Chapter 1

Would You Be My Tutor

 

 

Junho has always been fond of Minjung. Since the first day he saw Minjung during their orientation week at university, he has been attracted to her. They were in the same faculty and studied together in the same class for several subjects. In the first few months, they were awkward just like any other normal people when they meet new friends. But as the time passed by, they gradually became closer and comfortable with one another. They were in each other’s circle of friends and often hang out together.

Even though Junho like Minjung a lot, Junho didn’t have the courage to ask Minjung out yet. For him, Minjung was a bit out of his league. Minjung is not only known for her beauty and cleverness, but she’s also known as a skillful dancer who had won several national titles since high school. She has appeared on tv a few times and even do a part time modeling job. She’s an outstanding person. Seniors adored her, juniors wanted to be like her. Guys wanted to date her, girls envied her.

Meanwhile, as for Lee Junho…well, he’s actually not a completely “nobody” in his university. He has always been lecturers’ favourite in all classes. His grades have always been outstanding. Everybody wanted to be in his group for assignments. When he does a presentation, everyone’s mouth would open widely in amazement before clapping and give him standing ovation. He joined his seniors for a research team under supervision of his lecturer and often goes out of town because of that. But don’t get him wrong, even though he’s like a little Einstein in his university, he’s not a nerd.

People who didn’t know him would definitely think that Junho would always spend his leisure time by reading book, doing math exercise or going to library. No, Junho is not like that. He’s not like that at all. In fact Junho is actually an extrovert person. He loves going to the gym, he hangs out with his friends a lot, he goes to club sometimes and never failed to get himself drunk everytime he goes clubbing. He does last-minute studies like everyone else too, but what distinguishes him with other people is his gifted brain. Normal people need about two hours to solve 20 math questions, Junho only needs 30 minutes. He didn’t need to use much of his effort, time and energy on study.

His easy-going attitude and good social skills make him very approachable and liked by everyone around him.  But still, he did not find himself good enough for Minjung. He still didn’t have any confidence to ask Minjung out. He wanted to do something/anything a bit more so that he can put himself at the same level as the all-rounder Minjung. Something that can impress Minjung. Something more impressive than just good grades.  Sometimes he wondered, should he try sport? Or should he learn some new languages other than the 3 languages that he already fluent in? Or should he polish his literature skill to be as poetic and rhetoric as William Shakespeare? He wasn’t sure himself. All he knew was he was still searching for it, something he can do to impress Minjung.

 

 

*****

 

 

Junho closed his books as soon as the class ended. Without further delay, he left the class and head to the cafeteria where Minjung was waiting for him at the moment. Minjung said she needed a favor from Junho. It was so important that she couldn’t speak about it through the phone.

“Junho, here!” shouted Minjung from afar as she waved her hand as soon as she spotted Junho.

Junho walked towards Minjung. He put his bag down and sat opposite to her.

“Have you been waiting for a long time?” asked Junho.

“No, I’ve just arrived too. Less than ten minutes ago. Hey, go get yourself something to eat or drink first. This gonna be long,” spoke Minjung.

Junho wanted to get something for Minjung too but she already got apple pie and Macchiato for herself. Junho excused himself to go to the counter before came back few minutes later with a cup of Americano and pretzel in his hands. When Junho finally took his seat and sipped his drink, Minjung started to tell him the reason why she wanted to meet him.

Recently, her little sister’s academic performance in school has become very worrying. Her grades dropped drastically. The teacher even came to their house to meet their parents and discuss the matter personally with them. Before this, just like any other ordinary students, her dongsaeng’s performance in academics was consistent. Sometimes it dropped, sometimes it rose, but the drop was only in small margin. That year was the senior year for Minjung’s dongsaeng. She must improve her grades no matter what if she wanted to graduate with good results and enter a good university later.

The teacher advised them to get a tutor for her. Undoubtedly it was one of the most effective ways to help students improving their grades. Their parents agreed with the teacher’s suggestion. They promised themselves to find the best tutor in town for their little daughter. Since Minjung attended the elite Seoul University, her parents asked whether she knew any suitable candidate to be her sister’s tutor.Of course Minjung could only think of Junho. Yes, Lee Junho. Who else would it be other than that “little Einstein” friend of hers.  The smartest out of smartest in Seoul University.

“So…how? Will you accept it?” asked Minjung.

“Hmmm…” Junho didn’t give an answer. He put his hand onto his chin while giving a thought about it.

“I know you’re busy with research team and all but Jaebal Junho-ah. I really need you to help my sister,” begged Minjung.

