don’t you?”

“Aniyo. I-I…” I want to back myself up but I don’t know what to say. I’m just speechless.

“And the funniest part of all is, a girl who is known to be shy and naïve, hugged me tightly, a stranger she has never met before. The way she hugged me is so pro, like she has already done it many times with many people before me. Even my not-shy-at-all-party-maniac female friends at university have never hugged me. ” added Junho.

My feelings are indescribable. Oppa is accusing things at me. I’m shocked and sad. But I’m not angry. It’s my fault that he misunderstood me. Yes, it’s my fault. I’m the one who refused to explain to him. But still… I’m hurt. I didn’t expect he would think that far. I stared blankly at the ground, tried my best not to let my tears out.

 

 

 

Junho’s POV

“And the funniest part of all is, a girl who is known to be shy and naïve, hugged me tightly, a stranger she has never met before. The way shel hugged is so pro, like she has already done it many times with many people before me. Even my not-shy-at-all-party-maniac female friends at university have never hugged me.” I said.

My words are harsh and sharp, I know. I did it on purpose. I just want So Eun to stand for herself with those false accusations and speak up the truth.

Reverse psychology, people.

But for my disappointment, she doesn’t do so. She doesn’t react as I wish. She keeps quiet and stares blankly at the ground. This girl is really something. It’s amazing that my harsh words are not working on her. She looks soft on the outside but inside, she’s actually tough and strong.

However, her silence slowly makes me believe that all my accusations are actually true. If they are not true, why didn’t she deny it? Why? Why Kim So Eun, why? Don’t tell me you’re really just pretending to be nice in front of your family. It’s not like that, right? It cannot be that, right? Right, Kim So Eun? Ah, why are you torturing me with your endless silence? Can’t you just tell me everything?

As a genius man I am, no matter how much I start to become suspicious of her, I still need to hear her explanation. I can’t make judgment just based on my guesses and accusations even though she didn’t deny them. I’m gonna make her speak. I’m gonna force her.

“Why didn’t you say anything? Is it because…all those things I said are true?” I asked.

She’s still in the same position, still not saying anything. Damn!

“You better speak up or I’m gonna tell your parents about this,” this time, I threaten her.

“No, please don’t. I don’t want my family to know.”

She quickly responds. My tactic works.

 “Then speak up. Tell me everything,” I forced her.

“But Oppa have to promise that you’re not gonna tell anyone about this. Not anyone, especially my family. And not even to fishes in the pond or to leaves on the tree or to birds in the sky. No one,” she puts her condition.

Kekekeke. Her condition is so weird and hilarious!

“You have my word,” I promise her.

So Eun takes a deep breath.

“Ok firstly about the boy earlier, he’s actually the head of Student Board at our school,” she starts explaining.

I can’t hide how surprised I am. That cocky foul-mouthed boy is actually the head of Student Board? Really? Seriously? This is not some kind of joke, right? I don’t know why but I can’t believe what So Eun said. There’s no way that boy is the head of Student Board. There’s just no way. If he’s really the head student, I can’t imagine how awful the behavior of the rest of students at that school.

“It all started not long before Teacher’s Day last year. Student Board was the one who plan all the activities and performances for the big day. As a member of Art Club, I was also involved in making preparations such as decorating the hall for the event, designing costumes etc. We met the members of School Board many times while making the preparations but not once I ever talked to them. A day before the event, me and other Art Club members managed to finish our work on time but the Students Board was facing some unexpected last-minutes problem. I pity them a lot because they need to work double hard and they even skipped their recess time and classes. They looked so stress, yelling at one another and stuff,” added So Eun.

I nod as a sign that I get the story so far and tell her to continue.

“I heard that they might have to stay back until night. So before I went home that day, I bought them some juices and crackers, and told them ‘hwaiting!’ Then, After Teacher’s Day ended, the head student came to see me to say thank you. He wanted to treat me back but I refuse. Since then, whenever he sees me, he tries to make conversation and sometimes during recess he will sit next to me. He makes me feels uncomfortable. But since he’s the head student, I let him be,” she explains.

I listen to her explanation carefully and try to get the whole picture.

“So…are you saying that, he’s obsessed with you?”

My question makes her thinks hard.

“What does…obsess with someone means?” she asks me back with a questioning face.

Now it’s my turn to think hard. Seriously? She doesn’t know what does obsess with someone means? Seriously?

“It’s like…someone keeps following you, keeps bothering you..emm..or stalking you…” I try to explain and find the right word however she seems more confused.

“Why they do that?” she asks further, her face is really blank and blur.

I immediately remember her mother saying that she is very clueless about relationship, love and dating. She doesn’t have any experience in those things that’s why she’s so naïve. Looking at her expression now, I am now convinced that what her mother told me was the truth.

“Aish forget it. Continue with your story. After that, what happen? Does this have something to do with those girls who bullied you?”