It was actually a great news for Junho. Yes, he was busy with the research team activities but in his perspective, he’ll be in great benefit if he accepts this offer. Junho’s “little Einstein” brain started to construct some mind map. If he was able to help improving Minjung’s dongsaeng grades, Minjung's little sister and her parents must be so thankful to him. The family would see him as a savior, superior to Batman, mightier than Superman. Minjung would definitely feel impressed and she would eventually like him even more. At that time, there’ll be no more boundaries that limit his confidence from asking Minjung out. He can finally date her, the girl he has crush on since his first year at university.

Besides that, if he took the job, he would be able to know a lot more about Minjung. He would be able to see the house that Minjung grew up in, the interior, the environment. He would be able to see pictures of Minjung when she was young. He would be able to taste the type of food Minjung eat. He would be able to know the family customs, what they hate and what they like.  Ah, how much he wanted to discover all these mysterious stuff! All these things would definitely help him when he dates Minjung later. In other word, he’s going to accept this offer. It was a golden opportunity for him. He’s a total fool if he let opportunity go. He has decided. He’s going to put all his heart in tutoring Minjung little sister so that he can date Minjung later. He’s the Almighty Junho after all. Everything was going to happen according to his plan.

But Almighty Junho didn’t know…
He didn’t know that the one he’s gonna meet was an astonishing Goddess, who was going to challenge "the logic" of his so called Almighty-Einstein-like plan.

 

 

*****

 

 

It was Junho’s first day of being a tutor. He was waiting for Minjung little sister, So Eun in front of her school gate. So Eun’s high school was juat a stone’s throw away from his university. Since he didn’t know how to go to Minjung’s house, Minjung suggested him to pick So Eun up at school and go to the house together with her. Minjung actually could show the way to the house by herself but she has a dancing practice that day. Junho accepted Minjung’s idea as he didn’t want to trouble her.

More than 40 minutes had passed. The school compound has started to become empty. School buses have long gone, leaving their dusty grey smokes behind. Teachers could be seen leaving the school too, with already loosen tie on their neck. It was already time to call it a day. Where is So Eun? She still has not appeared yet. Does she need to stay back for cleaning duty? Junho decided to wait for another 10 minutes however So Eun still didn’t come out after the given 10 minutes ended. He couldn’t take it any longer. He decided to enter the school and find So Eun by referring to So Eun picture that Minjung MMS-ed earlier.

There were still some students in the school. Some of them stayed back for sports training while some others have club activities or school project rehearsal. He asked about So Eun to some students that passed by him. All of them didn’t give the answer he wanted. Some shrugged their shoulders, some shook their heads and some even ask for his phone number after staring at him from head to toe. Pfft. What the heck.

He went to the staff room and asked about her but they didn’t know anything either. They only brought Junho to her class, but unfortunately she wasn’t there too. Junho searched everywhere. He even checked the girls’ wash room but So Eun was still nowhere in sight. He gave up and decided to call Minjung. He stopped besides the washroom while looking for Minjung’s number in his phone. As he was busy looking for the number, he heard some noises. Those noises came from the rubbish dumping area, which was located not far from where he’s standing at that moment. He quickly went to take a look.

What he saw was a girl being surrounded by another group of girls, like in a gang fight. Two of them hold the targeted girl’s hand while another one girl grabbed her collar.

“You still have the gut to lie? Stupid !”

They pushed the girl and made her fall. All her stuff scattered on the ground.

Junho couldn’t stand to watch it. “Hey!” He automatically yelled.

Those girls turned around. They looked panic as soon as he they saw Junho.

“What are you doing? Let her go!” added Junho firmly as he made his way to the girls.

Those girls were getting more frightened. They let go of their grasp. They took a few steps backward, before running away from the place in fear. Junho quickly rushed to the poor girl that being pushed earlier. He helped her to get up.

“Are you okay?” he asked.

The girl didn’t answer. She kept looking down at the ground. Junho couldn’t see her clearly because her long fringe was covering her face.

“Why? Are you injured somewhere? Want me to take you to the clinic?”

The girl remained silent.

“You don’t want to go to the clinic? Emm want me to send you home then? Where do you live? If you’re afraid going home with me, I can call your family or friend for you,”

Still no answer.

“Or do you want to see your teacher right now? If you want then I ca-”

Junho couldn’t finish his sentence as the girl suddenly hugged him. He was shocked. He was speechless. He didn’t know what to do or what to say. He wanted to stop the girl from hugging him as he was feeling uncomfortable but suddenly he heard the girl sobbing.

“J-just for a moment…lend...lend me…y-your shoulder,” she said in her sob. The hug was tightened.

So Junho let her stay that way. He let the girl cried on his shoulder while he hesitantly tapped the girl’s back to comfort her. That was the first time ever in his life a girl crying on his shoulder. The first time ever! He didn’t know what else to do so he lingered his eyes around to look at the surrounding. His sight stopped at the girl’s stuff which was lying on the ground. He saw pencil, pens, keychain and exercise books. He read the name written on it.

Kim. So. Eun.