“Emm I think so. They’re the fanclub of the head student. They kept telling me not to seduce him. Oppa, the thing is, I really don’t know that giving juice and crackers is actually a seduction. Minjung Unnie said that seduction is when a girl wears y cloth and winks at boys. She didn’t tell me anything about juice and crackers. Oppa I feel so guilty. I should be more careful with what I do in the future,” said So Eun with serious face.

Sorry but I really feel like rolling on the floor laughing my off after hearing what she said. Giving juice and cracker is seduction? Hahahaha. She has no idea how cute she is when she’s being innocent and clueless like that. But still, I mustn’t get blown away. I must solve this thing till the end.

“Why don’t you tell your parents that you get bullied at school? That’s the reason why your grades dropped, right?” I ask her.

She thinks for awhile.

“If I tell them, they would go to the school, meet the school authorities, report the case and things will eventually become bigger. All those girls might be punished and suspended. Even though they disturb me many times and make me feels unhappy, I don’t want to go to the extent that involves family. If they got suspended, their family must feel very sad and ashamed. Their families will scold them as if they don’t have enough scolding from teachers at school. Then those girls will feel depressed. They might do inappropriate things to other people to vent out their anger thus more people will be affected. I don’t want to be that selfish. To save my own self, I tell my parents and bring problem to other people. I don’t want that. It’s better if one person gets hurt and the others saved compared to one person saved and the others get hurt,” answers So Eun.

Her words make me thinks twice whether to argue or not.

The idea of punishment is to give lesson to the people who’ve done wrong. When you punish someone, they will realize their mistakes and will try to improve themselves. If we don’t open their eyes and tell them the consequences of their bad actions, they will never know their mistakes and will keep doing bad things. Punishment is also meant to give example to other people. When others see a person being punished, they will not follow his or her bad deeds. Punishment is a type of learning.

However, So Eun’s words are not wrong either. She got her points and they do make sense in some way. It’s such a different perspective. She’s more a forgiving type.

“Not only that, what I concern the most if my parents know about this matter is, they’ll become more overprotective and will watch every movement I make. Since young, I realize that they always give extra protection or attention to me compared to Minjung Unnie because Unnie is a very self-reliable person. It’s not that I’m complaining. I feel thankful and loved, and Minjung Unnie has never feels jealous of me. Instead, she joins my parents to look after me and shower me with love. However, I feel that it’s already the time for them to trust me more. I’m no longer a kid. I want to do well without depending too much on my family. If they keep spoiling me, I will never be able to learn how to deal with my life. I will never know how to manage things on my own. I may not be as independent as Minjung Unni but at least I don’t want them to worry about me 24/7. So, if I’m able to handle this problem, it does not only prove that I can take care of myself, but it also shows that I am a step nearer to a better me. To a better Kim So Eun. This is how I want to return my love for my family,” So Eun ends her explanation. 

I blink my eyes while listening to her.

Kim So Eun, seriously, what are you?

I thought the more I listen to her and hear her explanations about everything, the more I’ll be able to understand her and discover her true self. But no. I’m more confused. I am more amazed, I am more clueless, I am more speechless, I am more helpless. So Eun is actually a girl who is incredibly hard to see through. When you look at her, all you will think about are Barbie doll, lollipop, candy and crayons... Yes, she looks cute and childish on the outside. But inside, she’s so matured, thoughtful and wise. The contradiction of her outer and inner self makes her beautiful, both physically and spiritually. I have no idea how many times has So Eun blown my mind away today.

We both fall into a long silence. I’m thinking about everything she said to me, from the start till the end.

“Oppa, about the hug…” says So Eun suddenly, breaking our silence.

I’m snapped back into reality. Hug? Which hug? THAT hug? Ok I do want to know about it, I do want to know why she did it and I do want to hear her explanation about it. But, please, not now. I am still in the middle of processing and judging every single complicated thing she told me earlier. My mind is yet ready to hear another one, even though it’s the most anticipating and questionable.

She takes a deep breath before continues, “It happened because-”

Ok. She is going to talk about it. She's really going to talk about it. I'm not ready.

My mind, my heart and my soul...are not ready.

 

 

 

 

 

Author's note:

Yeah I promised to update two-three days ago but it has to be delayed because this chapter is too long!  It took quite some time for me to edit it. It is actually much longer but I decided to cut the final part and insert it into chapter 4.

I got bad news, dear readers. I think I won't be able to update next chappie this weak or next weak. I'm busy because classes have started. But good news because I'm gonna give out three important hints about upcoming chapter:

  • Curious about why so called shy, naive and innocent So Eun hugged Junho? Gonna explain everything about it in the next chappie~! (Warning: Heart fluttering! )
  • A bit more explanation about the head student who likes So Eun.
  • Miss A's Min and Sistar's Hyorin gonna make cameo in the next chapter.

 

Please anticipate my update...! It's not gonna be long, at least not as long as this chapter. Do leave some comments, ok? Enjoy reading! See you not so  soon.